• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandemic

The Director General of DCA is my dad. Our house has the news on every waking hour. I'm currently at home for lunch now to watch the press conference a bit.

It's ridiculous how some of the press is just repeating the same questions but only with a different rhetoric.

So your dad is Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman? Interesting..

Finaika

The Director General of DCA is my dad. Our house has the news on every waking hour. I'm currently at home for lunch now to watch the press conference a bit.

It's ridiculous how some of the press is just repeating the same questions but only with a different rhetoric.

So your name is FlutterPuffs bin Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman?

sirap

Eh orang Malaysia ke? FIrst time jumpa kat Gaf.

tanuki

Gotta say it's depressing to see Malaysia in the news worldwide (and even on the first page of GAF OT) over this plane disappearance. The mood among my friends has been weird for the past few days, I don't think anyone really knows what to make of it.

Someone from my high school was on the plane with her sister and mother... this just hits too close to home.

Pandemic

VNExpress is reporting that a life jacket has possibly been found,
vatthela-3487-1394433611.jpg

Earlier, at 10h20, the aircraft's cruise Vietnam Marine Police detect foreign bodies in orange located Tho Chu Island (Kien Giang) 177 km to the southwest (07 degrees coordinates 47'30N – 57'12E 102 degrees). Seen from the air, square object, orange buoys suspected. Headquarters at the National Committee for Search and Rescue was dispatched vehicles move coordinates new foreign object is detected to salvage.

Source

trinest

What is the story behind this:
6) Declined to answer question on whether police report in Kelantan where a low-flying plane was allegedly sighted early in the morning of March 8.

Fjolle

I'm thinking that some military should have tracked the plane on their RADAR systems. A plane doesn't magically turn into stealth mode if the transponder is turned off, and i'm sure that most countries wouldn't allow planes to fly around in their airspace without identifying themselves.

Vietnam Civil Aviation Authority reported that it was not a life raft from the missing Boeing.

Source

Does airliners even have life rafts?

aeroslash

I'm thinking that some military should have tracked the plane on their RADAR systems. A plane doesn't magically turn into stealth mode if the transponder is turned off, and i'm sure that most countries wouldn't allow planes to fly around in their airspace without identifying themselves.

Does airliners even have life rafts?

Of course. It's mandatory when overflying water, but they have them in every plane.

Doesn't the emergency slide you get off double as a life raft? I think I heard that somewhere!

Yes, some can. But in most planes there are also life rafts. The ones i've seen are for 50 people.

Ok, this may be a really dumb question but would airliners have (waterproof) flares, smoke flares etc. That could be released with a flick of a switch in the cockpit, like many military aircraft do? Please don't crusify me for the dumb question. Just saying if it was an accidental crash and yet they lost contact with air tower, wouldn't they release such flares if they existed? (Sorry if it has been asked already or if it's a dumb questions) they probably won't burn longer than an hour or so too eh?

aeroslash

Ok, this may be a really dumb question but would airliners have (waterproof) flares, smoke flares etc. That could be released with a flick of a switch in the cockpit, like many military aircraft do? Please don't crusify me for the dumb question. Just saying if it was an accidental crash and yet they lost contact with air tower, wouldn't they release such flares if they existed? (Sorry if it has been asked already or if it's a dumb questions) they probably won't burn longer than an hour or so too eh?

No, they don't. They just have manual flares like the ones you see in films to do some signals when in ground or sea.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
If a plane disappears off radar is it automatically due to a crash or can it be because someone turned off internal components that relay data.

Can it be tracked if number two happened deliberately?

If a plane disappears off radar is it automatically due to a crash or can it be because someone turned off internal components that relay data.

Can it be tracked if number two happened deliberately?

There are independent SOS and other signal providers which nobody inside the plane has direct control over.

The whole dropping of all radars completely, no SOS signals, no debris till now is just strange.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
There are independent SOS and other signal providers which nobody inside the plane has direct control over.

The whole dropping of all radars completely, no SOS signals, no debris till now is just strange.

I know it sounds crazy but I'm wondering if this plane was a target of getting stolen by some terrorist organization and landed somewhere to the west of the flight path. With inside help from maintenance crew..

Fjolle

I know it sounds crazy but I'm wondering if this plane was a target of getting stolen by some terrorist organization and landed somewhere to the west of the flight path. With inside help from maintenance crew..

Sounds like something out of a Tintin story :p

But I don't think that you would be able to hide a 777 easily.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Amazingly, by every passing hour without a sign of debris, without a trace of any distress signals, alerts or records anywhere it's more likely that the plane didn't just crash/explode since some clue of such of a catastrophic event happening should be discovered eventually.

This definitely has the makings of the most intriguing flight incident ever.

akaoni

Banned
DyMslVP.jpg

The only possible explanation. Or too soon.

I'm not optimistic. How long exactly did it take them to find that flight that went into the Atlantic a few years ago? If you look at the route map there isn't that much ocean to cover, you would think they would've found traces by now if it did hit the water.

Fjolle

I'm not optimistic. How long exactly did it take them to find that flight that went into the Atlantic a few years ago? If you look at the route map there isn't that much ocean to cover, you would think they would've found traces by now if it did hit the water.

According to wikipedia some wreckage was spotted from an airplane 1½ day after the crash. As it took a couple of days to sail to the place they recovered the first bodies 5 days after.
It took them two years to find the wreckage and the black boxes.

Moosichu

Man, I feel so sad for these people. Just yesterday I was on a coast to coast flight and 40 minutes into it the pilot came on and said we were turning back due to a suspicious smell. Not knowing if the plane was ok or if something was broken, That was the one of the longest and scariest moments if my life. Can't imagine if something was really horribly wrong. Gotta do that flight again tomorrow. Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit being afraid of flying.

I understood that reference.

trinest

No wreckage yet, going to release the pictures of the people with stolen passports. Getting weirder and weirder.

@akaoni they found wreckage after a few days, and then did more detailed searches to find more parts of the plane and stuff.

What would even be the point of that?

You don't think just stealing a plane and making it just disappear isn't terrorism even if they do nothing with it? Its striking fear into peoples minds no?

akaoni

Banned
I doubt there's anything more to the passport thing, could happen on any flight really, but it is weird how their flights after arriving in Europe went to different locations even though they booked it at the same time. Is it even physically possible for such a large in-flight aircraft to touch the sea and sink without any large debris breaking free?

SmokeMaxX

You don't think just stealing a plane and making it just disappear isn't terrorism even if they do nothing with it? Its striking fear into peoples minds no?
I was responding to someone asking about terrorists landing the plane somewhere with 200+ passengers and like no fuel. Seems pointless because then they'd have to deal with refueling and doing something with all the passengers. Might as well blow the plane up or crash it into something. Also what's the point of a terrorist act if noone knows you did it? "Oh man I'm so scared of riding in an airplane with... wait, who blew up the airplane again?"

Dryk

What would even be the point of that?

It would actually be pretty genius if that was the ploy. People ARE terrified that a plane can just disappear without a trace. It seems lots of people had a grossly inflated sense of how well tracked a passenger plane is and their worldviews have just shattered and fallen apart over the last few days.

Also what's the point of a terrorist act if noone knows you did it? "Oh man I'm so scared of riding in an airplane with... wait, who blew up the airplane again?"
Being able to disappear a plane with no explanation is far scarier than claiming responsibility because you plant this into the back of the minds of 7 billion people.

"A plane can just disappear, forever, for reasons we don't understand. Anyone could be at risk at any time and there's little we can do to stop it because we don't know why it happens"

Ty4on

Since we're throwing out unlikely scenarios, how about this one, a cockpit fire.

In 2011 an Egypt Air 777-200ER had a fire on board that started in the cockpit while still at the gate.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-probe-inconclusive-but-short-circuit-379655/

Some footage from the fire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1I3txQexo

If an oxygen accelerated fire broke out in mid-flight I'm not sure the pilots would have a chance to do much of anything.

I doubt it would have dissapeared that quickly had it been a fire. Swissair 111.

Maybe if there's a very dangerous spot for the fire, but it would have to destroy all communication before any malfunctions are reported and planes are made of materials that burn poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom