• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if you check-in online you cant check in your luggage. Also if you change planes at least you inform the operator that you want your luggage back to get it on the right plane.

Im not flying that often as you can guess and I would never leave the airport after checking my luggage in.
You should try flying again sometime because you can definitely still check luggage after checking in online, and your luggage should get redirected automatically if you change flights.

Iranian man bought both passports for two friends? Search grid expanded to areas nowhere near the projected flight path?

It's looking increasingly like they suspect a successful hijacking and that they have no clue where the plane was headed afterwards.

You would think someone would take responsibility or have issued demands by now.

Very common. Check in online the night before, get sick, miss train, caught in traffic, change plans etc etc.
I can't imagine doing that, but I guess the odds are that you are right. It works out to 2.2% (5 people in 227 missed their flight) of the passengers didn't make it onto the plane. I bet that's actually pretty normal across the industry.

It'd be unfathomable for me to do myself, but the concept is plausible.

pringles

Oh, I think it was hijacked and crashed into the ocean somewhere. I don't think for a second it made it to whatever the intended destination/target was.
Hijacking gone wrong does seem like one of the few scenarios that fit..

I'm still far from convinced it's a terrorist act though.

You should try flying again sometime because you can definitely still check luggage after checking in online, and your luggage should get redirected automatically if you change flights.

I had to check up now what online check-in actually means :)

But in the case of MH 370 they stated that the luggage had to be removed from the plane due to the passengers not showing up after everyone already boarded. That was my question if this is also commonplace.

DyTonic

Banned
Massive breach in the aircraft's fuselage, perhaps from an explosion. The plane shredded and fell from the sky, and the ocean is too big to locate it yet.

Also, are you serious with that question?

TBH I just heard about plane disappearing, nothing else. So I needed to know something.

But in the case of MH 370 they stated that the luggage had to be removed from the plane due to the passengers not showing up after everyone already boarded. That was my question if this is also commonplace.

It's very common if there were flight connections. People often miss the connections while the bags make it in. Lots of bags also simply get put on the wrong flight too.

JonnyBrad

Very common. Check in online the night before, get sick, miss train, caught in traffic, change plans etc etc.

Don't have the source but they have spoken to at least one who didn't travel as his meeting was changed.

Business flyers missing flights is incredibly common.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Oh, I think it was hijacked and crashed into the ocean somewhere. I don't think for a second it made it to whatever the intended destination/target was.
So the question comes up - if it was terrorism, why hasn't a group claimed responsibility? The best theory I heard so far was the terrorist group simply wanted to hijack the plane, not get everybody killed. Something went wrong during the hijacking and now the terrorist group is too embarrassed to claim responsibility.

fatjax

Neo Member

back in the late 90's when I was throwing bags in the US, the common practice was if the person did not board the airplane, the ground crew was instructed to remove any baggage belonging to said person. Sometimes this meant emptying the whole luggage compartment. It sucked.

crozier

So the question comes up - if it was terrorism, why hasn't a group claimed responsibility? The best theory I heard so far was the terrorist group simply wanted to hijack the plane, not get everybody killed. Something went wrong during the hijacking and now the terrorist group is too embarrassed to claim responsibility.
Look at how long it took Osama to claim responsibility for 9/11? But yeah, the "not fatal" hijacking has historical been the MO of Iranian hijackers (with the exception of Islamic Jihad...).

Is it normal for a plane to go that long without tower communication, even before the last few minutes? I mean, there's no apparent negligence on the air traffic control side of this, is there?

Is it normal for a plane to go that long without tower communication, even before the last few minutes? I mean, there's no apparent negligence on the air traffic control side of this, is there?

I think it's been mentioned before but planes will and can enter areas where they have no contact with ground control and their only contact is with other planes. Someone correct or amend if I am wrong, though.

Ovid

If it was terrorism it doesn't necessarily have to be claimed by a group. What if it was a test run of something larger, like the Bojinka plot? Philippine Airline Flight 434 was the testing ground for that plot. See below:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Airlines_Flight_434

There wasn't a claim of responsibility for that bomb. We only discovered later that it was a part of something much larger.

Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind behind the 1993 WTC bombing was the guy who planted the bomb. He used a fake Italian passport to board the plane.

Here's more info on the plot: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bojinka_plot

I have a gut feeling this isn't terrorism related.

Raist

Banned
I think it's been mentioned before but planes will and can enter areas where they have no contact with ground control and their only contact is with other planes. Someone correct or amend if I am wrong, though.

Well, yeah. Above the ocean there's obviously no way to have contact with the ground. Radars don't have unlimited range. They figured something was wrong when the plane didn't make contact with its next ATC point in Vietnamese airspace as scheduled.

Anyone know if there were any high profile individuals on the plane? E.g. politicians, CEOs/executives, mob boss?

IBM Exec: John something... I think.
Artist: missed the name
Pilot: missed the name was political activist. 18,000 hrs flight time. Full flying simulator in house--instructor of some sort.

lol. Quick mentions on BBC. Google might help.

Edited corrected version in #post

Ovid

Is there a statistic of how many planes have gone missing and never been found? Commercial or otherwise?

Not knowing how many thousands of bodies, ships, planes, and various treasures are in its depths is scary to think about. Fuck space. I want more exploration to be done in the ocean.
Fuck space? Have you seen Cosmos?

SkyOdin

Stupid question... but is it possible that the plane was flown so high into the atmosphere that it disintegrated?

The big risk from flying too high is stalling. Not enough air pressure to maintain lift and airspeed. I'm not sure why you think a plane would disintegrate if it flew too high.

HoosTrax

Stupid question... but is it possible that the plane was flown so high into the atmosphere that it disintegrated?
Jet engines have an upper ceiling limit. Due to having blades inside the engine that spin to produce thrust, and thus they would not be capable of taking the plane above a certain altitude due to lack of air at higher altitudes.

Rocket engines don't depend on propellers / blades to produce thrust.

That sounds about right anyways -- I'm a software engineer and have no actual formal aerospace education

Darren870

back in the late 90's when I was throwing bags in the US, the common practice was if the person did not board the airplane, the ground crew was instructed to remove any baggage belonging to said person. Sometimes this meant emptying the whole luggage compartment. It sucked.

And it still happens today. Its just as annoying for us passengers as we have to wait for you all :)

Its not uncommon, Id say one out of every 10 flights im on it happens.

You can bet if you hear someone's named called 5+ times at an airport that they missed the flight and there baggage now has to be removed.

What are pilots trained to do if terrorists are on board? Like, if they somehow manage to get into the cockpit and put a gun to the pilot's head, is he supposed to just ignore that, or what?

crozier

After giving this further thought it dawns on me that if the hijackers were successful and the plane were rerouted, it's quite possible that passengers wouldn't sit tight and wait to see what happens next. After 9/11, *nobody* assumes the intentions of a hijacker are only benign.

HoosTrax

But we need more exploration of our oceans.
No we don't. Outer space has less nightmare fuel.

anglerfish.JPG

Ovid

What happened to the World Trade Center data recorders? Obliterated? Otherwise wouldn't they just be in the rubble?

Edit: I guess so, considering this is what happened to the Pentagon data recorder.
I never thought about the WTC flight recorders. I just always though they were destroyed by the confined explosion, fire and subsequent building collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom