• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
This shit is getting more convoluted every day. At this point I'm convinced we won't know what happened until someone stumble upon the wreckage in 20 years.

This is ridiculous. Is all this conflicting news the fault of the media, or the authorities?
Authorities are confused and the media has access to different sources with different authorities. The media is in essence just mirroring the incompetence and miscommunication.

syllogism

http://www.theguardian.com/world/bl...is-detected-by-chinese-satellite-live-updates
It seems that the White House is better briefed than the Pentagon press office. Jay Carney, the White House spokesman, has just confirmed that a new search area may be opened in the Indian Ocean, reports the Guardian’s Paul Lewis in Washington.

“It is my understanding the one possible piece of information, or pieces of information, has led to the possibility that a new search area may be opened up over the Indian Ocean,” he said, without detailing the nature of the new information.

He said discussions were ongoing with international partners to “deploy the appropriate assets” in any new search in the Indian Ocean. He added the new search would be based on “additional information” that was not yet “conclusive”.
Yep

In addition, it appears we finally have some clarity regarding the ACARS information

A source close to the investigation said communications satellites picked up faint electronic pulses from Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 after it went missing on Saturday.

However, the signals gave no indication about where the stray jet was heading nor its technical condition.

The "pings" equated to an indication that the aircraft’s maintenance troubleshooting systems were ready to communicate with satellites if needed, but no links were opened because Malaysia Airlines and others had not subscribed to the full troubleshooting service, the source said.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-live-3219331#ixzz2vgZhufeY

OldRoutes

Authorities are confused and the media has access to different sources with different authorities. The media is in essence just mirroring the incompetence and miscommunication.

Though the media wants to make this into a story, so they are likely to make it sound more convoluted that it actually is. Revealing the lack of communication between those nations is not new, but the context the news companies are putting it into makes it "O so abnormal".

But it's really not.

It really shows you the divide between the SEA countries and China. I think this is a product of the geopolitical climate of this area of the world.

Malaysia wants to find the wreckage because it is their flag carrier and China wants to find it too because it is full of Chinese citizens, and both are probably withholding information from the other, and obviously finger pointing now to make themselves look good on the domestic front. The real losers are obviously the family of those on the plane, regardless of citizenship.

pestul

Differently-priced tiers of disaster detection and locating availability? Am I reading this shit correctly? That is as fucking crooked as arms dealing.

apana

Fox news is so lol, "southeast asia well that's close to south asia" lulz. This may be some of the dumbest reporting I have ever seen them do and that is saying something.

luoapp

Reuters: Satellites picked up electronic ping from Malaysian flight MH370 after it lost contact with ground control: source close to investigation

Why is it so freaking vague on the most critical information, i.e. time?! Saying "after it lost contact" adds no clarity but confusion to the mess. If you know there was a ping, then you know the time. Just freaking say it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Fox news is so lol, "southeast asia well that's close to south asia" lulz. This may be some of the dumbest reporting I have ever seen them do and that is saying something.

They may be on to something. I mean East Coast USA is pretty close to Midwest but I'll need to make a couple of phone calls to confirm.

KHarvey16

Differently-priced tiers of disaster detection and location? Am I reading this shit correctly? That is as fucking crooked as arms dealing.

It's DAC service. You pay a company, usually the engine manufacturer, to analyze data you've collected so you can be notified of engine exceedances and other parameters useful for managing maintenance. There's nothing shady about it whatsoever. Just pure speculation but it may be that the airline only subscribed to have snapshots of important phases like takeoff and landing captured and analyzed. Continuous monitoring or real time alerts based on whatever configuration they have may be an additional service they didn't deem worthwhile. On the whole that's not a ridiculous position.

They've always been experts in geography

Fox+News+Needs+Geography+Lesson.jpg

198537_10151396405953942_1950501955_n.jpg

fox-news-geography-fail.jpg

tumblr_m9ivt09Dd21rdz3zyo1_500.jpg

Gragen

Meanwhile according to NBC news sources USS Kidd is moving to the Strait of Malacca, not to Indian Ocean, at the request of Malaysian authorities, and not because they have any specific evidence or believe that is where the plane crashed. Right.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/u-s-ship-moves-strait-malacca-search-missing-jet-n51931

This is ridiculous that this information is out there and I'm not confirming it's truth, but I can say that it's been an interesting week for us. Whether the plane is found by us or not, I'm glad to be supporting the cause.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Indian navy has now deployed assets off of the Indian coast.

This is just getting crazy now.

Seems like a lot of shots in the dark.

Fjolle

Indian navy has now deployed assets off of the Indian coast.

This is just getting crazy now.

Seems like a lot of shots in the dark.

I'm gonna search MY back yard right now!

E. I didn't find anything, I found out that I don't have a back yard.

Falk

that puzzling face
There's a tiny slice of it (well, tiny in comparison) where the plane could have gone based on last known location and fuel reserves. I honestly don't believe they're searching the entire Indian ocean.

MThanded

Former FAA Security Director finds it improbable that the airplane crashed due to failures. He believes that there was a takeover of some sorts. He also said thats hard to believe too because its hard to hide a 777.

He did bring up the question as to if there was something extremely valuable in the cargo hold.

Aylinato

Former FAA Security Director finds it improbable that the airplane crashed due to failures. He believes that there was a takeover of some sorts. He also said thats hard to believe too because its hard to hide a 777.

He did bring up the question as to if there was something extremely valuable in the cargo hold.

Might be why the Chinese want the plane so bad

Daft_Cat

It's unlikely the majority of debris would still be afloat or focused in one area....right? Are they using sonar to check for large objects underwater, as well?

MThanded

Pentagon official says that upon preliminary analysis from Malaysian data suggests there was data transmitted from the airplane about 4 to 5 hours from the time it disappeared off of the radar.

These were engine data pings. No details but it did not suggest the plane had crashed at that point.

Grym

Pentagon official says that upon preliminary analysis from Malaysian data suggests there was data transmitted from the airplane about 4 to 5 hours from the time it disappeared off of the radar.

These were engine data pings. No details but it did not suggest the plane had crashed at that point.

Haven't we already been here?

next news conference: Reports of Later Engine Data False

I thought this was denied by Boeing and/or Rolls Royce? Sauce?

Mully

The NTSB should just push their way to the front of the line and tell everyone that they're going to head the investigation. The Malaysian government has dropped the ball. This is a complete joke.

...sounds familiar

MThanded

The NTSB should just push their way to the front of the line and tell everyone that they're going to head the investigation. The Malaysian government has dropped the ball. This is a complete joke.
I agree. It's time to let the NTSB take over.

MThanded

What does the N in NTSB stand for?

The NTSB will also on occasion provide technical and other advice to transportation investigative boards in countries that do not have the equipment or specialized technicians available to undertake all aspects of a complex investigation.[citation needed]

Malaysia dropped the ball. It's time to get some more eyes on this. Malaysia already shared the info with the US government. They are admittedly probably ill equipped at this point. The black box only transmits for about 30 days so time of the essence. If this is a flaw that could impact other 777s then I think the aviation community in general needs to know about this sooner rather than later.

If this was a hijacking then the world needs to know soon too.

Jezbollah

The NTSB has run investigations all over the world because governments ask them to help. They have resources that no one else does.

I expect given the criteria in which the NTSB helps investigations outside their usual jurisdiction of the USA that this is unlikely.

3N16MA

Banned
Malaysian officials denied there was any ground data that would indicate the engines were running for another 4-5 hours. Has Rolls Royce made any statement? I haven't read any official statement from them but for Malaysian officials to deny it I would think they got word from Rolls Royce.

MThanded

I expect given the criteria in which the NTSB helps investigations outside their usual jurisdiction of the USA that this is unlikely.
Right now since we have no clue where the plane is or why it went down I have a feeling the NTSB probably would get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom