• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
Pentagon official says that upon preliminary analysis from Malaysian data suggests there was data transmitted from the airplane about 4 to 5 hours from the time it disappeared off of the radar.

These were engine data pings. No details but it did not suggest the plane had crashed at that point.

Malaysian Officials to hold press conference tomorrow to expressively deny this, that the Pentagon are wrong and they should not have released this information?

I'm not kidding, I'm not even sure we can blame the media for this absolutely odd situation of refutals from Militaries, Data Centres and Governments around the world.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Has anyone visited one of those conspiracy theory sites. They must be having a field day over there.

Not sure if it's been posted here yet, but the USS Kidd has been dispatched by the US navy in the Indian Ocean to a spot where they suspect the plane went down. 3 Indian warships have also been volunteered to assist the Kidd.

Obviously the US has some sort of strong intel of where it went down, and it looks like the WSJ article/info may be correct in that it continued to fly for 4-5 hours on a new course after it went dark.

3N16MA

Banned
The U.S. has confidence in their intel and Malaysian officials deny the engines were running. Only Rolls Royce can settle it.

Arcteryx

Has anyone visited one of those conspiracy theory sites. They must be having a field day over there.

ATS(Above Top Secret) is having a field day with the semi-conductor folks on the plane and somehow a "link" to "cloaking" technology. Aside from that, most of the usual conspiracy sites are pretty tame with this story.

syllogism

The U.S. has confidence in their intel and Malaysian officials deny the engines were running. Only Rolls Royce can settle it.
The confusion has already been at least partly resolved, as stated earlier

However, the signals gave no indication about where the stray jet was heading nor its technical condition.

The "pings" equated to an indication that the aircraft’s maintenance troubleshooting systems were ready to communicate with satellites if needed, but no links were opened because Malaysia Airlines and others had not subscribed to the full troubleshooting service, the source said.
The source of this information may be the satellite logs, rather than Boeing and RR

KHarvey16

Again Rolls Royce can't say anything since the data doesn't belong to them. The only way anyone could comment about it is if it's released by the airline and probably then the regulatory agencies. Informal, quick analysis is fine for directing an open investigation but it's not formal enough for public consumption.

graywords

This seems like a giant cluster fuck. Holy hell. At this point I really hope the flight was hijacked and everyone is alive somewhere. :/

Unfortunately this is incredibly unlikely. :( With that many people on board, if it was anything NOT catastrophic, someone would have been able to get out SOME sort of contact from a cell phone or similar device.

The best news we can hope for right now will be locating the plane at all. And even that seems unlikely right now, with the ridiculously sad state of info sharing going on.

Jezbollah

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/reports_aviation.html

These are the NTSB reports for every one of their investigations since 1933. The only investigations they have performed outside the US has, excluding US owned airliners, been for very minor incidents. They haven't investigated an incident on this scale for a non-US owned airliner.

Right now, the problem the Malaysian authorities have is that the incident has very much gotten political - and there is that angle where the involvement of the NTSB at this stage, where control and focus of the SAR effort has become quite frankly a shambles, may not be conducive to productivity, and may indeed hinder efforts. If the NTSB was to be involved, contrary to their past history, then it would have been in the first 24-48 hours.

Raist

Banned
What started as a tragedy is slowly turning into a giant clusterfuck. Seems many parties (some governments included) have no idea what the fuck they're doing, the press is all over the place.
I mean what next, China to stage a fake plane crash and pretend they found it, Lost-style?

What happened to the reports of military radars picking up an "unidentified civil aircraft" btw? I'm not quite sure how it can be unidentified to begin with? Wouldn't there be some kind of ID picked up by radars?

syllogism

In fact, WSJ has issued a correction that indeed seems to say the information is based on satellite data rather than engine data

The investigators believe the plane flew for a total of up to five hours, according to these people, based on analysis of signals sent by the Boeing BA -1.88% 777's satellite-communication link designed to automatically transmit the status of certain onboard systems to the ground.

Throughout the roughly four hours after the jet dropped from civilian radar screens, these people said, the link operated in a kind of standby mode and sought to establish contact with a satellite or satellites. These transmissions did not include data, they said, but the periodic contacts indicate to investigators that the plane was still intact and believed to be flying.

Investigators are still working to fully understand the information, according to one person briefed on the matter. The transmissions, this person said, were comparable to the plane "saying I'm here, I'm ready to send data."
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...3086282.html?mod=WSJEurope_hpp_LEFTTopStories

No data was actually sent, so Malaysian claim that the last ACARS communication was at 1:07am is accurate. It's possible Boeing and RR did not have access to this information either.

3N16MA

Banned
The confusion has already been at least partly resolved, as stated earlier

The source of this information may be the satellite logs, rather than Boeing and RR

Again Rolls Royce can't say anything since the data doesn't belong to them. The only way anyone could comment about it is if it's released by the airline and probably then the regulatory agencies. Informal, quick analysis is fine for directing an open investigation but it's not formal enough for public consumption.

Thanks for the info.

KHarvey16

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/reports_aviation.html

These are the NTSB reports for every one of their investigations since 1933. The only investigations they have performed outside the US has, excluding US owned airliners, been for very minor incidents. They haven't investigated an incident on this scale for a non-US owned airliner.

Right now, the problem the Malaysian authorities have is that the incident has very much gotten political - and there is that angle where the involvement of the NTSB at this stage, where control and focus of the SAR effort has become quite frankly a shambles, may not be conducive to productivity, and may indeed hinder efforts. If the NTSB was to be involved, contrary to their past history, then it would have been in the first 24-48 hours.

That is not all of the accidents the NTSB has investigated over the years, only the ones they issued formal reports for. I regularly work with both the NTSB and the FAA on crash investigations involving smaller aircraft all over the world. They are requested(by either the country or the manufacturer, or both) in some cases for their expertise and/or because foreign regulatory agencies have agreements with the FAA and European agencies regarding reciprocity for certifications and things like that. Even if they do not issue the official document they work to coordinate the investigation because they have the experience other countries do not.

Also as a notable example Egypt requested the NTSB to run the investigation into the Egyptair incident in the late 90's. The report either isn't listed on that link or it's under MA or something since it crashed off the coast.

railGUN

Banned
That is not all of the accidents the NTSB has investigated over the years, only the ones they issued formal reports for. I regularly work with both the NTSB and the FAA on crash investigations involving smaller aircraft all over the world. They are requested(by either the country or the manufacturer, or both) in some cases for their expertise and/or because foreign regulatory agencies have agreements with the FAA and European agencies regarding reciprocity for certifications and things like that. Even if they do not issue the official document they work to coordinate the investigation because they have the experience other countries do not.

Also as a notable example Egypt requested the NTSB to run the investigation into the Egyptair incident in the late 90's. The report either isn't listed on that link or it's under MA or something since it crashed off the coast.

If you don't mind me asking - what do you do?

Jezbollah

Interesting. Thanks for that.

Do you think the NTSB will get involved given the politics (especially from China) and the time since the incident now then? Do you know if the Malaysian government has an agreement with the FAA (I suspect the answer the latter is no).

Daft_Cat

Do you guys think Mugatu could be a factor here? Have we confirmed that the Malaysian Prime Minister wasn't on board the plane?

Just want to make sure no stone's left unturned.

Falk

that puzzling face

Heh, you should see my facebook feed. Hilariously enough instead of all the usual false flag idiots from this hemisphere, it's MALAYSIANS who are sharing this crap. The very same people that are whining about how "the eyes of the world are upon us" and "dumb shit like shaman rituals are making us look bad" and "sorry about the government we aren't as stupid as they are" when at the moment they're essentially being part of the problem of portraying the themselves as a bunch of insular, overdramatic mouthbreathers.

There's one photoshopped picture of Obama and the White House that's particularly popular right now.

Whatever sort of signal was sent to those satellites from the aircraft - doesn't there have to be general power to the aircraft to transmit the signal? And if so, wouldn't that in itself prove the aircraft was operating for the full five hours?

Also, does anyone know anymore about the oil rig worker's claims?
I wish he published at what time he saw the plane on fire... that would have helped matters!

KHarvey16

Interesting. Thanks for that.

Do you think the NTSB will get involved given the politics (especially from China) and the time since the incident now then? Do you know if the Malaysian government has an agreement with the FAA (I suspect the answer the latter is no).

I'm sure the NTSB and FAA are doing a lot to coordinate with US suppliers and certainly Boeing to assist with the recovery effort and prepare for the investigation. What role they're asked to take is up to the Malaysian government but I have to imagine they'll leverage all the expertise they can once this swings out of recovery mode. It's a bit dicey at this point since it's still in such an early phase and assets and information from a bunch of disparate agencies are all trying to work together.

Not sure of any formal agreements.

Whatever sort of signal was sent to those satellites from the aircraft - doesn't there have to be general power to the aircraft to transmit the signal? And if so, wouldn't that in itself prove the aircraft was operating for the full five hours?
I think the fact that there was any sort of signal after the disappearance has been contested.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think the fact that there was any sort of signal after the disappearance has been contested.
Pentagon officials have claimed otherwise now. Not sure. We do have confirmation that US is sending assets to the Indian Ocean. Could be another shot in the dark.

This is now the most imcompetent plane search ever

It is also the longest grieving moments in modern aviation time where families have no idea about the life and death of their loved ones

Arcteryx

Also, does anyone know anymore about the oil rig worker's claims?
I wish he published at what time he saw the plane on fire... that would have helped matters!

http://www.honeywell.com/sites/aero...5DA_HAF4748F3-42EF-F1E6-0E4B-B3C77023F099.htm

Let us hope that aviation as a whole wakes up and actually installs soms hardware that makes it able to track these damn planes via sattelite, even when the power shuts down.

BilPDK-CIAAgkc5.png

Source

.GqueB.

Banned
Let us hope that aviation as a whole wakes up and actually installs soms hardware that makes it able to track these damn planes via sattelite, even when the power shuts down.

Too complicated. Just attach a piece of fishing wire to every plane that takes off. Impossible to misplace. With my method, a guy in a boat would be able to track it down.

Problem solved. One trillion dollars please.

Prez

I've been thinking. Would it make sense to have a sizeable container with a bright-colored liquid in each plane that would leak after a crash? That way software could be set up to look for that specific color in satellite images.

Magni

I've been thinking. Would it make sense to have a sizeable container with a bright-colored liquid in each plane that would leak after a crash? That way software could be set up to look for that specific color in satellite images.

Liquid is heavy. You want to minimize weight on aircraft.

Prez

Liquid is heavy. You want to minimize weight on aircraft.

Liquids that float on water are less heavy than water though. 100 liters wouldn't weigh more than a single passenger. That probably wouldn't be enough to track down on satellite though.

I am surprised people didn't turn on their phones or laptops and leave messages or emails for the loved ones. I am guessing 3g works at 35,000 ft right? or 4g? Some planes even have wifi these days

Daft_Cat

My dad's flies the 777 and has done so ever since Air Canada first bought them. I asked him if he had any insight to offer based off his experience.

His response: "I think it crashed."

Thanks, dad.

I am surprised people didn't turn on their phones or laptops and leave messages or emails for the loved ones. I am guessing 3g works at 35,000 ft right? or 4g? Some planes even have wifi these days
I don't think there is any network coverage in the middle of the ocean, 35000ft or at sea level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom