• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koomaster

So the passengers could still be alive?
No, I wouldn't go that far. Even if the plane landed, where would a hijacker keep 200+ people for a week? It takes a lot to take care of that many people. And for what purpose? It's not as if anyone has come forward demanding anything for their safe return. So I wouldn't go getting any hopes up that these people are alive. They'd probably have a better chance if the plane did crash somewhere.

cdkee

Banned
Shit what the hell is going on? Hijacking gone wrong? Or could they have landed somewhere? This is bond villian level if they were successful.

Shit what the hell is going on? Hijacking gone wrong? Or could they have landed somewhere? This is bond villian level if they were successful.

If it was a hijacking, it must have gone wrong. I'd imagine a terrorist or hijacker would want to do something much more disastrous, or at least leave the world a message to claim ownership, no?

Game-Biz

No, I wouldn't go that far. Even if the plane landed, where would a hijacker keep 200+ people for a week? It takes a lot to take care of that many people. And for what purpose? It's not as if anyone has come forward demanding anything for their safe return. So I wouldn't go getting any hopes up that these people are alive. They'd probably have a better chance if the plane did crash somewhere.
Yeah, food and water for 200+ people and keeping guard of them is not an easy feat.

Arcteryx

If it was a hijacking, it must have gone wrong. I'd imagine a terrorist or hijacker would want to do something much more disastrous, or at least leave the world a message to claim ownership, no?

Not necessarily.

It could have been a trial run to see if what they wanted to do was possible(and it looks like it was).

Prologue

When the news came out a week ago, I felt like they landed it somewhere. Nothing has been found in the water and no terrorist attacks have been held. They were also in the middle of the ocean when it happened. Why not do that closer to land if you had no intention of keeping the plane?

Why claim ownership so soon? Its a wild goose chase until something is said and then a manhunt begins. Some people say its a trial run but things like these are one shot thing. Whatever faults that would be taken advantage of would soon be corrected and the world will be on alert. Surprise is the only way. If no wreckage is found soon, something big is going to happen.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
What does "hijacking" mean here? One of the pilots stealing the plane? Or a real hijacking?
By hijack they simply mean someone who set out to divert the plane from its normal course. It most certainly was someone who had a detailed knowledge of the 777 which points to the pilots or someone on board with similar knowledge.

HoosTrax

I guess that could mean either couldn't it?
If I'm riding a Greyhound and the bus driver has a mental breakdown, and takes everyone on a joyride, I don't call that a "carjacking". I mean, I'm sure the press and officials might refer to either as a "hijacking" in this case, but I just find it an awkward way to describe the scenario when a pilot doesn't do what he's supposed to with his aircraft.

Anyways, I'm being pedantic.

---

This whole thing is going to be a bit unnerving if say, the young co-pilot turned out to be a sleeper agent for a terrorist organization. I'm obviously not saying there's any evidence to support that conclusion, but in the case of the US, that might be one of the ways to successfully hijack a plane, as doing it the conventional way would be less likely to succeed post 9-11 (see: Richard Reid).

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If this was a true hijack what was the plan. If you are skilled enough to know where to fly the plane you should also be skilled enough to know you cant make it over the indian ocean.

lj167

So if it was hijacked by someone with an intimate knowledge of the aircraft (and considering the history of press reports in this story, that's a pretty big if), would they be able to land the plane on a shorter runway than a normal pilot would? And how many tiny little islands in the area could conceivably hide such a runway? I know very little about the geography of that area of the world and even less about piloting.

Lamel

Banned
WOW.

This is just bizarre.

I was previously away from hijacking, because it didn't seem like a terrorist strike, and nothing seems to have come from it so far, but interesting news nonetheless.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If this was a true hijack what was the plan. If you are skilled enough to know where to fly the plane you should also be skilled enough to know you cant make it over the indian ocean.

Like I said, it's possible they turned the plane around and couldn't know where they were heading anymore.

subrock

Out of the loop but this news has me interested. Horrible horrible thing to have happen but I'll be cautiously following the news.

MThanded

Maybe someone intended to take the plane and hit a target but they got spooked and flew it out on the ocean because they didn't know what to do at that point.

I just dont understand. This is all so crazy.

Falk

that puzzling face
Another press conference taking place at 5:30PM press conference. This one is only Prime Minister talking about developments apparently.

MThanded

They will be taking no questions at this press conference. Technical details will be given to media at some point.

Questions answered at 5:30 presser.

Lol, already starting...

@STForeignDesk: #MH370: Malaysia's head of investigations denies there is conclusive evidence of hijacking: report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom