• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy fuck at the news. Has to be the pilots then right? Have they gone through the passenger and found anyone with significant pilot experience?

it has to be one of the pilots because he turned off the two transponders and acars just as they entered Vietnamese airspace

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Considering what happened guys.

THIS PLANE DIDN'T CRASH.

This shit is hidden away on land somewhere. This was well planned. If it turns out to be true and suicide wasnt a motive..

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hijacked, sure. Landed safely on a runway? I will believe it when I see it with my own eyes. I think it went down in the middle of the ocean somewhere.

Considering what happened guys.

THIS PLANE DIDN'T CRASH.

This shit is hidden away on land somewhere. This was well planned. If it turns out to be true and suicide wasnt a motive..

if it had landed we would know by now. you cant just land a 777 on an island somewhere, these aren't bush planes we are talking about here

Jimrpg

Kopite on page 18 called the hijack!!!

The government must have gotten calls from the hijacker.

When's the press conference I ran back home just to watch? I thought it was at 12?

SmokeMaxX

Kopite on page 18 called the hijack!!!

The government must have gotten calls from the hijacker.

When's the press conference I ran back home just to watch? I thought it was at 12?

It's in 20 minutes. I still think the hijackers are the pilots and I'm leaning towards the suicide/murder motive.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Hijacked, sure. Landed safely on a runway? I will believe it when I see it with my own eyes. I think it went down in the middle of the ocean somewhere.

Why would the pilot keep flying if suicide/hijack was the reason. Remember, they knew what they were doing. They didn't want to be found, that's the reason we can't find them.

This is insane. I wonder what they want to crash into. This is bat shit crazy

MThanded

Why would the pilot keep flying if suicide/hijack was the reason. Remember, they knew what they were doing. They didn't want to be found, that's the reason we can't find them.
You need quite a big runway to land this plane. A skilled pilot can evade radar detection but without a decent sized runway you aren't putting this beast on the ground.

Jimrpg

It's in 20 minutes. I still think the hijackers are the pilots and I'm leaning towards the suicide/murder motive.

Yep I think so. That could be also why malaysia airlines didn't say so straight away. Especially Malaysians who would want to sit on another Malaysian airline flight if u knew the pilot was capable of such things

he had an end game in mind, but imo his mission failed. i think he ran out of fuel or someone might have decided to fight back, just like egypt air 990

Both pilots? I find it hard to believe that two coworkers came to an agreement to kill themselves and 237 other people during a random overnight flight.

To be fair, I also think whatever really happened will be hard to believe at this point. Unlikely does not mean impossible.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
he had an end game in mind, but imo his mission failed. i think he ran out of fuel or someone might have decided to fight back, just like egypt air 990

I really hope so.. Either way this is crazy

If they pinged it at 45k feet man.. The poor passengers and crew.. Fuck man

MThanded

If this was a hijack then what a terrible situation for people on the plane. It wasn't even swift. This plane was in the air for hours. I can't even imagine.

SmokeMaxX

There's a lot of reasons they could've kept flying even if suicide was the intention. Maybe they didn't want to be found. It'd be difficult (though not impossible) for them to avoid radar detection if they wanted to keep flying. Although looking at the map, if they flew over the islands and then straight down, they could skirt around a lot of country's borders (probably out of radar range). Not sure if they had enough fuel for all that though.
Both pilots? I find it hard to believe that two coworkers came to an agreement to kill themselves and 237 other people during a random overnight flight.

To be fair, I also think whatever really happened will be hard to believe at this point. Unlikely does not mean impossible.

Well I posted about this several pages ago and my initial belief was just one pilot. I'm open to the possibility of both though. The only way it could NOT have been the pilots is if the pilots were in on it or their lives were at risk during the Malaysian ATC -> Vietnamese ATC handoff (since that's when communications went down).

If this was a hijack then what a terrible situation for people on the plane. It wasn't even swift. This plane was in the air for hours. I can't even imagine.

yea, if the plane was all over the place (45,000 ft to 23,000 ft) it must have been hell for passengers.

No one can breach the cabin right.

Guns are stored in there too?

I put my money on the young pilot doing this shit
I am betting it was one of the pilots, probably the younger guy

SmokeMaxX

No one can breach the cabin right.

Guns are stored in there too?

I put my money on the young pilot doing this shit
No guns on the plane. That's a huge flight risk. Cabins shouldn't be able to be breached from the outside although depending on how the carrier outfitted the door, crew could be allowed to enter and leave freely (like if the door had a keypad on the outside).
yea, if the plane was all over the place 45,000 ft to 23,000 ft it must have been hell for passengers.
Well the "good" news is that if the plane was at 45k for an extended amount of time, the passengers would all be dead/unconscious so they wouldn't have to live with the fear of knowing they were about to die.

Falk

that puzzling face
As of Astro Awani twitter, press conference is 1:30, or 40min from now.

I'll be recording (audio only) this press conference this time alongside the post summary. Shit just got real.

edit:
http://english.astroawani.com/videos/live You'll be able to watch it here. Right now it's airing yesterday's press conference so the information may or may not be out of date

JaseMath

If the flight was hijacked and it ended up crashing into ocean, who's to say the crash wasn't the result of revolting passengers? Whatever happened, I feel for the families who will very likely never get closure.

I think theres still some behind the scenes significance of the Chinese saying those three satellite photos were released 'by mistake'
I'm in total agreement with this. It seemed fishy then and still does now.

liquidtmd

Banned
I think theres still some behind the scenes significance of the Chinese saying those three satellite photos were released 'by mistake'

zeemumu

Maybe there was something on board that the hijackers didn't want found? I'm not entirely sure about the suicide motive. You don't organize a suicidal stunt this large then make sure the evidence stays lost so no one knows that you committed suicide. My guess is that it got hijacked and something went wrong in the air, like the passengers/crew fighting back or something, or the hijackers deliberately crashed the plane to make sure that something on board wasn't found.

KHarvey16

If I'm the airline or Malaysian government, I'd be ecstatic to blame hijackers. I don't buy it...

They haven't even specified who hijacked it. Don't go dismissing things out of hand because they sound convenient, worry about what's likely given the evidence.

How long could the change in course go unnoticed by others on the plane? Assuming that the radar data was flawed due to distance, and the plane did not make any radical change in altitude.

At first I was thinking several hours if the course change were made in a smooth manner by one of the pilots, since most people would be asleep and it was dark. Thinking about it further, though, I have a hard time believing the flight attendants would not notice a near 180 degree change in course.

If this plane was flying 4-5 hours, could one person pilot that long or would the hijacker need his own co-pilot?

It seems like a long time to be at the wheel all alone.

MThanded

I'm not an avionics guy but my phd research is in the safety and dependability space( I work with mixed-criticality integrated embedded automotive systems). From what I know about the 777 and other avionics systems, all communications systems failing would most likely mean multiple failures. These systems are built with redundancy and fault containment in mind.

I find it hard to believe that all comms went out without a single shred of deliberate action.

However, putting the plane down in the middle of the indian ocean makes little sense. If you were committing suicide you could have dropped the plane much quicker. If you had a bigger mission then putting it down in the middle of the ocean is a mundane way to go out.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe there was something on board that the hijackers didn't want found? I'm not entirely sure about the suicide motive. You don't organize a suicidal stunt this large then make sure the evidence stays lost so no one knows that you committed suicide. My guess is that it got hijacked and something went wrong in the air, like the passengers/crew fighting back or something, or the hijackers deliberately crashed the plane to make sure that something on board wasn't found.

Or they had no idea where they were anymore and eventually ran out of fuel.

Maybe one of the pilots was mentally ill and became convinced the plane had to be sunk in a remote location because it contained evil or God told him to or whatever.

Not even kidding, it's at least a remote possibility. Everything about this seems crazy, so perhaps it was a crazy act, in the hands of an otherwise capable person.

Falk

that puzzling face
BivmVoaCEAAt-AO.jpg:large

Press Conference imminent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom