• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

Egypt denied their co-pilot was suicide despite strong evidences suggest otherwise, Malaysia can do the same if they think it's necessary. They have the final say, officially anyway.

The Egyptian officials refused to believe it was a suicide. It likely had more to do with cultural differences than a company trying to save its face. Who cares about the airliner if that's the case though. It's not like it's the airline's fault if a pilot takes suicide. I'd rather focus on stuff like this than wondering if the pilot is having a bad day:
In the simulation you can see the condition levers being pushed forward just before the stall. Think of them as engaging low gear which is done before landing and helps the plane slow down (and speed up in case of a go around).

This airline is fucked. Who's going to fly with them if it's proved that the pilots did this?

doesn't really affect the airlines.

F7EKAaB.png

Gn8UySL.png

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
So things are pointing to a hijack? Isn't it obvious? If they haven't found debris anywhere near the flight path it should be clear that deliberate actions were taken..

AkuMifune

Banned
How could no one have tweeted or texted or anything, even if people were coming through and taking phones?

They must not have known until it was too late. I have no idea.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How could no one have tweeted or texted or anything, even if people were coming through and taking phones?

You ever tried to get cell service at 35,000 feet over the middle of the ocean.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?

It's more sinister than you think. The "pilot" turns off the comm systems, flies up to 45,000ft and kills the passengers just like that.

Linkhero1

It's more than likely that there's no phone reception at the height they were flying. I think it's been discussed already in this thread.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member

If, IF there were hijackers, or the pilot was involved or whatever, they could have had a small cell phone signal jammer. Not to mention, doubtful they would even have reception anyway.

AkuMifune

Banned
You ever tried to get cell service at 35,000 feet over the middle of the ocean.
Yeah, it was dumb. I just thought if they were that low and the cell tower was picking up signals from the plane, maybe. Or maybe a text or tweet would get through later after some delay?

This flying around and altitude changes seems like a nightmare way to end.

With or without this incident, MAS is quite fucked from a financial perspective anyway.
Yep. Japan Air stock tanked like concrete slab after the incident where the tail got torn off and the passenger plane crashed killing everyone on board. Not sure if they recovered after that.

Even though this is a morbid way of looking at things, I do hope it was a human element (error, manual override, terrorism) rather than plane malfunction, at least for the sake of everyone's sanity that passenger jets are one of the safest man made objects on earth despite their dizzying level of complexity. It is the only industry where every major discipline of engineering is tested to fault. Really one of our great truimphs in study and application.

lemmykoopa

In the case of a commercial aircraft crash is it the airliner itself that pays for the plane and paying the family of the victims or are they insured for this?

Tristam

Yep. Japan Air stock tanked like concrete slab after the incident where the tail got torn off and the passenger plane crashed killing everyone on board. Not sure if they recovered after that.

Even though this is a morbid way of looking at things, I do hope it was a human element (error, manual override, terrorism) rather than plane malfunction, at least for the sake of everyone's sanity that passenger jets are one of the safest man made objects on earth despite their dizzying level of complexity. It is the only industry where every major discipline of engineering is tested to fault. Really one of our great truimphs in study and application.

You referring to the crash in '84? There were actually four survivors. One of them was a 12-year-old girl who ended up in a tree on the side of the mountain the plane crashed into.

Falk

that puzzling face
No conference on Astro Awani yet. They're talking to a 30-year-experience pilot about stuff; right now it's about that waypoint plot map and international radars and if people could figure all this shit out (e.g. how to dodge radars) on their own (he's quoting looking off Google Maps right now)

edit: Oh, this is a replay as well.

Also this
501Awani ‏@501Awani 13m
Sidang media terkini #MH370 yang akan dihadiri Perdana Menteri telah ditangguhkan ke pukul 1 petang ini. #PrayForMH370

Press conference attended by Prime Minister delayed to 1pm so 50min from now.

edit: And now Astro Awani's newscaster -just- said 1:30pm

fajlkfjaklfjaskldfjalskdfja;skldfl;

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, on the flipside, what do you want them to do? Provide life-long personal slaves? Something is better than nothing. Obviously they're not saying material possessions are going to replace a lost loved one.

Falk

that puzzling face
Holy shit at the articles popping up online in the past 10 minutes O__o

We'll see during press conference I guess. Maybe the delay is due to breaking information/fluid situation/etc. or something.

SmokeMaxX

Investigators conclude missing jet was hijacked, Malaysian official says
Considering the facts at hand... two hypotheses have been bumped up on my "most likely scenarios" list:

1) Less likely, but Ethiopian Airlines Flight 702 was hijacked just a few weeks ago. Why?
An asylum seeker? Sounds awfully familiar. And this was extremely recently. Some have speculated that last month's Ethiopian Flight 702 was just a dry run for MH370.

2) More likely- inside job by pilot or co-pilot, most likely co-pilot.

I am so glad you are not an investigator. What evidence is there to suggest any of this? The copilot hitting the pilot over the head with a blunt object and taking over? Really??
I think he just watches a lot of CSI
Let me be the first to say that my Donnie Darko theory is about as plausible as these. "Got involved with bad people"? This is one corny post.

And they called me crazy even though no wreckage was found after several days and communications/tracking shut down.

luoapp

Holy shit at the articles popping up online in the past 10 minutes O__o

We'll see during press conference I guess. Maybe the delay is due to breaking information/fluid situation/etc. or something.

PM is attending? Hope they have some thing more concrete. The wording in the AP report is "concluded" which sounds to me is still lacking of direct evidences.

Falk

that puzzling face
I am not staking any bets on any source that doesn't have a name (credibility etc) attached to it. Not after this past week.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I wonder if the pilot might have been bribed by pirates, and then it turns out they were not pirates but instead suicide hijackers or things didn't go as they planned.

Big-E

Holy fuck at the news. Has to be the pilots then right? Have they gone through the passenger and found anyone with significant pilot experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom