• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrpg

HOLY fucking shit!!!!

I'll let falk do the honours

Last point of contact 8:11am not 2am as previous stated

Northern air corridor turkmenistan/khazakstan to Thailand

Or southern air corridor around Indian Ocean

This shit is the craziest thing to follow

Next up : aliens!

subrock

Deliberate human action can be in response to mechanical failure. That is why they are being careful not to jump to a conclusion about hijacking.
I can totally see this. Something goes wrong, forced to change course drastically. Although, deliberate cutting off of communication is inconsistent with this theory.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Deliberate human action can be in response to mechanical failure. That is why they are being careful not to jump to a conclusion about hijacking.
I'm trying to think of a reason that they would turn the ACARS and transponders at 2 separate times. During the time between these 2 events no one from the plane said anything was wrong.

Changing direction I understand.

Plane still flying 7 hours after it went missing.
They know the direction it was headed.
Now all they need to do is the math based on the fuel it was carrying, and pinpointing a search radius should be relatively straightforward.

Could they have dumped all the people and cargo somewhere in order to get better fuel efficiency?

Wish I was joking about this.

Kolgar

Diverted on purpose. Comms disabled. Ping 7 hours later?

Some terrorists got themselves a 777 and a shitload of hostages.

KHarvey16

This is what I was wondering. "Deliberate" is pretty vague.

Deliberate as in not a plane full of unconscious people continuing along a programmed flight path. Controlled flight, in other words. A conscious decision was made by someone to deviate from the original flight plan, either by controlling the plane manually or reprogramming the navigation.

MThanded

I assume the northern route also includes iran, afghanistan, pakistan if they said it goes up to the kazakhstan border.

Arcteryx

WMXaTPn.jpg

Well, now they get to shift their search patterns.

He's a bitch. Did you watch the press conference? Shame on him.

Najib is highly conservative and media-shy when it comes to problems, and typically tends to delegate 'shitty situations' to his right/left arms to handle the more troubling and politically sensitive developments.

Of course, this situation has escalated to the point where he needs to be the front-runner in this problem, but it's clear that he's uncomfortable with it, because the report was basically a summary and confirmation of the past week's news and it's still something that they can't pivot as solvable anytime soon.

D23

this whole thing is sooo bizarre!!

i just cant imagine what the families of those passengers are going thru right now!

dextran

Thailand to Kazakhstan is a large distance. Pakistan, Afghanistan, western China are all in between. We need a new radius from last known contact to spur more theories.

crozier

Terrorists don't even need the hostages. Someone in here was comm nav or avionics, right? Could they be after the IFF transponder you think?

(Hypothetically, if the goal was to keep and hide an intact plane)

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
How on earth have they not gone through the passenger list with a fine tooth comb yet and tried to decipher someone with a background capable of hijacking this thing? This is so bizarre

kyoya

You know, this shit is insane, it's as if our world leaders don't want to believe that someone is capable of doing something fucked up with a plane again. The fact that every Asian country and its leadership have been so laid back about this plane gone missing is infuriating, it's like another 9-11/WTC could happen all over again, or worse. This just says to terrorists that "Yeah, get an airliner out of Asia unseen? No problem!"

MThanded

You know, this shit is insane, it's as if our world leaders don't want to believe that someone is capable of doing something fucked up with a plane again. The fact that every Asian country and its leadership have been so laid back about this plane gone missing is infuriating, it's like another 9-11/WTC could happen all over again, or worse. This just says to terrorists that "Yeah, get an airliner out of Asia unseen? No problem!"
If this was truly maliciously deliberate the person or persons behind this knew how lax the radar was in that part of the world.

sagat2036

How on earth have they not gone through the passenger list with a fine tooth comb yet and tried to decipher someone with a background capable of hijacking this thing? This is so bizarre

2 stolen passports remember! Iam thinkin 8/9 days is far to long to find this out Malaysia sure fucked this up.

KHarvey16

I can totally see this. Something goes wrong, forced to change course drastically. Although, deliberate cutting off of communication is inconsistent with this theory.

I'm trying to think of a reason that they would turn the ACARS and transponders at 2 separate times. During the time between these 2 events no one from the plane said anything was wrong.

Changing direction I understand.

It's unlikely certainly but they're being careful. If there was some kind of fire it isn't inconceivable that they would systematically shut down components but that certainly wouldn't be my guess as to what happened. It's out of an abundance of caution to not eliminate it as a possible explanation at this point which I think they have a responsibility to continue.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Could they have dumped all the people and cargo somewhere in order to get better fuel efficiency?

Wish I was joking about this.
Not probable. You can't just open the doors of a 777 during flight and dump stuff out. These kinds of things were taken into aircraft design consideration after D.B. Cooper parachuted off that 727.

crozier

if you've been following the story, this makes 0 sense

why the fuck would they disable comms?
If communications were deliberately shut down and the plane rerouted, the only thing that logically makes sense is that the plane was stolen IMO. And one or both pilots would probably need to be involved.

ohNOitsRO

8:11 am ping? 3 hours after the fuel was supposed to run out? Sounds like it definitely landed..

Dudes, the US definitely knows where this shit is, and it is holding back info to fucking Rambo in and steal that shit back no joke

cdkee

Banned
If communications were deliberately shut down and the plane rerouted, the only thing that logically makes sense is that the plane was stolen IMO. And one or both pilots would probably need to be involved.

That's nuts. Imagine if some people kidnapped the pilot's families or something. This is some next level villiany right here.

crozier

It's unlikely certainly but they're being careful. If there was some kind of fire it isn't inconceivable that they would systematically shut down components but that certainly wouldn't be my guess as to what happened. It's out of an abundance of caution to not eliminate it as a possible explanation at this point which I think they have a responsibility to continue.
Why would they fly for seven hours to the west if a fire, though?

hiroshawn

Banned
Right. So what isn't right then? This is some kind of cover up from Malaysia Airlines?

Precisely. I tend to follow the money when trying to solve problems. Corruption runs rampant in Southeast Asia. I believe that the Malaysians figured this out days ago and was just stalling pretending like they didn't know how to interpret the data. I wish I had more resources to fully investigate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom