• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I remember hearing, on the day it went missing, that it had 7.5 hours of fuel left at the point they lost communication.

I'll haphazard a guess and say it ran out of fuel and crashed. The questions are where and why.

It's a 6 hour flight, you would hope they flew with more than 7.5 hours worth of fuel.

KHarvey16

Why would they fly for seven hours to the west if a fire, though?

At that point there's no indication, as far as I know, that the plane was under the direct control of anyone. It's unlikely an event would be capable of requiring the crew to turn all of these things off and not destroy the airplane before 7 hours went by but it's not so unlikely they can dismiss it just yet.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Precisely. I tend to follow the money when trying to solve problems. Corruption runs rampant in Southeast Asia. I believe that the Malaysians figured this out days ago and was just stalling pretending like they didn't know how to interpret the data. I wish I had more resources to fully investigate this.
Your hypothesis is almost certainly correct. I also wish you had more resources to fully investigate this.

WorldStar

Banned
Why is this such a big deal? Wouldn't people who could steal one already have aircraft of their own?

don't they run like $250 million?

yeah...I can definitely think of scenarios where someone might be able to hijack one yet couldn't afford it...

not to mention if you were to hijack it, it would potentially come with 239 hostages...

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Dunno if it's been brought up yet, but associated press are reporting that an anonymous Malaysian government official claims the plane was definitely hijacked.

CREMSteve

This is right up there with 9/11 as one of the most dynamic, enthralling worldwide events to take place in my lifetime (I'm 38).

I'm absolutely starved for more information, I can't even begin to envision what the families of the passengers and crew are going through.

It's an unimaginable nightmare.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
If it was still sending data after 7 hours, it has to have crashed somewhere.
Nobody would fly a plane to a destination 7 hours away because there are too many variables involved like wind speed and so they may not make it there.

Edit: I should clarify that I assume the plane was only loaded with enough fuel to make it to China.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If it was still sending data after 7 hours, it has to have crashed somewhere.
Nobody would fly a plane to a destination 7 hours away because there are too many variables involved like wind speed and so they may not make it there.
Planes can fly for longer than 7 hours. What an odd logical leap.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This is completely bonkers - have to wonder the fate of the poor passengers. And what the plan for the aircraft is. So, so crazy.

Mondy

Banned
Assuming for a moment that the plane has been hijacked and landed, that whole thing of planes being turned into giant bombs during 9/11 just took a terrifying turn. Imagine what they could do if they loaded up the passenger cabin with a shitload of C4 or some other explosive ordnance. The collateral damage from impacting a target would be monumental.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This is nuts, I wonder when the general media will shift their coverage from search to insane movie hijack reporting.

Who has jet fuel lying around to fill up a hijacked plane without telling anyone?

Would you be surprised if multiple elements were involved at those hours? Coordinated operation.

crozier

Assuming for a moment that the plane has been hijacked and landed, that whole thing of planes being turned into giant bombs during 9/11 just took a terrifying turn. Imagine what they could do if they loaded up the passenger cabin with a shitload of C4 or some other explosive ordnance. The collateral damage from impacting a target would be monumental.
C4? With a 777 and a transponder they could fly a nuclear warhead right into New York and nobody would even know before it was too late.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
There is a strong possibility that it landed, refueled and took off again. A fully-fueled 777 can fly for 20+ hours, according to reports I've read.
Is that why the report of 7 hours worth of data is so surprising and you have to read between the lines to get at what you're getting at?

In fact, does anyone know how much fuel was on that plane?

Falk

that puzzling face
https://soundcloud.com/falk-2/mh370-malaysian-press/s-49JOb

For reference. Full transcript of the press conference. Pardon typos.

Malaysian Press Conference by PM Najib Abdul Razak, 2014-03-15 14:30

Will cover the 5:30 one as well. This is going to be both interesting and bizarre.

7 days ago, Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 disappeared. We realize this is an excruciating time for the families of those on board. No words can describe the pain that must be going through. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

I have been appraised of the ongoing search operation round the clock. At the beginning of the operation, I ordered the search area to be broadened. I instructed the Malaysian authorities to share all relevant information freely and transparently with the wider investigation team. And I requested that our friends and our allies join the operation. As of today, 14 countries 43 ships and 58 aircraft are involved in the search. I wish to thank all the governments for their help at such a crucial time.

Since Day 1, the Malaysian authorities have worked hand in hand with our international partners including neighboring countries, the aviation authorities and a multinational search force, many of whom have been here on the ground since Sunday. We have shared information in real time with authorities who have the necessary experience to interpret the data. We have been working nonstop to assist the investigation and have put our national security second to the search for the missing plane.

It is widely understood that this has been a situation without precedent. We have conducted search operations over land, in the South China Sea, the Straits of Malacca, the Andaman Sea, and the Indian Ocean. At every stage, we acted on the basis of verified information and we followed every credible lead. Sometimes these leads have led nowhere. There has been intense speculation. We understand the desperate need for information on behalf of the families and those watching around the world. But we have a responsibility to the investigation and the families to only release information that has been corroborated. And our primary motivation has always been to find the plane.

In the first phase of the operation, we searched near MH370's last known position in the South China Sea. At the same time, it was brought to our attention by the Royal Malaysian Airforce that based on their primary radar, an aircraft, the identity of which could not be confirmed made a turnback. The primary radar data showed the aircraft proceeding on a flight path which took it to an area north of the Straits of Malacca. Given this credible data, which was subsequently corroborated with the relevant international authorities, we expanded the area of search to include the Straits of Malacca and later to the Andaman Sea.

Early this morning I was briefed by the investigation team which includes the FAA, NTSB, the AAIB, the Malaysian authorities, and the Acting Minister of Transport on new information that shed further light on what happened to MH370. Based on new satellite communication, we can say with a high degree of certainty, the Aircraft Communications, Addressing and Reporting System, or ACARS was disabled just before the aircraft reached the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. Shortly afterwards, near the border between Malaysia and Vietnamese Air Traffic Control, the aircraft transponder was switched off.

From this point onwards, the Royal Malaysian Airforce primary radar data showed, that an aircraft that was believed but not confirmed to be MH370 did indeed turn back. It then flew in a westerly direction over Peninsular Malaysia before turning northwest. Up until the point at it left primary radar coverage, these movements are consistent with deliberate action by someone on the plane.

Today, based on raw satellite data which was obtained from the satellite data service provider, we can confirm that the aircraft shown in the primary radar data was flight MH370. After much forensic work and deliberation, the FAA, NTSB, AAIB and the Malaysian authorities working separately on the same data concur.

According to the new data, the last confirmed communication between the plane and satellite was at 8:11am Malaysian time on Saturday 8th of March. The investigation team is making further calculations which will indicate how far the aircraft may have flown after the last point of contact. This will help us to refine the search.

Due to the type of satellite date, we are unable to confirm the precise location of the plane when it last made contact with the satellite. However, based on this new data the aviation authorities of Malaysia and their international counterparts have determined that the last communication with a satellite was in one of two possible corridors.

A northern corridor stretching approximately from the border of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan to northern Thailand or a southern corridor, stretching approximately from Indonesia to southern Indian Ocean. The investigation team is working to further refine the information.

In view of this latest development, the Malaysian authorities have refocused their investigation into the crew and passangers on board. Despite media reports that the plane was hijacked, I wish to be very clear. We are still investigating all possibilities as to what caused MH370 to deviate from its original flight path. This new satellite information has significant impact on the nature and scope of the search operations. We are ending our operations in South China Sea and reassessing the redeployment of our assets. We are working with the relevant countries to request all information relevant to the search including radar data.

As the two new corridors involve many countries, the relevant foreign embassies have been invited to a briefing on the new information today by the Malaysian Foreign Ministry and the technical experts. I have also instructed the Foreign Ministry to provide a full briefing to foreign governments which had passengers on the plane. This morning, Malaysian Airlines have been informing the families of the passengers and crew of these new developments.

Clearly the search for MH370 has entered a new phase. Over the last 7 days, we have followed every lead and followed every possibility. For the family and friends of those involved, we hope this new information brings us one step closer to finding the plane.

edit:
I bet he has his hands deep in the airline industry. Something isn't right.

I'm not exactly his biggest fan either but until there is even the slightest bit of evidence of this beyond "waaah UMNO cronyism" etc. you can kindly fuck off.

FALKRANT (keyword for thread search, ignore)

Ecotic

It's so bizarre to think that this is a good development. A hijacking was pretty much the best case scenario for the passengers to possibly still be alive.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is that why the report of 7 hours worth of data is so surprising and you have to read between the lines to get at what you're getting at?

In fact, does anyone know how much fuel was on that plane?
No it is very unclear. Malaysia seems to think it could have gone all the way to the Kazakhstan border.

If some of the theories flying around in this thread are possible, then I hope countries in the west step up their border surveillance and get some serious radar looking up to the skies.

Enron

Banned
There is a strong possibility that it landed, refueled and took off again. A fully-fueled 777 can fly for 20+ hours, according to reports I've read.

Land where? You need a massive strip to land a plane like a 777. someone would have noticed that.

WorldStar

Banned
C4? With a 777 and a transponder they could fly a nuclear warhead right into New York and nobody would even know before it was too late.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty damn sure the 777 would get shot down pretty fucking quick prior to flying over USA soil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom