• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAME Cabinet advice

AaronB

I know we have some MAME enthusiasts, and I could really use some advice. I worth with a small after-school club that does Raspberry Pi projects, and we hope to do MAME cabinets by the end of school.

We're on a tight budget, so we're using Raspberry Pi Zero's to power them. We're using old computer monitors the school has lying around for the displays. I'm thinking of basing it off of this for the overall design, except using USB for the controllers. Each student already has at least 1 USB controller, which will save money.

If possible, I want it to have 4 USB ports where we can plug in a mix of USB controllers and diy fightstick-type controllers for multiplayer, maybe using this for buttons and the controller design from the other link. It would be great if it can also accept USB wheels, light guns, and other types of controllers even though we don't have the budget for them now.

One big question I have is whether we need an IPAC-2 for this kind of setup, or just a USB hub that plugs into the Raspberry Pi? I'd also appreciate any advice from people with experience with this.

Thanks

Couple things...

With that USB encoder, do you have the drivers for the Pi? If not, then it probably won't work too well (if at all.) It is extremely inexpensive for parts, though. Not sure how they can get Sanwa stuff that cheap, but it looks like it might be a good trial purchase.

The reason the IPAC-2 works is because there are native Linux drivers available for it and it can automatically configure for things like MAME.

Do you have an old PC laying around? I don't mean to sound discouraging, but it seems like a lot of work and money for something that isn't very flattering to look at. You could strip a keyboard encoder out of an old keyboard, wire up some arcade sticks and call it a day.

AaronB

Couple things...

With that USB encoder, do you have the drivers for the Pi? If not, then it probably won't work too well (if at all.) It is extremely inexpensive for parts, though. Not sure how they can get Sanwa stuff that cheap, but it looks like it might be a good trial purchase.

The reason the IPAC-2 works is because there are native Linux drivers available for it and it can automatically configure for things like MAME.

I found this similar-looking one on a Pi site, so I think it will work. That one doesn't come with the buttons and it's from the UK, though.

lensoftruth - I'm in the US; thanks though.

Sectorseven - we want to do it with Pi, but your post made me look for this. They might work if it turns out to be cheaper, or if there's an issue with encoders. The IPACs seem to run over $35, which is a lot for us.

Glix

I hate to be that guy but if it is a publicly funded educational setting you may want to find a way to buy some ROMs legit or something. Or maybe because its a school you can get some roms donated or something.

I just wouldn't want this to come back and bite you in the ass.

Edit - Also, does the school have some kind of woodworking shop? Maybe you can team up and have them build like legit cabs.

Sadly I think I just tossed a bunch of extra arcade stick buttons or I'd offer them to you :-(. I will double check once I am home.

Peltz

I hate to be that guy but if it is a publicly funded educational setting you may want to find a way to buy some ROMs legit or something. Or maybe because its a school you can get some roms donated or something.

I just wouldn't want this to come back and bite you in the ass.

Edit - Also, does the school have some kind of woodworking shop? Maybe you can team up and have them build like legit cabs.

Sadly I think I just tossed a bunch of extra arcade stick buttons or I'd offer them to you :-(. I will double check once I am home.

I feel the same way. Or get the means to dump the roms yourself.

Top Bottom