• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man drinks 3 litres of Coca-Cola a day, dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul Inman Dies After Drinking Three Litres Of Coca-Cola A Day

A man who drank three litres of Coca-Cola a day has died from drinking excessive amounts of liquid, a coroner has ruled.

Paul Inman, who had Aspergers syndrome, would leave his care home each day to go out and buy the drink, which he would gulp alongside water.

The huge volume of liquid caused his lungs to swell to four times their natural weight and the 30-year-old died in his sleep, pathologist Dr Deirdre Mckenna was quoted as saying by the Telegraph and Argus.

Although Mr Inman suffered from epilepsy and had to have his cigarettes taken from him so he would not smoke 20 an hour, the pathologist ruled the cause of his death was down to excessive drinking, behaviour motivated by his Aspergers.

His mother said after the inquest: "I've said all this time the cause of it was he drank excessively, absolutely excessively.

"He had done since he was 10 years old. We used to say he had a self-destruct button."

His is not the only death to be linked with an addiction to the drink. A mother-of-eight had a fatal heart attack after drinking up to 10 litres of Coca-Cola a day, an inquest heard in February.

The large quantities of the drink were a “substantial factor” in Natasha Harris’s death, a coroner said.

The 30-year-old New Zealand native, who had a history of ill health, died three years ago.

She was known to have smoked around 30 cigarettes a day, suffered from blood pressure problems and had had her teeth removed because of decay. One or more of her children had been born without tooth enamel, it emerged during the inquest.

Coroner David Crerar said Harris’s addiction to Coca-Cola had given rise to cardiac arrhythmia.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/29/coca-cola-death-paul-inman-_n_3351517.html

BigDug13

Even at my worst of drinking soda when I was younger, I never even close to approached this. I may have been close to 1.5 liters a day for a bit but that was short lived.

Labrys

3 Liters is 101 ounces... my water bottle holds that much. I drink around that much water a day.

....Am I gonna die?

phileep

To be fair, you could probably still die from drinking 3 gallons of water a day too.

edit: eerrrr totally read it wrong. 3 liters. Still, right? In combination with everything else.

That said, soda is the worst. Stopped drinking regularly years ago and it was one of the best choices I made.

Zoe

While they're attributing both those deaths to coke, the physical cause is completely different.

3 Liters is 101 ounces... my water bottle holds that much. I drink around that much water a day.

....Am I gonna die?

They didn't say how much water he was drinking.

Ferrio

Banned

....Am I gonna die?

Story sounds like he drinks more. He happens to drink 3 liters of soda a day.. and that of course that'll make a headline.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I knew a guy that drank 4 litres a day. I think he's still alive. He was 300+ pounds though.

....Am I gonna die?

It says he was drinking 3 litres of coke alongside water. He was probably taking in more liquid, but they just want to focus on the Coke to make it seem like that was the cause.

phileep

I'm trying to do this. Its hard.

It is VERY difficult. I went from having a soda with both lunch and dinner almost daily. On top of that I regularly would drink it during the day too.

If you're serious about it, you'll have some tough headaches ahead of you, but make it through that and you'll be fine. I will have one here and there (most times on weekends with dinner) but to be honest it doesn't taste as good as it used to. So it does get easier to say no after that point.

I have no idea how someone stands drinking that much liquid a day, every day. Let alone soda. Just thinking about downing one and a half 2L bottles in a day - eugh.

I feel bad when I have more than 2 cans a day (or greater than 2 glasses at a restaurant). Some drinks (lemonade primarily and particularly varieties like strawberry lemonade) are so volatile on my stomach that I can easily get a debilitating stomachache if I haven't eaten enough before/during. Pretty sure it's the acidity.

Man I love cola but 3-litres a day is nuts. A 1 liter Big Gulp at 7-11 is my once a month binge drink, I can't imagine tripling that daily.

Trevelyon

I do a can of zero with a meal everyday and at least a litre of water at work/on the go. Don't know if I can ever truly give up soda, or if I really ever want to.

Carbonox

That's mad. I'm glad I never picked up soda drinking on a regular basis. I might have a glass of coke or whatever once in a blue moon but I've pretty much drunk water, milk, coffee and green tea for many years and will forever do so. Aside from the odd alcohol binge when I go out with friends.

Arment

If it's a long day and I'm home all day I go through a 2 liter bottle. But most the time that means "until you get to the bottom and it goes flat". Hate flat soda.

Floex

Well, the guy had Aspergers so it probably didn't help trying to comprehend what he was doing to himself.

Mashing

that's like 1080 calories a day, which is like half of your daily calorie intake o_O.

I love me some coke (raised in GA!), but... yeah...

Actually, for a 30 yo. male (non-athelete), the daily intake is closer to 2400. Other than, yeah, a lot of calories from soda.

shitty headline is shitty.

end of story.

he did die *after* drinking 3 liters of coke, but not because of it.

this isn't like Harris at all.

mernst23

....Am I gonna die?

I was working a week of overnight shift last year and one guy who was easily 350+ and 5-7 drank six 20 oz dr peppers at least 3 of the nights. He also ordered the most expensive thing off the menu and had dessert for our comped meal, and was most likely the reason why the managers started to bring in shitty pizzas. Needless to say, the guy was breathing heavily just sitting at his desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom