• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man drinks 3 litres of Coca-Cola a day, dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I've been off soda for so many years, and everyone I know knows this as well, they know just to give me juice or water. It's just my lifestyle, after a while it's just easy.

Any of you who wants to drop it as well, just start now. It will become second-nature, and I've always been fit so I never dropped it for being out of shape or something, I just did it.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
That's a broad statement to make. Coffee in the morning is a meal replace for those intermittent fasting.

Having coffee everyday for morning instead of breakfast is fine but it's not healthy. That was the point I was making. I know people who do that (Especially in college), they become somewhat addicted to it. Having a cup every morning isn't going to kill you, but you could just have some cold water instead...

rezuth

I don't get this title, he didn't died from coke he died from over drinking coke+water. It was the combined amount of it not that it would be coke.

I'm just going to nod at this like I fully understand.

*nods*

Take a cup of water and put a dryer sheet over it. Everything's great! Oxygen can get in, carbon dioxide can get out, and life goes on.

Now keep that dryer sheet on the top and turn the glass upside down to simulate increased pressure. Now things kind of suck. Turn the glass back right side up and you have a soaked dryer sheet that acts as a barrier; CO2 can't leave, O2 can't come in, and now whatever germs were on the sheet have a perfect little breeding ground.

It's an oversimplification of course, but that's pretty much the gist. Lung problems end up being the way out of life for a lot (most?) folks in the end.

It's an oversimplification of course, but that's pretty much the gist. Lung problems end up being the way out of life for a lot (most?) folks in the end.
But isn't the fluid in the stomach and digestive tract? Why does drinking a lot of fluid affect the lungs and thus the heart's ability to draw in blood?

Please forgive my ignorance. The dryer sheet example didn't really help ;P

srddtbt.jpg

First thing I thought about.

But isn't the fluid in the stomach and digestive tract? Why does drinking a lot of fluid affect the lungs or the heart's ability to draw in blood and oxygen?

Please forgive my ignorance. The dryer sheet example didn't really help ;P

Prepare to have your mind blown: everything from your mouth to your anus is OUTSIDE your body. Everything is broken down in your stomach (and duodenum etc etc.) but then your body starts bring things INTO your body (your bloodstream!) through the intestines, including that 2-liter of Coke you just drank. Maybe some of the components are handled by the liver (food coloring maybe? I have no clue), but the rest is going to shuttle around for awhile and end up in your kidneys where some decisions are made as to what is going to stick around and what is going to end up in your ureters

As for how that affects your heart, imagine that your kidneys suddenly stop working. All that water in your blood has nowhere to go, so it sticks around in the blood. Maybe after a gallon of extra water is in your blood you notice your feet are swelling a bit, and after a little more you notice that you can press on your calf and you can see your fingerprint indentation in your skin. Drink even more water and your body has so much fluid that your heart has to pump as hard as it can just to get the blood out into the vessels and eventually blood is going to back up. Unfortunately for your lungs, this is where blood is going to back up if your heart can't pump blood out into the body. Pressure builds up in the tiny vessels there, and fluid starts getting pushed out into the little air sacs in your lungs. It makes sense if you think of blood vessels as porous; they have to be, or else blood would never leave and the only way your tissues could get nutrients and exchange gases is if they were inside the vessels themselves, which is a scary thought.

Odd that OP highlighted his soft drink habit but not the fact that he had epilepsy and a multiple-pack-a-day habit. I am surprised the damage his lungs was receiving didn't kill him even sooner.

diamount

Banned
Having coffee everyday for morning instead of breakfast is fine but it's not healthy. That was the point I was making. I know people who do that (Especially in college), they become somewhat addicted to it. Having a cup every morning isn't going to kill you, but you could just have some cold water instead...

There has been no evidence of caffeine being detrimental if taken in moderation.

'the coca cola effect'

There is so much salt in a bottle of cola... it is a drink designed to dehydrate you (with tons of sugar to hide the taste of the salt) so you'll get more thirsty and want to drink more.
It's the same effect as drinking sea water...

It doesn't get much higher on the evil scale than your beloved coke.

Probably one of those things more enlightened societies in 500 years will look back on and shake their heads.

I love how everyone decries the salt content of soda and never bothers to check the actual bottle. One 2 liter bottle of Coca Cola (about 64 oz.) has 8% of a daily value of sodium. Eight percent. That's not exactly the salt water you claim it is.

There are plenty of reasons to not drink soda, so you don't have to make up ones.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I should stop drinking soda but I can't, I'm a caffeine whore :/ I need to have something to drink and I can only drink so much water/juice before going crazy.

As for how that affects your heart, imagine that your kidneys suddenly stop working. All that water in your blood has nowhere to go, so it sticks around in the blood. Maybe after a gallon of extra water is in your blood you notice your feet are swelling a bit, and after a little more you notice that you can press on your calf and you can see your fingerprint indentation in your skin. Drink even more water and your body has so much fluid that your heart has to pump as hard as it can just to get the blood out into the vessels and eventually blood is going to back up. Unfortunately for your lungs, this is where blood is going to back up if your heart can't pump blood out into the body. Pressure builds up in the tiny vessels there, and fluid starts getting pushed out into the little air sacs in your lungs. It makes sense if you think of blood vessels as porous; they have to be, or else blood would never leave and the only way your tissues could get nutrients and exchange gases is if they were inside the vessels themselves, which is a scary thought.
Ahh OK, I get it now. Just overall pressure of the body cavity due to increased volume? I am now a bit smarter than I was a minute ago, thanks to you.

cheers :)

Ahh OK, I get it now. Just overall pressure of the body cavity due to increased volume? I am now a bit smarter than I was a minute ago, thanks to you.

cheers :)

Yeah, in this situation. Electrolytes (sodium, chloride, potassium, and calcium are the big players here) play a role in all this, as well as the proteins in your blood which maintain this really fine balance between fluids wanting to leave the vessels (on the arterial side) and then 'wanting' to come back in to take all those waste products out to be processed (venous side).

The rabbit hole goes very, very deep, and I'm nowhere near an expert. Glad I could help though.

Coins

Banned
I drink 3 to 4 quarts of Gatorade in an 8 hour workday. I walk between 12-15 miles in the heat. Is that too much? That shit is scary.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I drink 3 to 4 quarts of Gatorade in an 8 hour workday. I walk between 12-15 miles in the heat. Is that too much? That shit is scary.

You really dont need that much salt and carbs in your system but it wont kill you.

Gregorn

I really hate that clear pee can either mean you're healthy, or about to explode from all the water, it's not exactly helpful design.

It's so fucking sad that the only reason someone decided to link this article to my AS group is because people wanted to bitch about how "normals" will now think we're all soda freaks.

So fucking sad.

I remember in college my room mates would criticize me for buying 24 packs of Pepsi and downing like 3 or 4 a day.

Nowadays I usually only drink a soda if I'm eating out at a restaurant, and that usually is only about twice a month.

But yeah... sad way to go. Reminds me of the mom who drank too much water to win her kid a Wii on some radio show contest.

Arment

Sprite in a can is the worst.

When they're perfectly cold they're so delicious and smooth I find myself emptying a fourth of the can each time I take a drink just to make sure I drink it while it's cold.

I stopped buying them for that reason alone. We're talking 7-8 cans in a day for sure. Much easier to moderate with 2-liters. And cheaper. Plus ice.

antonz

Sprite in a can is the worst.

When they're perfectly cold they're so delicious and smooth I find myself emptying a fourth of the can each time I take a drink just to make sure I drink it while it's cold.

I stopped buying them for that reason alone. We're talking 7-8 cans in a day for sure. Much easier to moderate with 2-liters. And cheaper. Plus ice.

Really cold sprite is devious. Id put them in the freezer to the point they just start getting slushy and they were too good

Joni

At this point I think it is not Coca-Cola should be blamed. If he drank 3 liters of it each day, and still drank water aside from that; it is clear this also would have happened if he just drank water. Our body isn't really meant for 4-5 liters of liquid each day.

Uh yeah that article is total bullshit, My mom has been a soda addict for like 30 years. Shit she probably drank 4 liters a day. Drinking 3 liters of coke a day isnt going to kill you

i used to do 1-4L a day back in the day, but hey, that was a variance of 3L and i was way closer to 1L than 4L most of the time.

yes this is bullshit, i bet i easily used to do 3 liters a day. seems i know i could go through a 2 liter bottle and then some...

it's really not even that hard to do. not like i was trying, it was just natural.

and funny, i went on diet coke to try to lose weight. i found i kinda gained, so i'm back on the sugared stuff now. i swear the diet fucks with your metabolism and makes you gain weight.

only huge negative with the sugared is it fucks with your teeth. after i got used to diet/water, and went back to non diet soda, i could literally feel the plaque on my teeth each day at first. of course eventually you get used to it and dont notice anymore (yes i brush my teeth and all).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom