• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man drinks 3 litres of Coca-Cola a day, dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if he had been watering down his pop in a way to try to control or lessen his habit... seemingly to fatal results.

yep.

There is a thing called Water Intoxication

actually dont sweet drinks prevent?

as i understand drinking too much water basically upsets the electrolyte balance in your body a certain way. because you are not replacing electrolytes just fluid. if you do this too fast, you can die.

i believe drinking gatorade for sure cant cause death, cause it's sweet/has electrolytes. i suspect eating anything would also prevent it on the same principle. you need energy coming in not just mass quantities of water.

i bet soda might be the same.

Joni

as i understand drinking too much water basically upsets the electrolyte balance in your body a certain way. because you are not replacing electrolytes just fluid. if you do this too fast, you can die.

i believe drinking gatorade for sure cant cause death, cause it's sweet/has electrolytes. i suspect eating anything would also prevent it on the same principle. you need energy coming in not just mass quantities of water.

Salt. You're diluting the sodium in your cells.

Man

I have been drinking probably 2 liters of Cola Zero / Pepsi Max (0 calories) daily for the last three years... I initially used it as a crutch to drop weight (reaching my goal around the nine month mark).
I'm in great shape though but it's something that I want to cut down on. My teeth are fine btw.

antonz

yes this is bullshit, i bet i easily used to do 3 liters a day. seems i know i could go through a 2 liter bottle and then some...

it's really not even that hard to do. not like i was trying, it was just natural.

and funny, i went on diet coke to try to lose weight. i found i kinda gained, so i'm back on the sugared stuff now. i swear the diet fucks with your metabolism and makes you gain weight.

only huge negative with the sugared is it fucks with your teeth. after i got used to diet/water, and went back to non diet soda, i could literally feel the plaque on my teeth each day at first. of course eventually you get used to it and dont notice anymore (yes i brush my teeth and all).

I found the easiest way to cutback on consumption of soda without outright just banning it from your life ironically was switching to stuff like Pepsi Throwback, The sugar based Mt dew etc. The real sugar based sodas there is something about them that causes you to drink less.

'the coca cola effect'

There is so much salt in a bottle of cola... it is a drink designed to dehydrate you (with tons of sugar to hide the taste of the salt) so you'll get more thirsty and want to drink more.
It's the same effect as drinking sea water...

It doesn't get much higher on the evil scale than your beloved coke.

Probably one of those things more enlightened societies in 500 years will look back on and shake their heads.
This isn't the case in the UK. Sodium is 0 in Coke. Some yearse ago legislation was brought out to reduce salt in all foods.
As for me, I drink around 2 litres of mixed drinks, mainly Coke, pure orange juice/squash and tea/milk. However I want to cut down on the sugary shit but water is so boring.

Metroxed

I haven't drunk any sort of carbonated beverage (Coca-Cola, Fanta, etc.) in months now, I replaced them all for water. One of the best decisions I've made in my life. Truly, I don't regret it and I don't miss soda beverages at all. Actually, I can barely stand them now.

Water FTW.

Erasus

I haven't drunk any sort of carbonated beverage (Coca-Cola, Fanta, etc.) in months now, I replaced them all for water. One of the best decisions I've made in my life. Truly, I don't regret it and I don't miss soda beverages at all. Actually, I can barely stand them now.

Water FTW.

Again, the soda itself did not kill him. The amount of soda + water killed him due to pressure.

Also I dont see why soda cant be enjoyed. I used to drink 0.5-1L a day but I switched to light and cut down alot. I drink mostly water now but that does not mean I cant enjoy soda. People here can be so damn extreme

3 Liters is 101 ounces... my water bottle holds that much. I drink around that much water a day.

....Am I gonna die?
An adult should drink around 3 liters water everyday. Nothing wrong what you doing. I'm drinking about 3-4.5 liters per day and feel great.

Again, the soda itself did not kill him. The amount of soda + water killed him due to pressure.

Also I dont see why soda cant be enjoyed. I used to drink 0.5-1L a day but I switched to light and cut down alot. I drink mostly water now but that does not mean I cant enjoy soda. People here can be so damn extreme
You just have to check how much sugar is in Cola. Yes, you can enjoy it if you drink it regularly. I haven't drunk soda for months now, and if I drink a small cup of soda now, it covers up my whole day of sweet. Way too sweet, but at the end I can't eat much sweet stuff as well...

hirokazu

An adult should drink around 3 liters water everyday. Nothing wrong what you doing. I'm drinking about 3-4.5 liters per day and feel great.
Uh, no that's not true at all. An average adult should have an intake of about 3 litres of water a day from all sources, including the water present in your food, and most foods have water in them. The amount of water a person actually needs to drink is much less than that because they're already getting water from other sources.

Drinking 3 litres a day or more is definitely too much in most circumstances. Drink enough to not feel dehydrated, no need to overdo it.

Also ITT: Holy crap some of you guys make choices in your diets that I would consider extreme and extremely bad.

Prez

We should start putting coca cola on our crops. Plants crave elektrolytes.

Madness

Just now I drank a 2 kiter of caffeine free Pepsi lol, I'm looking at the empty bottle right now. I've definitely drank more than 4 liters in one day.

But there are times I've had over a gallon of water as well, no lung problems. This is throughout the day however, not all at one time.

Zukuu

Banned
How do you people do this? I drink a can of coke once every few months and it makes me incredibly gassy.
2x 1.5L bottles over the day. Just like you'd normally drink. ^^

You might have some intolerance for carbonated drinks. Maybe that's why you become gassy. Cherry Coke does that to me. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom