• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man, is it just me, or is S&M a really awesome album?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matlock

Banned
Michael Kamen and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra together with Metallica. It came from 1999, a great year for albums...

But most importantly, it had some of the best versions of some of their songs...EVER.

Between the deep and rich Fuel, the amazing back-to-back 17 minute swing of Wherever I May Roam and Outlaw Torn, almost everything on this album meshes into one of their best CD's...ever.

Makes me kind of sad that St. Anger is so genericky.

jett

D-Member
It's a pretty good album, I loved it when it first came out. I don't like it as much now, but it's still a pretty awesome collection of some of Metallica's best stuff. Just two things.

1.- Where the fuck is Orion?
2.- The actual concert is CRAP, or at least, the way it's edited. God, I bought the video back when it came out and I was so disappointed. It seemed like it was directed by an amateur. Total waste of money.

I never got around to trying this... I guess I should. I remember so many people telling me it sucked when it came out, so I never bothered. I'm not a huge Metallica fan anyway, but this still sounds appealing.

Matlock

Banned
Only one downside in the CD that I can think of...

Half of the songs sound like studio recordings with a live cheering track layered over it, kind of kills the mystique.

I almost wish they would have made a straight studio album of this. :p

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Makes me kind of sad that St. Anger is so genericky.<<<

And it sounds like it was recorded in a public restroom in one take.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Matlock said:
Only one downside in the CD that I can think of...

Half of the songs sound like studio recordings with a live cheering track layered over it, kind of kills the mystique.

I almost wish they would have made a straight studio album of this. :p

I saw the NY concert and it was pretty much the same thing. They sounded the same on the CD as they did in concert. The DVD also rocks, it's the San Francisco version with Michael Kamen.

What's funny is that for some reason, I've been playing various S&M tracks the last couple of days, and listening to Garage Inc. Damn, it makes me sad to hear what they used to sound like, and compare them to St. Angry That I Bought The Album. I'm on a Metallica kick now. I need to go out and actually buy the S&M CD and DVDs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom