• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man marries robot he made, plans to upgrade her later with the ability to move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

robo_wifey.jpg

With his mother, friends and coworkers looking on, Zheng Jiajia was married last week to a beautiful bride that he made himself.

The 31-year-old engineer graduated from Zhejiang University in 2011 with a master's degree in artificial intelligence. After quitting his job at Huawei in 2014, he eventually relocated to Hangzhou's Dream Town, a base for internet and tech startups, determined to begin turning his AI dreams into reality.

Last year, he started creating "Yingying." During university Zheng won a national competition by making a robot that could play football, but he really seems to have outdone himself with his robotic bride. Yingying can say simple words and recognize images and Chinese characters.

After two months of "dating," the couple decided to get married. At the wedding ceremony, Zheng's less than 1-year-old bride wore a black dress and had a red scarf draped over her head in accordance with Chinese tradition.

robo_wifey5.jpg

One pre-wedding picture shows Zheng lifting up his bride; later remarking that she's "a little heavy." Yingying weighs 30kg.

A friend who attended the wedding told Qianjiang Evening News that Zheng had decided to marry a robot because he was tired of always being nagged by his family about finding someone to marry. The friend explained that at university Zheng had had his heart broken, and after that never thought about love again. Zheng claims that his friend was just joking about all of this.

But for Zheng this marriage is no joke. He said that he hopes to continue to upgrade his waifu over the years
-- giving her the ability to walk, move, and, of course, do the housework. He hopes that he and Yingying will slowly grow old together.

robo_wifey6.jpg

Source: http://shanghaiist.com/2017/04/03/robo-wifey.php

Jonnax

Lol. Well if he's just doing this as a joke and to silence his parents asking him to get married, then this is hilarious.

If he's actually in love with the doll then I think he's LARPing some robot love fiction like Chobits.

I mean those guys that marry pillows much be doing it for the reason, right? Right? :/

Dynasty

Racists(Robophohes) of the future will say. Marriage is meant to be a sacred bond between two humans. I for one will be open minded and forward thinking and stand in support for this man to be married to this robot and have hot sweet mechanical robot sex.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The humorous elements of the story aside, mankind has to start somewhere. There will need to be 'pioneers' like this gentleman if we hundreds of years in the future might actually find ourselves in a world where marriage with robots/A.I is not a ludicrous thought.

Godspeed Zhang. Godspeed.

sinkfla87

"You'll never believe this but Yingying cheated on me with my best friend so we split. The worst part? I never got around to mechanically articulating her wrists so she never got to sign the pre-nup and took all my money :(."

"You'll never believe this but Yingying cheated on me with my best friend so we split. The worst part? I never got around to mechanically articulating her wrists so she never got to sign the pre-nup and took all my money :(."

If robots have to pay taxes they should be able to get child support and alimoney tbh.

#Allofit

A friend who attended the wedding told Qianjiang Evening News that Zheng had decided to marry a robot because he was tired of always being nagged by his family about finding someone to marry.

i can see this being the case

a chinese coworker told me that her parents have been nagging her to get married, though she said they have finally given up now that she's a few years past thirty

Just one step closer to Chobits! So when is this going to be fully functional, mass produced, and available to all? I'm asking for a friend.

As one who at one point fantasized about having a Robot Girlfriend (thanks Weird Science), I wish him the best of living that dream as not all of have that chance.

PillarEN

Kinda vaguely reminds me of Melania Trump.

Kawaii.

Just one step closer to Chobits! So when is this going to be fully functional, mass produced, and available to all? I'm asking for a friend.

As one who at one point fantasized about having a Robot Girlfriend (thanks Weird Science), I wish him the best of living that dream as not all of have that chance.
Thanks for reminding me of this show. I'll add it to my list of anime to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom