• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

HeadsUp7Up

Naw, BB is king here on GAF.

Eh we'll see in a few months. I think most of my excitement has to do with actually seeing Supes finally punish someone on the big screen. I used to always wonder why TDK was hailed as the best thing since sliced bread and everyone seemingly forgot about BB.

HeadsUp7Up

Batman begins last 30 min does not live up to the rest of the move though. The entire island siege was nonsense.

I'll give you that, it seemed to rush at the end to tidy everything up so it could finish. I tend to not have a very critical eye when it comes to movies so I can gloss over things pretty easily. Unless it's Jeepers Creepers. Walked out while it was playing and I had rented it.

Chaplain

Hope others enjoyed it as much as I did. Reading GAF before I saw the movie gave me the impression that the movie was bad, but that is the complete opposite of how my wife and I felt after viewing the movie. MOS is the best Superman movie equal to Superman 1 (probably because of all of the action and new take on seeing how Clark felt about his powers). It was so good that I am going to see it again on Saturday and then probably on Monday.

Batman begins last 30 min does not live up to the rest of the move though. The entire island siege was nonsense.

It was a better final 30 minutes than the final showdowns in TDK and TDKR. Having said that, the best stuff in BB was the beginning, while TDK had the strongest middle of the trilogy. There was not much great in TDKR except for the fact that Bale stepped up to the plate and gave a good performance unlike TDK. It was like he took all the criticism to heart.

JB1981

i think we should have gotten a trilogy. first movie on krytpon .. all about krypton, jor-el, zod etc ... 2nd movie about kal el arriving on earth .. being raised by the kents .. coming of age ..and then connecting with humanity .. villain could have been lex .... third movie about zod coming back to earth to find him

i think we should have gotten a trilogy. first movie on krytpon .. all about krypton, jor-el, zod etc ... 2nd movie about kal el arriving on earth .. being raised by the kents .. coming of age ..and then connecting with humanity .. villain could have been lex .... third movie about zod coming back to earth to find him

So, drag an already long movie out across three and make it more boring? Got it.

I love BB, but TDK is more consistent to me. I love the aggressively dour world and the last 20 minutes - with Two-Face in particular - are splendid.

So, drag an already long movie out across three and make it more boring? Got it.

Eh, I do think one of the problems is that they try to do so much with the plot, it leaves little time for the characters.

I don't know if I'd want to spend an entire movie on Krypton, but I would have liked to explore more of both Zod and Superman.

Eh, I do think one of the problems is that they try to do so much with the plot, it leaves little time for the characters.

I don't know if I'd want to spend an entire movie on Krypton, but I would have liked to explore more of both Zod and Superman.

I will agree with this. An entire movie on Krypton would be overkill. But more development to Supes and Zod would have worked wonders.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I agree, I would have liked to see more of Krypton. It would have made Zod and his team better seeing more of what made them take such drastic measures.

ReiGun

Valid though they may be, I am getting tired of the destruction complaints. Really wish they had handled that aspect better because this is looking like the thing everyone is going to focus on.

It was a better final 30 minutes than the final showdowns in TDK and TDKR. Having said that, the best stuff in BB was the beginning, while TDK had the strongest middle of the trilogy. There was not much great in TDKR except for the fact that Bale stepped up to the plate and gave a good performance unlike TDK. It was like he took all the criticism to heart.

Dude the last 30 of TDKR might be the best in cinematic history.

Dude the last 30 of TDKR might be the best in cinematic history.

j-jonah-jameson-laughing-o.gif

Oh, wait. Let me use something else.

talia_dies.gif

Why do we have six separate Man of Steel threads?

I ask myself that every day. It would be easier to keep track of in just one thread. Might actually create better discussion too.

DMczaf

I liked Man of Steel a lot, but it made me appreciate TDKR more. It also helped that TDKR was on HBO this weekend. Dat Bane. Dat Bale. Dat Selina Kyle.

DMczaf

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/christopher-nolan-sneaks-man-steel-572519

Nolan went to a screening of MOS with his family (in 2D of course!)

Yes, that was The Dark Knight auteur Christopher Nolan looking very self-conscious as he slipped into the ArcLight in Hollywood on the afternoon of Saturday, June 15, to watch -- what else? -- his latest production, Man of Steel.

Nolan needn't have worried: Almost nobody recognized him as he took a seat in the second row of one of the smallest theaters, along with wife Emma Thomas and kids.

At least the film's writer-producer stuck to his principles: A vocal critic of the stereoscopic format, he opted for the 2-D version of the movie.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fully agree. My ranking for
The trilogy goes

BB
TDK = TDKR

Blasphemy I know. I seriously thought they could've made two movies out of TDK. I found myself wanting it to end and couole of different times. MOS is my new top movie, until I see it again at least and the new movie smell has worn off.

I'm in this weird position where I like BB more but I think TDK is a better movie if that makes any sense.

And TDKR is a trashy mess

snorggy

I for one enjoyed the movie immensely. Yes, the wanton destruction was a bit much and maybe out of character, but you know what? A superhero has to start somewhere.

Keep in mind this is a Superman origin story, and that it was the first real confrontation in his life where he could and actually NEEDED to fight back. To draw a poor comparison, it was supposed to be sloppy and messy, like Bambi learning to walk for the first time.

Splatt

The movie moved too fast for me.

Seems like they wanted to get the origin out of the way as quickly as possible that they sacrificed emotional resonance for it.

Best scenes were with Russel easily. Zod's actor did the best he could with that shitty dialog, I loved his over the top reactions to everything.

I'd give it 7/10. I'm hopeful the sequel will be better.

Blader

This kind of thinking is why we have three Hobbit movies.

Dahbomb

Ok is the last 60 seconds not the best thing you have ever seen?
I get chills every time.
The last 5 minutes of TDKR are brilliant (even if someone doesn't agree with how to "end" the Trilogy). The preceding 30 minutes were middling with the whole bomb/Talia plot. Not an excellent climax to the say the least.

javac

I found TDK tiring and unwatchable for any viewings after the first and liked the former far better, but to each their own.

Same. TDK doesn't hold up for me at all after the first few views. The way each scene is concealed from one another and how it's paced doesn't work for me at all once I've already seen it. The movie becomes this kinda of Where's waldo affair. It's hard to explain but once you watch a movie you obviously know how it goes. But with TDK every scene feels self contained. I could really recall the whole of Batman begins from beginning to end but every scene flows into one another.

Same. TDK doesn't hold up for me at all after the first few views. The way each scene is concealed from one another and how it's paced doesn't work for me at all once I've already seen it. The movie becomes this kinda of Where's waldo affair. It's hard to explain but once you watch a movie you obviously know how it goes. But with TDK every scene feels self contained. I could really recall the whole of Batman begins from beginning to end but every scene flows into one another.

I wanted to kill myself during the boat bomb part. I was like give me both triggers and Ill blow both boats up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom