• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Solo

scottmosi1umf.jpg

Thanks for this, I was wondering how Scott Adkins felt about MoS.

So I finally saw it today

I lied before, feel free to ban me if you want Duckroll I don't care.

I loved it.

I absolutely loved it. I'm aware a lot of people don't like it and I can see why. This isn't necessarily the superman that stays by the status quo made back by the Reeves movies or even the Routh movie.

I loved it however, man Cavill is so great. There's a good amount of humor, not terrible humor like say the Nolan Batman films but whatever.

I seriously really loved it, it's wonderful. I have no need to compare it to the marvel movies and I'm judging it on it's own merits. I love it.

Maybe it went too far with
destruction of things
But I did love every fight and confrontation and I know everybody and their momma has said it but man Faora was gorgeous.

Exciting, great and man I'm satisfied.

Superman is quite possibly the greatest superhero ever.

Agree 100%.

this film has made way for a sequel that can learn from it's mistakes. i liked it but i think there's massive potential for the next one if they don't also make it so grim and joyless.

i smiled a lot during man of steel. but only because i thought it was cool (and also i liked the flashbacks a lot too). I'd like to see some humor and a more believable romance there too though.

i hate the condescending posts earlier that assumed those calling it joyless wanted clark kent to be tony stark and also save cats from trees and shit.

My man.

I saw the film last night and I loved it. Imo in terms of enjoyment level I'd put it on the same level as BB. Only minor quips would've been Zod's acting/script at times is cringeworthy and so is Faora's. At the very last fight scene I rolled my eyes thinking it was one too many, they shouldve just cut out the robot fight scene, tbh. There was some silly things in the plot such as why Zod wouldn't just want to start Krypton again on Earth and live like gods among men both with superpowers and technology instead of just killing everyone on Earth. If the option did come up I'd rather live superpowered than normal. I know he gave two rather weak explanations that Kryptonians would be seen as freaks and that his mission was to make a new Krypton through terraforming. However, I think the explanations are a little weak.

Despite the complaints, I do think it was overall a good film that was a little rough around the edges. I think compared to SR they established a good core universe that could be taken further, Calvin and Adams make a good combination. Hopefully with the sequel they can refine some of its flaws and expand more into the Superman mythos with him at the DP and his relationship with Lois Lane. Im curious what villain they will go for the next movie. Brainiac would be a logical next step but the Zod in this film kind of already fit that purpose and was almost as rigid as Brainiac. Maybe have Lex come back and start a movement against Superman using Zod as an example of how dangerous aliens can be. Doomsday could be a good one. Hopefully this one lets up on the dark, mature and almost distant approach lets up a tiny bit as there were some parts in the film that felt a little too Dark Knight trilogy-ish.

It's still the same story, although this time Kal comes along with the Autobot Matrix of Leadership for some fucking reason. The rest of the stuff is just window dressing. "Look, Jor-El rides a giant skeeter now!"

I don't understand the obsession with the origin stories and reboots in Hollywood, I really don't.
Due to comic rules and the general mythos, a lot of it will stay the same. However, this origin story changed some things quite a bit and fleshed out Krypton a bit more than previous origin stories.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I saw the film last night and I loved it. Imo in terms of enjoyment level I'd put it on the same level as BB. Only minor quips would've been Zod's acting/script at times is cringeworthy and so is Faora's. At the very last fight scene I rolled my eyes thinking it was one too many, they shouldve just cut out the robot fight scene, tbh. There was some silly things in the plot such as why Zod wouldn't just want to start Krypton again on Earth and live like gods among men both with superpowers and technology instead of just killing everyone on Earth. If the option did come up I'd rather live superpowered than normal. I know he gave two rather weak explanations that Kryptonians would be seen as freaks and that his mission was to make a new Krypton through terraforming. However, I think the explanations are a little weak.

Despite the complaints, I do think it was overall a good film that was a little rough around the edges. I think compared to SR they established a good core universe that could be taken further, Calvin and Adams make a good combination. Hopefully with the sequel they can refine some of its flaws and expand more into the Superman mythos with him at the DP and his relationship with Lois Lane. Im curious what villain they will go for the next movie. Brainiac would be a logical next step but the Zod in this film kind of already fit that purpose and was almost as rigid as Brainiac. Maybe have Lex come back and start a movement against Superman using Zod as an example of how dangerous aliens can be. Doomsday could be a good one.

Due to comic rules and the general mythos, a lot of it will stay the same. However, this origin story changed some things quite a bit and fleshed out Krypton a bit more than previous origin stories.
Yeah Calvin is so much better than Ralph.

"The final running time for the version of Man Of Steel that is making its way into theaters on June 14 is 2 hours and 23 minutes. However, it turns out that the very first assembly cut of Man Of Steel was over 3 hours long. That means over 37 minutes of Man Of Steel footage wound up on the cutting room floor.
Does that mean that fans can expect an extended director’s cut like Zack Snyder did with Watchmen? While it’s not out of question, producer Deborah Snyder seems to be downplaying the possibility. In an interview with Collider, Deborah Snyder said, “We only cut one entire scene, and we trimmed down scenes. So we only lost one scene in its entirety and it wasn’t due to length it was due to that it didn’t feel like it fit in with the rest of what we were doing. It felt a little off.”

This does give me hope though. Source was comic book.com.

DaveH

Where's Tony's angst over killing countless sentient lifeforms? All his PTSD is focused on his own near death rather than the consequences of his actions. I think it's fair to say if the situation is justifiable, individuals tend to suffer less guilt.

"The final running time for the version of Man Of Steel that is making its way into theaters on June 14 is 2 hours and 23 minutes. However, it turns out that the very first assembly cut of Man Of Steel was over 3 hours long. That means over 37 minutes of Man Of Steel footage wound up on the cutting room floor.
Does that mean that fans can expect an extended director’s cut like Zack Snyder did with Watchmen? While it’s not out of question, producer Deborah Snyder seems to be downplaying the possibility. In an interview with Collider, Deborah Snyder said, “We only cut one entire scene, and we trimmed down scenes. So we only lost one scene in its entirety and it wasn’t due to length it was due to that it didn’t feel like it fit in with the rest of what we were doing. It felt a little off.”

There is a 3 hour cut out there.

They "assemble" the shots into the correct sequence. Then they cut out the unnecessary stuff and that is what is referred to as a fine cut.

You probably wouldn't want all the garbage they cut out.

That link basically confirms that there is no directors cut

If the studios wanted to market a DC on blu ray, they could, a cut here and there doesn't add up to 37 min of cut footage.

There has to be some meat there. no? Maybe the editing wouldn't be so jarring too some if shots were left longer.

Dead

well not really...yet
Id guess there is maybe 10 minutes or less of usable stuff in there, shots and extensions that were trimmed to speed up the pacing and to keep the film under a 2h30m length.

Not every movie ends up with hours of entirely unused scenes on the cutting floor

PowderedToast

i think the scene she is talking about is clark as a baby, they take him to the doctors at 6 months and his cry breaks all the windows. it was played for humour and was intended to be after the prologue but they cut it for a more effective transition.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah that scene doesn't sound like it really fit in the flow of the movie at all.

The only parts in the film that I feel would really benefit from extensions are the scenes with Clarke on the boat, working at the bar, etc, before finding the ship, and perhaps if a few of the flashbacks have some relevant stuff that was trimmed

JB1981

i think the scene she is talking about is clark as a baby, they take him to the doctors at 6 months and his cry breaks all the windows. it was played for humour and was intended to be after the prologue but they cut it for a more effective transition.

I'm really surprised there was no scene written of the Kent's finding Kal. Seems to be a pretty important moment in the story

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Aww, that doesn't sound promising at all. 37 minutes is a lot, but since it was an assembly cut it was probably all crap we don't want back in anyway.

Oh well, so much for the Watchmen treatment. :(

Oh, man. I forgot about the Matrix scene with the
newborns
, lol.

Thank taken from the 1986's Man of Steel when the DC universe rebooted after Crisis on Infinite Earths. The difference was
the genetic conditioning of their lives was for the MoS movie. The comics had it to show how sterile of a society the Kryptonians had become, to the point where they didn't even touch one another.

Top Bottom