• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Ahasverus

Man what happened to Pixar :(

It was a bummer for sure, but perhaps I'm getting old for Disney pics, I dunno, but it doesn't have the ageless spirit of your Pixar favorites (Up, Wall E, Toy Story, The Incredibles, Monsters inc 1.. you know which they are)

Alcibiades

Moments like that where humour simply seems to be there in order to meet a quota simply take you out of the film and cheapen it.
"Why are you giggling?"

"He's kinda hot"

EDIT: As bad and ridiculous as the line was, I think early on it wouldn't have been as noticeable. To basically end the film with a line like that though just left a bad taste in one's mouth.

KalBalboa

Banned
I don't think any part of this was emphasized by the movie. Sure, that line was there, but that was more as a response to the line that came before it rather than some significant character moment (which the movie really lacked overall).

As for the job part, he also explained that as a logistics reason rather than some conclusion to an arc (unless you consider the fact that it has to happen in order to be Superman an arc)

I certainly think the emphasized Clark/Kal's hesitance to go public. He's constantly on the run, gets lectured several times to keep his powers/alien origin hidden, and Zod even points out
when addressing the world that it's noteworthy that Kal's kept his identity a secret

When Clark
visits his mother the joy he shows in the wake of finding out where he comes from and who he is shows genuine happiness, but she doesn't look to happy.
There are a bunch of moments like this during the film, and the
nightmare scene exchange of "I can't be a part of this!" "Then what can you be a part of?"
shows the moment where Kal realizes how genuinely awful Kryptonians were capable of being.

The fact he goes from running around with false names from job to job to flat out
surrendering to the US military is another example of him edging closer and closer to trusting humanity, and Lois pretty much seals the deal. I mean, he goes from "They'd reject me" to proudly claiming he's "as American as it gets."

I think it's all there, and I'm glad Goyer didn't beat me over the head with it so much. Basically, he's lost at the beginning, discovers where he came from, find out it's not all it's cracked up to be, and once he begins to do things on his own he suddenly finds the Earth is his real home, etc.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Finally saw this. Man was it pretty terrible. No thanks. That last 30 minutes was just... bad.

Just watched it. Very very disappointed overall. It suffers from amazingly fake Computer Graphic effects and quite possibly the worst editing I have seen in a film in recent years. It's such a shame because the beginning twenty minutes of the film are so amazing in style, scope, and story. However, the second Superman's space-pod touches Earth it's all downhill from there as the story scrambles through quick event to event without ever stopping to remind us what the hell is going on. I really enjoyed Snyder's last two films and am just baffled of how out of control he let this one go. Besides the Krypton's awesome space suits this film has so little soul and even less structure. I do not recommend!

xenist

This is basically the nicest, most coherent and logical script Goyer has ever written. I'm baffled at people having problems with story and characters with this. Also with the levels of destruction. These are technologically super advanced gods fighting in a world made of wet toilet paper. People would get hurt from the mere sound of them slapping each other, much less going all out trying to kill each other.

Toa TAK

Banned
This is basically the nicest, most coherent and logical script Goyer has ever written. I'm baffled at people having problems with story and characters with this. Also with the levels of destruction. These are technologically super advanced gods fighting in a world made of wet toilet paper. People would get hurt from the mere sound of them slapping each other, much less going all out trying to kill each other.

It makes me wonder if people complained about this during The Avenger's final act.

It makes me wonder if people complained about this during The Avenger's final act.

Some people are just trying to find stuff to hate. I see the "World made of cardboard" Justice League clip championed all the time by Superman fans, and he punches Darkseid through several buildings in that clip, yet are all up on this movie.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah, Superman is completely new to fighting in this film. These where the first big scale fights he's ever been in. It's natural that he doesn't have control of his environment when he's fighting like this yet.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Saw this tonight, loved it. This is exactly what I wanted from a Superman movie, fuck that returns shit. Cavil IS Superman.

ReiGun

I think the tone of the Avengers helped alleviate all the destruction and violence going on. It's also worth noting that one member of the team (Cap) did do everything he could to actively rescue people. Hawkeye too, to a lesser extent, with that bus full of people.

I have a feeling this will be the first thing they tackle in the sequel; scenes of Superman rescuing people and trying to make up for the destruction he caused.

Aske

I like comic books and consider myself more than passingly familiar with them but rarely care for comic book movies; this is really the first time a film has sold me on the idea that superhero powers are not only flashy and cool but actually mean something and are not merely divorced from reality in some kind of idealized power fantasy scenario. That's maybe why I appreciated the destruction aspect of the movie: showing us exactly what Kryptonians, as a group, are capable of helps put things in perspective by showing us both what Superman, as an individual, can and, more importantly, can't do. He can't save everyone and everything, or even most of the humans killed in the film, but he does have an awe-inspiring level of power utterly outstripping that of humanity's greatest tool of brute force (the American military, made amusingly ineffective herein but not without moments of extreme bravery from its individual constituents, pretty much like life) that in turn requires a level of responsibility and control which he slowly learns and earns over the course of the life we're shown. The powers are what make him super, but what he does with them is heroic: the story Lois traces of him is of a man who literally can't help but help others, utilizing his power to protect the weak and regularly sacrificing his own chance at a normal life to do so.

Superman has always been my favorite superhero, but for reasons that are rarely tapped for their potential, i.e., he has had his powers since birth - they are inseparable from his self, foisted upon him by parents of another world and fostered by his adoptive parents on Earth, under the influence of the latter never content to live a passively selfish life of his own. It's really rich material if anyone ever mines it - something I feel MoS accomplishes in a way no other cinematic adaptation of this character, or maybe any other in the comic canon, has managed. It's also probably why I didn't really mind the Jesus metaphors at all, since it's essentially a take on the Jesus of JC Superstar, to a logical extreme. lulz.

I'd say Man of Steel is the better movie-movie, here, which is more important: I think it has a much more coherent and interesting through-line for the lead character and the intersection of his developing identity with the plot machinations, the villain's goals, and the themes of the film is better realized here. Batman Begins and Watchmen (substituting 'ensemble' for 'lead' in this equation) are the only two other [super]hero movies that I think really succeed on that level aside from maybe an animated Bats film or two, though I'll note that there are a few mostly-older comic book films that make for terrific adventure-comedies too.

Oh, and you know what? I actually love the casually intensive science fiction of the imaginatively designed Krypton-set opening and the way it feels almost like a grand serial-adventure to set up the very large, mythical backing of Clark Kent's very small, personal story. The whole movie has a brilliant way of feeling like a realistic personal journey grounded within an archetypal mythological tale without sacrificing either tack.
And you know what, punching people through the air is pretty fucking cool too!

I realize this opinion will be in the vast minority here, there, and everywhere, however. Well, that was a rant off my chest!

Perfect. This post mirrors my sentiments exactly. I don't know why so many people are so cynical about MoS, but I couldn't be more glad that I'm not among them.

Here, here!

And as for the collateral damage issues I and others are having:
Yes, there are many instances in the comics and the beloved animated shows that have Supes laying waste to so much real estate and we do not blink an eye. I think the issue I am having with it in Man of Steel is just the realism of it.
In a cartoon and a comic book, there is a slight disconnect from reality because of the medium. You recognize that there is a lot of stuff being destroyed and probably countless people dying because of it. But when shown in a film and with so many shots showing countless civilians running from the destruction, it puts a human face to the destruction and makes me aware and identify more with the people. And it makes me think of just how many lives are being lost while the spectacle is going on. That is probably why the destruction bothers me so much in Man of Steel. It feels real, where in the comics and cartoons it is just cool looking and nice to see our heroes cut loose. But when I see Superman helping to lay waste to so much stuff and not really have any care for the human cost of it, it bothers me.
I know it does not bother others on here, but that is just where we see different things in the film.

if I punched you in the face and you fell on top of your grandmother and she broke her arm, did you break her arm or was I the cause?

Le-mo

I just saw Returns for the first time tonight and thought it was ok. I can never get over the fact that NOBODY managed to figure out that Superman and Clark are the same goddamn person. Haven't seen Man of Steel so I can't wait to see how it compares.

Watched it yesterday.....and I honestly think it's a good movie! Pretty enjoyable plot, cast (Superman's fathers were great IMO, <3 Faora), action scenes, and found no problem with the ending whatsoever.

Sure it's not perfect if anything
I really question the logic behind Superman's dad letting himself die and Superman not saving him
, and I'd rate all of Chistopher Nolan's Batman movies above it...BUT, it's still a good movie and a lot better than a bunch of other superhero movies.

What are the main or popular complaints/criticisms towards the movie? It better not be nitpicky complaints about Superman not following character or the comic book exactly.

Vice

Do you think Man of Steel stands a chance of having a healthy second weekend against Monsters & World War Z?

Right now Man of Steel is sitting at $161 million domestic. Weekend number 2 will be telling for the legs this film has in the US, and competition is stiff. WWZ originally looked like a sure-fire bomb, but it's getting solid reviews.

I'm still betting it clears $300 million domestic, but I don't think it'll pass $350. I'd love to be surprised, though.

I think it will likely hit number 2. Monster University is a Pixar film and there hasn't been a kids movie for about a month. WWZ got shit on in by the media for a long time, so it will probably get the number 3 spot.

I just saw Returns for the first time tonight and thought it was ok. I can never get over the fact that NOBODY managed to figure out that Superman and Clark are the same goddamn person. Haven't seen Man of Steel so I can't wait to see how it compares.

If it annoyed you in SR, it'll drive you nutty in MoS.

ZoddGutts

Good thing they didn't have to fight beings of equivalent power with better battle acumen on their first day on the job.

If only Supes was more considerate in this movie. :p

Funny image that was posted in the other thread:

4Z1vgQC.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

In Avengers it didn't bother me like it did at the end of MoS, but then Avengers had an entirely different feel to the movie. There were serous moments, but there was plenty of humor, lighthearted, human moments too. MoS was sorely missing that for the most part, as it felt cold and joyless by comparison. Was the action fantastic? Yes, but wrapped in this cold smileless movie it just felt less "fun".

And that's really the big difference for me between Avengers and Man of Steel: the first felt very fun to watch, while the second almost bored me at times. It sounds ludicrous to say that what with all the nonstop action that MoS had in it, but yeah I almost felt bored (disconnected?) at times during MoS. The shaky zoom cam didn't help that any either.

Log4Girlz

In Avengers it didn't bother me like it did at the end of MoS, but then Avengers had an entirely different feel to the movie. There were serous moments, but there was plenty of humor, lighthearted, human moments too. MoS was sorely missing that for the most part, as it felt cold and joyless by comparison.

Superman isn't human. So it makes sense to be cold and sterile.

This movie definitely had its problems but outside of some wonky camera work I thought the action was amazing.

I always imagined the ultimate Superman movie would be treated like a DBZ fight scene and Snyder obviously agrees.

Instant Transmission all over the place!

It was a bummer for sure, but perhaps I'm getting old for Disney pics, I dunno, but it doesn't have the ageless spirit of your Pixar favorites (Up, Wall E, Toy Story, The Incredibles, Monsters inc 1.. you know which they are)

I'm old enough that I saw all the pixar films as an adult. It's not you growing up, they aren't as good as they were.

aparisi2274

Saw the movie last night. It was ok, but mostly forgettable.

I wish they would stop with the origin shit... How many times do we have to be told where he came from, what happened to his world, and how he came to be on earth! WE GET IT!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Saw the movie last night. It was ok, but mostly forgettable.

I wish they would stop with the origin shit... How many times do we have to be told where he came from, what happened to his world, and how he came to be on earth! WE GET IT!

This is the first Superman origin story in a movie since 1978. It's hardly overkill. It was also told in a very different way.

.GqueB.

Banned
Finally saw this movie and I thought it was fantastic. Pacing was a little weird sometimes. The final battle felt like it started about 4 times but otherwise it was fine. Action was insane. I did have the same reaction as most did where I felt there needed to be a few scenes showing him at least TRYING to minimize the damage but at the end of the day I didn't care that much. The fight was too exciting.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Pretty weird that some people know his name, like Lois Lane, and in the last scene it looked like the didn't even know it was the same Clark Kent

How is this going to be solved in the next movie ?

Lois clearly knows Clark is Superman in that last scene.

Nokterian

And i just went to the theater here in the netherlands.

HOLY BALLS. This was just a awesome movie and the pacing was great. Zod was badass and Henry as Superman is a perfect fit. I liked the action but also the story and having Russel Crowe as Jor-El was also very good.

To me,this how a proper superman film should be just like with Reeves. And Nolan as producer does help a lot in my opinion. My movie of this year for sure.

Louis

Lois clearly knows Clark is Superman in that last scene.

But there are more people that know it. I thought that the journalist job wasn't going to be in this new series, because the whole movie i got the feeling like everyone knew that Clark Kent = Superman. Only in the ending it became clear that no one knew it.

Sorry for my bad English ;).

Nokterian

And another thing,i do not care about the reviews (did not seen it or read it). To me this is worthy succesor to what Christopher Reeves did in 1978. I hope more Superman films will come in the near future and that Snyder directing it,nolan on the producer side.

Pretty weird that some people know his name, like Lois Lane, and in the last scene it looked like the didn't even know it was the same Clark Kent

How is this going to be solved in the next movie ?

Lois knew who that Clark Kent was "Superman". Pete(I-hop guy) also knew. Be they also knew that Clark saved their lives and all life on the planet, so they'll keep the secret.

This is the first Superman origin story in a movie since 1978. It's hardly overkill. It was also told in a very different way.

It's still the same story, although this time Kal comes along with the Autobot Matrix of Leadership for some fucking reason. The rest of the stuff is just window dressing. "Look, Jor-El rides a giant skeeter now!"

I don't understand the obsession with the origin stories and reboots in Hollywood, I really don't.

Top Bottom