• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

JB1981

The boxoffice on this completely collapsed on Friday. It fell a massive 71% yesterday from last friday. Going to have well over a 60% drop this weekend, the chances of it hitting 300 mil are dead now. Crazy, looks like word of mouth is similar to that of the reviews. Massive fall off.

What's your source

Shaanyboi

Banned
The boxoffice on this completely collapsed on Friday. It fell a massive 71% yesterday from last friday. Going to have well over a 60% drop this weekend, the chances of it hitting 300 mil are dead now. Crazy, looks like word of mouth is similar to that of the reviews. Massive fall off.

$210 million for 11 days and strictly domestic numbers? Yeahh.. it'll be fine.

Yoritomo

Movie was amazing. There wasn't much emotional buy-in by jumping right into the krypton stuff, that and some of the acting seemed wooden (everyone but Russell Crowe)

Had the best action scenes ever in a superhero movie. 2nd favorite superhero movie after Dark Knight. Avengers has more joy but less emotional buy-in from me.

I have no clue what the critics were smoking. Donner nostalgia? Even the controversial actions of superman seemed perfect. But I don't think people are used to identifying with superman but instead identifying with the people he saves.

I can not believe how good this was. I had meh expectations. Not much of a superman fan or anything. Not even a huge Dark Knight series fan...

but damn. That was not only the best movie I have seen all year, but the best super hero movie I have ever seen. Will be going again, didn't know it was in 3D so that will be my next viewing.

Waiting for Man of Steel screening...

988643_539006002813261_1329880799_n.jpg

raiyzo

Neo Member
I thought the director's main goal was to put all aspects of a movie into a coherent whole by collaborating with the crew, managing timetables and meeting deadlines, and executing the vision from the script and storyboards (which he or she may have had a big part on).

I think the 'make $$' goal is probably the executive producer's job.

Anyway, in my opinion, Snyder is a good visual director, but really bad at everything else. It seems like only he can make spectacular and epic scenes seem so lifeless and boring (300 had this problem too).

Some loved 300, some loved wacthmen... Snyder is divisive because he is original. If you watch 300, Watchmen and MOS you can clearly see they are different and divisive. Whether he is a good director or not depends on you cup of tea, i think he's quite good.

As far as what a director's main goal should be, you are naive if you think it's not making $$. Let's say Snyder would've taken a different approach with MOS - more character development, less action, more depth in story but movie wouldn't have made as much as it did. Would you really consider this more of a success? a higher RT score, less $$? don't think so.. The ultimate goal is making $$, period. Many hated Avatar but in the end, James Cameron is a freaking genius

Hiruma

Neo Member
just got back from viewing number 6. My cynical friends actually liked it but hated the dialog (their same sentiments for TDK). Overall still good with all its faults. Crowd was still hyped, even saw some kids running around the theater with capes.

Ixion

I didn't like it.

The story moved too fast and there was hardly any build-up or development, so I didn't care about the characters of anything that happened. Nothing had any impact for me.

JB1981

just got back from viewing number 6. My cynical friends actually liked it but hated the dialog (their same sentiments for TDK). Overall still good with all its faults. Crowd was still hyped, even saw some kids running around the theater with capes.

You've seen it 6 times already? Holy shit

Saw it.

I don't even know what to say... The first hour alone is made of some of the most important moments in Superman's life, and it's just... Pieces jumbled together, that hit flat again and again and again.

The movie only hits notes when it's blowing shit up. How can anybody think this is a good movie?

Zack Snyder once again shows he has no flair at all aside from the action. And I would say this movie should look much better than it does, even if it's partially because the tone of the movie demanded this less than awe inspiring aesthetic.

Such a mess. I almost called it quits when Jor El went like "Oh here, suit and a cape playboy, go do ya thing", and bam that's all she wrote.

Please no more snyder, please no more Goyer because these guys don't know what the fuck they are doing.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Pete Ross...

I mean Superman!

rs_293x473-130618110702-634.cavill.cm.61813_copy.jpg

Need to see this a second time before I put down my thoughts, plus I really have no desire to get into fights with people over this movie. I will say I agree with a few things that some people don't like, but the amount of hate this movie is getting and some of the absurd comments makes me feel like I watched a different movie than some people.

Also anyone who thinks Routh was a better Superman and had more range than Cavill... please don't talk to me. You can like/love Returns better, but just no when it comes to that.

Finally saw it,

I digged it. The anachronistic style worked for me, felt like a patchwork of memories jumping off certain beats in the present. It was interesting, and I wish more comic movies were experimental like that.

Cavill killed it; I was wrong to doubt him, he was very invested in this and there was only certain moments his accent wavered and the Brit shone through.

Farora was a goddess and I want to lie in a bath of warm glue with her.

Shannon was disappointing and I would have been quite content if the movie ended with
Lois and co opening the portal

Overall 19/23

Saw it.

I don't even know what to say... The first hour alone is made of some of the most important moments in Superman's life, and it's just... Pieces jumbled together, that hit flat again and again and again.

The movie only hits notes when it's blowing shit up. How can anybody think this is a good movie?

Zack Snyder once again shows he has no flair at all aside from the action. And I would say this movie should look much better than it does, even if it's partially because the tone of the movie demanded this less than awe inspiring aesthetic.

Such a mess. I almost called it quits when Jor El went like "Oh here, suit and a cape playboy, go do ya thing", and bam that's all she wrote.

Please no more snyder, please no more Goyer because these guys don't know what the fuck they are doing.

But yesterday u said it sucked

Cloudy

Banned
Saw it today. I don't get the hate for this movie at all. I hate when these superhero flicks waste time on the same origin story (that we've seen over and over again) so I appreciated the effective use of flashbacks. Too hard for the ADD folks to follow, I suppose.

The biggest flaw was the fact that Superman had no qualms fighting in the city and killing thousands. Why couldn't he drag the bad guys out into the desert or something?

I give it a solid 8/10

Saw it.

why would anyone ever take you seriously after talking shit for two weeks? and only now you saw it? so that means you went in wanting to hate it and ... you know what? forget it.

I must admit, the moment
Superman primes and flys into the terraformer
was one of the most heart-pounding moments i've experienced in the cinema. Perfect symbiosis of visuals, spectacle and audio.

The biggest flaw was the fact that Superman had no qualms fighting in the city and killing thousands. Why couldn't he drag the bad guys out into the desert or something?

I give it a solid 8/10

Just put this scenario in your head;

Faora and Zod knew that Superman wanted to protect mankind first instead of purely focusing on them. They were almost just as strong as him, so dragging them out toward the desert would have never worked and flying away would neither because they could not fly.

What do you think would happen if he flew away? They would immediately go and kill some humans so he comes out of hiding. It is Superman's biggest flaw, putting himself below humans.

Whoa, wait.

You've been talking ALL THIS SHIT for the last couple weeks and you only JUST TODAY actually watched the thing?

...well played, Can Crusher. Well played :)

Hmm

I hadn't made an analysis on the movie before. Clearly the impressions, critics, Half in the bag etc gave me a picture of the problems of the movie.

In life we don't form an impression only on 1st hand experiences, so everybody can get off their high horse because more than many were dead set on forming the opinion that the movie was the shit based on trailers.

Also, I was hyped for the movie before it came out for the same reasons everybody was. Hence why we all had something to say about the movie for the past couple of weeks....

Here's the kicker, I went in with low expectations and the movie still sucked.

why would anyone ever take you seriously after talking shit for two weeks? and only now you saw it? so that means you went in wanting to hate it and ... you know what? forget it.

Absolutely wrong, I just knew I was going to watch a bad movie. Mind you, this isn't a bad thing since knowing you are going to watch a bad movie generally bodes in favor of the experience.

Regarding the whole two weeks whatnot, everybody was doing it playboy. You know people share knowledge and experiences and we form opinions.

But yesterday u said it sucked

It still sucks today, and it will suck tomorrow and for the end of eternity.

I'm glad nobody is actually disputing what I said though, means we are all in the same page. Go gaf!

raiyzo

Neo Member
so MOS made 116mm opening w/e vs 52mm for superman returns but something doesn't make any sense. boxoffice.com is projecting 285mm worldwide for MO yet returns made 391mm.. I must be misinterpreting the numbers cause if MOS blew away returns in opening w/e, surely it will make more than 400mm

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
so MOS made 116mm opening w/e vs 52mm for superman returns but something doesn't make any sense. boxoffice.com is projecting 285mm worldwide for MO yet returns made 391mm.. I must be misinterpreting the numbers cause if MOS blew away returns in opening w/e, surely it will make more than 400mm

I think the 285 million figure is for world, not counting domestic? So add the 285 mill + the domestic.

Hmm

I hadn't made an analysis on the movie before. Clearly the impressions, critics, Half in the bag etc gave me a picture of the problems of the movie.

In life we don't form an impression only on 1st hand experiences, so everybody can get off their high horse because more than many were dead set on forming the opinion that the movie was the shit based on trailers.

Also, I was hyped for the movie before it came out for the same reasons everybody was. Hence why we all had something to say about the movie for the past couple of weeks....

Here's the kicker, I went in with low expectations and the movie still sucked.

You ain't gotta justify shit to me, man, I already saw what you did. I was on that bus.

I mean, it aint like the 3 different contradictions and 1 bad excuse aren't gonna be apparent to anyone reading or anything, anyway :)

Like I said, sir: well played. That was pretty good.

It's alright Bobby, you can still like the movie and look forward to the sequel. You don't have to turn away the attention unto me, and why my opinion would be valid or not due to me knowing the movie was bad beforehand.

No its projecting 285 domestic and 400 international

It's alright Bobby, you can still like the movie and look forward to the sequel. You don't have to turn away the attention unto me, and why my opinion would be valid or not due to me knowing the movie was bad beforehand.

So not par expectations
Not low expectations but negative expectations. Thats predisposed bias no?

My appreciation for your shenaniganery has nothing to do w/ my opinion of the film, dude. Give yourself some credit.

also, I hope that "unto" you dropped wasn't a typo. I like the idea of you referring to yourself in that way.

RENDER UNTO THE CAN CRUSHER THAT WHICH THE CAN CRUSHER DESIRES.

Top Bottom