• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

It means the world to me.

have more sex. ;)

I was an active member on the BlueTights forum in 2005-2007. I don't recall people there being anywhere near as hostile towards Returns than Superman fans here on GAF. In fact, I think Man of Steel if anything has been more divisive.

I think people wanted to love Returns because it was the first Superman movie in 19 years....

Justin is on Facebook. When I asked him this question, first thing he said in response to me was that the site was actually too time consuming on his part. But he did confirm that Returns did have a lot of hate on the forums too, even more so than MoS is currently getting.

Based on whose estimations? Fans? Wasn't Warner Bros President Jeff Robinov reported to have predicted MoS to do over a billion? If so, hasn't MoS failed to live up to their hopes?

a Billion worldwide? that could happen still... it's doing quite well in the US as well, last count had it at 250 million or so, so it's done very well financially.

Just saw it. Maybe it's because I had really low expectations, but I loved it. Great music, great action, and I loved the designs of everything Kryptonian. The armor the bad guys wore looked awesome.

I definitely consider Man of Steel to be in the top tier of superhero movies.

Considering MoS story is quite a letdown and feeling disjointed at parts does anyone expect to see an extended/director's cut hit BluRay? Snyder's Watchmen as well as Suckerpunch did receive such treatments.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
DerZuhälter;67807171 said:
Considering MoS story is quite a letdown and feeling disjointed at parts does anyone expect to see an extended/director's cut hit BluRay? Snyder's Watchmen as well as Suckerpunch did receive such treatments.

I really hope so, that would be awesome. Time will tell.

I'm not a film buff by any measure. I've never commented on the editing of films before I saw Man of Steel. If I had to ask Synder one question face-to-face, I would ask him wtf happened in the editing room. There are some really peculiar scene jumps, or extensions, in this film and I find it hard to believe that large chunks of this were not cut away. I will be astounded if we were not offered a Director's Cut showcasing the full vision.

JB1981

There was an interview done with Debra Snyder, the producer, and she said they cut very little and basically the film in theaters is the DC

She said there was one scene that was cut and it was a scene where Jon and Martha take baby Kal to the Dr. for a hearing exam and the tests cause his ears to blow out the windows. It was going to come right after the ship crash lands but they felt that the shift in tone didnt work coming right after the prologue on Krypton. They went with the cut to the fishing boat instead

MYE

I hope the "Director's" Cut will extend the human interaction scenes, cut 1/3 of the DBZ crap, add some fucking color to the movie and digitally remove the shaky-cam, sudden zooms nonsense.
There is a good movie buried deep in Snyder's million-dollar clusterfuck. I know it.

edit:

There was an interview done with Debra Snyder, the producer, and she said they cut very little and basically the film in theaters is the DC

oh...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
There is a good movie buried deep in Snyder's million-dollar clusterfuck. I know it.

Where is the good movie buried deep in Singers million-dollar cluserfuck? I'd like to know where I can find that too if we're searching for one in MOS.

She said there was one scene that was cut and it was a scene where Jon and Martha take baby Kal to the Dr. for a hearing exam and the tests cause his ears to blow out the windows. It was going to come right after the ship crash lands but they felt that the shift in tone didnt work coming right after the prologue on Krypton. They went with the cut to the fishing boat instead

I don't believe her.

JB1981

Maybe they being coy about a DC while the movie is in theaters. You never know! I'd love to see a different cut personally

MYE

Where is the good movie buried deep in Singers million-dollar cluserfuck? I'd like to know where I can find that too if we're searching for one in MOS.

Returns is flawed, but doesnt fail film-making 101.

People like or deslike Returns over the story, or how Singer chose to tell it. Most issues with MoS come from shit editing, awful cinematography and completely wasted potential all around.
They had the right actors, right story and a strong, appealing new idea on making it more of a sci-fi flick than a superhero worship one.
All wasted on a terrible director and everyone else who didnt slap some sense into Snyder when he was cranking out scenes so fast you feel like you're watching an MTV clip. Or a fan-edit without all the "boring character development" or any quiet, slow scenes because look at that!!! KAPOW!!!...and BOOM goes a row of buildings buildings!!!

People say Returns superman is a emo, creepy, stalker dude obsessed over a women that moved on. Well, it takes at least a bit of character development to have a strong opinion over a movie role. Good OR bad.

Now describe me MoS's Supes... :/

Are you volunteering?

start making that hole you piece of wood!

Considering MoS story is quite a letdown to me and feeling disjointed at parts does anyone expect to see an extended/director's cut hit BluRay? Snyder's Watchmen as well as Suckerpunch did receive such treatments.

to you, it was a letdown to you. please learn to make that distinction.

I hope the "Director's" Cut will extend the human interaction scenes, cut 1/3 of the DBZ crap, add some fucking color to the movie and digitally remove the shaky-cam, sudden zooms nonsense.

edit:

oh...

just go watch another movie then.

I am saying this as a man with taste above and beyond normal movie tastes.

The way this move was shot will be taught in film schools for years to come. There has never been another movie that has been shot the way this one was.

It was the most unique visual experience of the year.

I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Shaanyboi

Banned
David Brenner

This is his previous work.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0107463/

Well, that explains a whole lot.

So MoS is the 4th Origin Superhero story of all time in the US already, will most definitely end up being third behind Spiderman and Ironman.

http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=superheroorigin.htm

It will probably finish as 3rd most successful origin story worldwide too, only behind Spiderman and ASM, maybe 2nd if it continues doing beastly in the rest of the world.
Why are Batman (89) and X-Men not on there?

Blader

That's because Watchmen was a 3 hour, R-rated movie. That shit was not getting to theaters like that.

Toa TAK

Banned
Batman Begins actually created a quite rich main character.
I wish this one was as focused on Clark's journey and inner-demons as BB was on Bruce Waynes.
Me, too. I loved the movie, but I was hoping it would go in that direction a little more. Of course, it's Snyder, and I really shouldn't have expected as such now that I think about it.

Batman Begins actually created a quite rich main character.
I wish this one was as focused on Clark's journey and inner-demons as BB was on Bruce Waynes.

uh, okay?

you're overblowing every problem such a level that you're basically describing a different movie. so..... watch another movie then?

The way this move was shot will be taught in film schools for years to come. There has never been another movie that has been shot the way this one was.

iOuzBRHoH3DDG.gif

Goyer says he doesn't know yet how he'll tackle the Clark Kent reporter/Superman dynamic yet. But as Lois knows the truth, I doubt we'll see the mild-mannered approach as that was largely aimed at fooling Lois

you're overblowing every problem such a level that you're basically describing a different movie. so..... watch another movie then?

You make a lot of passive aggressive comments, solrac. I get that you may find some of the criticism annoying but it saves the thread from becoming an echo chamber of only those who loved the film.

MYE

I think the only reason it seems that I'm overblowing it is because you liked it and I'm being somewhat vocal about my issues with the movie.
Keep in mind that if I'm wasting time arguing against it, its because I believe the idea deserved to be much better executed. Conceptually they had it right dammit, it pains me to see they stumbled on some pretty basic stuff like structure and the handling of characters.

http://screencrush.com/man-of-steel...tm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_70136

Look! Up on the screen! It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s…hey, is that Christopher Reeve in ‘Man of Steel’?

Nobody from the ‘Man of Steel‘ creative team is saying anything yet, but alert viewers have pointed out that for a few fleeting frames, it looks like the face of current Superman Henry Cavill morphs into Reeve’s. It’s extremely subtle, and quick enough to be inconclusive, but it’s also easy to see…something there.

Of course, as Uproxx points out, Cavill and Reeve were both cast as Superman partly because they looked the part, so even though they don’t look exactly alike, neither are they totally dissimilar. It could just be a freaky optical illusion.

On the other hand, ‘Man of Steel’ director Zack Snyder is a meticulous visual stylist, and there’s certainly no shortage of CGI in the movie, which owes a heavy narrative debt to the first couple of ‘Superman’ films Reeve worked on in the ’70s; it seems like it would have been a relatively simple — and sweet — thing to do this as a tribute to the actor, who passed away in 2004 after suffering paralysis following a horse-riding accident in 1995.

Tip of the hat or trick of the eye? We’re still not sure. But either way, it serves as a reminder that for a lot of people, Reeve will always be the definitive cinematic Man of Steel.​

kLTGf0B.gif

Holy shit.

jett

D-Member

24102.gif

The Cowboy

Fucking Reeves man

Dude was BORN to play Superman. Just look at him!!!

:(

Not just Superman but also Clark Kent, out of all the super hero movies with secret identity hero's he is by far the best IMO, Reeve as Clark looked completely different to him as Superman (he pulled off the facial expressions to a T to completely change his look).

Top Bottom