• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

The best action scene in the film was when Superman smashed Zod through the power plant chimneys. Not only did it look incredible, but it signalled the first time Clark had actually raised his hand against anyone, and he did it to protect his mother ("you think you can threaten..."). A powerful, emotive scene choreographed to perfection.

The fist fights, for me however, were forgettable. I've seen super heroes punch people into buildings before and I'm not sure that's why people go to see a Superman film anyway.

JB1981

Honestly my favorite fight scenes are with Faora doing that sick teleportation move.

The "you think you can threaten my mother" scene was more funny than anything else

Sulik2

How did a movie with a $250 million budget decide on a costume that looked that bad? Dang I forgot how awful the Returns design was. Amazing how great the MoS costume looked in action in comparison.

How did a movie with a $250 million budget decide on a costume that looked that bad? Dang I forgot how awful the Returns design was. Amazing how great the MoS costume looked in action in comparison.

My guess is that Singer wanted the classic blue and red but didn't think spandex would work in 2006. I agree that very few men have the build to pull a spandex costume off, but Brandon Routh wound up looking like a gimp going to a halloween party with all that leather. I couldn't even tell you what the actual suit is made out of, either. It just looks... bad. Like textured rubber.

It's a shame that Routh got such a crappy script and such a crappy suit. He deserved better than that.

Shaanyboi

Banned
There is one thing I don't quite understand about his identity. Does the military know who he is? I mean, everyone in the world knows that Lois Lane know who he is. So what happens there?

He turned himself in so that she wouldn't have to give them a name. AND he demanded her release.

Goyer hinted that others (like Perry) may come to know Clarks secret in the sequel. How do you guys feel about that?

I feel that he already knows.

I'm fine with it. The secret identity thing only can go so far, especially when you're dealing with a more realistic interpretation of the characters. Him having an inner-circle of people who will keep his secret works for me.

The fist fights, for me however, were forgettable. I've seen super heroes punch people into buildings before and I'm not sure that's why people go to see a Superman film anyway.

They stopped working for me once I realized...yeah, Superman is literally invincible outside of Krypton atmosphere or whatever. Why are they still punching each other?

Mario007

The best action scene in the film was when Superman smashed Zod through the power plant chimneys. Not only did it look incredible, but it signalled the first time Clark had actually raised his hand against anyone, and he did it to protect his mother ("you think you can threaten..."). A powerful, emotive scene choreographed to perfection.

Ya that scene was amazing. I was at the edge of my seat, hoping nothing would happen to Clark's mom and then you just see Superman fucking up Zod the very next second. It was so awesome.

Sulik2

They stopped working for me once I realized...yeah, Superman is literally invincible outside of Krypton atmosphere or whatever. Why are they still punching each other?

I do wish they had gone the New 52 route and made him more vulnerable. Should have been at least a few cuts and bruises fighting Zod. Tie his invulnerability the material his suit is made out of more than anything.

My guess is that Singer wanted the classic blue and red but didn't think spandex would work in 2006. I agree that very few men have the build to pull a spandex costume off, but Brandon Routh wound up looking like a gimp going to a halloween party with all that leather. I couldn't even tell you what the actual suit is made out of, either. It just looks... bad. Like textured rubber.

It's a shame that Routh got such a crappy script and such a crappy suit. He deserved better than that.

I really liked Routh. I thought he did a great job, especially with his Clark. Its a shame we never got to see him in a good Supes movie, but I thought Cavil was pretty fantastic in MoS.

KalBalboa

Banned
superman.jpg

This isn't even the worst shot and it just takes you out of the moment. Looks like something Square would make for a video game.

I6nMyxk.jpg

I love how someone posts the actual final composite here only to have someone unearth a weird photoshop with a poor background/poor level changes in an effort to make the shot look cheap. It's like the old OJ Simpson magazine covers, haha.

D.Lo

Of course MOS has less iffy CG, it was made 7 years later! Returns and MOS were both released a few months ahead of a new Playstation, they're a looooong generation apart in computer power.

Returns was the best looking superhero movie at the time, way better than the Spidermans, and Xmen 3, for example.

mrkgoo

He turned himself in so that she wouldn't have to give them a name. AND he demanded her release.

I feel that he already knows.

I'm fine with it. The secret identity thing only can go so far, especially when you're dealing with a more realistic interpretation of the characters. Him having an inner-circle of people who will keep his secret works for me.

Yeah kinda like batman begins.

It would be interesting if several people knew, but they didn't know each other knew. Could make for some funny moments.

ReiGun

Yeah that didn't make any sense. Even in the comics, Superman gets injuries when fighting someone in his power tier. Cavill did try to stagger a bit and show he was hurt, but not actually seeing Superman bleed or show any actual damage was a poor choice.

if lois lane can find out through interviewing people in smallville why the fuck would the military need spy drones to find out who he is?

if it took lois lane months to find out who superman was, it should take the military like 2 days...and bruce wayne 5 minutes.

george_us

One thing I really liked about the MoS costume was that it was simply the uniforms that Kryptonians wear and not some specially made suit.

Yeah that didn't make any sense. Even in the comics, Superman gets injuries when fighting someone in his power tier. Cavill did try to stagger a bit and show he was hurt, but not actually seeing Superman bleed or show any actual damage was a poor choice.

At least rip his suit a bit.

Toa TAK

Banned
if lois lane can find out through interviewing people in smallville why the fuck would the military need spy drones to find out who he is?

if it took lois lane months to find out who superman was, it should take the military like 2 days...and bruce wayne 5 minutes seconds.

It's Batman, man.

but as you can see at the end
he broke Zod's neck so obviously not truly invulnerable, same thing could have happened to Superman.

just because you aren't bleeding doesn't mean you aren't hurting.

if it took lois lane months to find out who superman was, it should take the military like 2 days...and bruce wayne 5 minutes.

it took her years actually.

kehs

Banned
"You'll never be superman because you have no idea what it means to be Superman. It's not about where you were born or the powers you have or what you wear on your chest. It's about what you do. It's about action"

I wanna hear shit like that in the next film.

You should watch Man of Steel.

Pachinko

Well I ended up watching it this afternoon. It was alright, like a solid example of a 3 star film. There was enough in it I liked to make up for the few odd things I didn't like much. The cast was good, special effects mostly good , story had good and bad but overall it was a nice little origin story. They can now make another one that perhaps actually goes somewhere with the plot because the basics are out of the way, I just worry that anywhere they go in the future will be plagued with the same problems as the old superman movies, none of which I liked. In fact the only 2 superman stories I've ever enjoyed all that much were both episodes of the Justice League cartoon- the one with the justice society where in an alternative reality superman has gone too far and they rule over earth with an iron fist. The other episodes had superman getting sent 5000 years into the future and he has to eke out an existence with the help of a former villain and no superpowers because our sun has gone red.

So , it's not impossible to tell a good story with supes but it's also not easy and hollywood tends to work like electricity and take the path of least resistance.

wildfire

Banned
Got around to watching MoS a second time and it comes across a lot better. Angry Joe was right that it was worth a repeat viewing. Certain things were happening at such a frenetic pace it was harder to figure out what was good and what was bad.

Two things that still ended up looking bad were most of Feara combat one liners. The timing of her evolution remarks was botched by the editor and the delivery was poorly done by the actress. The difference between the way that Captain threw back her words at death back her exemplified the editing and acting problems.

I liked Zod on my first go and now I love the character as much as Jor El. The complaints people had of him being so Shakesperean are accurate about his mannerisms but when you take in all of the Kryptonians his delivery and performance was excellent within the way these aliens express themselves.

The Perry and other reporter scene standing by their coworker trapped in the rubble still comes across poorly. Some people have tried to argue that it's a way of showing how it is supposed to address the theme of Clark/Kal not being capable of being everywhere but he has to learn to rely on them looking out for each other. It's a nice sentiment but the movie lacked internal debates on TV or between characters about what it means to be human in a potentially hostile universe. There was a lot of build up for Clark to mull over these ideas but nothing for the people of Earth.

One scene that stood out a lot better was Clark seeking out advice from the priest. The questions asked and the ambiguity of the lessons he and humanity was working on the fly was neatly handled.

The biggest plot point that was improved upon when watching the second time was why Krypton fell even though they had created colonies, why the El's only saved their son and why Zod had reached certain points of failures.

The Kryptonians for all their advancements trapped themselves into a self-defeating end when they decided to mandate population control with selective brainwashing on their newborns.

They did it because resources to support their population was ever dwindling and it needed to be conserved. When Zod recounted how he traveled to the dead outposts the one we get to see the settlers had died fighting an unknown force. When Clark explored the scout ship everyone died in their sleeping chambers which implies there a huge demands sustaining Kryptonians even when dormant. Expansion was always a risky proposition. So working with the planet they already thrived on wasn't a terrible idea.

But what did them in was the social re-engineering that dictated what roles newborns would take when the elderly passed away. Both Zod, his troops and Lara and Jor were a product of that engineering. Kal's parents knew they were part of a failed experiment and to continue living with their son would put at risk the chance they took to break the mold their people had created for themselves. Zod and soldiers themselves just shows how flawed the social engineering was as they were willing to throw away super powers just so they could relive their former glory.

I agree about the emotional punch of telling Zod to back away from his mother but I disagree about any of the other fist fight scenes aside from that being forgettable.

When Feara and Supes threw down in the Ihop it was a great sequence of attacks. It also stood out because her clumsily delivered one liners about evolution.

Also when Feara went DBZ on the soldiers was in their first encounter was excellent. Aside from those three moments the hand to hand choreography declined from the standards that was set.

Raiden

Banned
How does Superman age anyway? Like a normal human? Does he have a life expetancy of 75 something? Or does he just stop aging when he turns 30 something.

When Feara and Supes threw down in the Ihop it was a great sequence of attacks. It also stood out because her clumsily delivered one liners about evolution.

Turds can only be polished so much:

You have a sense of morality and we do not. And that gives us an evolutionary advantage. And if there's one thing that history teaches us it's that evolution always wins.

...what?

That clip played while I was listening to a podcast yesterday and I remembered how strange that line/delivery was.

Log4Girlz

In the comic, it's 1 million years (as mentioned in the word balloon).

Still wrong, but a lot more understandable.

A million is a thousand thousand. That's not many thousands. And yes, its a comic. Superman is a cartoon character. He has nothing to do with science or science fiction, instead its cartoon science. That's part of the reason its so hard to make a movie about him.

A million is a thousand thousand. That's not many thousands. And yes, its a comic. Superman is a cartoon character. He has nothing to do with science or science fiction, instead its cartoon science. That's part of the reason its so hard to make a movie about him.

1000 is not "a few." Anyway, the comic was written in the early 60s, I don't even know if that was wrong by previaling science of the time. Not that they didn't disregard science most of the time.

And yes, in fact, no superheroes really make the sci-fi cut. The physics alone of how most of them move would kill them.

I have no idea why this means that much to you. Of course the comic is wrong, it's just more understandably wrong. Humans don't tend to distinguish much between million and billion, especially in terms of years. It's beyond natural comprehension.

That just shows how terrible some of the dialogue in this movie is. Faora can't be blamed for that terrible writing.

Log4Girlz

I have no idea why this means that much to you. Of course the comic is wrong, it's just more understandably wrong. Humans don't tend to distinguish much between million and billion, especially in terms of years. It's beyond natural comprehension.

It means the world to me.

MYE

Those trailers are doing their job pretty damn well I give them that. Snyder should pay whoever cut those trailers a shitload of cash.

Do you guys remember reading the alleged script leak last year that described Faora was to be Zod's wife and Jonathan to have died from a shotgun wound? Going into the movie, I was actually expecting something very close to that script, especially after seeing some of the concept art such as this: Superman was meant to have stopped a runaway train.

Goyer did say that the script saw significant changes in hindsight but I'm just wondering whether that leaked one was actually legit at that point.

One of the more interesting elements that I wish they kept, although hinted at in the final movie, was that Zod was close enough to the House of El that he at one point held an infant Kal in his arms as a baby. It would have dramatically enriched the conflict between Zod and Superman in the film.

I was an active member on the BlueTights forum in 2005-2007. I don't recall people there being anywhere near as hostile towards Returns than Superman fans here on GAF. In fact, I think Man of Steel if anything has been more divisive.

KalBalboa

Banned
I was an active member on the BlueTights forum in 2005-2007. I don't recall people there being anywhere near as hostile towards Returns than Superman fans here on GAF. In fact, I think Man of Steel if anything has been more divisive.

Me too, actually.

It definitely seems to be that way across the board. It's a bigger hit, financially, tries to rattle the cages more, and its storytelling merits aren't as finely tuned (leading to mixed reviews), so it's certainly a contentious movie. It also has the entire DC film universe resting on its shoulders, whereas Returns hit a year after Begins and both were solid financial hits and weren't expected to launch a half-dozen other films.

One of the more interesting elements that I wish they kept, although hinted at in the final movie, was that Zod was close enough to the House of El that he at one point held an infant Kal in his arms as a baby. It would have dramatically enriched the conflict between Zod and Superman in the film.

Oh man that sounds so good.

Me too, actually.

It definitely seems to be that way across the board. It's a bigger hit, financially, tries to rattle the cages more, and its storytelling merits aren't as finely tuned (leading to mixed reviews), so it's certainly a contentious movie. It also has the entire DC film universe resting on its shoulders, whereas Returns hit a year after Begins and both were solid financial hits and weren't expected to launch a half-dozen other films.

You know where it wasn't divisive?

The box office. That is all Hollywood cares about.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

BlueTights had connections to Returns and got insider info, posted production stuff and the video blogs. I was a member as well, everyone at the time was caught up in the nostalgia and we hadn't had a Superman film years. If I recall the guy who operated the board Justin started losing traffic to the website and interest once people started hating the movie.

GAF basically hated Returns so there really wasn't anything to be divisive about and GAF in general has never been a big Superman board. Ive been posting on GAF since like 99/2000 and there are just more board members here as well to voice their good and bad opinions compared to the past since this place has grown even more since Returns came out.

BlueTights had connections to Returns and got insider info, posted production stuff and the video blogs. I was a member as well, everyone at the time was caught up in the nostalgia and we hadn't had a Superman film years. If I recall the guy who operated the board Justin started losing traffic to the website and interest once people started hating the movie.

GAF basically hated Returns so there really wasn't anything to be divisive about and GAF in general has never been a big Superman board. Ive been posting on GAF since like 99/2000 and there are just more board members here as well to voice their good and bad opinions compared to the past since this place has grown even more since Returns came out.

Justin is on Facebook. When I asked him this question, first thing he said in response to me was that the site was actually too time consuming on his part. But he did confirm that Returns did have a lot of hate on the forums too, even more so than MoS is currently getting.

You know where it wasn't divisive?

The box office. That is all Hollywood cares about.

Based on whose estimations? Fans? Wasn't Warner Bros President Jeff Robinov reported to have predicted MoS to do over a billion? If so, hasn't MoS failed to live up to their hopes?

Justin is on Facebook. When I asked him this question, first thing he said in response to me was that the site was actually too time consuming on his part. But he did confirm that Returns did have a lot of hate on the forums too, even more so than MoS is currently getting.

Based on whose estimations? Fans? Wasn't Jeff Robinov reported to have predicted MoS to do over a billion?

500 million worldwide is incredible.

500 million worldwide is incredible.

Well, you mentioned it's what Hollywood thinks that is important so lets see what they think

Warner Bros. motion pictures group president Jeff Robinov went so far as to predict it will be the studio’s highest performer ever. That would mean the 3D movie, which cost about $225 million to produce and another $150 million to market and release around the globe, would have to top the $1.3 billion cume for “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2″ and the $1 billion-plus each earned by four other Warner releases, “The Dark Knight,” “The Dark Knight Rises,” “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/w...-priciest-incarnation-of-superman-1200493334/

So MoS is the 4th Origin Superhero story of all time in the US already, will most definitely end up being third behind Spiderman and Ironman.

http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=superheroorigin.htm

It will probably finish as 3rd most successful origin story worldwide too, only behind Spiderman and ASM, maybe 2nd if it continues doing beastly in the rest of the world.

Wow Batman Begins had a terrible opening weekend but a great overall gross.

Word of mouth?

but as you can see at the end
he broke Zod's neck so obviously not truly invulnerable, same thing could have happened to Superman.

just because you aren't bleeding doesn't mean you aren't hurting.

it took her years actually.

Years? Didn't get that impression it took her that long. Saw the movie twice too.

Top Bottom