• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

artist

Banned
woah woah, 3D is awesome at home when you use stereoscopic 3D. both movies and games look fantastic with it. but at the theater it's mostly garbage.
I have a 3D tv at home and still dont like it.

Gaming is a different beast and I havent tried it, so I cant comment on that.

JB1981

Action side, what was better in Man of Steel [than in Returns]? Let's state the categories. Which of the two films come out on top in each area?

• Cinematography
  • Script
  • Characters
  • Score

Man of Steel had a better story to tell but the script is not better. Superman Returns has better cinematography and better crafted action sequences. I liked the characters more in Man of Steel.

Man of Steel has an original score but Ottman's original pieces from Superman Returns are also quite good.

jett

D-Member
Action side, what was better in Man of Steel [than in Returns]? Let's state the categories. Which of the two films come out on top in each area?

• Cinematography
  • Script
  • Characters
  • Score

MoS comes ahead in all categories. Script and characters goes without saying, even with all the problems it has. I prefer Zimmer's score to Ottman's regurgitation of Williams. Singer overuses the shit out of the '78 theme at every possible chance too. Clark Kent takes a dump? *John Williams theme at full blast*

I see nothing pretty about Returns. One of the ugliest color pallets I've had the misfortune of seeing in a movie.

Superman Returns has better cinematography and better crafted action sequences than MoS?

wha. I disagree, heartily, Returns looks kinda ugly to me now, plus it's actions sequences weren't that great, except the plane stuff.

Raiden

Banned
Returns is just about the most dissapointing movie ever made. They just trolled Superman fans with that shit. So after decades you guys finally get a new Superman film with all this new possibilities and technology but lets not have Supes doing anything at all.

He catches that Dailyplanet sign and lifts a continent for 5 minutes. Did he even punch someone?

jett

D-Member
He catches that Dailyplanet sign and lifts a continent for 5 minutes. Did he even punch someone?

He probably donkey punched Lois while he stealth raped her before he left for space. If anything else the movie makes it clear that this Superman is a total fucking weirdo.

dmshaposv

I think the cinematography in returns is better. Singer has restraint and the majestic shots are nice and steady.

MoS has some great shots, but they are ruined by overuse of lens flares and some tacky shaky camera closeups.

In every other category, MoS takes a huge dump on Returns. That movie is a boring P.O.S.

Edit: Music in MoS is not used well, but original score > rehashed score. The OST standalone is good but its not very well use in the movie edit.

• Cinematography
  • Script
  • Characters
  • Score

- Returns, though some scenes that weren't riddled with CG or shaky cam in MoS were kind of pretty.

- MoS, by the thinest of leads. Reading a short treatment for both it would be easily MoS, but MoS fucks up so many things with its characters, their motivation and dialogue... sheesh. It at least delivers in terms of action on screen, even if its overkill. One bores you to death, the other one makes you shake your head in disbelieve close to the end.

- MoS, but again: Just as with the script we are dealing with a SouthPark cripplefight here. What MoS delivers are great actors, but they are hampered by terrible dialogue, inexplicable motivation and bad story. The characters are dull and flat... On the Returns side you have a bunch of unlikeable und untalented actors and Kevin Spacey who plays a great yet really cartoony character.

- Returns even if I only remember nothing but the Williams main theme of it. MoS soundtrack is horrible. Clark's emotional piano theme was way overused the rest was drums drums danger! drums drums. Zimmer phoned that one in, except for the few tracks that were attached to trailers (Trailer 3 and Trailer 5 [Zod Theme?] ).

JCizzle

Returns is just about the most dissapointing movie ever made. They just trolled Superman fans with that shit. So after decades you guys finally get a new Superman film with all this new possibilities and technology but lets not have Supes doing anything at all.

His kid did more than he did in that regard. Puke.

JB1981

MoS comes ahead in all categories. Script and characters goes without saying, even with all the problems it has. I prefer Zimmer's score to Ottman's regurgitation of Williams. Singer overuses the shit out of the '78 theme at every possible chance too. Clark Kent takes a dump? *John Williams theme at full blast*

I see nothing pretty about Returns. One of the ugliest color pallets I've had the misfortune of seeing in a movie.

Hmm... Ok .. I don't have screenshots to support my argument (wish I did) but there are definitely some wonderful shots in Superman Returns. A few shots that immediately come to mind:

1. When Supes makes his descent down to the Fortress of Solitude. He is sillhouted against the lightshafts. The camera is pulled back quite far and there is a wonderful sense of depth in the shot. Very moody and ominous shot.
2. The flashback to his child running thru the cornfields was also bright and colorful. Loved the rich blue skies.
3. There is a shot at dusk of Superman flying past the Daily Planet globe. The shot is held nicely and you are given a great view of the skyline. The music has this melancholy feel. Love that shot.
4. Loved the scene of him rising up to the sun and getting recharged.
5. Loved the shot of him with New Krypton on his back rising up thru Earth's atmosphere and into the Heavens.
6. Love the plane sequence.

I actually think Superman Returns may have had more convincing CG FX lol

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

No way. The cgi on Routh's face alone was so fake looking it took you out of moments. Some of the shots didn't even need it.

ughhhh

ci6OCWT.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
This isn't even the worst shot and it just takes you out of the moment. Looks like something Square would make for a video game.

I6nMyxk.jpg

• Cinematography - Returns
  • Script - Man of Steel
  • Characters - Man of Steel
  • Score - Returns

The script and characters in MoS were still pretty bad at times. Jor El alone wins it over Returns though. MoS is easily a better movie than Returns but that isn't saying much.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior

• Cinematography MOS
  • Script: MOS (although its not really that good, its just more acceptable than Return's script).
  • Characters: MOS
  • Score: Returns
I'll give you score. The Returns score was really great.

dued i've seen this stuff before. so you're the one... you do all this on a wacom tablet?

Yeah I do :) a Wacom Bamboo to be exact. It was awesome until it started acting all strange. Saving up for a 13HD now.

The worse thing about Returns is the lack of arcs. Superman returns home after fucking off and not telling anyone and acts all angsty that Lois moved on, then I guess he just accepts that fact and takes his new role as creep-o stalkerman by spying on his kid. Not really an arc, more a downward slope towards perilous mediocrity. Lex is no better, which is shocking considering the recycled the villain and did nothing experimental with him.

Matrix

There is plenty of plasticy looking CG in Man of Steel as well.

I can't recall close up shots of Cavill's face that look that bad in MOS. I'm also talking about using cgi for scenes that don't even need it.

They captured him flying with Lois in Returns using Routh's own face without a problem and then at the end they go full blown fake looking cgi. Bringing the camera in closer didn't help. Then cut to space and it's back to Routh's real face like Reeve as he smiles at the camera at the end.

Both movies have odd cgi issues, but the face shit is what takes me out of the moment completely.

edit- of course Returns defenders will say it doesn't look that bad on blu ray or some shit and it does. It looks just as crappy to my eyes on my tv as it does in screen grabs.

Goyer hinted that others (like Perry) may come to know Clarks secret in the sequel. How do you guys feel about that?

I am OK with it. As fun as the Secret ID thing is in comics, it's pretty hard to imagine it working in the modern world. Most people would not even assume he has an everyday identity, and other people in the know can be expected to keep the secret.

Matrix

Goyer hinted that others (like Perry) may come to know Clarks secret in the sequel. How do you guys feel about that?

Feels like Smallville the tv show. A long time ago I would have said it would have bothered me a great deal, but Lex finding out on Smallville, Lois, Chloe, etc I don't care anymore.

Matrix

There is one thing I don't quite understand about his identity. Does the military know who he is? I mean, everyone in the world knows that Lois Lane know who he is. So what happens there?

No, she never gave his identity up. They were even trying to find out where he "hangs his cape" at the end.

jett

D-Member
Hmm... Ok .. I don't have screenshots to support my argument (wish I did) but there are definitely some wonderful shots in Superman Returns. A few shots that immediately come to mind:

1. When Supes makes his descent down to the Fortress of Solitude. He is sillhouted against the lightshafts. The camera is pulled back quite far and there is a wonderful sense of depth in the shot. Very moody and ominous shot.
2. The flashback to his child running thru the cornfields was also bright and colorful. Loved the rich blue skies.
3. There is a shot at dusk of Superman flying past the Daily Planet globe. The shot is held nicely and you are given a great view of the skyline. The music has this melancholy feel. Love that shot.
4. Loved the scene of him rising up to the sun and getting recharged.
5. Loved the shot of him with New Krypton on his back rising up thru Earth's atmosphere and into the Heavens.
6. Love the plane sequence.

lolololol

Matrix

lolololol

lol thank you, I was searching for high quality images of those and couldn't find any. Movie also has some others that are just as bad.

Cavill never looked that bad.

JB1981

There is a ton of bad CG in MoS you just can't see it because the camera is always zooming and shaking with a grit filter all over :p

Matrix

There is a ton of bad CG in MoS you just can't see it because the camera is always zooming and shaking with a grit filter all over :p

Like I said there is bad cgi in both films, problem is Singer chose to zoom in on cgi face unlike Snyder who was at least smart enough to let Cavill and his real face/emotions do the work when flying close.

Raptor, it's looked like shit since day 1.

a few people might find out but they won't tell of course. i'm fine with it.

There is one thing I don't quite understand about his identity. Does the military know who he is? I mean, everyone in the world knows that Lois Lane know who he is. So what happens there?

I don't believe Lois gave up a name.

"You'll never be superman because you have no idea what it means to be Superman. It's not about where you were born or the powers you have or what you wear on your chest. It's about what you do. It's about action"

I wanna hear shit like that in the next film.

jett

D-Member
The only distracting CGI in MoS is at the end when Zod and Supes are fighting in the air. I'm not sure if Hollywood is ever going to get this right, there's always a problem with the animation.They're gonna have to develop special CG tech for people fighting in the air. :p

Toa TAK

Banned
The only distracting CGI in MoS is at the end when Zod and Supes are fighting in the air. I'm not sure if Hollywood is ever going to get this right, there's always a problem with the animation.They're gonna have to develop special CG tech for people fighting in the air. :p

I agree with this. This was the one part of the film (for me) where the CGI became really obvious, like there was an outline and it looked too smooth.

Just realized, after watching this movie for the 3rd time already, that every time Zod is hitting Superman he's trying to create collateral damage, but when Superman hits Zod the hits send Zod flying through the air.

Raptor

Was Neo-Smith scene at end of Revolutions better than Zod-Supes? I'm gonna have to say yea

I have to say no, MoS did what Revolutions should have done, Revolutions only gave us a taste of that kind of fight while MoS gave us the whole deal.

cdkee

Banned
Just realized, after watching this movie for the 3rd time already, that every time Zod is hitting Superman he's trying to create collateral damage, but when Superman hits Zod the hits send Zod flying through the air.

YEAH BUT SUPERMAN IS CAUSING THE DAMAGE MAN.

I mean, I don't know if these guys were watching the same movie, but in that fight Zod throws Superman through buildings once. All the other damage is caused by Zod or Superman is desolate areas (in the Metropolis fight)

Top Bottom