• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Before someone posts the Grant Morrison pic i'd just say they pretty well established that a fair populous of Gotham was bent as hell and were able to sneak shit into weird places.

I didn't think I was going to love this but fuck man... Movie does everything it was supposed to do establishing a young and raw Superman. The first time he flies made me smile like no other Superhero film. The action is god damn intense too. I have no problems with the changes because the character's heart is still there but with a more real world sense to him.

OH AND THE SCORE HOLY SHIT!

BB is still the king tho.

Rokam

God damn I enjoyed this, as did most of the people in the theater, there was applause after (really odd for a non midnight showing). I liked it a lot more than Iron Man 3, but not going to rank it against other films till I see it again, Thor burned me... remember being entertained at the time but can't stand to watch it again.

Main complaint was it was too long, probably could have shaved 15 or so minutes off.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I didn't think I was going to love this but fuck man... Movie does everything it was supposed to do establishing a young and raw Superman. The first time he flies made me smile like no other Superhero film. The action is god damn intense too. I have no problems with the changes because the character's heart is still there but with a more real world sense to him.

FAORA.

AkuMifune

Banned

The hype/downers in this thread playing tug of war with my heart.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's so crazy how the first thing that popped into my head, when I saw her, was "damn she's gorgeous."

My weakness is women with short hair. I don't know why ;_; <--- Tears of joy

Join me in the sun man.

Those were my exact thoughts. Women with short hair is my own Kryptonite.

Raptor

There is a few cases in this movie that really slap me with how horrid the dialogue is and it's really something I didn't have an issue with in Avengers. I will admit that the two films are almost in different genres but some of the stuff in MoS is bad for the tone the movie attempts at.

Because Avengers only tries for you to laugh thats it, there is no sadness, no feels at all.

First freaking scene in MoS already made me feel a lot more than the entire Avengers movie.

What MoS tries to do achieves it greatly in the performaces by pretty much all the actors.

If this movie would had a tighter editing and pacing would have been a freaking masterpiece!

Veidt

The hype/downers in this thread playing tug of war with my heart.

If you want a Superman film that shows you why Superman is the greatest Superhero of them all, if you want a superman film grounded in reality as much as conceivably possible, and one where you get to learn about a Superman that is human, then this is for you. And if you want a film where Kryptonians WRECK shit. Then you'll love every single minute of this.

He was able to summarize BB in one sentence. That is impossible for the insanity in TDK. My best take is:

The joker plans to plunge gotham into chaos by turning Batman and Harvey Dent into villains by making Batman choose who to kill by tricking him with false information so he thinks he's choosing his girlfriend, but he's really choosing dent after he is intentionally captured in a scene where he almost was not captured but its ok because one of his henchmen has a cellphone with a bomb surgically implanted inside him and he gets to make one phone call and then he's going to let one ferry of people get blown up by another ferry of criminals or the ferry of criminals get blown up by the ferry of civilians because that will make people lose hope? And the mafia he was bringing down because I don't know and he was burning money just to watch the world burn and my mind is full of fuck?

Still, less of a mess than TDKR. The loopholes in that are crazy.

Impressive

Tenck

Join me in the sun man.

Those were my exact thoughts. Women with short hair is my own Kryptonite.

*High five*

As for thoughts on the movie, I'd like to point out that the beginning seems a little rushed. Everything happens so fast, and nothings builds up to most of the stuff that happens. It just does.

The second half though *_*
Those fighting scenes are out of this world. Nothing can compare to it (from what I've seen). My sister and I went pretty early to watch it, and one of our friends wants to watch it too. Think I might tag along for another viewing :d

Ahasverus

I just saw the movie.

TO all critics I have a polite suggestion..... GO FUCK YOURSELVES WITH A STICK

This movie is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME !! The action the photography the acting even the story was good, yeah not Dark Knight but WHATEVER this is THE BEST Superman movie EVER and one of the FINEST Super hero movies, probably in the top 5, holy crap I had such low expectations I was BLOWN WAY, FUck everyone hwho wanted another Iron man or anyone who wanted Donner 3.0 THIS IS IT our superman told in great fashion, a hero worth admiring, it's fr far far ore human now and yeah Cavill is PERFECT I have no words really this is a new high for the genre THANK YOU BASED WB

If you want a Superman film that shows you why Superman is the greatest Superhero of them all, if you want a superman film grounded in reality as much as conceivably possible, and one where you get to learn about a Superman that is human, then this is for you. And if you want a film where Kryptonians WRECK shit. Then you'll love every single minute of this.

This. My son is going with his mom tonight so I am going to go see it with the homies tonight.

Toa TAK

Banned
She was fucking awesome. Holy shit man. Everyone was pumped after the movie. My son asked me to go buy him a new Superman cape.

Do it.

Yo, we need to go back to something we can all agree on:

2011-01-19_Antje_Traue.jpg

Verendus

Banned
People were getting worried over the RT score for nothing. I'm still confident that the average person is going to enjoy this movie. This is basically Dragon Ball Z. That's what it is. The Saiyan Saga part of it.

Faora can be Nappa. She fits the role perfectly, aside from the whole having hair part.

I'd love to see a fan edited DBZ dubbed Man of Steel once the movie is out on home video.

Man of Steel OT: MoS vs Avengers vs Batman: FIGHT!!
Batman won via FATALITY!!

Veidt

She was fucking awesome. Holy shit man. Everyone was pumped after the movie. My son asked me to go buy him a new Superman cape.

The Faora fight had me fixated. I just couldn't believe someone had actually made this. Like it shouldn't be happening. Superhero fights are supposed to be boring. But not only was this great, this is a Superman film, and was fucking awesome. Holy fuck. I just sat there trying to absorb it all in, because goddam THAT's how you make a Superman fight.

Raptor

I just saw the movie.

This movie is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME !! The action the photography the acting even the story was good, yeah not Dark Knight but WHATEVER this is THE BEST Superman movie EVER and one of the FINEST Super hero movies, probably in the top 5, holy crap I had such low expectations I was BLOWN WAY, FUck everyone hwho wanted another Iron man or anyone who wanted Donner 3.0 THIS IS IT our superman told in great fashion, a hero worth admiring, it's fr far far ore human now and yeah Cavill is PERFECT I have no words really this is a new high for the genre THANK YOU BASED WB

Fucking amazing man!!

:D

I liked the mother/father relationships and in hindsight I wish they had played on the parallels between the two sets of parents on Krypton and Earth.

The one scene that really got me was
Jonathan Kent telling Clark not to save him

Ahasverus

My bf who hates every super hero movie (he doesn't like even the nolan films or ANYTHING) loved the film and is now obsessed with superman, he's driving me nuts but it's ok, he joined me in the sun.

The Faora fight had me fixated. I just couldn't believe someone had actually made this. Like it shouldn't be happening. Superhero fights are supposed to be boring. But not only was this great, this is a Superman film, and was fucking awesome. Holy fuck. I just sat there trying to absorb it all in, because goddam THAT's how you make a Superman fight.

Zero complaints about Faora, she was awesome.

What's up with Non. Did they waste the Cgi budget on the buildings falling. He looked terrible.

bigkrev

Just got back. I thought the early flashbacks to Clarke growing up were great, but for the most part hated the movie. The pacing was poor, I couldn't imagine a human being saying 90% of the dialog in the film, and the action was CG heavy with almost no impact. It wasn't Transformers level bad where it just got boring, but I was constantly checking the time, wondering when it was going to end.

The upside was everything involving family was great (too bad a sequel probably can't focus on any of it), and the changes in mythos mostly work.

Veidt

Oh yeah, here is one thing that was never explained:
Why was their codex (or whatever it was called) a weird looking half-skull?

Seems to me like it was primordial skull. They probably did something to it to extract a base for genetic assembly.

Ahasverus

The kryptonian attack was so great
Oh yeah, here is one thing that was never explained:
Why was their codex (or whatever it was called) a weird looking half-skull?

Not everything needs an explanation I think without over anaylzing the world built is very consistent. If Kal El doesn't know it we don't have to either, it's his journey. And what is the deal about Supes being "a listener"? he was great and charismatic didn't get that impression at all.
I can see why it dissonates with people previous concept of Superman but reinventions don't get much better than this.

Raptor

Loving all the love for Faora here. She was my favorite character in Superman II. Hardcore woman.

She will probably have a cult following from here on, she is just incredible.

Everything she does, every single scene she was on it was amazing.

One of the best things of the movie for me.

Not to mention she looks incredibly beautiful man Jeez...

Veidt

Faora needs her own spin off.
I would watch that, over and over again.

Toa TAK

Banned
She will probably have a cult following from here on, she is just incredible.

Everything she does, every single scene she was on it was amazing.

One of the best things of the movie for me.

Not to mention she looks incredibly beautiful man Jeez...

All of this sounds right up my alley and exactly what I was hoping for.

acrid

Banned
I just saw the movie.

I concur.

Top Bottom