• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Did you have trouble reading my post? I stated I was going to see the movie, later today even. I'm fascinated by the completely polarizing critical reaction to it by writers I enjoy reading.

because I don't think anyone or anything should "temper" your expectations, if you are truly excited, let yourself get excited. you don't want to go to the theater and not have a good time right?

SimleuqiR

Good read:

Superman Isn't What He Used To Be

Oddly, when Superman was introduced, he was more of a grim, avenging figure, not so quick to smile, and the mad scientists of the day that would threaten Superman and/or Metropolis were as likely to end up dead in an explosion of the secret death ray lab ("AAAIIIEEEEE!") than behind bars.

But that quickly changed, and the Superman that persisted into the 70s was the guy posing in front of the American flag with an eagle on his arm, the Big Blue Boy Scout. And when I say blue, I mean blue—check out this DC Comics coloring guide from the 1980s. He was very much a primary colors character. He saved the world. He had a best pal, Jimmy Olsen. He had a secret identity, a nebbish reporter. He had girls go crazy for him, and he declined to get involved. He was a ten year-old’s idea of heroism: selfless, generous, uninterested in profit.

because I don't think anyone or anything should "temper" your expectations, if you are truly excited, let yourself get excited. you don't want to go to the theater and not have a good time right?

You don't want to go to the theater expecting something amazing and not getting it either. Going it with neutral expectations will probably leave me more impressed by what the film achieves, and more openly accepting to what it fails to do.

AkuMifune

Banned
Another vote for Begins. Much more sound overall. TDK drifts into some seriously dumb territory at points, though it's still amazing.

If Heath hadn't died it wouldn't be so iconic.

Verendus

Banned
Guys, it's okay. It's a matter of preference when it comes to the Nolan Batman movies. They're the best for a reason. You can't go wrong with any of them.

We should just be grateful that Man of Steel isn't as bad as stuff like Captain America etc. It's a good start to what should hopefully be a better sequel.

AkuMifune

Banned
All of the jokers everything. His "plan" is so convoluted it made Ra's seem like a standard robbery. This is way OT though.

Can we discuss why The Avengers is crap instead?

Dahbomb

Wait wat?! Like what?
Like the bullet reconstruction scene and the super sonar device. Really felt out of place in an otherwise intense crime thriller movie. And of course the whole Joker sneaking a giant payload of explosives in ships, hospitals and other well guarded areas.

RPGCrazied

Saw it today. I thought it was pretty good. What was the girls name with General Zod? Seems like she kicked more ass then he did.

I'm heart broken by what I saw :(

I ignored the reviews and the negativity -- I dismissed them and went determined to love this movie. But I have been left dismayed, angry and saddened.

They eviscetated my childhood

Toa TAK

Banned
All of the jokers everything. His "plan" is so convoluted it made Ra's seem like a standard robbery. This is way OT though.

Can we discuss why The Avengers is crap instead?

Like the bullet reconstruction scene and the super sonar device. Really felt out of place in an otherwise intense crime thriller movie. And of course the whole Joker sneaking a giant payload of explosives in ships, hospitals and other well guarded areas.

What? No one complained about the reverse microwave bull that was going on in BB? Or The League of Shadows plan in general?

Come on people.

Guys, it's okay. It's a matter of preference when it comes to the Nolan Batman movies. They're the best for a reason. You can't go wrong with any of them.

We should just be grateful that Man of Steel isn't as bad as stuff like Captain America etc. It's a good start to what should hopefully be a better sequel.

Captain America.. bleh.

I really enjoyed Man of Steel, more so than any of the Nolan Batman movies. I felt like I was watching a live-action episode the Justice League cartoon! There was a ton of action, but there several of the characters had a strong arc.

I'm heart broken by what I saw :(

I ignored the reviews and the negativity -- I dismissed them and went determined to love this movie. But I have been left dismayed, angry and saddened.

They eviscetated my childhood

your childhood sucked ;) and you don't know the character as well as you think you do. you just love some impossibly high ideal that isn't around anymore. sorry you felt like that though....

dmshaposv

edit: Man of Steel is better than Avengers

I disagree.

Avengers is a much better movie in that the story is more focused, it has far more enjoyable dialogue and camaraderie between the characters and in general you root more for everyone partaking in the action.

Lol my theater be trollin

B6s1TNJ.jpg

In case it's too blurry, it says "beat the level onr of Superman 64, win a $20 gift certificate"

Fine print says "one try per player, no restarting! Be honest!"

your childhood sucked ;) and you don't know the character as well as you think you do. you just love some impossibly high ideal that isn't around anymore. sorry you felt like that though....

Oh, that's right I forgot. My opinion is mute because I haven't read as many comics as you to have a legitimate complaint. Adding a smiley doesn't make your comment any less condescending. Maybe you could wait to read what my complaints are before you judge them

I'm on mobile right now. I'll need a fucking word processor to lay out my thoughts in their entirety

I disagree.

Avengers is a much better movie in that the story is more focused, it has far more enjoyable dialogue and camaraderie between the characters and in general you root more for everyone partaking in the action.

You mean the story that has a meandering first act and an entirely pointless second act?

I didn't root for half the Avengers. They could have killed off everybody but RDJ and Hulk and I wouldn't have blinked.

Man of Steel was better than Avengers.

Man, so many mixed reactions on my twitter feed. Some critics I actually really like talking about this movie botching the character motivations/arcs.

Fuck man, why can't they just do a great cinematic story starring Superman

Gonna see this later today, expectations set at completely neutral.

That's basically what I did last night and ended up enjoying it for the most part.

Oh, that's right I forgot. My opinion is mute because I haven't read as many comics as you to have a legitimate complaint. Adding a smiley doesn't make your comment any less condescending. Maybe you could wait to read what my complaints are before you judge them

I know you. I already know what you're going to complain about and I already know you're off base because the honest thruth is you can't seem to accept that teh character has gone through some changes in teh last 27 years (post Crisis on Infinite earth to be exact) read Birthright and Secret Origin to see where DC took Superman.

Jarmel

Banned
Action in Avengers is worse but dialogue and characters as a whole are on a completely separate level. Dialogue in this film is really bad.

Verendus

Banned
I know you. I already know what you're going to complain about and I already know you're off base because the honest thruth is you can't seem to accept that teh character has gone through some changes in teh last 27 years (post Crisis on Infinite earth to be exact) read Birthright and Secret Origin to see where DC took Superman.
He's still allowed his opinion. At least let him detail what it is before you start the argument.

Dead

well not really...yet
Action in Avengers is worse but dialogue and characters as a whole are on a completely separate level. Dialogue in this film is really bad.
I mean, I don't really feel Avengers has anything other to offer than action. Everything else about is dull + it looks ugly, not to mention most of the major action just feels like a rehashed Transformers 3

Liamario

Banned
Too long. Too many inconsistencies. Some small niggles here and there. There is a jewel hidden away in it, but we won't see it unless there's a sequel.

Top Bottom