• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Jarmel

Banned
I mean, I don't really feel Avengers has anything other to offer than action. Everything else about is dull + it looks ugly, not to mention most of the action just feels like a rehashed Transformers 3

The banter in Avengers is top-notch. That's really where the heart of the film is, mainly due to Whedon.

Raptor

Action in Avengers is worse but dialogue and characters as a whole are on a completely separate level. Dialogue in this film is really bad.

Avengers sialog seems to be written for kids or something, on a second viewing comes more aparent, it clearly shows what t he target audience was, MoS on the contrary is more serious and more on point.

Avengers is fucking boring untill the last 20 minutes.

Jarmel

Banned
Avengers sialog seems to be written for kids or something, on a second viewing comes more aparent, it clearly shows what t he target audience was, MoS on the contrary is more serious and more on point.

Avengers is fucking boring untill the last 20 minutes.

MoS dialogue is cheesy and generic in the worst sense. The characters are having fun in Avengers to a large extent and the dialogue shows it.

He's still allowed his opinion. At least let him detail what it is before you start the argument.

he can do it. I'm not stopping him. but this is what I get back to. this whole "only my interpretation counts and damn anyone else's so tehrefore this piece of art about the character sucks" at least be open to seeing other interpretations.

Raptor

MoS dialogue is cheesy and generic in the worst sense. The characters are having fun in Avengers to a large extent and the dialogue shows it.

Having fun with teh jokes and humour in that script means is better?

I'm not following you here.

Dysun

Movie's tone isn't even similar so I don't see why you should compare dialogue. Especially when one has a team dynamic

Jarmel

Banned
Having fun with teh jokes and humour in that script means is better?

I'm not following you here.

The way the characters play off each other such as a couple of the conversations on the carrier or between Loki and Stark is great. It felt much more natural than anything found in this film.

he can do it. I'm not stopping him. but this is what I get back to. this whole "only my interpretation counts and damn anyone else's so tehrefore this piece of art about the character sucks" at least be open to seeing other interpretations.

What if the movie's interpretation isn't very good

Like, why do you keep casting these wide nets for people whose opinions you don't agree with

Maybe this is just a shitty Superman interpretation. They've been plenty of them before. They're not all made equal. They're not all valid and worthwhile views of the character.

AkuMifune

Banned

When I first started reading different comic book versions of Superman it was hard for me to get over the Donner vision that I had ingrained in my head. I didn't like them, they weren't Superman to me. But as I gave those stories a chance and kind of realized the actual core is a more broad sci-fi 'stranger in a strange land' tale, the character and story meant so much more to me. It's kind of the story of our own souls and how we decide to handle ourselves in society, how we all have to choose to live and be as humans.

But I remember what is was like to first open those comics and go...wtf is this? I kind of assume this is the reaction a lot of people and critics will have. I only hope over time this version gets more credit than it is at the moment.

If someone doesn't want to accept a different interpretation of a character fucking let them. Who gives a shit, we're not talking about human rights here.

Anyway, in my seat. See you in three hours!

ElFly

Like the bullet reconstruction scene and the super sonar device. Really felt out of place in an otherwise intense crime thriller movie. And of course the whole Joker sneaking a giant payload of explosives in ships, hospitals and other well guarded areas.

I don't know if you've noticed but the plan in Begins is to use a microwave emitter to vaporize all the water in town and put all the toxins in the air instead of the water.

TDK is realistic compared to it.

I don't know if you've noticed but the plan in Begins is to use a microwave emitter to vaporize all the water in town and put all the toxins in the air instead of the water.

The Dark Knight also tries to be a much more realistic movie, so every time the screenwriters jump over a pithole to advance the plot, it's that much more jolting. In Begins, that sort of sci-fi weirdness is the plot, not some excuse to get Bruce to the next scene.

What if the movie's interpretation isn't very good
Like, why do you keep casting these wide nets for people whose opinions you don't agree with
Maybe this is just a shitty Superman interpretation. They've been plenty of them before. They're not all made equal. They're not all valid and worthwhile views of the character.

all the things you expect from the origin are there, nothing has changed. tweaks here and there do not rape anyone's childhood.

If someone doesn't want to accept a different interpretation of a character fucking let them. Who gives a shit, we're not talking about human rights here.

Anyway, in my seat. See you in three hours!

it's essentially the same character, nothing has changed. the tone is different but the spirit is the same.

Dahbomb

I know all about that and that's why whenever there's a big circle jerk of BB I point out that only the first half is godlike, second half veers into middling super hero blockbuster action territory.

The big difference here is that Ra's isn't claiming "he is a man without a plan"... he has an elaborate plan that he had been working on for years to infiltrate Gothan. Joker up and comes up with an extremely elaborate plan spanning multiple locations and important figures in Gotham all while claiming "I don't have a plan, I am just a dog chasing cars". Yea OK buddy...

TDK was directed with a more "realistic" approach in mind but in the end its neither more realistic nor more sci-fi/fantasy than BB. There's a clear dissonance there.

effzee

The Avengers was a great movie guys. Dialogue between the characters was one of its strong points.

Avengers was good for the goal they set out. It also fit the characters and how they were set up in their individual movies and the larger Marvel world.

I am glad that Superman is different than the Marvel movies, glad that Batman is completely different from them all, and most of all happy that we are in a period of time where not all superhero/comic movies have to be the same in tone and style. Considering on average we get 4 superhero movies a summer now it would be tortureous if all they tried to do was to copy the last super successful ($) one.

Fuck off with that Batman shit. I'm getting sick of people deifying Nolan.

Its fair comparison considering its the same parent companies (DC and Warner) and that Nolan is involved in this project as well.

And saying its not as good as Batman doesn't mean its deifying Nolan or Batman. Its just the most direct apt comparison.

Like I said before: Nolan had it easy with Batman because he didn't have to deal with ridiculous enemies with super powers. It's easy to humanise those type of characters.

LOL. Batman is not easy to do when you have to balance a real world setting with a guy dressed as a Bat and some of the out there villains. Grounding Batman takes a lot more work than setting up a world where you start off with "ok he is an alien" so everything and everyone is fair game.

Nolan did have it easier in that he didn't have to visualize the action that is required in Superman movie with super powers, aliens, and tons of computer generated effects. Then again that is why Nolan was drawn to Batman as opposed to Superman. He even admitted that he couldn't do what Snyder did because he can't make a movie like this. He did pitch the general idea for it.

I think the writing is on par (I think Avengers deals with exposition with even less elegance) , but the acting on Avengers has the edge, and the delivery by RDJ and Ruffalo make the difference.

ElFly

I know all about that and that's why whenever there's a big circle jerk of BB I point out that only the first half is godlike, second half veers into middling super hero blockbuster action territory.

The big difference here is that Ra's isn't claiming "he is a man without a plan"... he has an elaborate plan that he had been working on for years to infiltrate Gothan. Joker up and comes up with an extremely elaborate plan spanning multiple locations and important figures in Gotham all while claiming "I don't have a plan, I am just a dog chasing cars". Yea OK buddy...

P sure he is trolling Dent.

Can't we all admit that both BB and TDK are amazing?
TDK is better

of course I liked it, but it doesn't make it better than TDK or MoS, just different. different tone, they were going for something different.
I'll admit I actually disliked Avengers. Cutting out widow, arrow and coulson probably would've made it one of my favorites. As it stands, MoS is better.

8HYYS5yl.jpg

strobogo

Banned
If I just watched OG Superman (which I did, and it is still pretty god damn great, a lot of the effects hold up shockingly well), how would I feel about this?

Oranges are totally better than apples, but the peeling is such a pain in the ass that apples are just easier.

effzee

Joker up and comes up with an extremely elaborate plan spanning multiple locations and important figures in Gotham all while claiming "I don't have a plan, I am just a dog chasing cars". Yea OK buddy...

TDK was directed with a more "realistic" approach in mind but in the end its neither more realistic nor more sci-fi/fantasy than BB.

While true, that is the whole point of the Joker's character. He presents himself as complete uncontrolled chaos but that is only to throw off the cops and Batman. In reality he is very cunning, has back ups to his back up plans, and is in complete control ONLY because he has no real end game other than to fuck shit up.

TDK does get the more realistic title only because the city is no longer a movie set, its Chicago. Its shot better with a increased budget, better effects, and compared to Begins focuses a lot more on the role of the police, DA, mayor, and the city itself as a character. Begins is largely about the beginning of Bruce's journey. I love that both are different, the same, and then different again. And you can't have TDK without setting up Bruce so perfectly in Begins, because he definitely takes a backseat to all the politics in TDK.

Toa TAK

Banned
Avengers was good for the goal they set out. It also fit the characters and how they were set up in their individual movies and the larger Marvel world.

No don't give me that crap that everyone spews, it was good period. That's like saying The Godfather was good for what that movie set out to be, instead of just acknowledging it was a good film.

The Joker's a bullshitter.

Yeah.

Raptor

Nah, it's a fun movie. We should be happy that the movie even exists.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it the first time I saw it, I had a great time seeing it.

Now I can't even watch half an hour before getting all bored.

Is not a rewatchable movie and that for me is the worse thing for a movie.

Toa TAK

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I loved it the first time I saw it, I had a great time seeing it.

Now I can't even watch half an hour before getting all bored.

Is not a rewatchable movie and that for me is the worse thing for a movie.

You're killing me Raptor. I just watched it last week (and again with commentary), still awesome.

effzee

No don't give me that crap that everyone spews, it was good period. That's like saying The Godfather was good for what that movie set out to be, instead of just acknowledging it was a good film.

Um that's what I meant. It was/is good. Its good superhero movie but its also a very different superhero movie than the ones we are getting from the DC camp which overall is a good thing in itself.

Its good and I said as much when it came out. But it definitely set out to do something different than the Nolan Batman movies. Its a continuation of the style, tone, and world built up through the individual movies. I am not trying to demean it.

Jarmel

Banned
I think the writing is on par (I think Avengers deals with exposition with even less elegance) , but the acting on Avengers has the edge, and the delivery by RDJ and Ruffalo make the difference.

There is a few cases in this movie that really slap me with how horrid the dialogue is and it's really something I didn't have an issue with in Avengers. I will admit that the two films are almost in different genres but some of the stuff in MoS is bad for the tone the movie attempts at.

Toa TAK

Banned
Um that's what I meant. It was/is good. Its good superhero movie but its also a very different superhero movie than the ones we are getting from the DC camp which overall is a good thing in itself.

Its good and I said as much when it came out. But it definitely set out to do something different than the Nolan Batman movies. Its a continuation of the style, tone, and world built up through the individual movies. I am not trying to demean it.

Ah, okay. I misread you there then. My bad.

And I do agree, some variety and different interpretations of the genre is always a good thing to have.

anaron

lol @ the denial and deflections ITT.

'Dawn of the Dead' aside, I don't regard Snyder very well; but I'm still going in open-minded.

Dumping the toxin into an open water pipe far from prying eyes in order to contaminate the water supply that will later be vaporized by a microwave emitter is far more realistic than sneaking in large amounts of explosives to a busy Hospital and not one but two Ferries that most likely are used regularly.

How's that for a run on sentene?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
This was a great superhero film. If you don't like this, then you seriously need to ask yourself what happened to your inner child who just wanted to see Superman do Superman shit.

AkuMifune

Banned
Dumping the toxin into an open water pipe far from prying eyes in order to contaminate the water supply that will later be vaporized by a microwave emitter is far more realistic than sneaking in large amounts of explosives to a busy Hospital and not one but two Ferries that most likely are used regularly.

How's that for a run on sentene?

He was able to summarize BB in one sentence. That is impossible for the insanity in TDK. My best take is:

The joker plans to plunge gotham into chaos by turning Batman and Harvey Dent into villains by making Batman choose who to kill by tricking him with false information so he thinks he's choosing his girlfriend, but he's really choosing dent after he is intentionally captured in a scene where he almost was not captured but its ok because one of his henchmen has a cellphone with a bomb surgically implanted inside him and he gets to make one phone call and then he's going to let one ferry of people get blown up by another ferry of criminals or the ferry of criminals get blown up by the ferry of civilians because that will make people lose hope? And the mafia he was bringing down because I don't know and he was burning money just to watch the world burn and my mind is full of fuck?

Still, less of a mess than TDKR. The loopholes in that are crazy.

Top Bottom