• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Yes. I've been retired for a while so I've not been keeping up on the latest situation, but I think it's safe to mention now that it was MangaReader (AFTV, a company run by a Turkish investment group) who first began erasing the boundaries between scanlation and aggregate sites. They were the first to create a proxy group (MangaZone) to try to lock down all the high traffic series. Before that happened aggregate sites just rehosted stuff produced by various fan groups.

Nowadays if you want to work on a really popular series your competition is going to have no qualms about quality, many paid staffers, and five day early raws. They will also have professional hired hackers from China who can DDOS you. You can't even begin to compete unless you match their raw speed. This is why only a tiny handful of fan groups are capable of playing in that league.
Are guns involved?

Suddenly I'm really relieved that you quit.

Yes. I've been retired for a while so I've not been keeping up on the latest situation, but I think it's safe to mention now that it was MangaReader (AFTV, a company run by a Turkish investment group) who first began erasing the boundaries between scanlation and aggregate sites. They were the first to create a proxy group (MangaZone) to try to lock down all the high traffic series. Before that happened aggregate sites just rehosted stuff produced by various fan groups.

Nowadays if you want to work on a really popular series your competition is going to have no qualms about quality, many paid staffers, and five day early raws. They will also have professional hired hackers from China who can DDOS you. You can't even begin to compete unless you match their raw speed. This is why only a tiny handful of fan groups are capable of playing in that league.

That's... crazy. I used to help TW with Naruto and then then joined them with their other projects like Death Note, Kekkaishi, and Mx0 but never came across this.

Wiseblade

That only goes to show, reading crappy translations of Jump series is supporting terrorism. Time to learn Japanese everyone.

Or Viz could stop being so terrible and bring Shonen Jump Alpha to Europe. Or at least the UK, Kurita, Akito, Lain etc can dry their tears with translated volumes of Magi and TWGOK.

upandaway

That only goes to show, reading crappy translations of Jump series is supporting terrorism. Time to learn Japanese everyone.
The translated scans are available before the public raws are released!

Though the public raws have been getting pretty great lately, in quality and speed, or maybe I'm just looking at the right places now.

That sounds pretty insane, but I can see how there's money behind the game. Money the mangaka will never see, because companies like Jump don't get the global market.

But then again, how do you beat leaks like that, without pissing off your retail customers?
The companies crack down once in a while and some shops get raided by the police, but people always end up finding alternatives.

Are guns involved?

Suddenly I'm really relieved that you quit.

Because of my particular role I know for a fact that people were trying to find out who I was in real life. I was very careful though, so no one ever did.

That's... crazy. I used to help TW with Naruto and then then joined them with their other projects like Death Note, Kekkaishi, and Mx0 but never came across this.

TW?

Kurita

Silver Spoon's french press kit is the shit.
59e1ce4a5c8d27bfe44b6c507a8112191358030413_full.jpg

The hell.
If you compete on the Big 3 then yeah, you need to get it out within about four hours of receiving the early raws. English audiences read it five days before Japan.

Is it okay to mention groups? Because I'd like to know the truly bad ones.
If we're talking about the Big 3 then Mangastream is the best way to go. They had to deliberately slow themselves down because they were getting too much heat from Viz, but they're fans and they actually lose money on their server costs.

Silver Spoon's french press kit is the shit.
59e1ce4a5c8d27bfe44b6c507a8112191358030413_full.jpg

I want this.

The companies crack down once in a while and some shops get raided by the police, but people always end up finding alternatives.

Because of my particular role I know for a fact that people were trying to find out who I was in real life. I was very careful though, so no one ever did.

TW?

Toriyama's World IIRC (they were the defacto group for Naruto/Bleach anime in the day)

and that sounds like some fucking mafia shit :O

Stinky

Haha, Silver Spoon MILK. Remember when Dominoes had One Piece on their pizza boxes in Japan? That one didnt make a whole lot of sense

Toriyama World IIRC

and that sounds like some mafia shit :O

Oh, they haven't been active since 2006. That was way before my time.

It definitely got crazy around the time that MangaReader went all hostile takeover on Mangastream. I could tell you some fucking stories about the shit that was going on around that time. It was cyber warfare and calling the cops down on your enemy's suppliers and all that shit.

Mysterious Girlfriend X 73

Santa outfits can't save this series
and they're awful anyway.

Bokura no Henbyoushi 1-7 (END)

Kgndh.png

Collection of short stories by Toume Kei (Yesterday o Utatte etc), virtually all of which had unsatisfying endings. Despite that, I enjoyed them, not least because they were generally a bit different.

Atashi no Banbi 1-4 (END)

Thought I'd break with tradition and try a (short) bog-standard shoujo featuring a smart girl and a smart-ass guy. Not sure whether I lucked out because this wasn't actually too bad, largely because of the characters.

Lain

It's sad how the manga for Fist of the North Star and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure both got completely screwed in the West.

FotNS got a graphic novel release from Viz in the 90s, but covered 5 volumes. Raoh barely got an introduction.
Raijin Comics tried again around 2003, but they failed, only managing to publish 9 volumes.
I wonder if Viz isn't allowed to license it again...

As for Jojo, hoo boy. Part 1 and 2 were completely skipped over, because Araki was ashamed of the art (kind of understandable). So it started with Part 3. Publication was ceased when someone found Dio reading the Qu'ran IN THE OVA, it didn't even happen in the manga. Yet somehow, this was enough to stop the manga for a year. It managed to finish off Part 3, so Part 4 is next right? NOPE! Dead in the water.

I wouldn't say both got completely screwed in the West, since certain parts of the West received both series to completion.

Oh, they haven't been active since 2006. That was way before my time.

It definitely got crazy around the time that MangaReader went all hostile takeover on Mangastream. I could tell you some fucking stories about the shit that was going on around that time. It was cyber warfare and calling the cops down on your enemy's suppliers and all that shit.

Jebus!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I wouldn't say both got completely screwed in the West, since certain parts of the West received both series to completion.

My apologies, I should have said "North America". I know Fist of the North Star was huge in France.

I'm really interested in hearing more scanlater mafia stories.

I once wanted to write a book about all of this but it would have been a massive undertaking and I'd probably have to burn a lot of bridges to do it.

By now I think I probably lost most of the important chat logs and the details aren't fresh anymore.

Kurita

My apologies, I should have said "North America". I know Fist of the North Star was huge in France.

The french dub of the anime was so bad.
The voice actors did not care about it (they thought it was a shitty show) and they changed the dialogues because they thought it was too violent...
Stupid puns everywhere, Raoh is now Raoul... My god...

scy

Atashi no Banbi 1-4 (END)

Thought I'd break with tradition and try a (short) bog-standard shoujo featuring a smart girl and a smart-ass guy. Not sure whether I lucked out because this wasn't actually too bad, largely because of the characters.

Sounds right up my alley. Even if the girl doesn't look like a girl half the time.

To be perfectly honest I retired because of the stress. I still can't talk about the craziest things I've seen and done in scanlation.

There's no such thing about statute of limitation for murder. You're stuck with that one forever!

Lirlond

I'm starting JoJo very soon actually - and I've got good scans of part 1 and 2 but I've heard part 3 has awful scans. I'll see if I can get the Viz prints because I'm not skipping arcs (but at the same time, poor scans or translations is almost always a deal breaker for me)

q4Gt0.gif

He thinks the part 3 scans are bad!!

Pyrokles

Neo Member

Woah, I knew the situation with those aggregate sites was bad, but I never thought it's organised like this.

To be perfectly honest I retired because of the stress. I still can't talk about the craziest things I've seen and done in scanlation.

I am convinced any sane person turns insane if exposed to that long enough. I always thought the stress that made you quit was 'just' the self-/group-imposed desire to maintain high quality while being fast as well.

So when do we get the scanlation manga, Molester Man/Bakuman style?

Or Viz could stop being so terrible and bring Shonen Jump Alpha to Europe. Or at least the UK, Kurita, Akito, Lain etc can dry their tears with translated volumes of Magi and TWGOK.

Hey consider some of us continental Europeans who aren't blessed like Italy and France are, too :-( I'd love to have German Magi and Shingeki no Kyojin. There is TWGOK, Vinland Saga and some of the more popular stuff like the Big Three, FMA and Yotsuba but that's not enough. I'd even settle for english SJ Alpha releases for now.

Reknoc

The french dub of the anime was so bad.
The voice actors did not care about it (they thought it was a shitty show) and they changed the dialogues because they thought it was too violent...
Stupid puns everywhere, Raoh is now Raoul... My god...

quatrekids

Make a manga about it, Scanlator Man.

I actually considered that too but I don't have an ounce of drawing skill and most of the same problems apply.

I will say this though, a lot of blood sweat and tears have gone into protecting Red Hawk series from profiteers. I wish every reader knew just how much work it takes to keep a group competitive like that.

I am convinced any sane person turns insane if exposed to that long enough.

All of my old colleagues at the administrator level are still there. The big boss is an Indonesian guy with an inhuman tolerance for this sort of bullshit.

Then again it was specifically my portfolio to handle the scanlator wars and the aggregate sites and the informant network.

I think I once described it as "descending into a pit full of monsters, wrestling with them in the darkness, and trying to emerge unchanged."

lol if you think it is depressing early on just wait till you catch up.

No, don't. You can only handle one of his mangas at a time, unless you are really in the mood to get bloody depressed.

Keep a bottle of anti-depressants handy.

You guys were right. I read the first 60 chapters last night and went to sleep pretty depressed. Gonna read more tonight though. I should have bought that anti-depressant...

Kreed

Wasn't MangaZone that group (they're dead now, so its okay to talk about them...right?) that had the utterly awful translation?

They aren't dead, they are just using the Manga Panda banner more often now.

Is it okay to mention groups? Because I'd like to know the truly bad ones.

Scanlation Groups = Ok

Links/Domain Names/Urls/Names for download sites/or just mentioning to someone on how to download scanlations for free = No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom