• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it is Lucci, Hattori somehow grew massive in two years. Pigeon steroids are a hell of a drug.

Or it could be someone completely new. Someone in the thread mentioned "Jack" earlier, it could be that guy, or the guys working for him.

It's probably Aokiji, if not him then a new character. No one else fits that personality.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Dunno, though I actually do think I mentioned it in passing before when it was it stuck in limbo at the start of the Miyuki arc.

Hm ... Countrouble if you haven't read it. I still need to go back and finish Kimi no Sei since I forgot about it after some angsty chapter awhile back.

Edit: And since it's on my mind, Nana to Kaoru fits ... though ... yeah. For a short, M to N no Shouzou was kind of neat.

I'm bad at recommendations. Hell, I'm bad at remembering everything I've read, apparently.

You and I have perfect sync in romance manga taste so it's all good.

Welcome newcomer.

Don't mind the title since its a inside joke for those who have been in this thread for some time.

Actually, Big One's post on the spoilers (dunno if they were real) was an attempt at humor, which is extremely bizarre coming from him. It's a bit like Commander Data breaking out in a boisterous laugh.

Welcome newcomer!

Beyond the F- being a reference to a certain someone, the title is pretty self-explanatory I think. It's not exactly unique to this thread :lol.

Some people in this thread give out grades to what they're reading, usually the big 3 shounen series, say they'll quit the series because it's so bad and then you see them back next week reading the next chapter and posting about it.

Okay. Thanks for the welcome!

Youre not on team Sasuke? :( Welcome.
Thanks. I still do like Sasuke but until basically the Itachi Arc my opinion on him started to get a little iffy.

Did not like his change into having a "Destroy Konoha because of what they did my loving brother whom I didn't realize until now" mentality he came away with at the end. Though, I do like some of the fights he's been in Part 2 like with B, the Kages, and Danzo.

Take DTL very seriously

Wait wh...

Mujihi na Karada 1

Ohhhhhh.

Hey all you new dude-mans, welcome! BUT...!! I don't approve of what you're doing.

When you're new, and you say you're new, you mention your readlist and favorite mangas, and get bombarded by recommendations despite not asking for any. It's the mangaf way. C'mon!
Well besides the Big 3, the manga's/manhwa's I'm currently reading are:

Beelzebub
Gintama
TLRD
Magi (Though I stopped after Hakuryuu got his Djinn, I will pick it up at a later time)
Cavalier of the Abyss
The Breaker: NW
Pandora Hearts
RealPG
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Pokemon Adventures

And manga's whenever they're released with new chapters:

Deadman Wonderland
Papa no Iukoto o Kikinasai
Nyan Koi!
Amatsuki
Bloody Monday Season III

As well as some others that have slipped my mind for right now.

I think every newcomer should read Onani Master Kurosawa, and then Molester Man some time later.
My post looks demented with titles like that

Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no aite ga 0 Yuuichi x Manami
The premise is interesting...but seriously ? Pairing brothers and sisters ?
Fucking japanese genetics, how do they work ?

scy

It's probably Aokiji, if not him then a new character. No one else fits that personality.

Probably. I'm thinking someone new (as "Jack", wasn't he on his way to Punk Hazard anyway?) to kind of introduce Donflamingo's crew proper to the story.

You and I have perfect sync in romance manga taste so it's all good.

Fluffy romances make me feel good on the inside.

So on that note, the bits of a love story in Umineko are worth noting. Even if it's filled with tragedy and trolling.

I was really hoping for more "SERIOUSLY?" pairings like the wincest route one. The rest haven't been that outlandish, really. Unfortunately.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think every newcomer should read Onani Master Kurosawa, and then Molester Man some time later.

It's only the first chapter. I really enjoyed the second couple. It's really nice.

Stinky

Probably. I'm thinking someone new (as "Jack", wasn't he on his way to Punk Hazard anyway?) to kind of introduce Donflamingo's crew proper to the story.

I hate it when a silhouette or shadowy character is revealed to be someone we've never even seen before ... but Oda did exactly that with Vergo.

Also someone pointed out that this is the "strong character on the move" Oda mentioned at Jump Festa (he said he "just handed in the manuscript" and it takes this much time for it to reach Jump).

Mr. Fix

I hate it when a silhouette or shadowy character is revealed to be someone we've never even seen before ... but Oda did exactly that with Vergo.

Also someone pointed out that this is the "strong character on the move" Oda mentioned at Jump Festa (he said he "just handed in the manuscript" and it takes this much time for it to reach Jump).

I thought that was referring to Doflamingo.

So, reasons to believe that shadow figure is not Aokiji:
1. Shadow doesn't look like any of Aokiji's previous or known designs.

Reasons to believe it is Aokiji:
1. Able to walk/sleep on water
2. General laziness and personality.

The silhouette could still be Aokiji's. I don't think that's the brow there, it could just be his hat.

scy

Yeah, it's kind of a letdown when "WHO'S THAT SHADOWY CHARACTER?!" ends up being "That's Bob, you don't know him." Well, fuck, what's the point?

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah, it's kind of a letdown when "WHO'S THAT SHADOWY CHARACTER?!" ends up being "That's Bob, you don't know him." Well, fuck, what's the point?

Yeah but this is totally Oda's style.. remember Dragon? And how late we found out who he was..

Yeah and for me it is one of these 3:

1: Aokij
2. Lucci (because of the pic I posted and the dove)
3. "Jack"

just based on characters who were mentioned or who we know.. maybe it is someone new, who knows.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
One Piece
It's Aokiji. Without a doubt. Not only does falling asleep fit his personality, but floating on an ice bird would fit his name "Blue Pheasant"

Akito

Smash ch1-26

i5pHAM54OZ3qI.jpg

A sports manga about badminton. It reminds me of Baby Steps quite a bit, there's your seemly ordinary boy as the male lead and the female lead is someone with exceptional skills and one of the reasons why he got drawn into the competitive side of the sports. There's also a cute love confession from the girl and everything.

Smash is also very down to earth, there are no special moves which could be used as weapons of mass destruction, so far at least. The manga doesn't really explain the basics of badminton though which is quite a shame.

upandaway

If it were in certain other manga yeah, but the character design in OP (and many other manga that pull the same stunts) is so out there that there's legitimacy to hiding it in if you're not doing a full introduction of the dude. Seeing his face and clothes is just as important for his introduction as his personality and allegiance. Half the time they're not even exclusive to each other.

Consider the following: the guy is new, and he isn't shaded out in those couple of tiny panels. You'd think someone slipped the beginning of next chapter into this one or something.

Kusagari

Akarui Sekai Keikaku aka The Smutter Games 1-6

This is like some bizarre hodgepodge of various manga. Some guy from the Japanese government, wearing a mask and acting like a troll from 4chan, goes to a Japanese school and declares to stop Japan's birth rate problems everyone in this school must become lovers or die. Within a month everyone in the school, except for 9 students, becomes lovers. These students include the main character, who is basically a more pathetic version of Keima, his insane lover who is a yandere on level with Yuno from Mirai Nikki and a loli who is basically a kinky version of Rikka from Chuu2. The troll proceeds to give the group a bunch of missions to get them closer together and if they fail then they'll die. Seriously, this thing is like the height of stupid but entertaining.

Akito

This is like some bizarre hodgepodge of various manga. Some guy from the Japanese government, wearing a mask and acting like a troll from 4chan, goes to a Japanese school and declares to stop Japan's birth rate problems everyone in this school must become lovers or die. Within a month everyone in the school, except for 9 students, becomes lovers. These students include the main character, who is basically a more pathetic version of Keima, his insane lover who is a yandere on level with Yuno from Mirai Nikki and a loli who is basically a kinky version of Rikka from Chuu2. The troll proceeds to give the group a bunch of missions to get them closer together and if they fail then they'll die. Seriously, this thing is like the height of stupid but entertaining.
So basically Catherine The Manga

upandaway

One Piece

Now that we established that it's Aokiji, can we freak out that it's Aokiji?

AOKIJI AND DOFLAMINGO BOTH COMING

Hey, I was waiting for that one! MU still has nothing, I didn't know it was translated..

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
How about Doflamingo and Aokiji come and team up with Luffy & Law (Okay maybe not Doflamingo, but for the duration of taking down one of the yonkou). Smoker quit the Marines and join them. Zoro and Sanji tag along.

Nuke every other strawhat from orbit.

BADASS SQUAD.

SUIT UP GENTLEMAN WE READY TO FUCK PEOPLE UP

You read Pandora Hearts? I respect you. Best manga ever.
Picked it up awhile ago and have been enjoying it ever since. Chapter 70 in particular may have been my favorite chapter and twist I read about in 2012.

I don't really mind what I read so long as its entertaing. So if those two are good manga's, I'll pick them up at some point.

Wiseblade

Picked it up awhile ago and have been enjoying it ever since. Chapter 70 in particular may have been my favorite chapter and twist I read about in 2012.

I don't really mind what I read so long as its entertaing. So if those two are good manga's, I'll pick them up at some point.

And when you say "by some point" you mean "in five minutes", right?

Bleach
tumblr_mgqkgtMV2F1qcrnx8o1_500.jpg

Just a really awkward and odd chapter. Wish it stayed focused on Ichigo and Renji, really enjoy the parts and roles they had in it even if minimal. The stuff with Unohana was just odd and kind of creepy. It was difficult to accept her complete change of character in this chapter, perhaps compounded even worst by after having watched that Beach Bleach episode and then remember all the good things shes done as a healer and what not. Having her as the most diabolical character in all of soul society who actually loves and enjoys fighting...perhaps it would be better if she had some twin brother who was locked down there and would be the one to fight Zaraki, I think that would work.

Jintor

I think I only ever used to come into this thread when the big three hit, so I thought the entire thread was just endless goddamn shonen

I'm glad I came in during a drought so I know this state of mind is only temporary

One Piece

Now that we established that it's Aokiji, can we freak out that it's Aokiji?

AOKIJI AND DOFLAMINGO BOTH COMING

That almost makes me want to catch up. But that would mean I'd actually have to read One Piece, while I could read something infinitely better than that.

lol

So close, upandaway.
So close.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I think I only ever used to come into this thread when the big three hit, so I thought the entire thread was just endless goddamn shonen

I'm glad I came in during a drought so I know this state of mind is only temporary
You are one of the inferiors I see.

That's okay.

One Piece
tumblr_mgqed8Ar181rkemgdo4_250.png

Decent action but it probably would have been much better if Oda had instead had Zoro, Luffy, Sanji, Trafalgar Law team up and deliver the moments. Sharp shooting and whatever Nami did was alright but not as actiony as I would have really wanted.

I hope the last panel is Sabo finally arriving in the story present day to join up with Luffy.

Akito

Smash ch27-53
This is really a weird sports series, not only that no basics were explained, all of the matches so far were exceptionally short and there was no one who would elaborate on what the characters were doing either. The male lead got injured sometime along the way and was doomed to be a spectator while the female lead won all of her matches with little to no effort. At least the characters are fine, the main couple is really adorable.

Steroyd

You really think this can happen?

Given his comments on Bleach, DTL ignores all rhyme and reason just so more more guys can be fit on screen.

Sabo will appear eventually, although I think it's highly unlikely he'd join Strawhats vs staying with the revolutionaries, if only for taking down nobility like the Celestial Dragons, because I'd be surprised if he doesn't have grudge.

upandaway

dB9TR.png

Mind blown into gooey fragments. Screaming Lessons got 3 TV episode thingys in Oct/Nov last year. Fuck, now this is going to keep me awake.
Is it really scary and scary and insanely scary and feel weird, or am I safe? You've been talking about it a lot but the whole scary thing is scary, and I'm.. not really.... good. With scary.

Thanks for recommending me Franken Fran. I'm enjoying it. I like the dark twisted humor.

I also started with Oyasumi PunPun. Currently at chapter 25 and it is promising to be an emotional ride. Quick question though: is the God character supposed to be based on a real person and why is the PunPun family so different from everyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom