• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What he says makes sense. Naruto/One Piece/Bleach fans are the worst.

I'm secretly keeping tabs of how often you make this complaint and I'm going to throw a huge party when you get to 1000, which will be next week

JohnDonut

Banned
Thanks for recommending me Franken Fran. I'm enjoying it. I like the dark twisted humor.

I also started with Oyasumi PunPun. Currently at chapter 25 and it is promising to be an emotional ride. Quick question though: is the God character supposed to be based on a real person and why is the PunPun family so different from everyone else?
They aren't. That's just how punpun sees them and himself. Everyone else sees him normally.

God character idk who it's based on, but you learn more later. Keep going.

Thanks for recommending me Franken Fran. I'm enjoying it. I like the dark twisted humor.

I also started with Oyasumi PunPun. Currently at chapter 25 and it is promising to be an emotional ride. Quick question though: is the God character supposed to be based on a real person and why is the PunPun family so different from everyone else?

Its a censor of sorts since they are apparently real people also.

still rubs me the wrong way though seeing that thing.

Kurita

The god's face in Punpun reminds me of the Beat Crusaders masks.
Beat-Crusaders.jpg

They were part of a collection of specials done by Ribon in conjunction with Oha Suta (kids' TV show). MAL refers to them as TV episodes, but after hunting around I think they're just the short, not very exciting things as seen on the Ribon website.

Edit: Actually, each of those videos was uploaded a few days in advance of the special that it shows (the video title gives the TV air date). Maybe they're just previews. Maybe I need sleep.

Is it really scary and scary and insanely scary and feel weird, or am I safe? You've been talking about it a lot but the whole scary thing is scary, and I'm.. not really.... good. With scary.
They're scary in the same way that those collections of children's horror stories you
probably
read when you were younger were scary. Maybe a bit worse. You'll be fine!

upandaway

They're scary in the same way that those collections of children's horror stories you
probably
read when you were younger were scary. Maybe a bit worse. You'll be fine!
Okay being real now, children's horror stories are ferociously scary to me. They're way scarier than "grownup horror". I don't know what it is. They're so.. transparent and obvious in their scariness-y practices, that my mind sorta skips the "oh so this and that were done this and that way because then they'll be scarier" and then I run out of things to think about (which is what I do to lie to myself that I'm not really scared) and I actually get scared. I always either remove myself from the area instantaneously or I beg for forgiveness from whoever is in charge.

Out of sheer curiosity I'll try it out a chapter or something eventually but man, scary stuff... man. Scary stuff.

scy

If it were in certain other manga yeah, but the character design in OP (and many other manga that pull the same stunts) is so out there that there's legitimacy to hiding it in if you're not doing a full introduction of the dude. Seeing his face and clothes is just as important for his introduction as his personality and allegiance. Half the time they're not even exclusive to each other.

Consider the following: the guy is new, and he isn't shaded out in those couple of tiny panels. You'd think someone slipped the beginning of next chapter into this one or something.

True. It works in context of One Piece I guess but it's hard to really feel anything about a shadowy character that ends up being ... someone new. Like, if it's teased as "GUESS WHO THIS IS!" and it's a new character. Just feels awkward to me, y'know? I like to solve things and being presented with that kind of situation just feels like cheating.

I think I only ever used to come into this thread when the big three hit, so I thought the entire thread was just endless goddamn shonen

I'm glad I came in during a drought so I know this state of mind is only temporary

WednesdayGAF is scary.

dB9TR.png

Mind blown into gooey fragments. Screaming Lessons got 3 TV episode thingys in Oct/Nov last year. Fuck, now this is going to keep me awake.

I never quite understood the lone red character.

Okay being real now, children's horror stories are ferociously scary to me. They're way scarier than "grownup horror". I don't know what it is. They're so.. transparent and obvious in their scariness-y practices, that my mind sorta skips the "oh so this and that were done this and that way because then they'll be scarier" and then I run out of things to think about (which is what I do to lie to myself that I'm not really scared) and I actually get scared. I always either remove myself from the area instantaneously or I beg for forgiveness from whoever is in charge.

Out of sheer curiosity I'll try it out a chapter or something eventually but man, scary stuff... man. Scary stuff.

They're really not that scary, more of those kind of shock scary things ("If you don't do it, the boogeyman will get you!") sort of things. There's still some horrific imagery at times but nothing that grotesque itself. It's like horror-lite.

I say this as someone else who really doesn't do well with horror stories in general.

I'd call it closer to disturbing than flat out scary. It's pretty damn shocking to be in a shoujo manga of all places. Some of the implications are worse than the most fucked up seinen out there.

It can be unnerving at times though, and based on what you said, it may be a bit much.

Never got a chance to post my One Piece and Bleach thoughts because they weren't out before work

Bleach

That face on Unohana was incredible, I'm also looking forward to seeing what Ichigo and Renji do to defeat or gain the acceptance of the original Zampaktos.

One Piece

Franky, Nami, and Usopp all need to get more fights and spot light because they're awesome. Reactions to General Franky were incredible

All in all 3 very enjoyable chapters this week

Also

Top Tier

ManGAF

Shit Tier

AnimeGAF
I kid

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I dont know, One Piece fans remind me of Black Ops fans.

I never thought a day would come when I could legitimately laugh due to something DTL would say.

I tip my hat off for you, sir.

NARUTO

Well...... certainly better than what I expected.

BLEACH

Teacher passing to student trope will mean that Unohana is going to be offed? :( But I really, really like her :(

Awesome stuff though. Awesome stuff.

ONE PIECE

I think this is the time for me to stop reading One Piece for a while. I'll resume reading it when it has collected bunch of chapters to read them all in one go. I find it tiresome to read One Piece one chapter at a time nowadays.

I think this is the time for me to stop reading One Piece for a while. I'll resume reading it when it has collected bunch of chapters to read them all in one go. I find it tiresome to read One Piece one chapter at a time nowadays.

I really wish i could stop reading the big 3 for while and let them build up but that not going to happen .
As for letting OP build up you can always try reading it by vols which is 10 or 11 chapters .
It's how a good chuck of the Japanese fan base read if you go by numbers .

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I really wish i could stop reading the big 3 for while and let them build up but that not going to happen .
As for letting OP build up you can always try reading it by vols which is 10 or 11 chapters .

That's how most low-ranking series stay afloat.
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan would always rank in the bottom 5 in Jump, but had amazing Volume sales, managing to keep it around for 210 chapters.

But yeah, most adult One Piece readers wait for the volumes. I remember reading Arlong Park waaay back when Volume 42 came out, and one of the Japanese-living forum users (an American that lives in Japan) mentioned a lot of girls were crying when they saw Chopper's Monster Point, noting that most readers in Japan wait for the volumes rather than buy Jump.

That's how most low-ranking series stay afloat.
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan would always rank in the bottom 5 in Jump, but had amazing Volume sales, managing to keep it around for 210 chapters.

But yeah, most adult One Piece readers wait for the volumes. I remember reading Arlong Park waaay back when Volume 42 came out, and one of the Japanese-living forum users (an American that lives in Japan) mentioned a lot of girls were crying when they saw Chopper's Monster Point, noting that most readers in Japan wait for the volumes rather than buy Jump.

Not really surprising a huge amount of OP fan base are adults so they just buy the Vols .
The same can be said for other series where the fan base just wait for the Vols also.
What is going to be interesting is seeing Jump circulation number when the each of the big 3 done .

Solune

Don't talk like this has nothing to do with you. Everyone are starting KS suddenly, this is your chance for a group read!
What did I do?? Also the way you edited your post makes it sound like you're leaving home with a piece of toast in your mouth.
mangagaf recommend me some romance manga, preferably not too shoujo/josei as far as art and themes go
Saikano
Iris Zero
Mai-Hime
Ichigo 100%
IO
Open Sesame
I was really hoping for more "SERIOUSLY?" pairings like the wincest route one. The rest haven't been that outlandish, really. Unfortunately.
It's a shame that it started out to be what seemed like a one shot and branched out the character arc. Then it was decided that it was best not pursue that route, or something. I was hoping for it to be like Mel Kano or Hatsukoi Limited where character arcs switch but still exist and make cameo appearances in future arcs.
WednesdayGAF is scary.
Eh it's only 1~2 days out of the week. It feels more oppressive than daunting, unlike the anime thread.

Pimpwerx

Bleach
Awesome chapter because Ichigo is finally about to get in a fight, and Unohana is somehow more badass than Kenpachi. Dis gon be gud.

Naruto
Does this qualify as deus ex machina? Because it stinks of deus ex machina. I'm not impressed, and was kinda bored with the Shikaku flashback. This is the first time since the chuunin exam that I've cared about Sasuke. No, I didn't care when Orochimaru tried stealing his body in Shipuuden.

One Piece
Franky is a boss. I never tire of the reaction shots. LOL! I'm glad GAF got on the case and determined that it was Aokiji. I honestly had no idea. Not much happened this chapter, but it was nice seeing Usopp and Nami doing something. Was anyone else bothered by how Kabuto was able to fire munition larger than its opening? PEACE.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bleach
Awesome chapter because Ichigo is finally about to get in a fight, and Unohana is somehow more badass than Kenpachi. Dis gon be gud.

Naruto
Does this qualify as deus ex machina? Because it stinks of deus ex machina. I'm not impressed, and was kinda bored with the Shikaku flashback. This is the first time since the chuunin exam that I've cared about Sasuke. No, I didn't care when Orochimaru tried stealing his body in Shipuuden.

One Piece
Franky is a boss. I never tire of the reaction shots. LOL! I'm glad GAF got on the case and determined that it was Aokiji. I honestly had no idea. Not much happened this chapter, but it was nice seeing Usopp and Nami doing something. Was anyone else bothered by how Kabuto was able to fire munition larger than its opening? PEACE.
It was explained to you like 8 chapters ago so no, its not a deus ex machina. Misusing the deus ex and calling any sort of plot development you don't like a deus ex is kind of silly - this plot development isn't any more or less out of the blue than any other manga plot development.

A deus ex would be Minato escapes from the Demon seal spontaneously and kills all the bad guys.

2San

mangagaf recommend me some romance manga, preferably not too shoujo/josei as far as art and themes go
Mahoraba - It has a pretty heavy focus on comedy.

Hoshi no Furu Machi
- more traditional shounen romance, but good art and well written.

Both are complete, so no cliffhangers to bother you. :p

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I'll probably just read it in every 10 chapters or so.

Reading One Piece lately has been a rather tiresome affair for me; I just read it by going through the motion, like a robot, no excitement, no wonderment, no amusement... nearly everything save for a little comedy here and there just felt flat.

Maybe by reading it in a bunch instead of just one by one I can find One Piece enjoyable again *shrugs*

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It was explained to you like 8 chapters ago so no, its not a deus ex machina. Misusing the deus ex and calling any sort of plot development you don't like a deus ex is kind of silly - this plot development isn't any more or less out of the blue than any other manga plot development.

A deus ex would be Minato escapes from the Demon seal spontaneously and kills all the bad guys.

Yes but this would also be incredibly awesome, so it would be forgivable.

AYS

Neo Member
Hey all you new dude-mans, welcome! BUT...!! I don't approve of what you're doing.

When you're new, and you say you're new, you mention your readlist and favorite mangas, and get bombarded by recommendations despite not asking for any. It's the mangaf way. C'mon!

But I don't keep a list of manga/manwha I read/have read.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
AKB 49 98-105

Acchan ;_;

Pretty decent rankings for our girls. I'm in love with Okabe now <3

Pimpwerx

8 chapters ago is almost 3 months ago, with all the breaks. You can't expect me to remember anything past last month. It was all rocks falling everywhere and Rin this, Rin that, eye-hax dreamland and "You should give up trying." "No never...datebayo." I completely forgot this little bit of asspull had been explained before. Now that you mention it, he did heal one-eye and bowlcut with it. But still, this massive scale chakra distribution is some major league bullshit. PEACE.

Bossun

Toriko 218

Well the games didn't last long.

No, and I hope it's not a sign of Toriko forgetting its story and having countless fight until the end, like a vast majority of shounen.

The world and history of Toriko are so fascinating. I think it's on par, maybe even higher, than One piece, in term of vastness and variety.

Mr. Fix

Clash? If Aokiji shows up what the fuck is Doflamingo going to do about it? He'll probably turn right back around.

Who knows, it'll spark some Haki debate though. Aokiji might be able use Haki as a shield (which I've yet to see Luffy do, so who knows if he's impervious to Dofla's ability- Jozu definitely couldn't do it, and he was only able to use if offensively) or Doflamingo could use Haki to hit Aokiji. It's like Kizaru and Rayleigh again, but on a different scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom