• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Akarui Sekai Keikaku aka The Smutter Games 1

"Do you remember every piece of trash of discarded trash, Whoever-kun?"

OK, this will be fun.

EDIT: OH SHIT MARIN-TAN!
An anime pillow getting NTR'd, isn't that something... :lol :lol :lol

scy

Toriko 218 - So much swagger in this chapter.

Open Sesame

Oh Open Sesame. Oh man.

It's a shame that it started out to be what seemed like a one shot and branched out the character arc. Then it was decided that it was best not pursue that route, or something. I was hoping for it to be like Mel Kano or Hatsukoi Limited where character arcs switch but still exist and make cameo appearances in future arcs.

Well, there's an omake chapter for the previous pairings but, yeah, they kind of just sort of disappear after their arc. Oh well.

Eh it's only 1~2 days out of the week. It feels more oppressive than daunting, unlike the anime thread.

They so hotblooded.

Erigu

[Naruto]
Everyone can handle Kyubi chakra now?!?
lol
And of course, the tactician Genius figured that one out merely based on Kakashi's testimony! Kurama is duly impressed!
Then again, that wasn't as Genial as when he explained the limitations of Obito's powers as if he had witnessed that fight with Konan...
Genius Genius Genius. Genius.

Fox318

So which tablet is better to read mangas on, Nexus or iPad?

I've only used android but I love my Xoom. I think the Nexus 10.1 should be awesome for reading manga online. There are a few great apps on android. I keep a few handy. I love the aspect ratio for reading.

I use MangaWatcher alot.
TTLBs.png

XLxW7.png

There is also the Viz Manga app
KInIt.png

SwCSx.png

and this is one of the only other stores for manga I've seen on android. I keep it installed to check to see if they add any stuff I might like to purchase but they seem to be targeting DTL more than me.
RiqSj.png

I'm hoping that more stores more more digital comic stores add more stuff too like comixology.

There are plenty of manga apps on the android market and plenty of comic reading apps.

I've only used android but I love my Xoom. I think the Nexus 10.1 should be awesome for reading manga online. There are a few great apps on android. I keep a few handy. I love the aspect ratio for reading.

There is also the Viz Manga app
and this is one of the only other stores for manga I've seen on android. I keep it installed to check to see if they add any stuff I might like to purchase but they seem to be targeting DTL more than me.
RiqSj.png

I use the Viz one, though for the DMP one, I just buy the Kindlle version of the manga, ah and I do have that Merry Men one that is in that photo.

Who knows, it'll spark some Haki debate though. Aokiji might be able use Haki as a shield (which I've yet to see Luffy do, so who knows if he's impervious to Dofla's ability- Jozu definitely couldn't do it, and he was only able to use if offensively) or Doflamingo could use Haki to hit Aokiji. It's like Kizaru and Rayleigh again, but on a different scale.

Luffy used Haki to block Hody's kick back on Fishman Island. Aokiji used Haki to block Whitebeard's shockwave along with the other two Admirals, and he later used it to survive a Haki stab from Whitebeard. Aokiji was also almost evenly matched against Akainu which should say it all. Doflamingo isn't even in the same league.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Basara vol25-27

Well, that was a pretty satisfying end.

Honestly though, this story can get really fucking confusing and convoluted, which is probably the side effect of having so many characters and story threads. Sometimes a character comes up and I'm like "Who are you? Why do you want to do this?". At least the main story can still be reasonably followed.

It seems like she did a much better job in tying that flaw up in 7 seeds.

The appendixes were cute.

Soma

Takemitsu Zamurai End

Pretty much just ran through the last five volumes last night. Really excellent samurai manga, probably one of the best in its genre. The story itself is kinda conventional (a tale of a ronin attempting to live a peaceful life as his violent past eventually catches up with him), yet it never once feels cliched. Great storytelling and all the little miscellaneous details (like the random conversations between the town animals) made it all really engaging from start to finish. The semi-traditional artstyle grew on me quite a bit by the first few volumes with moments of striking unsettling imagery made this manga really one of a kind.

Great stuff. One of my top favorite samurai manga ever as of now and wholeheartedly recommended to anyone interested in these types of stories.

Densha Otoko: Net Hatsu, Kakueki Teisha no Love Story

I went through this today after hearing the comparisons to Molester Man. Really cute story. Not much 'conflict' to speak of as far as the plot goes but it ended up being a pretty nice "feel good" story. The online audience giving him courage/advice as the story developed was pretty entertaining but I think my own jaded experience with message boards took me out of the story a few times towards the end (throughout my years of posting on forums I don't think I've seen a community as THAT positively encouraging but I'm probably just posting in the wrong places lol). Regardless though I enjoyed it and I really love Hara Hidenori's art style. There's something really charming about his character designs.

I remember my friend recommending the TV drama a few years ago but never got to it. Might have to actually check that out at some point

Jintor

Akarui Sekai Keikaku aka The Smutter Games 1

"Do you remember every piece of trash of discarded trash, Whoever-kun?"

OK, this will be fun.

EDIT: OH SHIT MARIN-TAN!
An anime pillow getting NTR'd, isn't that something... :lol :lol :lol

I'm glad I read this with no expectations

it's absolute nonsense, but it's somehow entertaining

also: that's my favourite Densha Otoko manga. The others are kinda eh

Antiwhippy

Toriko 218

This arc has been such a fucking disappointment. I was honestly looking forward to seeing how the author would do a cooking competition arc, but instead it's being rushed through for more bullshit shounen battles. (not that I dislike bullshit shounen battles.)

Argh.

Naruto

Obito sucks. Love the Sauce's jelly. Sick of the war arc. This whole fighting the ten tails is stupid, and it's getting boring. The sooner we can move on from this, the better (I don't think this is the last arc, but feels like we're in the home stretch, for sure).

One Piece

*dead silence*

Aokiji vs Doflamingo could be a lot of fun. Still waiting for my Enies Lobbyesque New World arc. Or just someone who can pose a threat to the Strawhats at this point would be nice.

One Piece Aokiji vs Doflamingo could be a lot of fun. Still waiting for my Enies Lobbyesque New World arc. Or just someone who can pose a threat to the Strawhats at this point would be nice.

Doflamingo should be no match Aokiji also if they meet up with everyone there Doflamingo has no hope in hell to win unless he more hax than anyone thought .
But yeah seeing some body give the SH a fight would be nice after 2 arcs of them getting easy .

Toriko

Why could we not enjoy more cooking games? None the less good chapter.

one peice
Luffy used Haki to block Hody's kick back on Fishman Island. Aokiji used Haki to block Whitebeard's shockwave along with the other two Admirals, and he later used it to survive a Haki stab from Whitebeard. Aokiji was also almost evenly matched against Akainu which should say it all. Doflamingo isn't even in the same league.

Ain´t that the truth. The shishibukai are on a different tier than the admirals. Not one of them can measure up to an admiral.

Cajun

Neo Member
Well since upandaway says it's how it's done...

I'm new to mangaf. I watched anime for the longest time, but recently I've been reading a lot more than I've been watching.

Recently I've read FLCL, One Piece, Molester Man, Onani Master Kurosawa, HxH, Magi, Aunt Tits, Nisekoi, and I'm currently marathoning Yamada and the 7 Witches. I'm sure there's other manga I've read in the past, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head. I stopped reading Naruto once Shipuuden started, and I stopped reading Bleach once Fullbring started (although I'm going to catch up to Bleach here soon).

It'd be great if someone could recommend a doujin along the lines of MM/Onani that are of such high quality. Of course, serialized series are fine to, but I've probably watched them in animated form if they were popular enough to be animated.

Edit: Ah I forgot my favorites. Onani and MM were brilliant, FLCL is to this day one of my favorite series, and One Piece is my current favorite.

bigkrev

I use the Viz one, though for the DMP one, I just buy the Kindlle version of the manga, ah and I do have that Merry Men one that is in that photo.

I got a Kindle when they first came out and were super expensive (like 2007 or so). Early on, there was some manga on the store, but it was all either super amateur stuff that people were self-publishing, or Yaoi.

I mostly just convert stuff myself now and put it on a Kindle- its my preferred way to read Manga, because it looks the most similar to reading a real Tanbokon.

Antiwhippy

Well since upandaway says it's how it's done...

I'm new to mangaf. I watched anime for the longest time, but recently I've been reading a lot more than I've been watching.

Recently I've read FLCL, One Piece, Molester Man, Onani Master Kurosawa, HxH, Magi, Aunt Tits, Nisekoi, and I'm currently marathoning Yamada and the 7 Witches. I'm sure there's other manga I've read in the past, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head. I stopped reading Naruto once Shipuuden started, and I stopped reading Bleach once Fullbring started (although I'm going to catch up to Bleach here soon).

It'd be great if someone could recommend a doujin along the lines of MM/Onani that are of such high quality. Of course, serialized series are fine to, but I've probably watched them in animated form if they were popular enough to be animated.

Edit: Ah I forgot my favorites. Onani and MM were brilliant, FLCL is to this day one of my favorite series, and One Piece is my current favorite.

Any relations to cajunator? :p

By doujins do you just mean a short series?

Shouta

Densha Otoko: Net Hatsu, Kakueki Teisha no Love Story

I went through this today after hearing the comparisons to Molester Man. Really cute story. Not much 'conflict' to speak of as far as the plot goes but it ended up being a pretty nice "feel good" story. The online audience giving him courage/advice as the story developed was pretty entertaining but I think my own jaded experience with message boards took me out of the story a few times towards the end (throughout my years of posting on forums I don't think I've seen a community as THAT positively encouraging but I'm probably just posting in the wrong places lol). Regardless though I enjoyed it and I really love Hara Hidenori's art style. There's something really charming about his character designs.

I remember my friend recommending the TV drama a few years ago but never got to it. Might have to actually check that out at some point

That manga is probably better than the drama overall. There are some really silly parts in the drama that kinda made it annoying. Plus, I don't like Ito Misaki, lol.

Cajun

Neo Member
Any relations to cajunator? :p

By doujins do you just mean a short series?

No relations to cajunator. I've just been using the name Cajun for everything for the past 8 or so years (XBL, other forums, etc.) And by doujins, I mean unserialized short series. Serialized manga of good quality are normally animated, so I would probably already know the story, as I've watched tons of slice of life romances.

Of course, manga that have been animated are still great recommendations if you believe the manga is without a doubt superior.

exarkun

Bleach is clearly a cut above the other two. For what it is, its turned into a lean, mean version of what a shonen should be. One piece has been fine, but Naruto is as boring as watching your grandmother clip her toenails. I didn't even care about the deaths, shit has been going on for so long.

Toriko should just replace Naruto now as part of the "big three". Only makes sense.

FYC

Banned
Oh, so the other two Trigun Maximum Ominbus's aren't even out yet in English? Oh well, now I'm excited to pick them up day one. Yay.

Where do you guys buy your manga? I see a few digital stores above, which I might look into, but physical is nice as well. Thinking of just using Rightstuf and Amazon if I can't find something in my local bookstore.

Antiwhippy

No relations to cajunator. I've just been using the name Cajun for everything for the past 8 or so years (XBL, other forums, etc.) And by doujins, I mean unserialized short series. Serialized manga of good quality are normally animated, so I would probably already know the story, as I've watched tons of slice of life romances.

Of course, manga that have been animated are still great recommendations if you believe the manga is without a doubt superior.

Hmmm, I disagree entirely, but that's an argument for somewhere else. :p

Shortest one I can think of is Solanin, which is probably one my favourite slice of life/drama due to how much I can relate to it. Give that a read if you haven't. Short and sweet.

Do you just want short stories though? I can recommend some longer ones.

Oh, so the other two Trigun Maximum Ominbus's aren't even out yet in English? Oh well, now I'm excited to pick them up day one. Yay.

Where do you guys buy your manga? I see a few digital stores above, which I might look into, but physical is nice as well. Thinking of just using Rightstuf and Amazon if I can't find something in my local bookstore.

Used to buy stuff from Rightstuff but that was a good while ago .

bigkrev

Manga sections at local B&Ns have been shrinking for years, Suncoast and the ilk are all out of business, and my local Comic Store stopped stocking Manga around the same time the physical Shonen Jump ended publication.

At this point, it's hard to recommend anything other than Amazon unless you have a local independent store you want to support. It's cheaper as well- I just picked up the 2nd 2-1 of Loveless for about 9 dollars on Amazon, which is about half cover price.

Also, check your local library. 1 of them near me has a gigantic Manga selection- I sometimes just go there on weekends and spend hours reading stuff and drinking smoothies.

Koganeiro, which was illustrated by Yoko (Molester/Masturbation) was what someone recommended me after I finished Masturbation Master, and while its really short (I think its only 3 or 4 chapters), its a great, fun, light read.

Cajun

Neo Member
Hmmm, I disagree entirely, but that's an argument for somewhere else. :p

Shortest one I can think of is Solanin, which is probably one my favourite slice of life/drama due to how much I can relate to it. Give that a read if you haven't. Short and sweet.

Do you just want short stories though? I can recommend some longer ones.

Well, of course, people's taste differs, so you could argue that easily based on that alone.

And length is a matter of opinion, so something you think is long might be short for me. Pretty much, anything I can sit down and marathon in a single day is short (Onani, MM, etc.). I'm not talking FLCL short here. I'd prefer not to get too may on-going series recommendations though.

Edit: Also, I looked up Solanin. I'll read it after I finish Yamada. A tragedy genre tag always boosts my expectations for a series.

Bossun

One piece

I sure hope SH are stronger than sichibukai now, they were on par or stronger than some sichibukai already.
I think they should be close to admiral by now, well I hope so..

Antiwhippy

Well, of course, people's taste differs, so you could argue that easily based on that alone.

And length is a matter of opinion, so something you think is long might be short for me. Pretty much, anything I can sit down and marathon in a single day is short (Onani, MM, etc.). I'm not talking FLCL short here. I'd prefer not to get too may on-going series recommendations though.

Edit: Also, I looked up Solanin. I'll read it after I finish Yamada. A tragedy genre tag always boosts my expectations for a series.

Completely opposite of what you're looking for, but if tragedy is your thing then you have to read 7 seeds. :p

As for tragic shorter manga I'd say me and the devil blues as well as helter skelter are good reads. (actually they're more insane than tragic i guess.)

If you like slice of life also check out yokohama kadaishi kikou.

Oh yeah, lucifer and the biscuit hammer is fairly short too.

One piece

I sure hope SH are stronger than sichibukai now, they were on par or stronger than some sichibukai already.

You mean Luffy was on pair not the SH. The rest of the SH took the crew. I doubt that Zorro can match Mihawk just yet.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One piece

Admiral level is too much. Vice-Admiral level sounds likely though as all Vice-Admirals are required to know Haki.
Warlord level varies. Mihawk, Hancock, Kuma, and Law are all insanely powerful in their own way, and what little we've seen of Doflamingo shows he's a formidable opponent. Crocodile didn't seem to indicate having Haki, or if he did he felt he didn't need it, and Moriah always lost due to laziness.
The only Warlord that doesn't seem to be a threat is Buggy. I can't imagine he got much stronger in the timeskip.

To LOVE-Ru Darkness 01-27

It's quite amazing the change from the first series to this.

It's also quite amazing this is a shounen as well.

Cajun

Neo Member
Completely opposite of what you're looking for, but if tragedy is your thing then you have to read 7 seeds. :p

As for tragic shorter manga I'd say me and the devil blues as well as helter skelter are good reads. (actually they're more insane than tragic i guess.)

If you like slice of life also check out yokohama kadaishi kikou.

Oh yeah, lucifer and the biscuit hammer is fairly short too.

Oh definitely don't think I'm restricting recommendations from different genres than I ask for. I would just prefer it from those genres currently because I recently read Onani and MM, and I'm sitting there going "need...more."

The monster trio should be above Vice-Admiral level of course they might have 3 or 4 that can give them a good fight since not everyone going to be equal in power .

Bossun

Admiral level is like one step below Yonkou. They're not there yet.

That's the thing, seeing how Luffy didn't give two shit about angering Big Mom I think he's fairly confident he could take a yonkou.

Afterwards power in OP is not so clear cut as to say shichibukai<Vice-admiral<..etc. I'm fairly certain some shichibukai like Mihawk are considered far above the other shichi.

That's the thing, seeing how Luffy didn't give two shit about angering Big Mom I think he's fairly confident he could take a yonkou.

Afterwards power in OP is not so clear cut as to say shichibukai<Vice-admiral<..etc. I'm fairly certain some shichibukai like Mihawk are considered far above the other shichi.

When has luffy ever gave a shit about who he pisses of .
This is the guy that told WB go to hell with out a care in the world .

I agree about it not being so cut and dry since i feel any of the admirals could give a Yonkou a good fight .

Mr. Fix

Oh yeah, forgot about those. Good point. I don't think Doflamingo would just back off though. He could pretty much hold anyone other than Luffy (and maybe Zoro) hostage at PH.

Also this. But I am in agreement that it's due to the DF abilities of the admirals that make them seemingly stronger than the Warlords. If Zoro could have actually cut Monet, would that mean that Mihawk could actually cut the admirals. At best though it probably wouldn't be permanent if they use it defensively.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
"???" = Yonkou > Admirals > Mihawk > Doflamingo > Monster Trio >/= Kidd > Rest of Shichibukai = Supernova's > Vice Admirals >/= SH's

??? being a group we don't know about yet. But I'm sure it's coming.

Bossun

Not really the same thing, he went against far stronger ennemies before the timeskip and know the danger of angering them.

And anyway he almost always went against people he knew he could beat, so I have no hesitation saying he can own at least Doflamingo.

^There's blackbird group which I think is gonna be one of the last ennemies

Cajun

Neo Member
I don't get why characters in One Piece are always given power levels and put in a group with other characters. Sure, Yonkou are being brought across as though they are the epitomy of strength in One Piece, but I believe we've seen characters such as Mihawk that could rival a yonkou in fighting abilities alone. (I don't think abilities make a person a yonkou, but their reign and subordinates) This is just an example, of course.

Going by the mentality that characters in OP are put into a division of power, I'd say Luffy is on the level of a top vice-admiral. The way I look at it, Smoker is to Luffy what Garp was to Roger, so Luffy should be at about the same level of strength as Smoker through most of the series. Zoro and Sanji are close in power, Franky and Brook will be slightly below that (captain I would presume), and I'll be honest, the crew members that are below them have the primary focus of clearing fodder, so it doesn't really matter.

Also, let's not write Doflamingo off yet. The way Punk Hazard has been going, anything could happen at this point. Oda likes to mix it up at the end of arcs, and considering this arc has already been all over the place, we won't know until we know. Joker could still be end-series villain material for all we know (it's not likely at this point though).

Mr. Fix

"???" = Yonkou > Admirals > Mihawk > Doflamingo > Monster Trio >/= Kidd > Rest of Shichibukai = Supernova's > Vice Admirals >/= SH's

??? being a group we don't know about yet. But I'm sure it's coming.

Not sure about Yonkou beating out the rest. Powerful sure, but it's all about the matchup. If Mihawk had a large crew, I'm sure he'd be a Yonkou. With Big Mom at least it seems to be more about influence and scale, which of course would be supported by her own strength, but I'm sure an Admiral could take out one that isn't WB. That's pretty spot on as I see it though, stat. Though I'd probably put Law ahead or the with the trio.

Oh definitely don't think I'm restricting recommendations from different genres than I ask for. I would just prefer it from those genres currently because I recently read Onani and MM, and I'm sitting there going "need...more."

Go for 7 Seeds.

EDIT: Also try Kagoneiro. From the same artist that made Onani and MM.

I'm sure an Admiral could take out one that isn't WB.

I highly doubt it, that's not how they've been hyped. Let's not forget that Akainu stopped dead in his tracks when Shanks confronted him at Marineford. This is Akainu who has no fucks to give. He was like NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom