• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GManDH

The guys I'm closest with though are my fellow admins, they're the only ones I still chat with today. Our Indonesian leader, the French schoolteacher, the Brazilian student, the white guy teaching English in Japan, and the dude in Oregon working in an electronics retailer. My nakama.

True story: The Brazilian dude learned English by reading manga translations.

i learned english through music.

How did you guys handle the time zone difference?

I can relate to the Brazilian student since I learned english playing video games.

Indonesian guy and I were exactly 12 hours apart. One of us was around at all times. Together we ran the group literally 24/7. For specific series and such we would just assign people who could take care of stuff at the right times.

I should probably read Aunt Tits someday.

Jintor

Angel Densetsu 71

Angel_Densetsu_v14_026.jpg
This fucking series, man.

Jintor

Angel Densetsu 75

I like how characters can simultaneously be really smart and genre-smart by simply getting rid of stupid misunderstanding complications, but at the exact same time be complete god damn idiots

I shouldn't have started this part 2: Takamagahara

Fuck WSJ readers. This probably had the most potential out of any cancelled series I've read including MxO. Such a neat, yet familiar take on special abilities and the battles accompanying them. Could have been a straight up manga X-Men, but nope, it had to end prematurely :(

dramatis

I shouldn't have started this part 2: Takamagahara

Fuck WSJ readers. This probably had the most potential out of any cancelled series I've read including MxO. Such a neat, yet familiar take on special abilities and the battles accompanying them. Could have been a straight up manga X-Men, but nope, it had to end prematurely :(
You have to admit, it started off pretty generic. Probably by the time it got better it couldn't avoid cancellation.

I do think that the artist was literally bleeding effort through the page, even if the art style was a little iffy.

upandaway

Touching their person or something they're wearing?

GEEZ, DID YOU NEVER PLAY TAG IN YOUR CHILDHOOD?
*ahem* I'll now attempt to diagnose the level of expertise several peeps here had in tag in their childhood. I'll only do those I know I can attempt, no wild guesses, sorry everyone else. Please confirm/deny.

upandaway: the terribelest ever oh my god.
haly: bad when "it", but can magically be clean the whole game if given the chance.
scy: average due to lack of practice. could become pretty good if he wanted.
grimace: fluctuating between really good and a bit bad, loses all motivation pretty quickly.
kurita: doesn't matter, he had fun.
b-dubs: his performance is directly correlated to whether he or one of his close friends started as "it" or not
wiseblade: good all-rounder, but would lose in a second against professional taggers
ignis: always tries out weird manipulative things to make him pull ahead and it never works out. dunno how he'll be if he ever tried it seriously.
kusagari: shh, keep it a secret from him, but any single time he had good performance can be directly linked to someone going easy on him
stat flow: became good through sheer hard work despite no talent. inspiring.
articalys: please come back next week

Jintor

Angel Densetsu 84

Man. I haven't marathon'd a series like that for a while. That was excellent, dodgy initial art aside. I would buy an official english release in a heart-beat.

*ahem* I'll now attempt to diagnose the level of expertise several peeps here had in tag in their childhood. I'll only do those I know I can attempt, no wild guesses, sorry everyone else. Please confirm/deny.

haly: bad when "it", but can magically be clean the whole game if given the chance.
grimace: fluctuating between really good and a bit bad, loses all motivation pretty quickly.
b-dubs: his performance is directly correlated to whether he or one of his close friends started as "it" or not
wiseblade: good all-rounder, but would lose in a second against professional taggers
ignis: always tries out weird manipulative things to make him pull ahead and it never works out. dunno how he'll be if he ever tried it seriously.
kusagari: shh, keep it a secret from him, but any single time he had good performance can be directly linked to someone going easy on him

I think we've discovered our character log for our Tag manga

Now that I think about it, there are a lot of interesting people in scanlation from all over the world.

There was that translator working as a diplomat in Austria who could speak five languages. She had trained since early childhood in several martial arts, including the use of knives, swords, and naginata, and was frequently unavailable because she was at one dojo or another. There was that other translator who was a mother who spoke three languages and had a PhD in chemistry; she spent most of her time doing postdoctoral research. She had to take a break once because a student of hers accidentally spilled liquid nitrogen on her and sent her to the hospital. Good times.

I remember you talking about this, i forgot what series she was doing though (either silver spoon or FMA???)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I go hard at all times. Besides when we played tag we always had two people it, made it a lot harder. If you weren't it expect to be stalked like a gazelle being stalked by a lion, if you were it you ran your ass off and hoped you could trap them in a corner. We took our tag seriously. (we were all sprinters on the track team, don't judge us)

Funny stuff though.

wonzo

Banned
RightStuf has a 33% off sale on all Vertical Inc manga. Get on it my fellow SHITEATERS.

Now that I think about it, there are a lot of interesting people in scanlation from all over the world.

There was that translator working as a diplomat in Austria who could speak five languages. She had trained since early childhood in several martial arts, including the use of knives, swords, and naginata, and was frequently unavailable because she was at one dojo or another. There was that other translator who was a mother who spoke three languages and had a PhD in chemistry; she spent most of her time doing postdoctoral research. She had to take a break once because a student of hers accidentally spilled liquid nitrogen on her and sent her to the hospital. Good times.
If you ever get around to writing that scanlator book then I'll definitely pick up a copy or ten.

You have to admit, it started off pretty generic. Probably by the time it got better it couldn't avoid cancellation.

I do think that the artist was literally bleeding effort through the page, even if the art style was a little iffy.

Conceptually and even character-wise, it's generic as hell. But scope-wise, it had a lot of potential to have really creative battles with really creative abilities. It's just so disappointing to me because I've dabbled with the idea of everyone having super powers before, so to actually see it happen and then end in 17 chapters makes me sad.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The guys I'm closest with though are my fellow admins, they're the only ones I still chat with today. Our Indonesian leader, the French schoolteacher, the Brazilian student, the white guy teaching English in Japan, and the dude in Oregon working in an electronics retailer. My nakama.

True story: The Brazilian dude learned English by reading manga translations.

I am still mindblown by the fact that the leader of you folks is an Indonesian o_O

bigkrev

This is DTL posting member pairings in the anime thread great.

Conceptually and even character-wise, it's generic as hell. But scope-wise, it had a lot of potential to have really creative battles with really creative abilities. It's just so disappointing to me because I've dabbled with the idea of everyone having super powers before, so to actually see it happen and then end in 17 chapters makes me sad.

If you dont find these interesting enough to read weekly when they are running, then why would people in jpn find it interesting enough to vote for it.

I think the start did hurt it, I think I said in a final write up of it last season. If the the two other characters were present with the main character from a much earlier time, time with the guy that absorbs people was decreased, and they were at the school and takama-ga-hara more, then it probably could have really turned out much better as it was going. Good art.

upandaway

Nisekoi

All of my Nisekoi:
Vlv0RcL.png

btw do flights even do that? I've never seen them made.. earlier.

Beelzebub

Haha oh wow, I love everyone's nicknames. Teddy Bear :lol

Kusagari

Now I'm doubting the mad tag skills I believed I had as a kid. My life will never be the same. Thanks!

Tizoc

So I've read Naruto Vol. 42, since I'm catching up be re-reading from Vol. 40 onwards and...did Kishimoto quickly finish up Jiraya vs. Pain just so Sasuke vs. Itachi could start?

Angel Densetsu 75

I like how characters can simultaneously be really smart and genre-smart by simply getting rid of stupid misunderstanding complications, but at the exact same time be complete god damn idiots

I don't get what you mean...

I don't really like the ambushing aspects, I kind of think of it more as a free-running style thing. The other thing though is that I wanted to start from like a smaller aspect, like start in (ha-ha) an ordinary high-school and then scale up from there rather than immediately going global. You know, standard tournament fare only the tournament is run via a mysterious smartphone app (Mayonaka App?) and it's god-damned tag

What's a good long seinen/josei I should read?
Kuragehime
Otoyomegatari

I can't think of any seinen that hasn't let me down. Although try out Shin Angyo Onshi.

Jintor

I don't get what you mean...

In the page I posted, Ikuno immediately lays out what happened yesterday to Ryouko to avoid misunderstandings and accepts the blame for whatever she's done. However, she does it in a way that doesn't really let any mitigating factors in. She's simultaneously the most sensible and dumbest of all the people in their friend circle.

Tizoc

However, she does it in a way that doesn't really let any mitigating factors in.

OK maybe it's because I've been having a little headache all morning, but I'm having a little difficulty understanding that line.
Is it like saying she was trying to be subtle but failing at doing so?

Jintor

OK maybe it's because I've been having a little headache all morning, but I'm having a little difficulty understanding that line.
Is it like saying she was trying to be subtle but failing at doing so?

She completely failed to be subtle. On one hand, it's good; no misunderstandings about what was going on before, and she takes all responsibility. On the other hand, it's bad, because she doesn't actually attempt to explain herself.

It's like admitting you did an action but without arguing an actual defence. It's noble, it's the right thing to do, but it's also stupid.

Knights of Sidonia

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate stories that don't establish context. This whole first chapter was nothing but random-ass shit one right after the other. It made zero effort to gain my interest at all. It was just bad. It's kind of insulting that this shit gets published. Who edited this?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

THat'd be a good premise for a manga.

Tag X Tag: Tag Games

Wiseblade would lose without all his fake anime clips. Unless he was like Bataman and had prep time.

Me I'd be pure hit and run. The Tuxedo Mask of tag.

I can't take any more. I'm moving on from Sidonia, this is completely lacking in the most basic storytelling composition. It's incoherent, which is the worst thing you can say about a comic book. Medical Dragon's up next.

Jintor

THat'd be a good premise for a manga.

Tag X Tag: Tag Games

Wiseblade would lose without all his fake anime clips. Unless he was like Bataman and had prep time.

Me I'd be pure hit and run. The Tuxedo Mask of tag.

Man catch up it spun out of my idea and now the manga is about the legal battles of whose idea it really was

One thing I would like to do is have all the background characters be game creators

Kamiya is in every crowd shot

Kurita

Yeah, I didn't care, just wanted to have fun. I wasn't bad though!
Good job.

Azure J

Hey MangaGAF, what was the name of that manga starring the couple with the boy who "killed" his girlfriend because he was a Human Torch again? While we're at it, did the manga update at all?

Jintor

This is really funny, but the art looks terrible. What is wrong with their faces? The eyes are so wide apart.

And what's worst is that the manga looks genuinely interesting.

The art's pretty meh throughout but it gets the job done and it does get better. Same mangaka as claymore, which i'm considering checking out later. The eye width thing never really changes though.

105 chapters? Great. I'll read during the Chinese New Year.

Meanwhile I wonder why people loved the story in the 999 game. It's pretty lousy and is further ruined by some of the worst exposition ever.

The prose is lousy, the story is excellent. Plus it ties into some videogame-specific stuff which hasn't been done for western audiences much before. The author himself didn't think much of it though lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
105 chapters? Great. I'll read during the Chinese New Year.

Meanwhile I wonder why people loved the story in the 999 game. It's pretty lousy and is further ruined by some of the worst exposition ever.

Waga na wa umishi has a kinda slow start, but if you can stick with 7 seeds early parts than you can stick with this too. :p

Ship salvaging has never been so epic.

Oh god now I want to reread it again. It's so goddamn good.

Soma

Hey MangaGAF, what was the name of that manga starring the couple with the boy who "killed" his girlfriend because he was a Human Torch again? While we're at it, did the manga update at all?

It's "Haru no Houtai Shoujo".

and nah I haven't seen anything past chapter 2 yet as far as translations go.

Jintor

The source is pretty lewd (
I.E. Hentai
) but I can pm you the title if you're really interested.

Go for it.

I just wanted to elaborate on the terrible art thing - I think the first time through a manga especially when you're reading to find out 'what happens next', I tend not to care so much about the art as I do the events of the narrative, what's happening to the characters etc. It's only really on re-reads that I begin to focus on the art. I think on an initial read - the important read, anyway - it's down to layout and impression that is far more important than the actual quality of the artwork itself.

That said terrible art's gonna be terrrrrrrrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom