• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

The discussion level is about equiv to the shonen fighting discussions though, just about boning (or not boning, as the case may be)

The prose is lousy, the story is excellent. Plus it ties into some videogame-specific stuff which hasn't been done for western audiences much before. The author himself didn't think much of it though lol

Not a fan of the story either.

But I love the game concept and puzzles though, so can't wait to get to VLR next.

Is is that good?
Yeah it's really good and it'll take around 25-30 hours to see everything. It improves upon 999's gameplay design in every logical way. There were at least 5 times the game made me say "oh shit!/wow!" Because it legit caught me off guard.

Will it be hard to find or anything? I wanted to get it alongside a 3DS and Pokemon.

I had to special order my copy from GameStop because they were sold out. If I were you I'd buy it now because it may become really hard to find later and I don't think a digital copy exist for 3ds

Jintor

Yeah it's really good and it'll take around 25-30 hours to see everything. It improves upon 999's gameplay design in every logical way. There were at least 5 times the game made me say "oh shit!/wow!" Because it legit caught me off guard.

I had to special order my copy from GameStop because they were sold out. If I were you I'd buy it now because it may become really hard to find later and I don't think a digital copy exist for 3ds

Though you best play 999 first if you 'aven't

upandaway

ARGH but it would be really expensive to import it now. I'd much rather do it with the 3DS to save money. It's still on Amazon too (999 still there too actually).

I don't know, man. This is risky as hell but I don't know. I don't know. Should've done it when Playasia had free worldwide shipping arghhhhhhhhh

ARGH but it would be really expensive to import it now. I'd much rather do it with the 3DS to save money. It's still on Amazon too (999 still there too actually).

I don't know, man. This is risky as hell but I don't know. I don't know. Should've done it when Playasia had free worldwide shipping arghhhhhhhhh

Where do you live, can't you get it via Amazon?

I wouldn't get anything on PlayAsia. They jack up the prices.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The art's pretty meh throughout but it gets the job done and it does get better. Same mangaka as claymore, which i'm considering checking out later. The eye width thing never really changes though.

Don't get too excited for Claymore, it's just a huge number or women(that you have a hard time remembering who is who, since many of them looks alike) fighting monsters with crazy designs. Don't expect to laugh either.

Tizoc

Catching up with Naruto and there are some inconsistancies with what Itachi tells Sasuke about Madara, and when 'Madara' tells Sasuke about his past.
I'ma just chuck it to Kishimoto making it up on the fly *shrugs*
Also Itachi is crazy and passed his crazy onto Sasuke.

Also Danzou's an ass for killing that little messenger froggy with the cool googles >=(

Jintor

Don't get too excited for Claymore, it's just a huge number or women(that you have a hard time remembering who is who, since many of them looks alike) fighting monsters with crazy designs. Don't expect to laugh either.

Lame. Is the fight choreography any good? Some of Angel Densetsu's later chapters can be really powerful in impact, if not necessarily art.

Angel_Densetsu_v14_031.jpg

Angel_Densetsu_v14_032.jpg

Angel_Densetsu_v14_033.jpg

That last page in particular is excellent.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Waga na wa umishi 58

God, it's been awhile since I read this but it's still as awesome as always. While bon is an idiot and does some really fucking stupid things, the manga makes up for it by creating some pretty badass scenarios. Never knew ship salvaging could be so epic till arcs like raising a ship to save Japan's economy or stopping a gas tanker to explode on narita with the force of a small nuclear bomb.

All while sticking pretty close to the theories of ship salvaging and how the sea operates. Probably. I don't know anything about either subject.

Lame. Is the fight choreography any good? Some of Angel Densetsu's later chapters can be really powerful in impact, if not necessarily art.

That last page in particular is excellent.

The first half of Claymore is pretty good. The pace is like a salmon swimming majestically in the rivers of Idaho.

The second half is like a salmon flopping frantically after being half eaten by a bear.

Lirlond

Everything before the timeskip == Well thought out, decently paced, nicely portioned.

Everything after == Who is this, where is she going? Is that Claire? What happened to the kid? Who's this?

Jintor

Dunno. I just remember that it had the creeeeeeepiest facial expression.

I one day hope to draw something as frightening as it. Normal facial expressions are easy, but drawing creeeeeepy facial expressions without just drawing crappy ones is pretty difficult

Maedhros

The guys I'm closest with though are my fellow admins, they're the only ones I still chat with today. Our Indonesian leader, the French schoolteacher, the Brazilian student, the white guy teaching English in Japan, and the dude in Oregon working in an electronics retailer. My nakama.

True story: The Brazilian dude learned English by reading manga translations.

I learned English translating Alundra, since I got stuck at one puzzle. I played the game with instincts, but in that part the text was really necessary and I never used walkthroughs. So, I've transcribed the script of the game until that part and with a dictionary, translated the first third of the game.

The puzzle was easy enough after that. Lol.

Hungry Joker 12
tumblr_mhwlwjE4pI1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The pain when ones favorite manga lands in their hands, this chapter so many issues. Gah. Anyway, really good chapter with the final reveal. Haichi faces never get old and quite good comedy and a friendship moment too. Wonder if they will defeat anymore Minotaurs?

scy

*ahem* I'll now attempt to diagnose the level of expertise several peeps here had in tag in their childhood. I'll only do those I know I can attempt, no wild guesses, sorry everyone else. Please confirm/deny.

upandaway: the terribelest ever oh my god.
haly: bad when "it", but can magically be clean the whole game if given the chance.
scy: average due to lack of practice. could become pretty good if he wanted.
grimace: fluctuating between really good and a bit bad, loses all motivation pretty quickly.
kurita: doesn't matter, he had fun.
b-dubs: his performance is directly correlated to whether he or one of his close friends started as "it" or not
wiseblade: good all-rounder, but would lose in a second against professional taggers
ignis: always tries out weird manipulative things to make him pull ahead and it never works out. dunno how he'll be if he ever tried it seriously.
kusagari: shh, keep it a secret from him, but any single time he had good performance can be directly linked to someone going easy on him
stat flow: became good through sheer hard work despite no talent. inspiring.
articalys: please come back next week

I'll practice.

Tomorrow.

Honest.

Lain

Air Gear volume 36
W2l.jpeg

Once again, a great volume (and with a great cover as well), full of showy tricks, badassery and made up stuff (the whole 99% against the 1%).
The best part about the volume has to be when Ikki breaks out of Sora and, with a lame crying face, states that he's about to kill him.

If there is one thing I love about Air Gear above everything else, is how consistent it is with the over the top, silly and bad ass moments.

Wiseblade

*ahem* I'll now attempt to diagnose the level of expertise several peeps here had in tag in their childhood. I'll only do those I know I can attempt, no wild guesses, sorry everyone else. Please confirm/deny.

wiseblade: good all-rounder, but would lose in a second against professional taggers

I was actually amazing. I was one of the fastest in my school and could turn on a dime. There were people better than me, but I was high up.

Air Gear like Tenjou Tenge before it was great until Oh!Great starts to believe he's a deep philosophical writer then everything goes to shit. But since he's such a damn amazing artist, I look forward to every single thing he puts out.

Coming back from the The Amazing Spider-Man 2 plot synopsis thread, I'm really wondering ... do you guys read US comics too?

I tried to read X-Men few years back, but I just can't deal with the art. I think it's mostly the body proportions that throw me off.

Examples of the villain "Rhino" from the Spider-Man thread.

naPQLkH.jpg

OQfOH20.jpg

I'm sure it's not all bad and there's obviously bad art in manga too, but even the big comic series can look really terrible.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I haven't read US comics in a while.
There's too much bullshit to deal with. Especially with every continuity reboot and stupid decision they pull (Doctor Octopus is Spider-Man now! Buy our book!)
I know there are indie books and I should probably try those instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom