• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tabi to Michizure 01-06

vzLgbLDl.jpg

This is pretty interesting. I really like the whole setting of a town that tries to eat you and where every day repeats over and over. Especially now they introduced the whole superpower parts, it was has a nice hook.

On the other hand, the lead girl was pretty insufferable at the start. Too whiny and give up-y for me but it does look like at she's starting to change.

Akito

They did that in FMA: Brotherhood too. It's kind of weird though. I really got the feeling that Brotherhood was very mechanical in its adaptation.
The FMA:B anime never "overtook" the manga, they ended at the same time. The anime team must have had access to Arakawa's manuscripts to produce the last episodes but that was obviously planned, not exactly what you would say about HxH.

Cwarrior

They did that in FMA: Brotherhood too. It's kind of weird though. I really got the feeling that Brotherhood was very mechanical in its adaptation.

It's a monthly manga I would imagine she already had fma finished and sitting at her desk, I would expect a weekly mangka to be at least have the next chapter finished at this desk before releasing this weeks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The FMA:B anime never "overtook" the manga, they ended at the same time. The anime team must have had access to Arakawa's manuscripts to produce the last episodes but that was obviously planned, not exactly what you would say about HxH.

Oh I remember it. I just was recollecting the fact that it wasn't entirely certain that FMA was going to end on some specific chapter, so they obviously needed to be inside Arakawa's head to be getting material.

Rurouni Kenshin - Restoration 8
tumblr_mj5x635rbX1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Yahiko's fight was the best one to be even if it had no special skills or whatever. Saito Hajime's skill was really incredible especially how he managed to untangle himself and win. Cant wait for Kenshin's next month.

Defuser

Food Smut
Goddamn, kicking ass and harem building at the same time. Thank you based tosh, now I feel like eating Don.

Tadakoro can continue to be useless moeblob mascot.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Food Smut
Goddamn, kicking ass and harem building at the same time. Thank you based tosh, now I feel like eating Don.

Tadakoro can continue to be useless moeblob mascot.

She's pretty much moeblob Tenten from Naruto SD

World Trigger 4

Really liking where its going. Osamu losing his arm already in just the first chapter was way intense and a bit shocking to see, though it was just his Trion body of sorts. Still a bit too close for comfort. Didnt think Trigger could be shared with others, though is Yuma special in that way? Oh well at least this is close to almost a tag team takedown by both of this Marmod. Loved Yuma final pose.

Sai

What's the deal with this new Kenshin? Loved the original, but I haven't really been paying attention to Restoration; backlog's huge.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What's the deal with this new Kenshin? Loved the original, but I haven't really been paying attention to Restoration; backlog's huge.

An accompaniment material for a new OVA, I *think*

Kenshin's massive popularity is a poison to Watsuki; his other work is shadowed greatly by it he almost look like he's just a one-hit wonder, too bad.

Nisekoi: False Love 64

Shu needs more screentime, hes hilarious especially around Raku. Rest of the chapter felt pointless and stuff. The girls didnt even look that much different in the shrine maiden outfits so I was baffled at what shu and even raku was seeing to get a nosebleed over...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
An accompaniment material for a new OVA, I *think*

Kenshin's massive popularity is a poison to Watsuki; his other work is shadowed greatly by it he almost look like he's just a one-hit wonder, too bad.

On the other hand it's got the sort of popularity most mangaka would probably kill for.

Azure J

So let me get this straight, I wait with a weird level of anticipation for just Shokugeki no Soma, forget when I go to class and come home KO'd from it all, check the thread and Shoma, Voynich Hotel, and Nozoki to Kimio all update?

Kickass.

Bright World Project 1-9

Starts off as just your average shitty rom com, but then unexpectedly evolves into some sort of smut version of Lair Game. Intersting!

It kind of feels like something the Future Dairy author would write.

This is like the second of a few recent new/newish manga that I actively look out for lately. Third is Seven Deadly Sins.

Berserk 1

So yeah, this is happening.

I still need to finish Jojo's, start Hiatus x Hiatus and then go for this one to say I have some old manga cred. Good luck though.

Kusagari

I didn't realize Akarui Sekai Keikaku had updated.

The Smutter Games 8-9

WUT?!

WUT?!

Chapter 9 of this was one of the most batshit insane things I've read in a while. And of course it ends with a missile randomly exploding to reveal it was housing an enormous girl with huge tits who hates men.

Yep.

Cross Manage 23

Darn leaving Wakamoto with no study partner, but that part of the plot went way fast, why the hurry to get to the finals? I wanted another game with Ryu or at least that part expanded, hes good to see.

BLue Exorcist 44

Decent chapter though I still dont know how I feel about the antagonistic entity being "illuminati" feels akways, though is Godain actually going to die.

One-Punch Man 7

Easily the second best chapter in wsj for today I guess. Way too many words for a manga but I did read it all, really tragic backstory Genos has and honestly feel for him. Kind of hope this story is explored a bit more and I want him to successful in his quest for justice and finding that cyborg. Perhaps the new antagonist guy could lend a hand, though I guess that would push off his goals further away. Saitama being his master feels odd, unless he can get whatever power boost Saitama has. Though I really dont want him defeating all and leaving Genos with nothing, I want more cool cyborg beam blasts and and cool panels and stuff, hes really amazing, oh or maybe they can combo attack and teamwork and such.

Pokemon Adventures Vol.15

UoSbsfwl.png

Bless you, Viz for releasing the Ruby and Sapphire arc.

Gotta say, I'm liking the intro to this arc. Ruby's pretty cool for being contest focus and Sapphire is pretty unique for a female lead. I do like the two different stories being told at once and how they are going back and forth between them. The chapters are also full of energy which makes it fun to read. Also, I will definitely like the fact that Viz is releasing them every other month too.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Great series though. Prime example of why I prefer print manga as well when I can get it - The art is almost always superior to the scans and the translations Dark Horse puts out are great. too bad about the out of print volumes :/
One of the scans is hilarious for the Guts vs Wylde fight though.

"Don't be popping a boner on my head."

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Pokemon Adventures Vol.15

UoSbsfwl.png

Bless you, Viz for releasing the Ruby and Sapphire arc.

Gotta say, I'm liking the intro to this arc. Ruby's pretty cool for being contest focus and Sapphire is pretty unique for a female lead. I do like the two different stories being told at once and how they are going back and forth between them. The chapters are also full of energy which makes it fun to read. Also, I will definitely like the fact that Viz is releasing them every other month too.

I'm still mindblown that main character actually wore white hat. I thought it was white hair that shaped weirdly WHOLE TIME.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Our tastes and opinions are usually so different, that both of us can't be wrong at the same time.

Time to accept the fact, that Assassination Classroom is mediocre at best.

Ahh, but we of the Praise Assassination Classroom Committee outnumbers you, and thus you are both wrong!

Hahaha.

Well, it's not really a masterpiece but I got one good laugh or two from it, so eh. The art is a bit rough though.

Kurita

I don't expect good art from a gag manga to be honest. Especially when the author was an assistant on Bobobo (which was hilarious).

Ahh, but we of the Praise Assassination Classroom Committee outnumbers you, and thus you are both wrong!

Hahaha.

Well, it's not really a masterpiece but I got one good laugh or two from it, so eh. The art is a bit rough though.

So you're saying you want to ... assassinate us?

Okay, sorry for that one.

Anyway, I explained my problems after reading chapter 1-8 and not much has changed since then.

Assassination Classroom 1-8

This is pretty boring so far. The premise is interesting, I guess and koro-sensei can be sort of funny, but seeing how low level the students are, it could take a while until it gets up to speed. Meeeeeh.

Since then it had some references or two funny panels where I cracked a smile and Koro's brother had a badass entrance. But that's it, really. I expected way more.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Assassination Classroom is just some light fun comedy. The art is kinda ass and there really is no story agency, but koro sensei is a pretty fun character.

Assassination Classroom is just some light fun comedy. The art is kinda ass and there really is no story agency, but koro sensei is a pretty fun character.

When someone posted the scene where Itona entered the classroom, I thought he was an average student of that class. :lol I didn't really know that they were ordinary high schoolers.

dumbyugi

Assassination Classroom is probably going to follow the same path that Neuro did, it'll start of with short 1-3 chapter stories that aren't too serious but will eventually start having longer, more serious arcs.

Assassination Classroom is probably going to follow the same path that Neuro did, it'll start of with short 1-3 chapter stories that aren't too serious but will eventually start having longer, more serious arcs.

It does look like the story is getting more serious and I hope the pointless school trip was the last time we got such a boring story. I just want the kids to get significant power ups. They're fairly useless so far.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It does look like the story is getting more serious and I hope the pointless school trip was the last time we got such a boring story. I just want the kids to get significant power ups. They're fairly useless so far.

All of them are ordinary school students so I doubt they will get anything beyond "power of cooperation and friendship."

Anyways, is there any manga that handles large-scale battle well? Been playing Fire Emblem Awakening and this got me thinking, aside from Ryuuroden it feels like I haven't seen any manga doing well or even dealing with large-scale battles with all the strategies and tactics and such.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

They are going against a creature who is essentially impossible to kill.

They seem more than capable against regular people.

I honestly do hope that the story develops faster soon though.

flawfuls

All of them are ordinary school students so I doubt they will get anything beyond "power of cooperation and friendship."

Anyways, is there any manga that handles large-scale battle well? Been playing Fire Emblem Awakening and this got me thinking, aside from Ryuuroden it feels like I haven't seen any manga doing well or even dealing with large-scale battles with all the strategies and tactics and such.

Bokko does them pretty well.

Reknoc

Then what's the point? Because as a gag manga it fails spectacularly. Grimmy was right, when he said that the genre shift is incoming.

Maybe but not any time soon, genre shifts are usually a sign of a failing manga which is clearly not the case with Assassination Classroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom