• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comedy is funny like that. I mean, Ricky Gervais still has a career, you can't explain that.

I guess Japanese kids just find AssClass really funny.

I don't see the comedy that explains the popularity and sales, but okay.

And the Ricky Gervais thing is weird. After watching a summary of him hosting the Golden Globes, I'm surprised he's still alive, to be honest.
I mean, seriously.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Vagabond 305

Water man...... It's deep. Btw Totally as I read that, makes for transcendence material hahaha.

All of them are ordinary school students so I doubt they will get anything beyond "power of cooperation and friendship."

Anyways, is there any manga that handles large-scale battle well? Been playing Fire Emblem Awakening and this got me thinking, aside from Ryuuroden it feels like I haven't seen any manga doing well or even dealing with large-scale battles with all the strategies and tactics and such.

Kingdom.

dumbyugi

One Piece - Punk Hazard

I had read up until Ceaser had just started to release the deadly gas. I already knew most of what was going to happen because of this thread but I don't really care about spoilers so it didn't effect my enjoyment of this arc. I'm just going to list what I believe are the positives and negatives of this arc instead of creating a long wordy post.

Positives
- All the villians not named Ceaser. I think Vergo would have made a better arc boss then Ceaser.
- Law. I really like his character and I love how he interacts with the strawhats.
- The fights. I liked all of the fights with Zoro's being my favourite.

Negatives
- Ceaser. He would have been better as a Spandam type character rather then the arcs big bad. He is easily the second worst arc boss, only beating Hody.
- I didn't really care for the children. I thought that part of the story was boring.
- Not everyone got a proper fight. Luffy, Zoro, Sanji and Franky are the only strawhats who got to properly fight someone who wasn't fodder.

Overall I liked this arc, but it wasn't great. A lot of what I enjoyed most about this arc doesn't have much to do with the story of the Punk Hazard itself but has more to do with the lead up to the next arc. 6/10

Noblesse

Yuri will die and I enjoyed watching Francky getting his ass kicked for once.

I want to see Rai get his ass kicked to show how weakened he has gotten. It´s great seeing Francky struggle in a fight for once. I want him to use his brilliant mind to destroy his opponent not just his brute strength. Rael will go a rape streak and kill all 3 of them. Yuri must die here to squeeze the 13th elders ambitions and to force him into action. I just hope he does not have 5-6 Yuri clones ready to take his place.

AC

When someone posted the scene where Itona entered the classroom, I thought he was an average student of that class. :lol I didn't really know that they were ordinary high schoolers.

You know, the premise is great but i really dislike his tsundere attitude. We all know he won´t blow up the earth, and he won´t die. What annoys me the most is the shitty student´s attitudes, except Karma (i read only until chapter 15). I mean seriously who the hell wants to learn and make an effort if the earth will blow up in a year. It bothers me that not one of them say fuck you and this class, and education. What good is it if you are going to blow up the earth? This is just a high school shonen with a twist and a shitty one at that. Not one of the students gave him an attitude until Karma came. It´s like they don´t know the priorities of the earth getting destroyed. They are quite chummy and love the Octopus. It does not make sense at all. And i am talking about the own AC´s universe and the fact that he will destroy the earth, and the students are just trying to study most of the time.

Maedhros

OP is awesome.

icpM8I7eCOzxf.gif

Except 90% of the time, it isn't. (I'm talking about the anime, btw)

Bossun

HSDK

The fight are getting more and more ridiculous....
Just go full hentai or full "normal battle" instead of letting piece of fabric hanging unrealistically in front of nipples and vajayjay..

Also, it's ridiculous how nobody ever bleed. I think their attacks are only useful against clothes.

dumbyugi

Noblesse

AC

You know, the premise is great but i really dislike his tsundere attitude. We all know he won´t blow up the earth, and he won´t die. What annoys me the most is the shitty student´s attitudes, except Karma (i read only until chapter 15). I mean seriously who the hell wants to learn and make an effort if the earth will blow up in a year. It bothers me that not one of them say fuck you and this class, and education. What good is it if you are going to blow up the earth? This is just a high school shonen with a twist and a shitty one at that. Not one of the students gave him an attitude until Karma came. It´s like they don´t know the priorities of the earth getting destroyed. They are quite chummy and love the Octopus. It does not make sense at all. And i am talking about the own AC´s universe and the fact that he will destroy the earth, and the students are just trying to study most of the time.

In the latest chapter the students all agree that they were not taking the killing seriously enough and are going to be doing extra training.

caesar

Banned
Berserk 1 (90 pages?!)

I'm actually jumping into this virtually blind on a whim. All I know is that there's a dude called Guts and at some point he goes to elf island or something.

EDIT: And done. I like this guy already.
You have no idea how much I envy you being able to jump into that manga blind. Ah, the good old days. I'm actually surprised a few of you haven't read it. The first 13 volumes of berserk... god damn they are classic.

Noblesse

Yuri will die and I enjoyed watching Francky getting his ass kicked for once.

I want to see Rai get his ass kicked to show how weakened he has gotten. It´s great seeing Francky struggle in a fight for once. I want him to use his brilliant mind to destroy his opponent not just his brute strength. Rael will go a rape streak and kill all 3 of them. Yuri must die here to squeeze the 13th elders ambitions and to force him into action. I just hope he does not have 5-6 Yuri clones ready to take his place.

AC

I think part of the point of the students is to at least escape the stigma of the e class ranking they are given. What other "attitude" would one expect them to have after, spare karma kun, they were all treated badly by their peers and school leaders, I think they had to overcome self confidence issues.

Why wouldnt they like Korosensei if he's given them attention, good education, trips to Hawaii etc.

Toriko Regal Mammoth Arc

Fire emblem awakening delayed this but honestly this was the first arc of Toriko I truly enjoyed. Terry, Rin, and Sani all add a lot to the cast complementing our leads and Coco. The gt robots were pretty intimidating and with the concept of gourmet cells being explained I can fully get into this fight series.

Akito

Let me rephrase :

And I had no problem with the rest of the manga.
Yes Grimace, I was ok with all the rest.

Well, I was making a joke, of course it's stupid to make Priscilla even more powerful than she already is, it's almost like Yagi is wanking to her. I don't really buy the more hatred = more power theory either, at least make this shit less blatant, it's just as bad as the friendship = power bullshit from FT.

fertygo

You have no idea how much I envy you being able to jump into that manga blind. Ah, the good old days. I'm actually surprised a few of you haven't read it. The first 20 or so volumes of berserk... god damn they are classic.

fixed

Goddamn, the scale of massiveness man.. its just sucking and overwhelming you.. its feel like you in demonic world.. after that its started slowing down, but vol 34 is epic.

Mael

Well, I was making a joke, of course it's stupid to make Priscilla even more powerful than she already is, it's almost like Yagi is wanking to her. I don't really buy the more hatred = more power theory either, at least make this shit less blatant, it's just as bad as the friendship = power bullshit from FT.

Exactly,
friendship = power in FT is the worst thing ever but this isn't far behind.
Really it's even more galling because I actually really like Claymore and Pris doesn't need that to be an insurmountable foe.
It's reached the level of BS.
Heck if they're fighting against God there's no other issue but death or deus ex machina.
And really only Togashi can be trusted to make that work.

aohige

Neo Member
Medaka Box

Alright. Spoiler got leaked, and here's the answer to everyone's question
Medaka Box.....
Lives to see another day. New Arc starting next chapter.

Akito

Exactly,
friendship = power in FT is the worst thing ever but this isn't far behind.
Really it's even more galling because I actually really like Claymore and Pris doesn't need that to be an insurmountable foe.
It's reached the level of BS.
Heck if they're fighting against God there's no other issue but death or deus ex machina.
And really only Togashi can be trusted to make that work.
Neo Riful who appeared out of nowhere and is able to fight toe to toe with Pris is already kinda a deus ex machina, if she wasn't there they'd all be dead already D:

Medaka Box

Alright. Spoiler got leaked, and here's the answer to everyone's question
Medaka Box.....
Lives to see another day. New Arc starting next chapter.
Ahahaha, never change Nisio, never change

fixed

Goddamn, the scale of massiveness man.. its just sucking and overwhelming you.. its feel like you in demonic world.. after that its started slowing down, but vol 34 is epic.

Yeah damn that would be nice to read fresh, I wonder when the first mention of the island is before they actually even show it.

Mael

Neo Riful who appeared out of nowhere and is able to fight toe to toe with Pris is already kinda a deus ex machina, if she wasn't there they'd all be dead already D:

Exactly, to think that I wouldn't even care about all this if HxH was back on track....
Even worse it came from nowhere and we have no idea where it even came from!
The Rose was a way better way to get rid of God tier foes, heck even the Gon's deus ex machina was with consequence (although I'm no fan of the resolution... as Illumi put it, it's unbeatable)!
GET TO WORK TOGASHI!

caesar

Banned
fixed

I haven't read it for a few years but I feel like reading the whole thing again, it's so gripping it doesn't take very long. After that I'll start Vagabond again from scratch because I remember hardly anything from that either...

Damn hiatus.

upandaway

It does look like the story is getting more serious and I hope the pointless school trip was the last time we got such a boring story. I just want the kids to get significant power ups. They're fairly useless so far.
Like was said before you could look at Neuro (or rather, Yako). It's likely the kids never get any clearly defined, shonen-like upgrades. At the very least, I doubt they'll get any upgrades that could help them assassinate him by any physical methods (i.e. any method tried so far). Which makes complete sense since he's so freaking fast.

If it's anything like Neuro, the only ones who could post a threat to Korosensei are those "at his level" like Itona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom