• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I don't have a problem with you not liking Kumagawa and Ajimu, but I don't know why you always act like people like them because they're broken and all powerful.

We like them because we find them entertaining. They entertain me more than any other character in Medaka Box and most of the time them being entertaining has nothing to do with what you bring up.

Well, I'd certainly hope no one likes those characters for that particular reason, but unfortunately some of the evidence suggests otherwise. But really, those are some of my reasons for disliking them, and I didn't intend to apply them to the rest of you.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ayo Envelope be keeping it real as fuck on the real. I swear if I read more manga like ya'll lames me and him would see eye to eye.

Anyway, since we're doing this for real.

Best Manga of The Big 3 (It's all I read): Bleach

This arc, so far, has made for one of the best Bleach years overall. We got reveals, fresh faces, an incredible fight, an incredible death, and the foundations have been set for a dope-ass ride going forward. With so many mysteries still remaining, Kubo seems set to give us the goods. The initial invasion was well done and the pacing is perfectly fine at this point. Fortunately, we've also gotten a balance of storytelling and fights so far, along with humor and seriousness.

High Points

-Yama vs Bach and it's great conclusion
-Unohana Kenpachi reveal
-Byakuya vs As Nodt fight
-This line alone: "My arrows are stronger than Uryu Ishida's? Impossible" - Opie
-Royal Guard & Spirit Palace...arrival
-AIZEN NAME DROPS ALL OVER THE PLACE

Low Points

-Byakuya vs As Nodt's outcome; waste a bunch of time giving Byakuya's death screentime then bringing him back
-Ichigo's "arrival" to the invasion; don't waste an entire chapter on this shit
-The very start with all that Yuki nonsense

Overall, I give Bleach's year a B. You thought you could get away from the grades? FUCK NAH.

Worst Manga of The Big 3: Naruto

Man, where can I start with this. See, people seem to think I just hate Naruto innately. Nope, my hate for Naruto's current state of shit is born out of love. Naruto (outside of DBZ & Sailor Moon, but those don't count) was the first anime I started watching and manga I started reading. As a young ass teenager, I loved it. And looking back on it, there was a good reason. Part 1 was awesome. But 2012 ain't about part 1. From the incredible stupid Kabuto flashback to the completely hollow Obito flashback, to the stupid Edo Tensei fights and the ineptitude of Sasuke during the Itachi teamup, everything about it has been incredibly disappointing. I only hope that things become crazy in the next year which will make for entertainment.

High Points

-Orochimaru's return
-Tobi's reveal (why? because we got it out of the way.)
-Hinata/Naruto

Low Points

-Bee becoming inevitable fodder
-The terrible uniting of Kyuubi and Naruto; that flashback with the sage talking to the mini Kyuubi and such was just plain awful.
-Sasuke doing absolutely nothing in his fight with Itachi; there was a lot riding on that, it was supposed to be epic. Instead, Naruto and Itachi's teamup was more important.
-All flashbacks involved
-The Tobi reveal, because Obito is the worst charater currently in this manga.

Overall, I give this year of Naruto a D+. There were moments, but the cons so outheavily weighed the pros.

Why One Piece gets neither award

One Piece is currently kind of just floating in the middle. One Piece, in my eyes, has never really been flat out bad. No, it hasn't dropped to those levels in quite a while. It's fine, whatever.

But that's the problem. For me, it's 'just fine' too much. It doesn't get high nor low, it gets 'high' every so often because of how fucking huge the world is.

Anyway, about this year. It was okay at best. It was predictable and boring. And both villains in each arc were annoying & uninspired. Still, as ALWAYS with One Piece, looking forward is exciting, the Law and Smoker appearances truly saved this arc for me. I also found that there were no incredible standout moments for any of the strawhats. Everything Luffy did was badass, but not surprising. I want more surprise out of Oda for the next year, and while I love that he has shown us minor parts of the New World, I really want the next arc to be epic. Doflamingo's presence is one of those things that will really get this ball rolling.

High Points

-Law vs Smoker...awesome fight
-Law teamup with Strawhats
-All of the Doflamingo scenes
-Knowing of the rest of the New World (Kidd, etc.)

Low Points

-Ceasar
-Nothing surprising out of any of the strawhats
-The "running around building A/B/C/D" was too dragged out.
-FI

Overall, I give this year of One Piece a C+.

-------

Best Fight Of The Year

Yama vs Bach

Best Reveal of The Year

Unohana Kenpachi

Best Teamup of The Year

Strawhat Pirates + Law

Best villain of The Year

Aizen. See: Infinite Justice's truth. Tied up and still styling.

it usually have less discussion about stuff like that anyway (Shonen is a nono unless your are cosmicblizzard LOL).

I haven't watched any anime for a long while so i've not being in that thread like before. Maybe one day when i get enough free time to knock out some eps

Nothing really much happen in the anime OP thread .
We do get a few new people that now watching and we have DTL posting gifs lol .
The anime being 1:1 really hurt it .

I've finally completed my list of manga I haven't read, but want to read:

7 Seeds
Hideout
Magi
Mardock Scramble
Medaka Box
Pluto
Rainbow
Ryuuroden

And the list of manga I have to catch up to:

Beelzebub
Fairy Tail
Hunter X Hunter
Kimi no Iru Machi (what? I need my rage!)
One Piece
Shaman King

I think I read too much shonen.

Best Manga of The Big 3 (It's all I read).

Dude you really need to fix this tbh. I'm not saying to go all out like flawfuls but check some other stuff out at least.

Glad to see someone else agrees with my Best Villian choice.

Nothing really much happen in the anime OP thread .
We do get a few new people that now watching and we have DTL lol .
the anime being 1:1 really hurt it .

From the few times i checked in i saw DTL trying to bring his game there LOL and actually i'm not really interested some of these anime since i read or i'm currently reading the manga version.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I would say you can read the novels if you want .

It suppose to be ending soon i think 3 or 4 more chapters .

While this is welcome news, it would've made more of a difference to my feelings towards the series if it happened a year or so ago. :(

Time to start marathoning the manga. I always thought the MC looked good but never had it in me to start another endless shoujo

Usui maxed out the bishie sliders during the character creation phase.

Ashodin

For Bleach in the new year, I just have one question.

What the fuck is happening with Ishida? Where is he? Godmode training?

For Bleach in the new year, I just have one question.

What the fuck is happening with Ishida? Where is he? Godmode training?

Just floating doing jackshit until Kubo is ready for him again?

the line Stat Flow Posted is the only thing keeping him relevant at the moment for me (more than the enemies being Quincy imo)

-This line alone: "My arrows are stronger than Uryu Ishida's? Impossible" - Opie

Okay hold off on reading Kaichou wa Maid-sama i swear i read it was going to end soon .
Now i can't find any thing about it WTF must be going crazy .

FMA is so high, its alright but it failed to ever reach its potential due to odd writing choices and what not. Probably wouldnt have it on any list, certainly much lower than one piece, and assassination classroom. Fortunately Fairy Tail received a commendation.
Honestly I probably put fairy tail too low. I really couldn't get into it til the jellal arc, since then it's gotten better and better

scy

I've more or less come to terms with the fact I enjoy Medaka Box for a completely different set of reasons than every one else.

My point was you said Kumagawa and then described a different character entirely. People like Kumagawa due to his antics. Though, I actually don't like him as much as the rest of GAF (all about Zenkichi for me).

Anshin'in, though, I do like. Her trolling is so good. Powers are irrelevant.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
7 Seeds 4-11
Getting even better. Through all the twists and turns I was thinking, man, this is really cool. Semimaru is becoming a fave of mine, but it might be due to his less antagonistic nature since his first appearance. Something tells me it won't last long though... Anyway, Hana is a great female character from what I've read. Strong-willed, confident, and knows how to take care of herself. Really liked
Yanagi's death too, even if he was a prick
It does get me thinking how I'd react to in their situation though...

Akito

The Molester Man live action movie was pretty much insufferable. All of the actors are even worse than your average Japanese actor, the worst being molester himself but that may be due to the movie's portrayal of him. He's pretty much a carbon copy of the Densha Otoko dude (the one in the dorama version, I'm not familiar with any other version of DO), so the picture book otaku type who cannot speak more than 3 words at a time even if his life depends on it. Manga molester is basically a god compared to this poor fuck. There's no smex, no Sachiko, no male waiter, no Aizen-sama and literally no tension at all at any time.
The only good part about this movie are the animated and talking 2ch ASCII arts I guess.
No, I didn't expect it to be any better.

Now that's out of the way, it's time for more of My Girl.

Scum

My old ass post from last year.

Scum on 27/11/2012 said:
What if the current "real" Miina is a clone... :O

My crazy idea goes a liitle something like this:-

Crazy old Grandad, in his early years is besotted with grandchild, who has a wild imagination and passion for extinct animals. She keeps 'em all drawn up in her little notebook.
Grandchild/heir passes away.
Grandad sulks, possibly because he's lost an heir.
Sulking Grandad with shitloads of money builds an artificial island/graveyard for granddaughter.
Sulking Grandad with shitloads of money orders company to delve into cloning research.
Grandad clones Granddaughter. Might explain why current Miina has amnesia...
Grandad then decides to clone animal drawings and dumps them on island/graveyard "for his little girl".
Cloned animals go 'Jurassic Park' on everyone's arse.
Crazy old Grandad uses his influence to make sure no one knows of island.

I'm still sticking by this. Can't wait for the last 3 chapters.

Who is that ?
even more irrelevant than Neji

You don't remember Tenten? The strong and independent goddess of weapons? She was pretty great in that one battle with that other enemy.

ebtCS.jpg

Qt8wC.jpg

She can have any man she wants. She even resisted Sasuke, when every other stupid woman was falling for him (more like failing, amirite?).

Kreed

Alright, who told the Pandas about the existence of Onepunch Man? Fucking watermarks and below preschool level English everywhere in this latest chapter. I guess that's one good thing about Molester Man being over, now Boon can pick this back up and fix this tragedy.

You don't remember Tenten? The strong and independent goddess of weapons? She was pretty great in that one battle with that other enemy.

She can have any man she wants. She even resisted Sasuke, when every other stupid woman was falling for him (more like failing, amirite?).

She lost to a fan. A fan.

That's cool and all but has she ever won a fight?

EArTH 21

In a last ditch effort to comprehend the plot, I'll wait for the last 7 chapters before picking this up again. It's probably not that complicated but all these breaks are making it hard to remember anything.

Matchstick Twenty 0

Scanning the prologue, I see a high school girl with a rifle and detonator storming an office building while yelling about being a terrorist. Added to backlog.

This is the most "A Huge Battleship"-est post ever oh my god

Your avatar SUPER fits you too, what is this
I choose to take that as a compliment, so thanks! I'll try to be A Huge Battleshippy in 2013 as well.

Not sure if you're asking where my avatar's from there, but if so check the top left of the image in the post you quoted.

Tonari no Onigo 01

Guy who can sense supernatural stuff meets an oni girl who wants to be a human. Looks funny enough to keep reading just from the first chapter.

Desmond

Manga of the Year: Silver Spoon

'nuff said. (Seeing as I only follow Naruto/Bleach/Beelzebub that's not a hard decision )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom