• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Alright, who told the Pandas about the existence of Onepunch Man? Fucking watermarks and below preschool level English everywhere in this latest chapter. I guess that's one good thing about Molester Man being over, now Boon can pick this back up and fix this tragedy.
At least the person that did Chapter 19 had some basic grasp of the English language. :(

Akito

My Girl ch.3-9
The rest of the first volume. Feels very much like Usagi Drop even though I'm but sure which came first. I never thought that there would be a more mature kid than Rin but it's almost scary how much grasp Koharu has of complicated themes like separation our even death. And she's just as cute. Masamune's a pretty cool dad too.

Best Series, Best Seinen, Best Story About a Loser Guy Nearing Thirty
Boys on the Run--It was already my favorite running series, and then with the latest release, it just went to another level. Has a feeling of gritty realness that I haven't found in anything else I've read this year. The plot goes where it pleases, but always lands somewhere interesting.

Second Best Seinen
Again!!--Reading this just makes me feel good. Takes story elements that could be cliched and stupid and makes them fresh and interesting. Has an adult, mature feel. Also, great character art.

Second Best Story About A Loser Guy Nearing Thirty, Best Harem
Moteki--An actually good harem. Shares a lot of good points with Again!!, which is by the same author.

Best Josei
Sakamichi no Apollon--Usually I don't think much of series set in the somewhat recent past because they do a poor job of capturing the feeling of that period and the sense of history progressing. Apollon actually does a very good job of getting that sixties feel. The ending
where you see them becoming adults and separating really got to me, even though things do end happily.

Best Shonen Fighty Battling Action Adventure Thing
One Piece--Things dragged at times, but it still had those epic moments that I only really get in One Piece. Not a category with a lot of strong competition.

Best Smut
Aunt Tits--Yeah, its a tease, but that sort of comes with the category. Reading Key Blade, a series where they do jump right into fucking, made me appreciate Aunt Tits slow progress more. Dragging things out is better for maintaining interest.

Best Series that Began this Year as well as Best Series that Ended this Year
Laughter at the End of the World--Came into this expecting it to be another never-ending shonen. I was surprised it only lasted 5 chapters, but after the fact I think that it's fine it was this short. It told a smaller-scale story and did it well. No need to drag things out just because you can.

Worst and More Worst
Naruto, Fairy Tail

flawfuls

Best New (in English) Manga of 2012

1) Alice in Hell
A new Jiro Matsumoto about a sniper and his robot Alice set in a postapocalypic world. Everyone is batshit crazy as usual.
LOlBL.jpg

2) Getenrou
I guess you would call this a sci-fi mystery series or something. Initially it seems like a collection of really funny short stories that don't have much to do with each other, but then there is a brilliant and insane (though not so funny) twist at the end that ties it all together.

3) Vita Arcana
Cool historical manga set in Rome. It has great action, a really well developed setting and fantastic art.

4) Tetsugaku Letra
Mizu Sahara does a shounen basketball manga, but it's pretty much the same as all her other manga (which is good!). Lots of bittersweet feelings involved.

5) Golondrina
Matadors, suicidal lesbians and angst angst angst. If you don't like melodrama stay far far away.

6) Mix
An Adachi baseball manga nuff said.

7) Jin
Doctor travels back in time and is forced to reinvent medical procedures.

8) Tomoshibi
A really cool and really varied short story collection.

9) The Wandering of Girls' Group No. 7
A sci-fi slice of life manga about a pair of girls. The world is pretty charming and each chapter has a quirky new piece of futuristic technology.

10) The Lady of Udon
Charming little romance manga

survivor

Banned
Second Best Seinen
Again!!--Reading this just makes me feel good. Takes story elements that could be cliched and stupid and makes them fresh and interesting. Has an adult, mature feel. Also, great character art.
I have never told you this before, but you are a fine bro, curlyfriski

did you make Again!! seinen just so you can give OP best shonen award? lol

1) Alice in Hell

2) Getenrou

3) Vita Arcana

4) Tetsugaku Letra

5) Golondrina

6) Mix

7) Jin

8) Tomoshibi

10) The Lady of Udon

bookmarked

there are lots of good stuff to keep an eye for but gotta wait for more chapters to be released first

Definitely giving some from Flawful's list a try.

And goddamnit I forgot about Binbougami Ga & Silver Spoon in my Top 10 list. Both are hilarious.

Not to mention Otoyomegatari. Then again I've loved Kaoru Mori's work since the equally amazing Emma. She's right beside Takehiko Inoue as one of the best manga artists today.

Mitsuru Adachi's works don't count. Those are always a must read.

Maedhros

1) Alice in Hell

2) Getenrou

3) Vita Arcana

4) Tetsugaku Letra

5) Golondrina

6) Mix

7) Jin

8) Tomoshibi

10) The Lady of Udon

Talk about a list of unknown mangas... man...

My list:

New Mangas picked this year:

One Punch Man
Molester Man
Magi
Assassination Classroom

Other manga list list:

Beelzebub
Toriko
Medaka Box
HSDK
TWGOK
The Breaker: New Waves

Worst mangas of this year:

Bleach, Fairy Tail

Surprisingly drop in quality:

One Piece

Meh Category List:

Naruto

Dissapoint ending list:

Bakuman

People that goes in ignore list list:

Envelope, DTL, Phoenix_viking

I'm sure I'm forget a lot of mangas.

TrueBlue

Yamada is fun but I wish the release schedule was better. If nothing else the translation is fun :lol

I somehow doubt the actual dialogue is so full of f-bombs, but it actually works out pretty well in the translation. Also like you said, I do find it to be a lot of fun, and even pretty clever in some respects.

Urara Shiraishi for waifu of the year.

J no Subete 12

Liked Paul and Andrew meeting up in the prison and discussiong their old days in school and how they all even J have no converged and met in the prison. The panels with J and the fear over having a child (having a child before the other two even, wow, surprising), were pretty creepy and such. Guess only a few chapters til its done.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

1) Alice in Hell
A new Jiro Matsumoto about a sniper and his robot Alice set in a postapocalypic world. Everyone is batshit crazy as usual.

2) Getenrou
I guess you would call this a sci-fi mystery series or something. Initially it seems like a collection of really funny short stories that don't have much to do with each other, but then there is a brilliant and insane (though not so funny) twist at the end that ties it all together.

3) Vita Arcana
Cool historical manga set in Rome. It has great action, a really well developed setting and fantastic art.

4) Tetsugaku Letra
Mizu Sahara does a shounen basketball manga, but it's pretty much the same as all her other manga (which is good!). Lots of bittersweet feeling involved.

5) Golondrina
Matadors, suicidal lesbians and angst angst angst. If you don't like melodrama stay far far away.

6) Mix
An Adachi baseball manga nuff said.

7) Jin
Doctor travels back in time and is forced to reinvent medical procedures.

8) Tomoshibi
A really cool and really varied short story collection.

A sci-fi slice of life manga about a pair of girls. The world is pretty charming and each chapter has a quirky new piece of futuristic technology.

10) The Lady of Udon
Charming little romance manga

Always liked your lists because of how varied they are. I think I'll definitely have to check out Jin, Genterou and the wandering girls.

Not sure if I can handle yet another Adachi baseball romance manga though.

5) Golondrina

Interesting list and i might check these out since i'm usually cool with your picks, plus new Jiro Matsumoto is a must read for me so thanks for the heads up.

and as for the manga pictured is the angst as much as that Bakuman styled manga where the characters seemed to wear it on their sleeve? LOL

Akito

My Girl v02
One should call this series manga where every character is nice and well thought out. Every flashback with Youko still manages to get me :(

survivor

Banned
Interesting list and i might check these out since i'm usually cool with your picks, plus new Jiro Matsumoto is a must read for me so thanks for the heads up.

and as for the manga pictured is the angst as much as that Bakuman styled manga where the characters seemed to wear it on their sleeve? LOL

There is a suicide attempt in the first 5 pages so it's very angsty

I'm still reading it, but given that it's by Est Em, I can't imagine it being as bad as Bakuman

edit: I'm stupid, I just realized you weren't talking about Bakuman but that other angsty manga about manga writers

Not sure if I can handle yet another Adachi baseball romance manga though.

I keep seeing Adachi's baseball romance mangas as one big scrawling epic story about people cursed to repeat the same mistakes as they are reincarnated time and time again to repent for some shit they did.

Adachi even acts as a one man Greek Chorus.

Antiwhippy

I'm still reading it, but given that it's by Est Em, I can't imagine it being as bad as Bakuman

Is it as angsty as say, subaru moon?

Probably the most angsty manga I can think of right now which I actually really enjoyed.

I wasn't referring to Bakuman though but that other manga with a similar premise. And it was G something heavens door i think.

hmm suicide attempt that early is a decent sign tbh.

survivor

Banned
I wasn't referring to Bakuman though but that other manga with a similar premise. And it was G something heavens door i think.

Yeah, my bad, I misread the your post

But you know, I'm sensing some great angsty potential from it
bVx4j.jpg

Probably the most angsty manga I can think of right now which I actually really enjoyed.
Haven't read Subaru Moon so I can't say, but I probably should read it.

flawfuls

Dunno never got that far into Bakuman.

Ohhh. Yeah it's like that. lol.

Yeah I would say the level and type of angst is very similar to that of Subaru.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, my bad, I misread the your post

But you know, I'm sensing some great angsty potential from it
bVx4j.jpg

Haven't read Subaru Moon so I can't say, but I probably should read it.

I don't think that's angsty as much as it is just straight up psychotic. :p I think I'll check it out though. Psychotic is fine with me.

Also you should read subaru moon. It is pretty good.

Yeah I would say the level and type of angst is very similar to that of Subaru.

I should check it out then.

Lain

3) Vita Arcana

The first volume was great, but I think that the gender bending stuff deserves a mention too, just to push those Dulce Report lovers to pick it up.

survivor

Banned
Golondrina 1-4

angst everywhere, I love it

seriously, the MC's main goal is to become a famous matador and then die in the ring just to show off how emotionally broken she was after getting dumped by her girlfriend Maria

The first volume was great, but I think that the gender bending stuff deserves a mention too, just to push those Dulce Report lovers to pick it up.
!!!!!!!

Today gonna be a good day

Molester Man end

Well, stuff happened I guess.

I guess this was just a case of my expectations being too high combined with my general dislike of this kind of stuff in the first place. I think what I found so appealing about Onani Master Kurosawa was how it started out as a simple parody and eventually turned into a story of redemption. I'm sure the shift in tone was one of the things that attracted me to it, but it just felt fresh overall.

Here, it just a lot of small talk combined with a Girl-age thread, something I always avoid. It's not something I find enjoyable and was outright tedious at multiple points. I guess that's expected for something based off of a true story, but it's still disappointing after the one-two combo of Mangaf jizzing over it and the emotional roller coaster that was Onani Master Kurosawa.

Oh well, can't love everything.

Best Series, Best Seinen, Best Story About a Loser Guy Nearing Thirty
Boys on the Run--It was already my favorite running series, and then with the latest release, it just went to another level. Has a feeling of gritty realness that I haven't found in anything else I've read this year. The plot goes where it pleases, but always lands somewhere interesting.

I read the 80 chapters that have been scanlated so far one day last week and I am really impressed. I haven't read any synopsis, only 3 recommendations on ManGAF and was surprised a lot by the narrative turns.

It is a very humane story and the best manga I read in 2012 (despite reading it only in the last week of the year).
I think I will write a lot more about it, probably when the rest has been scanlated, but I would totally recommend everyone to check this manga out.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Best of everything in 2012 for me: I am a Hero and, goddamnit read it people RYUURODEN.

Worst of everything in 2012 for me: hmmm, can't really decide on this one..... oh wait, no I can. Good Ending.

Mahoroba no Hibi 1 -2 (end)
tumblr_mfz60j0HNu1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Well thought this would be the typical friends growing up type story but I left
shattered and broken
. Liked the art and how focused and charming the story made itself with Tetsu trying to find someway or something to confess to Taka.

In the end, the final moments were really unforgettable.
mindblown at the whole revelation that Taka was actually his deceased cats spirit(?). It was just all sad causes hes dead and had so little time and Taka all crying and everything when he could feel his presence and that whole scene

Worse ending for me was Jackals, I mean of all the books, movies, animes, tv shows, plays, pretty much anything with and ending, This is the worse I have ever encountered its quite an achievement actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom