• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listing time? Guess Ill do some.

Top 10 Manga in 2012
1. Katekyo Hitman Reborn - Tsuna is overall probably my favorite Shonen protagonist, sometimes reminds me of me and I enjoy his friends, their support of him, and just overall the mix of it in the action. He grew substantially and the plot was quite good. Still miss it to this day. Miss my hyper trio, vongola primo, and the smokin bomb the most.

2. Haikyuu!! - Excellent cast and character designs and probably the best sports series available. Volleyball has never been so exciting, and though there arent special attacks or things of that nature, character interactions, teamwork, overcoming their weaknesses, and just really appealing characters make it enjoyable each chapter. Kageyama, Hinata, Tsuki, Kenma, best characters. Now if we can get a good tournmanet etc games this year.

3. Mousou Elektel - Love between best friends and good art, perfect story for that as well as how naive or perhaps new to things Shunpei is and how good of a best friend he is for Fumi. So many comedy moments and even emotional ones.

4. Super Lovers - Love between brothers, and an overprotective brother that bends protection into love and the younger one craving it and mixed with feelings about it. Good story following their lives and their other brothers. Ren is really good, and Haru too, really really memorable. Wish it'd get licensed.

5. Fairy Tail - Still the best shonen action series in the genre. Mashima knows exactly what we want in stories and ensures that we dont get disappointed. Sure he may get crazy on the fanservice at times, but at least theirs Gray Fullbuster to at least keep me interested. Natsu has the best attacks and gave the best friendship speech of the year in 2012 and the story has been its highest. Natsu's bring it panel with the flames on his hands making the outline and the dragonslayer v dragonslayer fight was probably its best moment ever.

6. Tegami Bachi Letter Bee Although Im not versed in the artes, I would put Tegami Bachi as having the best balance between art, character designs, and adventure. While other adventure series waste time on events and characters we dont care about tackling numerous and too many moments in a single chapter yielding an overall boring story and wasted potential, Letter Bee focused on a smaller set of events yet more intriguing entities, a deep and robust world, and wonderful good characters. Its one of the manga that Im so glad to buy each volume for and read swiftly as we go through those adventures of Lag Seeing, Gauche Suede, Jiggy Pepper, Zazie, Conner, and more in Ambergrounds to explore Reverse, the Man who couldn't become spirit, and the sun powering their lands. If one doesn't mind cry babies...then its really good and worth reading.

7. Konya mo Nemurenai - Hilarious and one of the manga I look forward to reading each month, who knew that a guy who uses a dating site would end up summoning a spirit with his private parts when cornered in some adult video film shot thing, and end up on a long quest to find love in perhaps friends, or even him, Endou.. Not to mention Endou, the one he summoned, is engaged to someone else whose out to get him back. Really funny and good and like where it goes.

8. Junketsu Drop - Rivals become lovers and the first time for both with a touch of jealousy in the plot, really good and memorable story for both and had really good art. Really like the art and the characters.

9. Star Like Words Sex loving main character that sleeps around alot but starts to fall in love with someone, really good and has good art cause JUNKO never makes anything bad, always a favorite.

10. Rutta to Kodama - Roommates become lovers and nearly opposites, tough guy and normal cute guy of sorts and a quest to understand each others feelings better through school years. Really was good and of good length three volumes, and had excellent art.

---
Best Cancelled Manga in 2012: Barrage & ST&RS

Best New Manga in WSJ in 2012: Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan / Hungry Joker

Best concluded Manga in 2012: Air Gear / Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Best Movie inspired from a manga dubbed: Berserk the Golden Age Arc: The Egg of the King / Bleach Movie 4: The Hell Verse
Best Anime Adaptation of a WSJ Manga in 2012: Kuroko's Basketball & Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Best Anime Adaptation of a Non-WSJ Manga in 2012: Zetsuen no Tempest
Best Character in an Anime Adaptation of WSJ Manga in 2012: Killua (hxh) & Bossun/Tsubaki (Sket Dance)
Best Character in an Anime Adaptation of a non WSJ manga in 2012: Mahiro Fuwa (ZnT)

Best Anime Spinoff of a Manga in 2012: Naruto SD (Rock Lee Seishun Full Power Ninden)

Best Incomplete Anime Adaptations of a Manga in 2012: Sket Dance (1) Bleach (2) Area no Kishi & New Prince of Tennis (HM)

Best Manga Adaptation of an Anime in 2012: Hyouka & Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle
Best Manga Spinoff of an Anime in 2012: K - Memory of Red & K - Stray Dog Story

Best Neglected Manga of 2012: Undertaker Riddle

Best New Character in 2012: Soma (Shokugeki-no Soma) & Haichi (Hungry Joker)

Best Manga Collaboration in 2012: Karakuridouji Ultimo via Stan Lee and Hiroyuki Takei

Best male character in a manga with >200 chps in 2012: Natsu Dragneel, Tsunayoshi Sawada (1), Hitsugaya and Yukio, and Toki Fujiwara, HM: Sasuke Uchiha
Best female character in a manga with >200chps in 2012:

Best Male Character in a monthly manga: Rin and Renzou (BLue Exorcist)
Best Female Character in a monthly manga:

Best male lead protagonist: Tsuna & Natsu
Best male secondary protagonist: Gray Fullbuster

Worst male character: Ceaser Clown (OP)
Worst female character: Sakura Haruno, Nami, Hinata, Sakurakouji Sakura, Medaka (medaka box), Chitanda (hyouka), and Tityko/Momiji (Binbougami ga!)

Best new manga in need of new chapters: Dictatorial Grimoire / Neon Dimension Ascension / Metamorcode

Best Art: Tegami Bachi
Best Purchased Manga: Loveless v 1 (color pages) / Neon Genesis Evangelion (3 in 1)

Best translated doujin: Bleach - Wilder than Heaven
Best Cover: Kuchizuke wa Niji no Ue de
tumblr_md3spoQhMM1ravyleo1_1280.jpg

Fixed the translation a little bit(SPOILERS):

"I asked Kansai and she accepted. I gently closed my eyes and bent down to reach her lips. I'm not that tall so I didn't have to bend that much LOL I pulled her close to me and held my hands on her back. Trying hard not to breathe on her, our lips get close. What if I stick to her like an octopus!? Our lips gently touch and Kansai pulls away to leave. But I don't let go of her. I am a predator! I pull her back and messily put my tongue in her mouth. Victory?

I struggled for a moment, then finally let out my breath and let my asshole unclench. All my emotions are getting wound up. She leaves for real this time. I showed the ability of the 2nd-ranked "cherry-stem-knot-tying-competitor"! I don't think I could tie knots right now, my tongue is paralyzed. It wasn't an erotic kiss, so instead of my dick getting hard my mind went blank. I was focused on her light breathing, I didn't know when to let go. How long did the kiss last? A minute? Breath, Molester! Don't hold your breath! I feel like I'm on the moon.

Some of the guys in this thread just posted a bunch of ASCII art at the beginning, and even towards the middle when people were helping out with summaries there were people that just said "lolololol". But to all the people who didn't say "tits or GTFO" or "cum on her tits!", thanks. Thank you."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What other confirmation do you need? A kiss? Come on, now. You're seriously telling me when you saw that panel the first thing that came to your mind was transfering of chakra?

Come on, son.

I'm a grown up. Holding hands isn't the same thing as affirming a life-bond.

Onepunch Man 20-21

Apparently I missed 20 when it came out. Funny to see Sonic end up being the bad guy Saitama needed. Guessing this will be a reoccurring gag?

21: Character dump!

upandaway

here you go upandaway, now I made it easier for you to know when the new chapter will be released

t1357005600z2.png
Funny story, I gave up staying up thanks to this (btw survivor you're a cool dude post more), put up an alarm clock to read it in the morning.
In the end I woke up to a phone call and a 12 hour shift, and here I am. The entire day I knew MM was waiting for me back at home and it was the worst thing :(

scy

Some of the guys in this thread just posted a bunch of ASCII art at the beginning, and even towards the middle when people were helping out with summaries there were people that just said "lolololol". But to all the people who didn't say "tits or GTFO" or "cum on her tits!", thanks. Thank you."

So I read this sentence way too fast when scrolling through and all I got out of it at first was "bunch of ASCII art" and "'tits or GTFO' or 'cum on her tits'" and it confused me. Confused me a lot.

Like, what kind of ASCII art is that.

Kusagari

Manga of the Year

One Piece
One Punch-Man
Baby Steps
Goodnight Punpun

Worst manga that ended this Year

Air Gear

Why is this manga still running of the Year

Tie between Kimi no Iru Machi and Gantz

Best manga by Kubo Tite of the Year

Bleach

Most FRESH manga of the Year

Medaka Box

Best smut manga that's not really smut of the Year

Aunt Tits

Worst character of the Year

Nisekoi+-+01+-+04.png

Molester Man

Yeah, it was a really good chapter to show his character development from someone who was trying to be a nice guy to get into somebody's pants to an actual nice guy.

spoilers for the hell of it

The part where
he ends the entire thing was profound since he officially placed their situation/feelings above himself and attempt to remove the root cause of all of this.

I told people last week it was over and yet some didn't believe me. NaruHina is canon.

i'll keep up with this thread to see if it really happens LOL (not reading that shit until that fucktard is out of the picture and/or the sauce appears to do whatever horseshit; or when its done).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why are people voting for One Piece? It's been just about the worst year for One Piece since it started.
Cause even at its worst One Piece is the greatest manga of all ti--pfffft ahahahahaha.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why are people voting for One Piece? It's been just about the worst year for One Piece since it started.

Because it violates an unspoken 2007-era agreement to say One Piece isn't the best thing ever

upandaway

Wait you guys are agreeing with him that this was the worst year for One Piece yet?

But this arc had some really neat moments..

Haly

Wait you guys are agreeing with him that this was the worst year for One Piece yet?

But this arc had some really neat moments..
Fishman Island was drawn out way too long and Punk Hazard had too much shit going on at once. Major supporting characters like Smoker and Tashigi were basically relegated to a side attraction, while a lot of screen time is wasted on mooks we'll never see again (giant kids, Brownbeard, Samuraifriend). The only redeeming part of this arc was seeing Law being a badass.

This is hasn't exactly been one of the better years of One Piece, and probably close to one of the worst. It had its moments, yeah, but a few good moments don't count for much when it comes to evaluating arcs as a whole.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Bleach has been great this year. From what I've seen, people seem to have enjoyed it the most out of the HST current arcs.

survivor

Banned
Basara vol 2-3
tMcu7.jpg
5ZiVs.jpg

Holy crap, Battle of Sakura Island was awesome. The sense of hopelessness throughout the battle was great. Sure, the way they got themselves out of it might be an asspull, but I liked it. Even though I'm still not sure how Zaki and Sarasa were able to operate most of the cannons to take on the entire fleet. There was more backstory into Shuri's past to make him more sympathetic and to show the other side of the prophecy, but I still don't like the guy.

I talked about how the manga was able to jump from shoujo hijinks into epic fantasy in a decent manner, but I really hope the hot bath scenes get better. It's really jarring to see a "your breasts are small" joke in a manga like this.

Glad to see that others have finally accepted One Piece's mediocrity.

Fixed the translation a little bit(SPOILERS):

"I asked Kansai and she accepted. I gently closed my eyes and bent down to reach her lips. I'm not that tall so I didn't have to bend that much LOL I pulled her close to me and held my hands on her back. Trying hard not to breathe on her, our lips get close. What if I stick to her like an octopus!? Our lips gently touch and Kansai pulls away to leave. But I don't let go of her. I am a predator! I pull her back and messily put my tongue in her mouth. Victory?

I struggled for a moment, then finally let out my breath and let my asshole unclench. All my emotions are getting wound up. She leaves for real this time. I showed the ability of the 2nd-ranked "cherry-stem-knot-tying-competitor"! I don't think I could tie knots right now, my tongue is paralyzed. It wasn't an erotic kiss, so instead of my dick getting hard my mind went blank. I was focused on her light breathing, I didn't know when to let go. How long did the kiss last? A minute? Breath, Molester! Don't hold your breath! I feel like I'm on the moon.

Thank you very much for this. Do you still think it was a hoax by some 2ch guy?

I don't think Beam's talking from a particular source.

Wait. Phoenix Viking is Beam? Oh no, I remember Beam.

upandaway

Fishman Island was drawn out way too long and Punk Hazard had too much shit going on at once. Major supporting characters like Smoker and Tashigi were basically relegated to a side attraction, while a lot of screen time is wasted on mooks we'll never see again (giant kids, Brownbeard, Samuraifriend). The only redeeming part of this arc was seeing Law being a badass.

This is hasn't exactly been one of the better years of One Piece, and probably close to one of the worst. It had its moments, yeah, but a few good moments don't count for much when it comes to evaluating arcs as a whole.
I already know my attitude towards "wasting screentime" is different from yours so that's cool, and I'll agree with you that there have been plenty of better years, but I thought it was at least universally more liked than 2011 or the first few years. Oh well.

Best Manga of 2012

Only considering stuff I read for the first time in 2012 here:

Screaming Lessons / Sakuranbo Syndrome / Torikago Gakkyuu / Getenrou
Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime / Necromancer / Aphorism / Nowhere Boy
Gokukoku no Brynhildr / Anne Freaks / Shitsurakuen / Nozomi x Kimio

Best Ongoing Series - Screaming Lessons
Best Finished Series - Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime
Best Oneshot - Haikyo Shoujo
Worst Series - Yakuza Girl

Best MC - Yomi / Yumi (Screaming Lessons)
Best Waifu - Dr Angela (Eighth)
Best Husbando - Neoriceisgood (lol)
Worst Character - Lunajena (Tsuki Tsuki)
This is the most "A Huge Battleship"-est post ever oh my god

Your avatar SUPER fits you too, what is this

Big One

Banned
It still miles better than Bleach or Naruto. One Piece's only problem is slow pacing while there are still fundamental problems with the entirety of Bleach and Naruto that haven't been fixed yet. And despite Bleach picking up decently fairly recently it was still an awful year just for the fact that most of the year was spent on the Fullbring arc.

But none of these manga should ever be "Best Manga of the Year" or whatever award people give them. The quality standards should be a fairly higher than that. Maybe if you're talking about what is the best SJ manga currently running.

Most Improved of the big 3

Bleach - mainly due to finally giving us info (fights were bleh, though it was cool to see the old man fighting and his bankai)

Least Improved of the big 3

One Piece - Fishman Island was so and so, Punk Hazard is alright but the stars are the crew's new techniques, characters from the new world stirring up shit and MOTHERFUCKING LAW.

Biggest Dissapointment

Naruto - I've actually dropped it until further notice

Worst Villain

Tobi/Obito - what a fucktard. Dude has no compelling reason for doing what he's doing so i just dont give a flying fuck.

Best Villain

Aizen - dude just made a fucking cameo and still styling on fools. BRING BACK AIZEN KUBO!!

Newest Addition

Magi - after being on the tongues of many posters in this thread i decided to check it out and it made a good impression. I will have to get back to it though

Best Suprise

Molester Man - with a name like that i expected garbage pretty much but it was pretty damn good. Hopefully the name wont shy away people since its much more than that.

Best manga to see MangaGAF rage

KNIM/Good Ending/Nisekoi - LOLOLOLOLOLOL, especially the "best girl" teams

Manga i didn't read/update

One Punch Man - waiting for more chapters
Attack on Titan - more chapters, more time
TWGOK - Got really busy and forgot about it
Mysterious Girlfriend X - time and a bit of aversion due to percieved shark jumping.
Others i'm forgetting i'm sure

Manga to check out in 2013

7 Seeds
Humanity has Declined (maybe the anime...maybe)
The list from above if possible

MCD

Medaka Box Abnormal Final episode was full of fuck yet soooooo gooooood.

But I hated the lack of Shiranui trolling and the dumb shonen direction it took. Honestly, the only good episode was the last one.

Time to read the manga for my trolling needs.

Manga of the Year

One Piece

Werent we in fishman Island this year? That arc was pretty annoying to read and while Punk Hazard has had key characters appear (Traffy), the arcs writing was pretty poor at times and felt quite unfocused as Oda consistently had chapters taking place in three different places at once. After awhile the arc was just quite ungood that I imagine most people basically skipped text bubbles and such, like in Fishman Island, and only looked at panels that had Luffy or the other two members in the powerful trio doing stuff and destroying stuff and moved on. I think Oda has shown in 2012 that fame has got to his head and he's just riding on it and just keeping the quality of his manga really low which enabled for numerous times for other manga in the same mangazine to have much better moments than it. I do not think there was even any notable reveal in One Piece in 2012 that would compare with the reveals that Kishimoto and Kubo made this past year, and easily, the newer manga were just way more exciting and interesting than One Piece.

I hope this year that he seriously considers rewriting whatever plan he has in store for One Piece this year and makes it more focused and more surprising and less predictable and dull. Perhaps answer much needed questions, bring back key players, and make key revelations instead of wasting time in random dull island xyz.

Haly

MangaPanda proves once again that they're barely literate.

Best manga of 2012

Bleach

I thought Bleach had started off on an odd note with the war, it was just hard for it to reach and probably rise to the level of the Arrancar Saga and Aizen. Probably worst yet it feels like its going to fast with really condensed fights except for perhaps the big one. A few baffling moments it had with Ichigo somehow being not strong in war part 1 even which didnt make much sense, but character bankai and revelations redeem it. Don't think Id have it as a best.

Happy New Year MANGAF, at this was my first year really getting back into manga I can't really give much of an opinion on how things were vs last year, so I'll just rank all the series I've read from best to worst.

1. One Piece
2. Magi
3. Aunt's Tits
4. Full Metal Alchemist
5. Laughter In The End Of The World
6. Bleach
7. Assassination Classroom
8. Fairy Tail
9. Naruto
10. One Punch Man
14. 14

Time to marathon Molester Man, will reflect ratings when I finish

FMA is so high, its alright but it failed to ever reach its potential due to odd writing choices and what not. Probably wouldnt have it on any list, certainly much lower than one piece, and assassination classroom. Fortunately Fairy Tail received a commendation.

Kusagari

Trolling or not, you're being disingenuous. Bleach is actually making an effort to be competent this year.

I already think Bleach has gone incredibly back down hill since Ichigo's Quincy heritage was revealed.

The beginning of the Blood War Arc was amazing, though.

Wiseblade

Would Molester Man being a hoax make reading it less enjoyable?

Would it negate the time we came together as a group?

Would it take away these feels?

I say... Nay!

Popstar

Time to do avatars again!

Almost done with the ones I remember people
requesting, so if anyone wants one, now's your chance.

(chances are if you didn't send me a note, I forgot.)
I rarely post in this thread so it won't help your takeover, but Morgiana could use some love.

Kurita

Best mangas I've read this year
1. REAL
2. Good Night Punpun
3. One Punch-Man
4. Space Brothers
5. I Am a Hero
6. Shingeki No Kyojin
7. One Piece
8. Bakuman
9. Haikyuu!!
10. Assassination Classroom
10.5 Nisekoi
10.75. Magi

Mangas I though were decent before dropping them realising they were crap
Reborn
Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches
Sensei No Bulge

scy

Would Molester Man being a hoax make reading it less enjoyable?

Would it negate the time we came together as a group?

Would it take away these feels?

I say... Nay!

I still believe!

Makes it more heartwarming that way.

Mangas I though were decent before dropping them realising they were crap
Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches

You just hate fun and witches and waifus.

Angry Grimace

I already think Bleach has gone incredibly back down hill since Ichigo's Quincy heritage was revealed.

The beginning of the Blood War Arc was amazing, though.

You guys flip out over everything Bleach/Naruto related. They do the same thing pretty much constantly and then people act like something new happened that has never happened before

I still believe!

You just hate fun and witches and waifus.

Shiraishi almost cracked my waifus list

Angry Grimace

I wish someone would translate Baby Steps faster. This shit is fucking glacial.

upandaway

I still believe!

My heart is so warm right now. If warm had a definition in degrees it would be straight up it, to .xxx precision, it's that warm

If I had marathoned MM I bet I would have a severe case of the "post-marathon feels" right now. Last time I had it in a bad case was either Toradora or Madoka, I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom