• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

I'm like 99% sure KuwabaraTheMan reads the manga and is up to date with it.

I'm still stuck somewhere in the 400s.
I think you can just skip ahead to close to 800 since there aren't a lot that happens that cannot be read in synopsis or so. Well if you are happy to read through everything, then go for it, but I thought lot of the mysteries were quite rubbish around 500 or so.

gunbo13

I heard about Dresden as well (*pours 40*) but i was refering this post for gunbo
Man down on the smutgaf count. When will we be full strength again?

And yes...the second part is true. I went to an island for the past two weeks to train my mangaf skills. I had difficulty defeating the 4 sages but just resorted to cheap tricks to break through. The sage of ninja editing was especially challenging.

survivor

Banned
Usagi Drop vol 5

Ok so I guess there is a timeskip. Seemed random and came out of nowhere but there are some flashbacks so I guess the parenting theme is still there

Usagi Drop vol 6

Ok, so I guess the manga is about Rin and Kouki and their relationship and troubles during high school. Not bad.

I really don't understand the conversation between Kouki's mom and Daikichi at the end of the volume. Why aren't they getting together?

Usagi Drop vol 7

The confrontation went differently than I expected. I certainly didn't think she will be pregnant since she still seems to be too busy with manga.

Usagi Drop vol 8

Hmmmm

Usagi Drop vol 9 END

XxMgt.gif

No wait, wrong link

fbIxr.gif

What the fuck Japan? Jesus Christ, these last few pages were stuff of the nightmare.

Sai

Pleases me to see that the reactions to Usagi Drop's ending are pretty consistent.

There's still hope left for this world.

scy

Detective Conan Chapter 812 - 814

OK, I think the series is going somewhere. With Subarua and Sera knowing that Conan is Shiniji might accelerate things further. I winder what Sera meant by ''I have been a naughty kid''? I don't think she meant it in a pervy way. Also, What was the thread Subaru was holding when Ran and co barge in teh bathroom like that.

I am quite excited now, anyone else read it?

I'm a little behind (~10 chapters) but I'm just glad that it's picking up again.

What the fuck Japan? Jesus Christ, these last few pages were stuff of the nightmare.

Congratulations!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Pleases me to see that the reactions to Usagi Drop's ending are pretty consistent.

Hey, I like it :)

Though I understand how many would be put off by it.

It's interesting if you think the ending as more of Daichi's unwillingness to move away from a familiar comfort than his actual willingness to conform to Rin's feelings.

Oh and LOL at DTL's avatar.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Usagi Drop vol 5

Ok so I guess there is a timeskip. Seemed random and came out of nowhere but there are some flashbacks so I guess the parenting theme is still there

Usagi Drop vol 6

Ok, so I guess the manga is about Rin and Kouki and their relationship and troubles during high school. Not bad.

I really don't understand the conversation between Kouki's mom and Daikichi at the end of the volume. Why aren't they getting together?

Usagi Drop vol 7

The confrontation went differently than I expected. I certainly didn't think she will be pregnant since she still seems to be too busy with manga.

Usagi Drop vol 8

Hmmmm

Usagi Drop vol 9 END

XxMgt.gif

No wait, wrong link

fbIxr.gif

I lol'd

Nah, there are still plenty of people that like it a lot. I actually loved the ending and what it did for the series in retrospect.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nah, there are still plenty of people that like it a lot. I actually loved the ending and what it did for the series in retrospect.
I have no clue how anyone could actually like that. It was just ugggggggggggggggh

survivor

Banned
Usagi Drop

The problem with the ending ignoring the obvious is that it doesn't make sense and compared to all the other stuff that should have happened in the manga, it's even dumber

So Rin doesn't want to end up with Kouki cause he is like a brother to her? Hey that seems fine, but wait a minute, she wants to go after her father figure...

And speaking of Daikichi, what exactly stopped him from moving in with Kouki's mom? Oh, something along the lines of her not wanting Kouki to cause troubles to Rin? But the damn kid is at their house everyday, it doesn't make sense to think of that. And then later, she rejects Daikichi for whatever reason and goes on about having Daikichi always watching over her or something dumb like this

And then there is that dumb revelation at the end about Rin's real father. As if removing the blood relation makes any difference. Cousins get married all the time in several cultures. Just because they are not related by blood, it doesn't make their relationship any dumber.

And I'm somehow still creeped out by Daikichi. He still thinks of Rin as his daughter, yet he wants to advance their relationship? And have a kid with her? What the fuck dude? You are supposed to be the wise rational guy.

I also like to say, I didn't mind the whole Rin will stay with Daikichi thing forever. The girl got some genes from her mom and goes only after older guys or she has some complex thingy. Hey, no problem, she will get older and realize how dumb she is. But then the whole thing about getting married and Daikichi accepting the situation? Fuck that shit

neoanarch

Usagi Drop is a badly written end. Its a betrayal to the established expectation of the characters. Its never properly explained why Rin is in love with Daichi or why Daichi would accept such a fucked up scenario so easily. He's never seen struggling with the idea. Not only that but surely someone around them would raise an objection. It doesn't fit the tone of the previous 9 volumes of story. The ending is a shock but it isn't played for the shock value. Which as author intent would have been acceptable in my opinion. She attempts to write it with the same detached whimsy of earlier chapters but it just doesn't fit the story anymore.

Usagi Drop vol 5

Usagi Drop vol 6

Usagi Drop vol 7

Usagi Drop vol 8

Hmmmm

Usagi Drop vol 9 END

XxMgt.gif

No wait, wrong link

fbIxr.gif

Usagi Drop

The problem with the ending ignoring the obvious is that it doesn't make sense and compared to all the other stuff that should have happened in the manga, it's even dumber

So Rin doesn't want to end up with Kouki cause he is like a brother to her? Hey that seems fine, but wait a minute, she wants to go after her father figure...

And speaking of Daikichi, what exactly stopped him from moving in with Kouki's mom? Oh, something along the lines of her not wanting Kouki to cause troubles to Rin? But the damn kid is at their house everyday, it doesn't make sense to think of that. And then later, she rejects Daikichi for whatever reason and goes on about having Daikichi always watching over her or something dumb like this

And then there is that dumb revelation at the end about Rin's real father. As if removing the blood relation makes any difference. Cousins get married all the time in several cultures. Just because they are not related by blood, it doesn't make their relationship any dumber.

And I'm somehow still creeped out by Daikichi. He still thinks of Rin as his daughter, yet he wants to advance their relationship? And have a kid with her? What the fuck dude? You are supposed to be the wise rational guy.

I also like to say, I didn't mind the whole Rin will stay with Daikichi thing forever. The girl got some genes from her mom and goes only after older guys or she has some complex thingy. Hey, no problem, she will get older and realize how dumb she is. But then the whole thing about getting married and Daikichi accepting the situation? Fuck that shit

YES, YES

cartmanbittertears.jpg

Usagi Drop
is a badly written end. Its a betrayal to the established expectation of the characters. Its never properly explained why Rin is in love with Daichi or why Daichi would accept such a fucked up scenario so easily. He's never seen struggling with the idea. Not only that but surely someone around them would raise an objection. It doesn't fit the tone of the previous 9 volumes of story. The ending is a shock but it isn't played for the shock value. Which as author intent would have been acceptable in my opinion. She attempts to write it with the same detached whimsy of earlier chapters but it just doesn't fit the story anymore.

But, but they are not related so it makes perfect sense....LOL

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My memory might fail me, but I *think* this is the first time my opinion about something is at odds with the majority of you guys.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Hahaha.

flawfuls

Intel Senpai

I think this is about some sort of bizarre Intel android. I'm not really sure, but there is an ahoge copter so I'm sold.

SwxB0.png

I have no clue how anyone could actually like that. It was just ugggggggggggggggh

Because seeing it as a more than a "child raising" series but rather a "life" series makes it easier to understand why it ended the way it did. Yeah, it didn't go in the direction everyone wanted it to and had a controversial as fuck ending, but it was still rather well done and legitimately bittersweet.

Angry Grimace

Because seeing it as a more than a "child raising" series but rather a "life" series makes it easier to understand why it ended the way it did. Yeah, it didn't go in the direction everyone wanted it to and had a controversial as fuck ending, but it was still rather well done and legitimately bittersweet.

In either case you don't like, marry your daughter. The context didn't make it any better. It wasn't that it was just "not the ending everyone wanted," it was that it was pretty much squicky without any reason to be there. I just think it was a series of character derails, really.

Zekes!

I always saw copies of Usagi Drop in my local comic shop and thought about reading it for some time.

survivor's reaction's to the ending has got me curious now

In either case you don't like, marry your daughter. The context didn't make it any better. It wasn't that it was just "not the ending everyone wanted," it was that it was pretty much squicky without any reason to be there. I just think it was a series of character derails, really.

Life is a series of character derails.

And besides, Rin falling in love with Daikichi actually isn't as bad as it seems because it adheres to the Westermarck effect. It would have been a lot creepier if she was adopted earlier, but the way it is, it's actually genius.

And the reason I like the ending is precisely because of Daikichi's reaction. My interpretation is that he still only loves Rin in a platonic way, but staying with her gives him a sense of security. By desperately holding onto that sense of security, he's willing to ignore societal pressures like the stigma attached with having a relationship with the person you raised. Like I said, bittersweet.

Angry Grimace

Life is a series of character derails.

And besides, Rin falling in love with Daikichi actually isn't as bad as it seems because it adheres to the Westermarck effect. It would have been a lot creepier if she was adopted earlier, but the way it is, it's actually genius.

And the reason I like the ending is precisely because of Daikichi's reaction. My interpretation is that he still only loves Rin in a platonic way, but staying with her gives him a sense of security. By desperately holding onto that sense of security, he's willing to ignore societal pressures like the stigma attached with having a relationship with the person you raised. Like I said, bittersweet.
That doesn't make it better, it makes both parties quite literally insane people.

survivor

Banned
qRbW6.png

I have my doubts that anyone knows THAT feel bro

No really, I really wonder what people in threads who aren't already familiar with DTL being DTL think of his recent avatar trends. :lol:
I wonder why no meltdowns have happened already. Considering how pony gifs makes some members rage, DTL avatar would give them a heart attack

I always saw copies of Usagi Drop in my local comic shop and thought about reading it for some time.

survivor's reaction's to the ending has got me curious now
Definitely read it. Ending aside, it was a solid manga.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, like I said, bittersweet.

Bittersweet is one thing, but ending the series in a way that everyone is insane is a pretty epic alteration of what the series seemed to be about. And its only even just insanity as opposed to a series of incredibly improbable character derails if we interpret it the way you did, which I don't think most people did.

I think most people wrote it off as poorly conceived writing. It's just...not right, really.

I wonder why no meltdowns have happened already. Considering how pony gifs makes some members rage, DTL avatar would give them a heart attack

Definitely read it. Ending aside, it was a solid manga.
My guess is that for the most part, people just assume it's a Naruto/anime avatar and aren't really noticing the other party is Sasuke. It's pretty funny to me, but I bet Ignis would be raging right now.

Bittersweet is one thing, but ending the series in a way that everyone is insane is a pretty epic derail. And its only even just insanity as opposed to a series of incredibly improbable character derails if we interpret it the way you did, which I don't think most people did.

I was kind of joking with that bittersweet post just now. I don't think having certain insecurities or wishing for a certain lifestyle makes someone insane. Willing to do something that conflicts with what society thinks is "proper" to achieve that lifestyle isn't terrible provided it's legal.

And I honestly can't see it any other way.
Daikichi clearly wasn't thrilled about Rin's confession and ended up thinking more about change rather than whether he loves her or not. I think it's a combination of wanting to make her happy and not wanting her to leave the nest, thus making himself happy.
Of course I can't say I'm 100% right until the author says something about it, but I'm pretty convinced.

Averon

The anime got me interested in Usagi Drop. It ended around the same time the manga did, if I'm not mistaken. So just as I was about to start the manga, the shit storm about its ending erupted; I couldn't help but spoil myself. I glad I did. Saved me a lot of potential rage and wtf?! reactions. It was around that same time I dropped KNIM, too. My tolerance for BS was quite low during that time, as I'm sure many who suffered (or is still suffering) reading that drek can understand.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Yes, that is better, hahaha.

Quite a few people in fact.

It's interesting. Reading it is like an enjoyable crash course to Japanese folklore.

If you guys didn't mention it I wouldn't have even noticed he had a new one.

It is just one of those things in this thread that I notice rather automatically considering how.... different.... his avatars are.

Pretty much. It's actually rather funny.

Yep :) All things considered DTL is actually pretty harmless, but only if you don't consider his antics seriously.

~Just take it in a stride~

MAGI

Is it just me or the artwork for the latest chapters is a bit... I don't know... downgraded than usual?

Aphorism

So yeah, Yama is a douche. Nice to have the entire school back as the main enemy. Might have been nice to keep Tomonaga around though. Don't know why the guy didn't storm right into Yama's office after getting his ability.

Kusagari

Toriko up to chapter 140:

The series gets way better after Tommyrod shows up. Damn he was a creepy ass villain. He was like a more screwed up version of Freeza.

And then it gets even better with Zebra. That man is a badass.

I still have 40, I think, chapters to read, but I'm curious to see what happens when Toriko goes back into the Gourmet World. I was surprised by how bad he got manhandled when he went in initially.

upandaway

Man down on the smutgaf count. When will we be full strength again?

And yes...the second part is true. I went to an island for the past two weeks to train my mangaf skills. I had difficulty defeating the 4 sages but just resorted to cheap tricks to break through. The sage of ninja editing was especially challenging.
Ninja editing is small time, it's all about retconning now

Does anybody here read Nurarihyon no Mago?
I'm gonna give it until E3 before I jump in again. I started to let it build up around ch190.

Yumekui Merry

Yumeji breakdown and bounce back in the same chapter. Even when nothing of importance happens, gotta love the facial expressions and enthusiasm.

upandaway

Anagle Mole

Haha daaamn. That destroyed him.

Glad we got the copy ability over with this early. I would have been disappointed if it was the final boss ability AGAIN.

Karate

Even if Mutou wins this one, how will be do anything on the next fight? He's in pieces.

Nononono

:lol guy just doesn't catch a break.

To begin with everyone's reasons for wanting to win are silly. Nono is already beating everyone, how can she not be scouted already?

Ippo

Wait, what.

Vinland Saga

He really took a big bite there. Holy shit.

I really want her to leave him but with this mood she'll cut the rope. Maybe Thorfinn can stay out of this mess though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom