• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You are a terrible person but you have piqued my interest.

Tell me already!
When you go to certain disreputable websites, you still get pop-up ads and non-targeted banner ads. There's one that's been going around for months claiming you could learn any language in a week or some bullshit. It's only funny because it has a picture of some guy that looks like it was taken in the 1920s in it.

No way. I enjoyed it in its entirety.

The first half is very different from the second, but they're both good.

I honestly thought that it went downhill when the girl started to blackmail him. I stopped enjoy reading it at the blackmail moment until the end. Did you not think the quality of the manga dipped because of the blackmail?

When you go to certain disreputable websites, you still get pop-up ads and non-targeted banner ads. There's one that's been going around for months claiming you could learn any language in a week or some bullshit. It's only funny because it has a picture of some guy that looks like it was taken in the 1920s in it.

This wasn't even half as exciting as I expected it to be.

<3

Lain

The Innocent
f9d44b633a2c886e6429c54f4fb655e5852ecab6.jpeg

Overall it wasn't bad, but it lacked some needed details imho. It also suffered from a lack of originality when it came to characters names. I mean, the protagonist is called Ash J. Light and is some sort of ghost that uses ashes to create stuff. The evil boss that framed Ash and sent him on the electric chair is called Frame Burns. A crazy killer is called Whirl. I don't know, something about those names feels just wrong.

duckroll

Silver Spoon - Chapter 5-10

Finally done with the Spring arc. I really like this now. One thing which I found really notable about this series is how unique each chapter is. Instead of trying to find ways of doing the same thing over and over, Arakawa instead shows how diverse and varied the Agriculture world can be. There's always something new to talk about, and something new to learn. Using the pizza story as a way to bring all the characters together and show the growth that the lead character has experienced since the first chapter is a really nice touch, and shows that she's still a master storyteller even in a totally different genre.

Tegami Bachi
i was interested since the art wasn't shit like most manga but the the art isn't good enough for me to read this boring ass story.

survivor

Banned
Sukimasuki vol 1 End

LqfcY.png

Through his hobby, which is exploring (peeping?) through the spaces in-between, Heisaku-kun ends up falling in love with his neighbor, Fumio-chan. However, it turns out that Fumio-chan has also been spying on Heisaku-kun all this time. Will this uncontrollable pair's hidden love ever be realized?

Well this was an interesting read. The peeping aspect was very unique and it's pretty funny how both of them were spying on each other. Heisaku's hobby is still weird and I honestly can't understand his fascination with the spaces in-between. Even the author had to talk about it saying it was a very hard idea to sell to publishers and she didn't even think she can get the manga published. Also, throughout the entire manga, I felt that the art style was very familiar and it turned out it's by the same author of Usagi Drop, Yumi Unita

Their final confrontation was very well done even though the build up to it wasn't that exciting. Also I felt like Hana's feelings towards Fumio needed more expanding instead of just dedicating one chapter to it.

That shows that you understand that the business model is flawed, and that it only exists the way it does because it is a measure companies have become comfortable with as a means to make the most money out of a smaller user base. That is precisely why the model is broken.

I don't think you'll find any argument from me that there is a good reason why it is this way. Everything you mentioned, I am aware of. That doesn't mean it is a healthy model or one which is good for consumers or fans. It is bad for pretty much everyone involved, but it happens to be stable enough in this smaller bubble to continue to make enough money for the industry to just continue existing.

But the point is that if there is a complete upheaval of how the anime industry works, it CAN be better. Sure the entire industry could also fail and cease to exist, and that risk is why none of the major players are particularly interested in changing how it works.

My opinion when it comes to improving the health of the industry is not just to lower the price. I'm simply stating that the price of TV anime is the main barrier of entry for consumers. It is the factor that affects consumers who are interested into getting into buying anime the most. This is why it is a tiny market compared to everything else.

In order to be able to make money off anime and to also sell it at reasonable prices, it would require a complete rethink of how the business works. The reason why they have to pay to get most anime on air is because the majority of TV anime airs at ungodly hours with poor ratings and no ad value whatsoever. So unless sponsors agree to pay for that ad time that the show will air in, stations are less willing to bother co-producing the show. The reason for this is also directly because of the small market that anime has carved out for itself.

This is far from the ideal situation, hence the business model even though it works for getting a return on investment, is broken. If anime had a totally different appeal, and is seen a mainstream and normal industry like manga where anyone who is interested can watch stuff at reasonable hours, and if they want to buy the DVD/BDs they are not sold in ridiculous ways which only hardcore fans would accept, then it would also be more attractive to air anime with normal advertising, and for stations to co-produce anime series without having ridiculous pre-conditions .

That's all I'm saying. I don't think it will happen, and I do think it is very unrealistic that it will change anytime soon, but I definitely don't think it is a normal thing to look at the industry and say that the business model is not broken, because it is.

I can understand where you are coming from still they are trying in some ways to make things better .
Streaming stuff along with other ideas but your right knowing Japan they going to take forever to change there business model and until then they will have to live off the hardcore.

Since this is the manga thread we can talk about problems that affecting the manga industry .
The overall sales have been going down for a while , more and more people don't want to buy a magazine for 1 series so they just buy Vols instead .
Which brings up the problem of introducing people to new series without a tied in .
Then there also self-publishing which going to have a big affect later on in the manga industry .

just read the first 2 chapters, hasn't grabbed me at all man.

and i don't really care for this 'heart' stuff.

Try a few more chapters but the main char is young and cries allot and the heart stuff is a main part of the manga .
It's on of those manga that suppose to make you feel all fuzzy in side.

upandaway

Toriko

"Oh yeah, I forgot about 2 things-" *shut off* :lol

Never change Zebra. His pet is, like, scarier than all 4 beasts combined. Geez.

Medaka Box

I figured death was a non-issue (was it EVER an issue in this manga?), but the seal is a problem.

Also not sure if it was intentional or not, but I love Anshin'in's "both live and dead are equal to me" pun. It's so perfect it had to be on purpose.

Thud

Well maybe it isn't meant for you. Tegami Bachi has a lot pages for a simple adventure shounen. It's a very touching story actually. However two chapters don't proof anything to me. After the two first chapters naruto got very boring, sorry that's a joke.

Well maybe it isn't meant for you. Tegami Bachi has a lot pages for a simple adventure shounen. It's a very touching story actually. However two chapters don't proof anything to me. After the two first chapters naruto got very boring, sorry that's a joke.
sorry bro, if manga can't hook me after the first couple chapters I pretty much drop it.

Perhaps when Noir and Reverse comes in, but I guess that would require sitting for quite a few chapters, though I was hooked from the first volume

Truth is i watch the anime first .
I watch first season then check out the manga heard it was getting a second season so i stop reading
Watch the second season they change stuff at the end so i pick the manga back up from there and just stop reading after a while.
That happens allot to me .

Takuan

Blech

Could it be the return of hollow Ichigo? Something was going on in that cage before the baddie turned his attention to Boobs McGee. Who else could possibly command that much power?

Blech

Could it be the return of hollow Ichigo? Something was going on in that cage before the baddie turned his attention to Boobs McGee. Who else could possibly command that much power?

Grimmjow and the return of Hichigo all in one chapter?! Are you trying to bring about one of the greatest chapters to ever be imagined by Kubo?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Big 3

A whole lot of nothing this week.

My assumption is that the Sasuke thing is designed to lead into a Tobi identity reveal, like Orochimaru is going to go off and explain how he already knew his identity bla bla bla

Takuan

Grimmjow and the return of Hichigo all in one chapter?! Are you trying to bring about one of the greatest chapters to ever be imagined by Kubo?

It'd be great if Grimm came back, but how the heck would he have gained all that power so quickly? Assuming he didn't die after his fight with Ichigo, wouldn't he have been reincarnated as a worm or something and have had to fight his way back over time to return to his arrancar form?

scy

Sukimasuki vol 1 End

It's a strange story but it was enjoyable. I remember not liking the ending since it just sort of ... finished. Like, it felt like I was missing pages.

Medaka Box

I figured death was a non-issue (was it EVER an issue in this manga?), but the seal is a problem.

This is like Zenkichi's third brush with death, though the first one that looks quite so dire.

...then again, All-Fiction and Anshin'in.

Edit: On that note, I guess her flashbacks of Zenkichi were from her putting him through the Flask Plan? I guess she taught him how to cook as well, eh?

duckroll

Since this is the manga thread we can talk about problems that affecting the manga industry .
The overall sales have been going down for a while , more and more people don't want to buy a magazine for 1 series so they just buy Vols instead .
Which brings up the problem of introducing people to new series without a tied in .
Then there also self-publishing which going to have a big affect later on in the manga industry .

I'm not really familiar with the situation here, since I don't know anything about magazine sales. I'll love to hear more detailed thoughts on stuff like this, since I've always wondered why people buy weekly or monthly manga magazines myself. Even over a decade ago, when I was following a lot of CLAMP series, I would buy the volumes and just read the chapters which were in the magazines without buying them. I loved the shit out of X, but I wasn't going to buy Asuka every month just for a chapter of that, since the other manga serialized in it had no interest to me.

I agree that to introduce new manga with good potential to audiences, anime tie-ups are almost required these days though. Silver Spoon seems to be a very unusual case which totally bucks the trend, but otherwise having a good anime running at a decent time slot has done wonders for a lot of manga. FMA got a huge boost from the initial anime back then, and even Brotherhood gave the manga a boost in sales even though it was already so popular. Blue Exorcist got a huge boost too, and Space Brothers is getting a decent boost from the current anime. It'll be interesting to see how Magi does post-anime as well.

I'm not familiar with self-publishing for manga in Japan at all. In fact, I'm not aware it's even a thing. Would love to read more about this as well. Aside from the doujin industry, I have the impression that indie publishing just doesn't have the strength to really compete with having a strong publishing partner. How's it going to work?

Angry Grimace

It'd be great if Grimm came back, but how the heck would he have gained all that power so quickly? Assuming he didn't die after his fight with Ichigo, wouldn't he have been reincarnated as a worm or something and have had to fight his way back over time to return to his arrancar form?

Saiyan blood.

survivor

Banned
It's a strange story but it was enjoyable. I remember not liking the ending since it just sort of ... finished. Like, it felt like I was missing pages.
Yep, it wasn't very conclusive. So she went to study abroad and we are supposed to believe they will start dating when she comes back? I guess a proper epilogue chapter would have been a better way to end the manga.

Takuan

You're right. It's shounen manga, I really shouldn't be asking these sorts of questions. I'm looking forward to the reveal.

upandaway

Edit: On that note, I guess her flashbacks of Zenkichi were from her putting him through the Flask Plan? I guess she taught him how to cook as well, eh?
You can't be perfect if you can't cook. See every perfect male character ever, they're all great cooks. Case in point:

v0QbR.png

Beelzebub

Pretty hyped for the painting lol.

Medaka Box

"I am so happy I can die now!" Oh Zenkichi.

Jojo Part 7 CH 1 - 29

I am still mindfucked by Part 6 ending.

I guess this a parallel universe. The setting is pretty exciting.

The Jojo of this one starts pretty weak but is getting stronger. Gyro is awesome.

And lol at Dio stand ability.

Thud

Jojo Part 7 CH 1 - 29

The Jojo of this one starts pretty weak but is getting stronger. Gyro is awesome.

And lol at Dio stand ability.

You're almost catching up to me, hrmpft.

But yeah gyro, dio and johnny are pretty awesome.

upandaway

Jojo Part 7 CH 1 - 29

Though it's still not confirmed that SBR is the result of Part 6's ending (it still isn't, right?), it's kinda hard to believe it isn't. So I'd like to think SBR is still a direct sequel to Part 6.

Harem Logic.

Harem Illogic indeed. Or can I somehow blame Stockholm Syndrome, with how he's the only male most of them have ever known? Either way, it's quite stupid... though of course, as if Nagasarete Airantou ever was anything else? I enjoy it despite its stupidity, pretty much. I mean, for instance, the fact that Ikouto still gets a nosebleed every single time he sees a naked girl, after 121 chapters of seeing them naked in almost every chapter (slight exaggeration there, but not by too much; he's the one who cares about such things, not any of them), probably, is so ridiculously impossible that I don't think I need to say any more... yes, he'd be used to it by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom