• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Yep, it wasn't very conclusive. So she went to study abroad and we are supposed to believe they will start dating when she comes back? I guess a proper epilogue chapter would have been a better way to end the manga.

That's my take, what with Heisaku's comment about "longing for days to grow long again" having replaced his normal infatuation. Instead of looking for the spaces in between he's looking forward to Fumio's return.

You can't be perfect if you can't cook. See every perfect male character ever, they're all great cooks. Case in point:

I'm a pretty good cook! Hooray! Step 1 Complete!

Harem Illogic indeed. Or can I somehow blame Stockholm Syndrome, with how he's the only male most of them have ever known? Either way, it's quite stupid... though of course, as if Nagasarete Airantou ever was anything else? I enjoy it despite its stupidity, pretty much. I mean, for instance, the fact that Ikouto still gets a nosebleed every single time he sees a naked girl, after 121 chapters of seeing them naked in almost every chapter (slight exaggeration there, but not by too much; he's the one who cares about such things, not any of them), probably, is so ridiculously impossible that I don't think I need to say any more... yes, he'd be used to it by now.

Running gag is a running gag, I suppose. I'm kind of curious as to what his wish was in its entirety, though. Could be on the way to a resolution for this.

...Maybe.

...doubtful.

Thud

Though it's still not confirmed that SBR is the result of Part 6's ending (it still isn't, right?), it's kinda hard to believe it isn't. So I'd like to think SBR is still a direct sequel to Part 6.

It's not. Steelball run is way before Stone Ocean. It would rather be a prequel than a sequel. But then who's johnny in the joestar line? Johnny does not exist in the I-VI joestar line or has no influence on any other JoJo. Then again who is Dio? Clearly not the same one.

So it is certain SBR is in a different timeline. That has to be a consequence of Stone Ocean, right?

survivor

Banned
Annarasumanara vol 3

r4gH0.jpg

Whoa, did this manga just pull a Punpun on me?

Great final volume. Wrapped up everything very nicely. I just love how they kept teasing whether the magician is a real one. Even after the reveals about the disappearing act he pulled and how he just faked it, I still somehow believed he can pull real magic and then came his final disappearing act. Could probably be a stage trick but who cares.

There was come very interesting themes presented in the manga. From R's rejection of the adult life, Ai's rejection of her childish life and wanting to become an adult very fast, to the rich kid's struggle against all the pressure his family is putting on him. The romance wasn't really explored that much and that's fine since this isn't primarily a romance manga.

--

Started looking around for other manhwa to read and I came across Song of the Cloud. Any opinions on it? It has a great cover and I heard some good things about it.
ZUtRO.png

It's not. Steelball run is way before Stone Ocean. It would rather be a prequel than a sequel. But then who's johnny in the joestar line? Johnny does not exist in the I-VI joestar line or has no influence on any other JoJo. Then again who is Dio? Clearly not the same one.

So it is certain SBR is in a different timeline. That has to be a consequence of Stone Ocean, right?

Thats what it seems like.

I'm not really familiar with the situation here, since I don't know anything about magazine sales. I'll love to hear more detailed thoughts on stuff like this, since I've always wondered why people buy weekly or monthly manga magazines myself. Even over a decade ago, when I was following a lot of CLAMP series, I would buy the volumes and just read the chapters which were in the magazines without buying them. I loved the shit out of X, but I wasn't going to buy Asuka every month just for a chapter of that, since the other manga serialized in it had no interest to me.

I agree that to introduce new manga with good potential to audiences, anime tie-ups are almost required these days though. Silver Spoon seems to be a very unusual case which totally bucks the trend, but otherwise having a good anime running at a decent time slot has done wonders for a lot of manga. FMA got a huge boost from the initial anime back then, and even Brotherhood gave the manga a boost in sales even though it was already so popular. Blue Exorcist got a huge boost too, and Space Brothers is getting a decent boost from the current anime. It'll be interesting to see how Magi does post-anime as well.

I'm not familiar with self-publishing for manga in Japan at all. In fact, I'm not aware it's even a thing. Would love to read more about this as well. Aside from the doujin industry, I have the impression that indie publishing just doesn't have the strength to really compete with having a strong publishing partner. How's it going to work?

This is really good read when it comes to manga and what happen over the years don't know if you read it yet .
http://2chan.us/wordpress/2011/04/18/discussion-translation-kentaro-takekuma-x-ken-akamatsu-part-2/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-in-japan-decline-for-fifth-consecutive-year
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-23/2011-comic-sales-totaled-271.71-billion-yen-in-japan
If not for OP the last 2 to 3 years would have had a even bigger drop .

Trying to find some self-publishing link but can't seem to .

upandaway

It's not. (1) Steelball run is way before Stone Ocean. It would rather be a prequel than a sequel. (2) But then who's johnny in the joestar line? Johnny does not exist in the I-VI joestar line or has no influence on any other JoJo. Then again who is Dio? Clearly not the same one.

(3) So it is certain SBR is in a different timeline. That has to be a consequence of Stone Ocean, right?
1. SBR is after SO (several infinites of years after SO) in this theory, you yourself explain why it can't be before. It's either after or not connected to it at all
2. Johnny isn't directly related to SO's JoJos but is a reincarnation of them
3. What I'm saying is that SBR is most likely in the same timeline as SO (a different universe, but one exists in the same timeline as SO, as a result of SO's ending)

I'm really bad at explaining myself, but basically I mean SO's ending fast forwarded time and then SBR happened. Basically.

Again it's not confirmed (pure speculation), so it's possible SO ended that Jojo universe/timeline and Araki just started an alternate one with SBR. But then that's not really as fun.

fertygo

1. SBR is after SO (several infinites of years after SO) in this theory, you yourself explain why it can't be before. It's either after or not connected to it at all
3. What I'm saying is that SBR is most likely in the same timeline as SO (a different universe, but one exists in the same timeline as SO, as a result of SO's ending)

I'm really bad at explaining myself, but basically I mean SO's ending fast forwarded time and then SBR happened. Basically.

Again it's not confirmed (pure speculation), so it's possible SO ended that Jojo universe/timeline and Araki just started an alternate one with SBR. But then that's not really as fun.

Yeah I'm thinking at this way too, at least its more fun this way.. not too mention its seem Jojolion also following this pattern.

Thud

Again it's not confirmed (pure speculation), so it's possible SO ended that Jojo universe and Araki just started an alternate one with SBR. But then that's not really as fun.

Yes, but the fast forwarding goes back in time in a new timeline. Read the ending again. And back in the past when using a horse was slowly replaced with the train is the setting of SBR. SO ended the orginal JoJo series and created a new set. Maybe I'm praising Araki too much, but he's the kinda mangaka who can turn the whole manga upside down and still make it seem logical. His stands are never the same and keep on evolving, I guess he just wanted to do something else.

Although SBR is one part of JoJo, it's clearly different. Speculation or not, even the synopsis says it's in a different timeline. I can't say for sure if it's on the back of the cover, but if it is then it has to be approved by the mangaka and editor, right?

You can still think anything of SBR, however it is in a timeline caused by SO different from SO itself. Jojolion is probably the same.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I honestly thought that it went downhill when the girl started to blackmail him. I stopped enjoy reading it at the blackmail moment until the end. Did you not think the quality of the manga dipped because of the blackmail?

Not really. The direction the story went
when he confessed his crimes
really surprised me. And I loved the
happy ending

This is really interesting, thanks. I think I've read portions of this series some time back, but I never read the entire thing.

When it comes to that discussion the thought of manga turning into American comics scare the fuck out of me .
Still don't have to worry about that for a good long while.

I would also love to get info on how Kodansha is different from Shueisha with the way how they do things.

PK Gaming

The Big 3 is now the Big 4! At least for me, now that i've added Medaka Box :)

Naruto

Just because I said Naruto was my favorite manga, and wasn't really that bad of a manga when I first joined this site (hell I said i'd join the Naruto defence force) doesn't mean i'm a bad person. Really, i'm kind of- aww who am I kidding, i'm a joke. With that out of the way, this weeks chapter sucked ass.

An asspull to rule all asspules; how the fuck did Sasuke bring out Orochimaru from the heaven seal on anko? His current body is sealed away in Itachi's Susanoo... he's as a good as dead, so why the fuck did Kishi bring him back?!?! This arc was pretty much Kabuto's time to shine, one of Naruto's themes (lol) was to always have the new generation surpass the old, even on the villain side. Just as Naruto is the 4th & Jiraiya's successor, Kabuto was Orochimaru's closest successor (Sasuke became his own thing.). Well the bets off, Kishi sidelined Kabuto and brought back Orochimaru like that. Magic. And don't even get me started on Sasuke. Fuck Sasuke. I feel that this journey will be a huge detour and giant waste of time. This chapter sucked ass.

Bleach

Boring Bleach stuff. Ichigo's trapped. Rukia's probably never going to get Bankai (I doubt that Tite kubo is even creative enough to do that... hell the last bankai that was introduced was Soi-foin. I'm surprised Urahara didn't finish off that quincy commander... not man enough to swing with QUINCIES?

One Piece

Hmm. This was a good chapter, but the fact the Oda is going on ANOTHER break, slightly makes me like this chapter a little less. Regardless, One Piece is One Piece, I don't need to explain why this chapter was good (though I was disappointed that we didn't get to see Luffy & friends converse. Maybe next time.)

Medaka Box

I will now post my single favorite panel in the entire manga.

0mfO7.jpg

Thud

@upandaway

I'm not ruining your fantasy, we're probably saying the same things but don't reach eachother or something like that.

Anyway I have to continue Onani Master now.

upandaway

Yes, but the fast forwarding goes back in time in a new timeline. Read the ending again. And back in the past when using a horse was slowly replaced with the train is the setting of SBR. SO ended the orginal JoJo series and created a new set
Are we talking about the same thing here? On the point of the universe being cyclical, I'm taking the different cycles as happening one after another while you're taking them to happen at the same time in a different timeline. It's the same thing. The thing about being "the past" with horses and trains doesn't mean that point in cycle B couldn't be considered "after" a point with cars in cycle A.

Okay I get it now.

retcon: thud we are now buddies

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
We'll probably find out in JoJoLion if the SBR-JoJoLion Universe is truly connected to the ending of Stone Ocean, because...

upandaway said:
What I'm saying is that SBR is most likely in the same timeline as SO (a different universe, but one exists in the same timeline as SO, as a result of SO's ending)

SO Ending Spoilers
The alternate universe where Emporio ends up at around the end of Stone Ocean is around the same time (2011-2012) as JoJoLion takes place...thus it's possible we might actually see him in JoJoLion at some point

Azure J

Medaka Box

Holy shiiiiiiit. :(

At the same time, I feel like Zen gets "damsel in distressed" far too often in this series. :lol

Also, what was I supposed to see in that Ajimu sequence? She's trying to play off being upset about Zen's fate by focusing on her own?

Kusagari

Medaka Box

Holy shiiiiiiit. :(

At the same time, I feel like Zen gets "damsel in distressed" far too often in this series. :lol

Also, what was I supposed to see in that Ajimu sequence? She's trying to play off being upset about Zen's fate by focusing on her own?

Ajimu tried to act like she always does, saying that she doesn't care about anything. But quickly realized just how much she would care if Zen was gone forever.

You just witnessed the process of someone being added to Zenkichi's harem

She's already offered him a harem ending before. If anything this means she'll now want him for herself!

Finally caught up with the latest Zenkichi Box chapter NOOOOO :(

*goes to manga spreadsheet*

I'm not the only one who keeps a spreadsheet, right? Then again, I keep spreadsheets for almost everything.

Onani Master Kurosawa

He really came through in the end.

10/10

Was it a happy ending?

flawfuls

I agree that to introduce new manga with good potential to audiences, anime tie-ups are almost required these days though. Silver Spoon seems to be a very unusual case which totally bucks the trend, but otherwise having a good anime running at a decent time slot has done wonders for a lot of manga. FMA got a huge boost from the initial anime back then, and even Brotherhood gave the manga a boost in sales even though it was already so popular. Blue Exorcist got a huge boost too, and Space Brothers is getting a decent boost from the current anime. It'll be interesting to see how Magi does post-anime as well.

Not really. A lot of the biggest recent hits don't have anime/became huge before they got anime. Thermae Romae actually followed a similar path to Silver Spoon. When it first came out it was a very minor manga that didn't chart anywhere (I think I read somewhere that it sold <10,000), but then it won the Taisho award (same one that Silver Spoon won) and now the first volume has sold more than a million. Shingeki no Kyojin exploded really quickly. I believe Shouta mentioned that it got a lot of publicity on variety shows or something. Saints Young Men also got huge fast, but I have no idea why. March Come Like a Lion sold really well out of the gate off of Umino Chika star power.

Of course the anime route certainly works (see: Ao no Exorcist, Fairy Tail, KnT), but it isn't the only way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom