• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, you guys have it good. The only thing of note I saw yesterday at our B&N equivalent was a complete Akira collection in German. ~$150 total though.

duckroll

Not really. A lot of the biggest recent hits don't have anime/became huge before they got anime. Thermae Romae actually followed a similar path to Silver Spoon. When it first came out it was a very minor manga that didn't chart anywhere (I think I read somewhere that it sold <10,000), but then it won the Taisho award (same one that Silver Spoon won) and now the first volume has sold more than a million. Shingeki no Kyojin exploded really quickly. I believe Shouta mentioned that it got a lot of publicity on variety shows or something. Saints Young Men also got huge fast, but I have no idea why. March Come Like a Lion sold really well out of the gate off of Umino Chika star power.

Of course the anime route certainly works (see: Ao no Exorcist, Fairy Tail, KnT), but it isn't the only way.

Yes, you're right of course. I made a generalization based on how an anime tie-up is needed to raise awareness for new manga which tend to struggle in a crowded genre. I should probably have said "new shounen action manga" for example, instead of just casting a wider net which was incorrect. My observation (which is far from perfect) is that anime tie-ups help give a lot of awareness and identity to such titles, which would otherwise be totally lost in the sea of other more established and popular works which also look similar at a glance. Even Soul Eater got a decent boost to >200k after the anime, although the anime itself totally bombed.

Yes, you're right of course. I made a generalization based on how an anime tie-up is needed to raise awareness for new manga which tend to struggle in a crowded genre. I should probably have said "new shounen action manga" for example, instead of just casting a wider net which was incorrect. My observation (which is far from perfect) is that anime tie-ups help give a lot of awareness and identity to such titles, which would otherwise be totally lost in the sea of other more established and popular works which also look similar at a glance. Even Soul Eater got a decent boost to >200k after the anime, although the anime itself totally bombed.

Shingeki no Kyojin is a shounen action manga.

I feel sorry for anyone who paid that much money for something as boring as the Akira manga. :(

I wanted to look up manga prices for US releases to compare them with ours (they're about the same) and just noticed this:

Ph1RE.png
ZqGcp.png

oh wow

an action manga that you should totally read, duckroll.

Running gag is a running gag, I suppose. I'm kind of curious as to what his wish was in its entirety, though. Could be on the way to a resolution for this.

...Maybe.

...doubtful.

Yeah, I'm sure it won't be a way to a resolution, but I am interested to know what his wish is too. I'm also wondering whose that spirit is... there are a few questions here to answer, even if given the series I don't expect a resolution anytime soon.

... On a related note, there's a new chapter of Cafe Detective Club out. That is, the newer manga from the Nagasarete Airantou guy. It's a decently good series, maybe better than NA, and I like that this arc finally had a mystery in it...

Cafe Detective Club 24

And with this chapter, the mystery arc ends.
Emina and one of the cast members did it! What a twist... The club gets it wrong, but does finish in second. Not bad.
Solid chapter. I did have to reread the previous chapter to remember what was going on, but that's fine. I particularly like the last page, it's a reference to that bit earlier in the series where they all say how they wouldn't mind being on a desert island... (no, no reference at all there to Nagasarete Airantou... :p)

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Anyone read The Drops of God? I dropped most of the manga I was reading a while ago, but this series is so damn good.

Dresden

man i haven't followed that one in a while...

Stuff like Kyojin and Thermae Romae got the kind of publicity that most manga will never get, though. Anime tie-ins provide the same kind of boost winning an award or becoming somewhat infamous on the public circuit would. I'd guess that it's still the most reliable predictor of success, assuming a lack of famous author or the familiarity of a sequel.

Articalys

I like how the Bleach chapter 1 title page has to promote the series as "by the author of ZOMBIEPOWDER".

I think I remember reading the first two or so chapters of that in the US version of Shonen Jump a long time ago.

likeGdid

I Am A Hero
p7qQx.jpg

Just marathoned all the way through to the latest volume. Very enjoyable, and by enjoyable I mean, suspenseful as fuck. The very kind of feeling of dread that I enjoy from Shingeki no Kyojin, and pretty well paced. I'm finding it difficult to find more good horror manga

upandaway

I like MAL better. It lets me keep track of both anime and manga on one account.
What. I cannot imagine someone with any amount of ongoing manga not maintaining an MU list. It freaking tells you whenever anything comes out for any of the series including a link, it's crazy. It's like there's no point in using a tracking site that can't do that.

Both MU and MAL seem way too excessive for my purposes and I already check about 10 times a day if new chapters of my series are out. I think I'll keep using my spreadsheets.
Second what. Checking 10 times a day is fine but why scan huge lists or multiple sites when you can just go to one page that lists everything new that you want to read.

Hell you don't even have to go to that one page because you can make it into an RSS feed that updates on every new chapter on your readlist.

I can get Stat Flow and all because he doesn't read a lot, but both of you are just silly.

Good to see Medaka Box over 100k still. I'm surprised Nisekoi isn't higher, considering how high it's been placing in the Jump ToC.
Nisekoi has been having crazy shortages in sales. They're on their 3rd printing now, it's just insane.

It's a hit, the shortages are holding the sales back.

duckroll

Printing over a million copies of Silver Spoon Vol4 isn't the only thing Shogakukan is doing to push the release of the manga next week. They're also going to do a really fun ad campaign.

http://www.shogakukan.co.jp/pr/ginsaji/
http://www.shogakukan.co.jp/pr/ginsaji/tvcm.html

With cooperation of a real Agricultural High School in Hokkaido, they are producing 19 live action ads for Silver Spoon. But these aren't just normal ads promoting the manga. Instead, they are designed to showcase an average day as depicted in the manga. The first ad will start at 4am on July 18, and the final one will air at 10pm on the same day. Each ad shows what activity the students would be doing at that hour based on the schedule in the manga story.

They're putting the ads on different TV stations across Japan, at each hour, so for most people watching TV, they'll probably only see one of the ads if they're watching at that time, but on the Hokkaido culture channel, they will run all the ads at each hour, probably because it will also serve to bring attention to the industry in that region.

There will also be a combined single ad which will air on some major channels in the days following this ad relay. The individual ads are also going to be put online, probably at the same time as each one airs. Here's a sneak peak:

Kurita

Assassination Classroom 2
Still don't know how it will last more than 50 chapters.

Takamagahara 2
Pretty funny, the punch at the end killed me.

Second what. Checking 10 times a day is fine but why scan huge lists or multiple sites when you can just go to one page that lists everything new that you want to read.

Hell you don't even have to go to that one page because you can make it into an RSS feed that updates on every new chapter on your readlist.

I can get Stat Flow and all because he doesn't read a lot, but both of you are just silly.

Dear upandaway,

did you just use italics inside of italics? Why?

Kind regards
Glass Rebel~

No seriously, I use Google Drive for almost everything: college notes, scripts, gaming expenses, various music/movie/manga (wish)lists... I'm only reading about 20 ongoing manga right now so it isn't really that hard to keep up. Especially when ManGAF talks about most of them anyway. There are iPhone apps that help with this but honestly, I find out about new releases sooner by myself. It just seems like a lot of work adding every manga on my list to MU just to use a feature I don't really need. I will keep my customizable spreadsheets, thank you very much.

Feels good.

Now read Beck.

One day, my man. One day.

upandaway

Dear upandaway,

did you just use italics inside of italics? Why?

Kind regards
Glass Rebel~

No seriously, I use Google Drive for almost everything: college notes, scripts, gaming expenses, various music/movie/manga (wish)lists... I'm only reading about 20 ongoing manga right now so it isn't really that hard to keep up. Especially when ManGAF talks about most of them anyway. There are iPhone apps that help with this but honestly, I find out about new releases sooner by myself. It just seems like a lot of work adding every manga on my list to MU just to use a feature I don't really need. I will keep my customizable spreadsheets, thank you very much.
By the time I wanted to use the second italics I forgot I put in the first ones, and I didn't notice they were there. There were like 3 seconds there, plenty of time to forget anything that moves.

Anyway it's all cool, I thought it would annoy you to constantly check but guess not. Though if it's the extra work that deters you, you can just add a new series as new chapters of it come out for it, rather than all at once.
(retcon: rereading this I sound a bit pissy like you're not using my beloved site of choice, haha didn't mean to come off like that)

thetechkid

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

Why is it that every time I find a side character I like they go Wolfwood on me?

Also read through Ane Doki today and for what it was, it wasn't horrible.

Thud

I meant his one shots. DA didn't belong in WSJ, they cancelled a lot of fun that year. Well, I do enjoy reading Nisekoi and it gives Naoshi some credit. So it's fine. I guess he adapted well in shounen.

By the time I wanted to use the second italics I forgot I put in the first ones, and I didn't notice they were there. There were like 3 seconds there, plenty of time to forget anything that moves.

Anyway it's all cool, I thought it would annoy you to constantly check but guess not. Though if it's the extra work that deters you, you can just add a new series as new chapters of it come out for it, rather than all at once.
(retcon: rereading this I sound a bit pissy like you're not using my beloved site of choice, haha didn't mean to come off like that)

One day I might see the light and use MU but not yet. I have to catch up to Gintama (300+ Ch) and Detective Conan (600+ Ch) first. I don't need MU to tell me how awful I'm at working down my backlog. :'(

dramatis

You know he's right. Nisekoi's a boring-ass manga with a following that's more interesting to read than the manga itself, since they have silly shipping wars.

Pretty much like smutgaf, except smutgaf has tits.

Okay, so smutgaf is more interesting than nisegaf.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You know he's right. Nisekoi's a boring-ass manga with a following that's more interesting to read than the manga itself, since they have silly shipping wars.

Pretty much like smutgaf, except smutgaf has tits.

Okay, so smutgaf is more interesting than nisegaf.

You failed to realize that smutgaf is nisegaf.

duckroll

Silver Spoon - Chapter 11-31

The summer arc is another great set of stories. I think what really makes the manga work is how episodic the stories feel in the sense that reading a story arc feels more like an anthology of stories rather than just an ongoing single plotline. Each individual story in Hachiken's daily life explores different themes and has different moral lessons and educational value about farming life. There's also a lot of delicious food. Oh... so much delicious food. I must remember to never read this manga when it is late and I nothing to eat if I get hungry.

Hachiken's brother is pretty funny, but I think introducing him was also a good way to introduce the audience to the sort of life and family that Hachiken himself is running away from. I have to say, the manga does a pretty good job of balancing a rather large supporting cast. At first it was a bit large to remember who each person was, but as each story introduces more background information for each character, it becomes pretty easy to associate them with their own quirks or the parts they played in individual stories which focused on each one of them.

Hmmm... I think I want some bacon now.... mmm...

flawfuls

Kingyo Used Books Volume 1-2

I really like the idea behind this manga. Each chapter is short story somehow revolving a specific manga. Most of the chapters are about some random non main character who's life mirrors a situation or theme of the manga, but sometimes its just about a big buff dude trying to find the courage to buy girly shoujo manga.

So far most of the manga they talk about are super old things that might have some fame in Japan, but I haven't heard of. The only they manga covered so far that I knew were Chie the Brat, Adolf, Galaxy Express 999 and Dr. Slump.

The next few volumes seem to be doing well known manga though. The Sailor Moon, Devilman and Kazuo Umezu chapters better be awesome.

Lain

I wanted to look up manga prices for US releases to compare them with ours (they're about the same) and just noticed this:

http://i.imgur.com/Ph1RE.png[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZqGcp.png

oh wow[/QUOTE]

If Germany (supposing you're from Germany) manga prices are about the same as America, I guess manga is overpriced (from my point of view) in Germany as much as it is in America?

survivor

Banned
Solanin END

SPOILER
http://i.imgur.com/SLv7i.png
SPOILER

sure got fucking dusty in this room.
Favourite character?
qTllb.jpg

What. I cannot imagine someone with any amount of ongoing manga not maintaining an MU list. It freaking tells you whenever anything comes out for any of the series including a link, it's crazy. It's like there's no point in using a tracking site that can't do that.
But I don't need to be reminded when a new chapter is out. Most of the monthly manga I'm reading have big following here so you guys always remind me when a new chapter is out and the other manga I read are either weekly with regular schedule or finished manga so I don't need to check anything.

Kingyo Used Books Volume 1-2

I really like the idea behind this manga. Each chapter is short story somehow revolving a specific manga. Most of the chapters are about some random non main character who's life mirrors a situation or theme of the manga, but sometimes its just about a big buff dude trying to find the courage to buy girly shoujo manga.

So far most of the manga they talk about are super old things that might have some fame in Japan, but I haven't heard of. The only they manga covered so far that I knew were Chie the Brat, Adolf, Galaxy Express 999 and Dr. Slump.

The next few volumes seem to be doing well known manga though. The Sailor Moon, Devilman and Kazuo Umezu chapters better be awesome.
I wanted to read this manga but was afraid I won't get the references and be lost most of the times.

flawfuls

I wanted to read this manga but was afraid I won't get the references and be lost most of the times.

You won't, but neither do I. A lot of the time they talk about super niche manga that don't even have MU pages. They generally describe the manga they are talking about so it isn't necessarily. Part of the fun comes from the variety of things they talk about. There is even a chapter about French comics and Moebius.

That being said this manga is definitely more entertaining when you are a fan of what they are talking about.

You won't, but neither do I. A lot of the time they talk about super niche manga that don't even have MU pages. They generally describe the manga they are talking about so it isn't necessarily. Part of the fun comes from the variety of things they talk about. There is even a chapter about French comics and Moebius.

The english print edition at least gives some details about each of the manga in question so it's not entirely without context. Each volume is secretly a 192 page invite to learn japanese and blow your life savings at a Book-Off though. -_-;;

What's the average price in America ?

SJ type books range between $8-10 while the mature line titles (anything not Shonen/Shojo, really) are $13+. Books by other publishers tend to get more expensive (Berserk starts at $15, and then there's the really small print run fantagraphics stuff that goes well over that). The price spread isn't quite so bad anymore but that's mostly because there are so few publishers left. You can save a little bit of money buying via Amazon (or quite a bit more by buying through the iOS/Android apps, although that limits your lineup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom