• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magico 1-END

fdoLE.png

Would've been more interesting if those two were the MCs. As it was, I don't really have anything positive to say about it.

New anime project for Zettai Karen Children is on the way. What kind of anime and when it will happen are still unknown.
^ From the anime thread. I know a few people here follow the manga.

gunbo13

I caught up on Silver Spoon and some random other manga ... and read some girl on girl
cannibalism
. I think I'd have been fine with just more shounen romcoms :|
You can never go wrong. I'm not exactly sure what my favorite genre is per say...but shounen romcoms are up there. And not the heavy fan-service ones either. I like the ones with a twist like Countrouble and Karin. Witches, angels, devils, vampires, etc... It's a combination of fantasy with a read that is typically light-hearted and most importantly, fun.

I can only take most other genres in doses. Too much shoujo is a headache galore. Too much battle shounen just makes me feel like I'm in a loop. Too much seinen makes reads too serious. Too much josei makes things too shallow. Too much fan-service manga...wait, that one is OK. ;)
Indeed, the com part ruins most of it.
My sarcasm doesn't work on new blood it seems.

Akito

Fairy Tail
Dat fanservice. The extra rule was dumb as fuck but somehow FT must be messed up again. That and Lucy being useless as always.

Buyuden
Dat Moka fanservice... do not want.

TWGOK
Flashback time now I guess. I still have no idea what's going on.

scy

You can never go wrong. I'm not exactly sure what my favorite genre is per say...but shounen romcoms are up there. And not the heavy fan-service ones either. I like the ones with a twist like Countrouble and Karin. Witches, angels, devils, vampires, etc... It's a combination of fantasy with a read that is typically light-hearted and most importantly, fun.

I can only take most other genres in doses. Too much shoujo is a headache galore. Too much battle shounen just makes me feel like I'm in a loop. Too much seinen makes reads too serious. Too much josei makes things too shallow. Too much fan-service manga...wait, that one is OK. ;)

Hm ... I don't even really know if I have a favorite genre, honestly. More the type of story, I guess? Dunno! I mean, I hone in on romance subplots way too much as is anyway :x

/////////// \\\\\\\\\\\\

gunbo13

Hm ... I don't even really know if I have a favorite genre, honestly. More the type of story, I guess? Dunno! I mean, I hone in on romance subplots way too much as is anyway :x
That's because interest in others is a part of life e.g. realism. And subplots without romantic interest feel abnormal and disconnected if the criteria is present. It's also identifiable, at least to a degree more then receiving mysterious powers or turning into some creature. We also have to deal with these types of relationships or variations of them, while we are of course not out there going on training arcs to level up for our foes (or at least I hope not). So seeing a much rosier depiction of these romantic subplots is refreshing with no mess.

That's at least my view.

Mr. Fix

Fairy Tail
Dat fanservice. The extra rule was dumb as fuck but somehow FT must be messed up again. That and Lucy being useless as always.

Fairy Tail
Another chapter of Lucy getting beat up expect this time it look like she injured pretty bad .

Fairy Tail

Dat fan service. Lucy getting beaten up was cruel.

Fairy Tail 291

Lucy got beat up pretty bad.

Yo I heard Fairy Tail was pretty good, guys!

survivor

Banned
Yo I heard Fairy Tail was pretty good, guys!

No, it sucks

huh?

There is a liveblog of kodanshas sdcc panel, if ones interested http://animediet.net/conventions/kodansha-manga-panel-liveblog
Why do they keep talking about boring crap like Sailor Moon, argh

I found this part funny
"How did Borders’ bankruptcy affect them? not much. They were ready for them to implode as early as 2008"

scy

That's because interest in others is a part of life e.g. realism. And subplots without romantic interest feel abnormal and disconnected if the criteria is present. It's also identifiable, at least to a degree more then receiving mysterious powers or turning into some creature. We also have to deal with these types of relationships or variations of them, while we are of course not out there going on training arcs to level up for our foes (or at least I hope not). So seeing a much rosier depiction of these romantic subplots is refreshing with no mess.

That's at least my view.

I was just going for that I'm a hopeless romantic at heart but, sure, that works too.

Nah, I think you're right on that.

Gradivus

Printing over a million copies of Silver Spoon Vol4 isn't the only thing Shogakukan is doing to push the release of the manga next week. They're also going to do a really fun ad campaign.

http://www.shogakukan.co.jp/pr/ginsaji/
http://www.shogakukan.co.jp/pr/ginsaji/tvcm.html

With cooperation of a real Agricultural High School in Hokkaido, they are producing 19 live action ads for Silver Spoon. But these aren't just normal ads promoting the manga. Instead, they are designed to showcase an average day as depicted in the manga. The first ad will start at 4am on July 18, and the final one will air at 10pm on the same day. Each ad shows what activity the students would be doing at that hour based on the schedule in the manga story.

They're putting the ads on different TV stations across Japan, at each hour, so for most people watching TV, they'll probably only see one of the ads if they're watching at that time, but on the Hokkaido culture channel, they will run all the ads at each hour, probably because it will also serve to bring attention to the industry in that region.

There will also be a combined single ad which will air on some major channels in the days following this ad relay. The individual ads are also going to be put online, probably at the same time as each one airs. Here's a sneak peak:

Wow, I'll need to get back into this. One of my friends sent me the first volume through mail last year, seeming she lives in Obihiro. I was pretty hooked even know its not really the genre that keeps me occupied. Enjoying FMA must have been the key.

Read One Piece a bit late this week. It's getting much better now with all the major villains and such finally getting some more hype/screen time. Hopefully those build ups from so early on in the manga doesn't disappoint in the end.

Toki to Towa 1
tumblr_m5dk1aMVFo1r8tq4mo1_500.png

Eh the manga didnt really sell me on the game. Hopefully the game just swiftly breezes over all this stuff before the 50th page because it was pretty dull and drab. The five leads were just unappealing and boring, and a hot spring even, all for a flower for a wedding? why? The last four pages were good I guess, well makes me want to read what happens next since
the one she is marrying seems struck down and all these shadow people came up
, it almost reminds me of what happened in the beginning of Tsubasa, except without feathers and if Sakura was male.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Pandora Hearts 1-32

So I decided to read through the entirety of the manga once again since the 20th is approaching. I realize every time just how drastic the art changes are as the story progresses. Oz looks less more and more defined with his somber eyes and the overall design of the faces/characters sets it apart from other mangas to me. Plus I'm slowly realizing that the manga gets more intricate in plot due to the amount of words per page as the chapters go on.

I think my favorite part of the manga up to this point is how Break comes off as an ass and you slowly get to learn how is mind actually works. We get bits and pieces of his psyche and just as I think that I understand him, he becomes everso mysterious. Really keeps me on enticed and interested in the series. So far it's an enjoyable experience and I don't regret reading the series again and again and again.

survivor

Banned
Natsu no Zenjitsu vol 1

Very good first volume. No stupid going back and forth between Akira and Testuo, they just ended up together by the end of the first chapter and had sex by the second, which was too hot. (NSFW?)

I have a feeling the author of the manga was an art student and this kinda resembles her time there. Well maybe it's not like See you in Eden. It's just what I feel from the art style and the theme of the manga (artist struggling to draw shit). The art looks very different from regular manga, there is more shading, feels more busy. Just some pictures to show what I mean

Akira holding an umberlla for Testsuo
Tetsuo giving back the umbrella
Tetsuo and Akira getting close
Akira's room
You had a thing for scarves right Solune?

So there was this girl, Hanami, that Tetsuo keeps seeing. I don't know if he will actually talk to her, but I really hope this manga stays away from love triangles, NTR, or misunderstanding bullshit. I expect a somewhat mature take on romance and I hope Hanami doesn't ruin that.

Fairy Tail

So after Natsu invades your compound and beats the living fuck out of half your members simply because you stripped, banished and humiliated one of your own guild members...your plan is to try and kill Lucy, his partner and one of the people he cares about most on the planet?

Y'all motherfuckers retarded. People gonna get barbequed next chapter.

PK Gaming

Oi

So on top of OP going on break next week, we'll get ANOTHER break on top of that in the upcoming summer double issue. lol

Oda ate the Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Togashi

Fairy Tail

So after Natsu invades your compound and beats the living fuck out of half your members simply because you stripped, banished and humiliated one of your own guild members...your plan is to try and kill Lucy, his partner and one of the people he cares about most on the planet?

Y'all motherfuckers retarded. People gonna get barbequed next chapter.

More likely due to him pulling shit out of his ass like usual

Naruto Movie stuff

The lipstick kills the entire thing :(

Should be interesting to see these alternate characters though

Life is Money

I know I seem like a broken record at this point, but the facial expressions and impact of certain pages are still awesome. This continues to be similar to Kaiji with a nastier game and a more standard art style.

And damn, Kouji indirectly killed someone 0_o. This game has completely killed his innocence. That sucks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't really understand why Gray has such a problem with Juvia. Stalker or not, she's the only waifu of that matters in FT.

Also: lol@ the panel with the Sabertooth guy giving the Dreamworks smile.

Also also: It's pretty ridiculous that all of the bad guys in FT are such simpletons that they legitimately enjoy torturing other people and being baseline evil for the sake of evil, but then magically grow hearts (Grinch-style) when its time for a pointless heel-face turn like these dragon slayers are totally going to get. Like, this chick literally tortured and as far as they know, murdered Lucy in front of everyone and they're all laughing like its hilarious. It's silly and every single "evil" guild in FT is like that. Wouldn't they be worried that Makarov was going to go over there and kill them? Maybe someone already told them Makarov is useless and never does anything.

Mr. Fix

I love how every single week someone pretends to know befora hand what was gonna happen.

seriously guys, just enjoy it

DTL alt? jk
?
I do notice it quite often. Maybe it is predictable and fan-service-y. I don't even read it, nor do I want to.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To add to that last point, Gajeel's original character intro was him torturing Lucy by beating the shit out of her to taunt Natsu, and then everyone in FT forgot about it.

Hell, he beat the shit out of Levi too, and now she's in love with him. Mashima is pretty warped.

duckroll

Silver Spoon - Chapter 32-44

Oh dear, we're going into a drama arc! I hope this doesn't end badly for Hachiken. He's so fragile, it hurts to see him do some of that shit to himself. On the other hand, it seems that with the Autumn arc, characters are starting to move forward. We finally see the baseball stuff previously hinted at, and preparing for cultural festivals is always fun. The bad news? I'm now out of Silver Spoon to read. Boo!

Magi - Chapter 112

Hey, chibi-Sinbad in one of the panels is pretty cool. It's nice to see an acknowledgement of how Sinbad is the final evolution of a typical shounen lead, who has traveled the world, adventured, gotten stronger, gathered allies, and eventually become the adult mentor figure who is the direct opposite of a shounen lead.

WTF @ ENDING. This is why I hate reading weekly manga. >_<

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Girls of the Wild's 47

boxer dude wrecked pretty boys shit.

now lets fast forward to sae gu wasting that other dude.

upandaway

Minamoto

Well, uh? What do you think he'll think about when you're such a stupid tease? Look how you're dressed, woman, then tell others they're sex freaks!

Fairy Tail

I love in the color spread how they redrew Kana injecting alcohol into her nose (otherwise, nice spread).

Magi

So far I can see where Sinbad's coming from, he's helping all of them out (understatement) so it's reasonable to expect support. Nothing wrong here. But his face after he does the deed is like he's gonna leverage them to conquer the world or something.

He's a good guy for sure, dunno why he's doing the face. Some calculated nice-guy won't kill anyone.

Wait wtf? Nisekoi is the only manga with a dramatic increase in sales for the second volume. I don't understand at all.
(misleading picture because the camera-man then bought the last 2 copies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom