• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Yeah, I'm sure it won't be a way to a resolution, but I am interested to know what his wish is too. I'm also wondering whose that spirit is... there are a few questions here to answer, even if given the series I don't expect a resolution anytime soon.

Yeah, it all comes down to his wish for how interesting this can be, I guess. Considering the only real conflict here is Ikuto's life off the island vs his life on the island, I kind of wonder if something can come from this.

But I really should know better than to wonder that.

Double Arts was a mediocre manga, even Nisekoi is a big step up.

Sadly, DA wasn't that great but it still felt like it died out way early. It even threw out so many different things for plot hooks but none kept. Sad day.

I really enjoyed the Nisekoi oneshot way back when so I'm quite happy that Nisekoi is going strong.

Yeah, but not for Manga.

Pokémon breeding is serious business.

seriously. Need dem perfect stats.

I've never used them competitively, making those hours all the more wasteful.

Silver Spoon - Chapter 11-31

After your rather tentative approach to Silver Spoon, it's nice to see you really enjoying it :x

survivor

Banned
wut. Can you post some numbers for comparison?

New manga that started in Jump since 2010. Only decided to pick ones that actually had more than couple of volumes or had some known first week sales

Omagadoki Dobutsuen vol 1 - < 26,514
Omagadoki Dobutsuen vol 2 - < 32,143
Omagadoki Dobutsuen vol 3 - < 36,680
Omagadoki Dobutsuen vol 4 - < 25,374
Omagadoki Dobutsuen vol 5 - < 24,623

Enigma vol 1 - < 32,143
Enigma vol 2 - < 36,680
Enigma vol 3 - 25,775
Enigma vol 4 - 38,276
Enigma vol 5 - 40,177
Enigma vol 6 - < 28,472
Enigma vol 7 - 21,591

Magico vol 1 - 32,023
Magico vol 2 - < 25,194
Magico vol 3 - < 28,472
Magico vol 4 - 26,340
Magico vol 5 - 37,182
Magico vol 6 - 37,406

ST&RS vol 1 - < 24,710
ST&RS vol 2 - < 18,953
ST&RS vol 3 - < 32,298
ST&RS vol 4 - < 30,231
ST&RS vol 5 - < 23,597

Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa vol 1 - 44,215
Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa vol 2 - < 32,298
Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa vol 3 -36,739

Kurogane vol 1 - < 28,472
Kurogane vol 2 - < 21,591
Kurogane vol 3 - < 30,231
Kurogane vol 4 - 30,210

Pajama na Kanjo vol 1 - 31,899

Nisekoi vol 1 - 45,317
Nisekoi vol 2 - 73,216

Nisekoi has reports of being sold out so I'm guessing the actual sales are a bit higher. Though I can't find anymore numbers for it. Also just for comparison sake looking at 2009, there was Medaka Box and Beelzebub. Both of these manga managed to hit 100k by their third volume release. Will Nisekoi manage to do that?

Defuser

New manga that started in Jump since 2010. Only decided to pick ones that actually had more than couple of volumes or had some known first week sales

Omagadoki Dobutsuen vol 1 - < 26,514
Omagadoki Dobutsuen vol 2 - < 32,143
Omagadoki Dobutsuen vol 3 - < 36,680
Omagadoki Dobutsuen vol 4 - < 25,374
Omagadoki Dobutsuen vol 5 - < 24,623

Enigma vol 1 - < 32,143
Enigma vol 2 - < 36,680
Enigma vol 3 - 25,775
Enigma vol 4 - 38,276
Enigma vol 5 - 40,177
Enigma vol 6 - < 28,472
Enigma vol 7 - 21,591

Magico vol 1 - 32,023
Magico vol 2 - < 25,194
Magico vol 3 - < 28,472
Magico vol 4 - 26,340
Magico vol 5 - 37,182
Magico vol 6 - 37,406

ST&RS vol 1 - < 24,710
ST&RS vol 2 - < 18,953
ST&RS vol 3 - < 32,298
ST&RS vol 4 - < 30,231
ST&RS vol 5 - < 23,597

Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa vol 1 - 44,215
Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa vol 2 - < 32,298
Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa vol 3 -36,739

Kurogane vol 1 - < 28,472
Kurogane vol 2 - < 21,591
Kurogane vol 3 - < 30,231
Kurogane vol 4 - 30,210

Pajama na Kanjo vol 1 - 31,899

Nisekoi vol 1 - 45,317
Nisekoi vol 2 - 73,216

Nisekoi has reports of being sold out so I'm guessing the actual sales are a bit higher. Though I can't find anymore numbers for it. Also just for comparison sake looking at 2009, there was Medaka Box and Beelzebub. Both of these manga managed to hit 100k by their third volume release. Will Nisekoi manage to do that?
Hopefully it does so we can have a Nisekoi anime.

Lain

What's the average price in America ?

Don't know what the average is (what I import of manga published in America is not enough for me to have a good idea), it's just that when looking at, let's say OP, Bleach, Naruto, they seem to be 9,99$ in America and, doing a direct conversion (not factoring in discounts), that's 5,2$ (OP) to 4,8$ (Naruto, Bleach) higher than what they cost here.
Even when looking at Devil and Her Love Song or Dawn of the Arcana, which have a slightly more expensive edition compared to the shonen trash here, there is still a 2,7$ difference in price.

Kurita

Don't know what the average is (what I import of manga published in America is not enough for me to have a good idea), it's just that when looking at, let's say OP, Bleach, Naruto, they seem to be 9,99$ in America and, doing a direct conversion (not factoring in discounts), that's 5,2$ (OP) to 4,8$ (Naruto, Bleach) higher than what they cost here.
Even when looking at Devil and Her Love Song or Dawn of the Arcana, which have a slightly more expensive edition compared to the shonen trash here, there is still a 2,7$ difference in price.
Thanks.
The price in France is really high nowadays. The VAT's raise was painful.
One Piece costs 6,90€ now. It was 6,5€ two years ago. And things like Punpun, I Am a Hero cost 7,45€.

Bakuman vol 11
I really like the new assistants, great interaction between them.
That PCP manga... Mindfucks, especially for their last chapters.
Can't wait for volume 12.

Bakuman vol 11

If they give them more screentime, though Im just one volume ahead of you. Orihara is still my favorite of their assistants, his personality is nice.

Thud

Thanks.
One Piece costs 6,90€ now. It was 6,5€ two years ago. And things like Punpun, I Am a Hero cost 7,45€.

I haven't bought a volume in a while but that's about the average price in The Netherlands too. Stores keep robbing you. Most of the times I bought volumes online say €5,50 per volume. Well it's not that bad, they don't prize volume $9,99 in US and €9,99 in EU. With games $49,99 = €49,99 pretty much.

Bakuman vol 11

PCP is a great manga. Although I would rather buy Otters 11 if I could.

Dresden

anorexia – Shikabane Hanako wa Kyoshokushou

Genres: Drama Ecchi Horror Psychological Seinen Smut

gVExD.jpg

scy

Yeah, no I'm not into
cannibalism.

Note to Self: Read tags next time.

Edit: I still read Chapter 2.

I probably shouldn't have read Chapter 2.

Well, I mean ... yeah. Yeah, that really wasn't a surprise. And not as violent as I figured for "eaten alive" anyway. I think I'll pass if we get into _actually turning people into food_

scy

First link after google,
warning contains CRUEL cannibalism.

Well fuck me sideways, hell no.

Honestly, I was expecting
them to randomly viciously murder the girl first with some sort of "SURPRISE, LOOK AT THAT!" spread. The actual event wasn't _that_ bad and oh my god I'm qualifying a girl feasting on another girl what have I done wrong with my life

Lain

Thanks.

That's kind of a surprise. I would have expected France to have prices similar to ours in Italy for stuff like OP. We have kept a 3,90€ price for OP for a long while now, since 2009, while Naruto and Bleach have gone up to 4,20€, which is more or less the average price for mainstream shonen/shojo releases.
Goodnight Punpun costs about the same here (7,50€), while I am a Hero is 5,90€ (though it's still too much for me given the problems I have with that edition).

Kurita

That's kind of a surprise. I would have expected France to have prices similar to ours in Italy for stuff like OP. We have kept a 3,90€ price for OP for a long while now, since 2009, while Naruto and Bleach have gone up to 4,20€, which is more or less the average price for mainstream shonen/shojo releases.
Goodnight Punpun costs about the same here (7,50€), while I am a Hero is 5,90€ (though it's still too much for me given the problems I have with that edition).
4€ for a manga, damn... But overall the product might be kind of "meh" no ?
The cheapest manga I buy is Shin Chan, 5€.

upandaway

But I don't need to be reminded when a new chapter is out. Most of the monthly manga I'm reading have big following here so you guys always remind me when a new chapter is out and the other manga I read are either weekly with regular schedule or finished manga so I don't need to check anything.
I didn't realize that it's possible for you to not follow a manga with irregular releases (or monthly manga that people don't always mention here). How do you post so much without reading all these stuff.

I also made a mistake in thinking you guys are like me and want to read stuff as soon as they're out

Takamagahara 2

:lol holy shit. That was a great punch.

They really nail the satisfying punches in this.

Lain

4€ for a manga, damn... But overall the product might be kind of "meh" no ?
The cheapest manga I buy is Shin Chan, 5€.

Yep, for those kind of prices sometimes we can get something not well made, though it depends on the publisher and who worked on the volume, as I've had the fortune of getting the Dragonball PE for 4€ with great quality and color pages throughout, and the misfortune of getting I am a Hero for 5,90€ and plagued with moire on almost every page, to my most recent purchase, Rainbow Field Holograph for 9,90€, where black ink dirtied some pages.

scy

Kimiiro Focus, up to 36 - So uh ... is Sumire the winning girl for this harem? I don't really like Ran. I mean, she gave up and all but ... there's that part of me that's worried, even after the recent chapters (dat
kiss spread
)...

Also, fanservice managed to go up somehow.

Yep, for those kind of prices sometimes we can get something not well made, though it depends on the publisher and who worked on the volume, as I've had the fortune of getting the Dragonball PE for 4€ with great quality and color pages throughout, and the misfortune of getting I am a Hero for 5,90€ and plagued with moire on almost every page, to my most recent purchase, Rainbow Field Holograph for 9,90€, where black ink dirtied some pages.

Is your country the one that gets hardcover and colored manga?

Lain

Is your country the one that gets hardcover and colored manga?

No idea about hardcovers, but I don't think so. I mean, I have never bought a manga with a hardcover here I think (where, with hardcover, I think about something like Wandering Son). They usually have jackets.

Colored manga, depends. Those volumes that have color pages in the Japanese volumes, usually have them here as well (Superior, the new Sailor Moon edition, Vinland Saga, Zetman, Shaman King Perfect Edition, High School of the Dead full color edition -which is freaking beautiful and damn expensive-), otherwise it's all black/white.

If Germany (supposing you're from Germany) manga prices are about the same as America, I guess manga is overpriced (from my point of view) in Germany as much as it is in America?

I'm from Switzerland but we basically have the German prices and yes, it's overpriced compared to your prices, sadly. $10 per volume is kind excessive, I agree.

Favourite character?
qTllb.jpg

Trick question? Every character is my favourite character!

I gotta go with Katou though.

GlassBox

Banned
Kishimoto apparently had a very huge role in the new Naruto movie (ie. not just a small time advisor). A new interview was published with him talking about it:
"At first I declined the offer saying I was too occupied with the (manga) serial to do it but once I started I got geared up and ended up pouring as much energies to it as to the manga. Because I cut no corners (/didnt slack off) at all, I made pretty unreasonable demands on the producing staff tho&#8230;"

"for instance this girl (Hinata) is quiet and shy in the original manga and she is an unpredictably daring personality in the film. so I think the contents of the movie can provide the fans of the manga with another fun as well as the people who dont know the original manga with full of enjoyment. "

"because the fans are frank, their responses make me realize many things. For example in vol 53 I draw a chap cover of Naruto having slept in trying to leave for school through a window with a slice of bread in his mouth. Behind Naruto are the angry mother, Kushina and his father, Minato with a 'oh boy' look. that however is an impossible scene in reality because i took the parents off of Naruto without deep consideration already when I set up the serial as i was still young and single. The cover met with great response from the fans who care parentless Naruto saying 'im so happy for Naruto!'."

"While I can't get the parents who are no more to appear in the serial, I can in a film. I myself love films about parents and children and I always wanted to properly depict Narutos feelings toward his parents and his parents' feelings toward Naruto someday that I feel that with the film I managed to give the fans something back for what I had received from them."

The films trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGCp13w4ZE (I still feel Kishi is going to unmask Tobi in the film before the manga)

Hinata and Sasuke in the film:
446px-Rtn_sasuke_and_hinata.JPG

Sasuke flirting with Sakura, to Naruto's shock (Kakashi also apparently is "hotblooded" while Guy is "reserved")
Naruto_The_Movie_Road_To_Ninja_600_1151018.jpg

Solune

Pee Idol

WHAT
Think of it like when you're using a stall next to someone else and you catch the other guy pe--- OH GOD.

Nisekoi vol 1 - 45,317
Nisekoi vol 2 - 73,216

Wait wtf? Nisekoi is the only manga with a dramatic increase in sales for the second volume. I don't understand at all. But I guess all the other series being boring doesn't help. Funny how Harisugawa ended up selling the most pre-Nisekoi and then it got Kano'd.

Kishimoto apparently had a very huge role in the new Naruto movie (ie. not just a small time advisor). A new interview was published with him talking about it:

The films trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGCp13w4ZE (I still feel Kishi is going to unmask Tobi in the film before the manga)

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120611143054/naruto/images/thumb/8/83/Rtn_sasuke_and_hinata.JPG/446px-Rtn_sasuke_and_hinata.JPG[/IM]

Sasuke flirting with Sakura, to Naruto's shock (Kakashi also apparently is "hotblooded" while Guy is "reserved")
[IMG]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120624011823/naruto/images/8/8d/Naruto_The_Movie_Road_To_Ninja_600_1151018.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70n6vDSsC1r2h125o1_500.gif

poor Sasuke

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

446px-Rtn_sasuke_and_hinata.JPG

Naruto_The_Movie_Road_To_Ninja_600_1151018.jpg

It's basically just mirror universe shit then.

Kishi also finally drew Naruto wearing his dad's pimp-coat:
Hokage-Naruto-Drawing.jpg
kishi did that before for a fan bok and also kishi didn't draw that particular Naruto, Tetusya Nishio did, the character designer for the series and movies.

kishi did this
s22FY.jpg

tacticalfox, the pein arc cloak is different.

scy

Wait wtf? Nisekoi is the only manga with a dramatic increase in sales for the second volume. I don't understand at all. But I guess all the other series being boring doesn't help. Funny how Harisugawa ended up selling the most pre-Nisekoi and then it got Kano'd.

I guess people just really like shounen romcoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom