• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Ever since the link to that Japanese manga sales was posted by Akito, I started compiling an easy to read chart for myself so I can easily pull out sales for any series I want without navigating through weekly charts. I thought it might be of some use to some people so I decided to post it.

Spreadsheet link

Right now it only has series that I like or I wanted to know their sales. I'm still adding more titles everyday, but for now I'm ignoring all the long running ones. Not gonna waste time adding 50 volumes of the big 3

Also few things to note:
- I used the MU/MAL names to be consistent. So TWGOK is Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai and so on.
- The Weeks columns don't always correspond to consecutive weeks. It's just the order of the numbers appearing
- The Total column is more accurate than adding up the weekly sales due to end of year figures
- Some manga have special editions which I think Oricon counts separately, so I decided to add them to the total instead.

Nice, thanks for the effort.

survivor

Banned
Decided to read bunch of one shots, maybe I will find another good one like Mud

Always Together

Two fat high school kids start losing weight so they can date the person they like. If it wasn't obvious from the name of the one shot, they don't go after the people they like but instead end up dating each other after spending all that time together losing weight and so on. Standard stuff, nothing too special.

Black Coffee (Rie Fuji)

Crap art, boring shit, had to force myself to finish it and it was only 25 pages.

Boiling Head

Uh, wat? For a manga with this description "Boiling Head …or the attempt at a scientific-fantastic metaphor for being in a mental conflict situation.", it was really underwhelming. Guess being only 9 pages didn't allow for anything big to happen. It did look pretty so that's something

Children Can't Choose Their Parents

A dude has a chicken as his girlfriend, they have sex and make weird babies or something. Shame it was only 9 pages long.

I'm just saying, why would you need to know how many volumes of X Manga sold in Y month or how many copies of some game sold in Timbuktu. I don't understand the GAF-wide obsession with it. I mean, sure its interesting to mention since you're like "wow Silver Spoon is really popular," but I don't get why you'd want to go out of your way to track down long term sales performance.

Eh, it doesn't hurt to get a good idea about the industry and see what some of your favourite manga are doing compared to other manga.

Articalys

It seems that reports of Naruto ending soon were grossly premature.
Naruto manga creator Masashi Kishimoto revealed in an interview that he anticipates that the manga will continue more than one and a half years from now. He noted that Tetsuya Nishio, the Naruto anime's character designer, had once asked, "How long will this go on…," and Kishimoto responded, "About a year and a half more to go." However, Kishimoto admitted that it now appears that the manga will continue beyond that timeframe.

Medaka Box

Anshin is such a tease. She can end this right now if she wanted. Kind of saps all the tension from the situation.

Don't think I like that the final battle in this arc is friggin shiratori. I want fights, not word games!

Averon

Not surprised by Naruto not ending anytime soon given Oro's reintroduction. I would imagine Jump would be reluctant to end one of their biggest success both at home and abroad anytime soon, especially given their recent difficulty to replicate its success.

Medaka Box

Can't they just, like, fight or something? I gave up on following what was going on about 3 pages in.

Q and A 19+20
For a second there, I thought this manga was going to take a radical left turn into Cage of Eden territory. Pretty funny couple of chapters. It's weird reading something that's more gag-based by Adachi. I'm not really sure what direction it's gonna go from here on out, I doubt they're going to get super serious about track and field.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The retirement fund still isn't big enough yet. LOL

I wonder who the new big bad is gonna be then (The Sage, Oro's return to glory :O)

We've been in this war arc for almost 2 years now. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted another year with how its pacing been going so far. Tobi demasked 2013 confirmed.

Soma

Medaka Box

0hTcC.png

YES AJIMU IS BACK FUCK YE- oh.

Well.

This game is complicated and not having a good grasp on the language is saddening given my username. :|

Kusagari

Medaka Box

This chapter gets 5
UYEqp-1.png
UYEqp-1.png
UYEqp-1.png
UYEqp-1.png
UYEqp-1.png
out of 5.

But seriously, does anyone understand this game? I at least vaguely understood the other ones, but this one I just gave up on by page 5.

Big One

Banned
some people like things that other people dont.

life man.
Still no excuse for shitty opinions. Having a shit opinion has nothing to do with whether I feel your opinion is right or wrong, but when someone posts a thought on something without much reasoning to back it up other than a massive amount of claims, then your opinion sucks. It's just offensive as fuck especially since a lot of these opinions are meant to be taken legitimately, especially on a message board of all places. I think people are forgetting we're in a forum rather than a social website like facebook or a lowest common denominator forum such as gamefaqs. If you want to come in and establish yourself as an opposing opinion to my own, at least make it clear that your opinion is solid, and if you can do that you're okay with me and I'll give you the proper respect and response. I've done it to others here before...unfortunately, none of them are Beam.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Still no excuse for shitty opinions. Having a shit opinion has nothing to do with whether I feel your opinion is right or wrong, but when someone posts a thought on something without much reasoning to back it up other than a massive amount of claims, then your opinion sucks. It's just offensive as fuck especially since a lot of these opinions are meant to be taken legitimately, especially on a message board of all places. I think people are forgetting we're in a forum rather than a social website like facebook or a lowest common denominator forum such as gamefaqs. If you want to come in and establish yourself as an opposing opinion to my own, at least make it clear that your opinion is solid, and if you can do that you're okay with me and I'll give you the proper respect and response. I've done it to others here before...unfortunately, none of them are Beam.

You do understand nobody is actually talking to you, right.

Soma

Binbougami Ga! 24

Hahaha poor Bobby. Dude can never catch a break.

He was unexpectedly bad-ass for a few panels though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The retirement fund still isn't big enough yet. LOL

I wonder who the new big bad is gonna be then (The Sage, Oro's return to glory :O)

I really can't see him avoiding a Tobi reveal beyond this fight, though, so it's going to have to be either Sasuke, the evil Sage, or Orochimaru. I suppose it's possible that Tobi lives through the fight without dying. But he's still getting unmasked I think.

Articalys

The usual biweekly 8-week Jump ranking averages:

1.Toriko   2.6(▼0.1)
2.Naruto   3.3(△0.1)
3.Nisekoi  6.4(△0.5)
4.Haikyuu!  7.4(▼0.3)

5.Sket Dance  8.0(△0.4)
6.Kuroko    8.1(△2.3)
7.Gintama   11.0(▼1.7)
8.Beelzebub  11.3(△0.8)

9.Bleach   13.9(△0.6)
10.Medaka  15.0(▼0.4)
11.Kochikame 15.1(▼0.3)
12.Reborn!   15.9(△0.2)

13.Kurogane  16.9(―0.0)
14.Pajama  18.0(▼0.4)

One Piece was not included since it was absent for two weeks during this period.

Also, the five week averages for the new series from May:

PSI Kusou Saiki -- 7.6 (roughly 4th/5th place)
Koisome Momiji -- 10.3 (roughly 6th/7th place)
Sensei no Bulge -- 11.0 (roughly 7th/8th place)

Angry Grimace

Well, you did bring him up for no particular reason, breh.

He's talking to mysticwhip, not me. It's just an insane bit of foresight that I happened to accurately predict that particular rant.

Soul Cartel 8

Faust and Mephistoles interaciton is interesting if theyre supposed to be in contract with each other. Otherwise how will the three characters play out now and what is their end goal? With main character showing signs of some powers, I wonder if some evil entity will appear, other than the roaming guardians.

gunbo13

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

This is really enjoyable.
It is. Yet I recently did a reminder of Spice & Wolf and MMY still has a lot to do to match up. There are like true "baddass" moments in S&W and that isn't the case with MMY yet. The salt bridge is the closest but that is nothing compared to Holo doing her crazy stuff. They both have their emotional moments but MMY is much more to the comedic, which is fine. And not to ramble on, most other areas lean towards S&W, not counting Holo's unfair adorableness. What MMY can do though to match up is use its "scale." S&W is still an isolated adventure where MMY is a continental struggle with huge battles, etc... It needs to keep things up there and give us more character growth along with interesting dialog.

Yep, S&W vs. MMY for no reason. Still an interesting comparison.
Well, you did bring him up for no particular reason, breh.
So tsundere for each other.

Akito

The last Shingeki No Kyojin chapter was released 2 weeks ago...
Dammit, I need a new chapter !
The last HxH chapter... oh ._.
I've put HxH on hold a long time ago due to the regular hiatuses

Medaka Box
Now I want to see Anshin using all of her 10.000.000.000.000.000 skills at once. But yeah, I'm getting tired of the convoluted moonrunes games as well.

PK Gaming

Medaka Box

This chapter gets 5
UYEqp-1.png
UYEqp-1.png
UYEqp-1.png
UYEqp-1.png
UYEqp-1.png
out of 5.

But seriously, does anyone understand this game? I at least vaguely understood the other ones, but this one I just gave up on by page 5.

Haha :)

I don't really get the game either, I guess we'll just have to see it play out. Awesome chapter, even without the promise of an actual "fight", i'm still hyped.

upandaway

Medaka Box

Dunno what you guys want, it's a simple game. I think I got it.

The game itself will be convoluted as hell and full of insane YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD (love those), yeah, but the rules themselves were pretty easy to digest.

The last HxH chapter... oh ._.
I've put HxH on hold a long time ago due to the regular hiatuses
Huh? What are you talking about, HxH ended after the last hiatus. Here is the final page:

scy

Medaka Box

0hTcC.png

Ajimu panels are best panels.

Anyway, Medaka Box 155 - Was expecting worse. The logic of the game isn't too bad to follow but I don't think I'll have anything to say about the flow of the match at all. How saddening.

Incidentally ... what the hell was Nienami's style? Or was it really just her seven-sword thing?

Kreed

Naruto:

1.5+ years isn't that long when you consider shounen manga pacing. In One Piece for example, the time between the Straw Hats being separated and reunited was 2+ years, and in Bleach, the entire "Espada invasion" arc lasted 2+ years. So 1.5+ years in Naruto time would be "ending soon" based on what you guys have been discussing in regards to the war and Sasuke bringing Orochimaru back, etc... That may just be the amount of time Kishimoto needs to wrap up those elements vs adding new stories/creating new bad guys.

upandaway

Pajama

Well, that happened :lol

He can't really delude himself out of this one, can he? If he does, I could nominate mental aerobatics for an olympic sport. But otherwise they're kind of done.

1.5+ years isn't that long when you consider shounen manga pacing. In One Piece for example, the time between the Straw Hats being separated and reunited was 2+ years, and in Bleach, the entire "Espada invasion" arc lasted 2+ years. So 1.5+ years in Naruto time would be "ending soon" based on what you guys have been discussing in regards to the war and Sasuke bringing Orochimaru back, etc... That may just be the amount of time Kishimoto needs to wrap up those elements vs adding new stories/creating new bad guys.
To translate years into chapters, 2 years are somewhere around 85 chapters when the author takes a normal amount of breaks.

scy

Pajama

Well, that happened :lol

He can't really delude himself out of this one, can he? If he does, I could nominate mental aerobatics for an olympic sport. But otherwise they're kind of done.

I really should catch up on this.

To translate years into chapters, 2 years are somewhere around 85 chapters when the author takes a normal amount of breaks.

Think of the Wednesdays! They'll never be the same in a few years.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Naruto:

Pretty much. It'll be another three months before Sauce reappears, six before he and Naruto have any contact....

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The usual biweekly 8-week Jump ranking averages:

1.Toriko   2.6(▼0.1)
2.Naruto   3.3(△0.1)
3.Nisekoi  6.4(△0.5)
4.Haikyuu!  7.4(▼0.3)

5.Sket Dance  8.0(△0.4)
6.Kuroko    8.1(△2.3)
7.Gintama   11.0(▼1.7)
8.Beelzebub  11.3(△0.8)

9.Bleach   13.9(△0.6)
10.Medaka  15.0(▼0.4)
11.Kochikame 15.1(▼0.3)
12.Reborn!   15.9(△0.2)

13.Kurogane  16.9(―0.0)
14.Pajama  18.0(▼0.4)

One Piece was not included since it was absent for two weeks during this period.

Also, the five week averages for the new series from May:

PSI Kusou Saiki -- 7.6 (roughly 4th/5th place)
Koisome Momiji -- 10.3 (roughly 6th/7th place)
Sensei no Bulge -- 11.0 (roughly 7th/8th place)
cf8np.jpg
PNhur.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom