• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Hayate

Hahaha, I didn't expect that question. Fight hamster, fight! I also want Hinagiku to get in on this.

But holy hell, getting buried in the same grave as your spouse? That's hardcore.

gunbo13

lulz at the MangaGAF shoutout - I wonder what your other readers think that is, particularly given that ManGAF probably doesn't turn up much in Google and your username on your site is not "Ignis"
Obviously it is Ignis's shoutout to his favorite suburb in Kuwait City!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangaf
I usually have a pretty good memory and don't really need do that. There's just something about Trinity Seven that seems to make my brain turn into mush.
I don't get you guys. Trinity 7 is so easy to follow. The only thing that doesn't make sense is it not making sense. Flawless.

A few months ago I came to the conclusion that when I read a monthly chapter, by default I go to the one chapter before that and read all of it.

So far it's working better than before.

I usually only do that for BLue Exorcist (when its in the middle of an arc) or Soul Eater (well until I decided to just let lots of chapters pile up), The other ones I think I can still follow without needing to back read.

Mashima is always drawing interesting things on twitter
AyU71RbCEAATl61.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I usually only do that for BLue Exorcist (when its in the middle of an arc) or Soul Eater (well until I decided to just let lots of chapters pile up), The other ones I think I can still follow without needing to back read.

Mashima is always drawing interesting things on twitter
https://p.twimg.com/AyU71RbCEAATl61.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Ahahahahahahahahahaha at your avatar.

Ahhh... what did we ever do to deserve you, DTL? :)

Psyren v 4 (26 - 35)

The training should have lasted more than one chapters. Ageha and Kyle were really funny in scenes but just one chapter wasnt enough.

Pretty sad for Kabuto upon the shelter and the bones :(

Someone is scanlanting Black God! Have to read it again, since its one year the last release.

Team Medical Dragon 80-81

That was some Trauma Center skills Asada displayed.

Smutgaf should read Saru Lock

survivor

Banned
House of Five Leaves vol 1

ZzUgc.jpg

One thing that bothered me about the anime while watching it was I kept thinking they had a small budget which is why we never got any big fights cause they didn't want to animate them. Now after reading this, I'm starting to think there are no flashy fights in this series at all. For some reason I keep expecting the manga to go to cool swords fighting like in Takemitsu Zamurai

Good setup volume establishing the members of Five Leaves and each member's purpose for joining. Yaichi is still the calm and collected troll that I remember from the anime. I do want to get to his flashback story very soon since it was the highlight of the anime. Natusme Ono's art style fits the manga very well though I do want to see her draw more creepy asshole samurai.

Here's a look at the upcoming Future Cup entries.

Once again, right to left and in order of publication, they are:

- Goblin Night
- Cupid of Love Yakeno Harachiri
- After School ☆ Idol
- INPWEAR CODE
Inpwear Code looks pretty cool from the picture posted.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Before post in IRC: ponpo: I'd ask mangagaf but maybe such software = BAN
So I was right!

Also most recent mandarake purchase -

z0Xti.jpg

Lain

Did I miss something interesting?

Sekirei Vol 1
efe3fced64fb5725072addb52a99762c4c21a82b.jpg

This was more or less what I was expecting. The first volume does a decent job setting up the premise and fulfilling the fanservice part of the deal, though it does a subpar job on fulfilling the action part of the deal, as there just isn't much of that, with every fight interrupted before they can even start.
It's enjoyable that these Sekirei don't have any shame, so no punching the (as usual) useless protagonist when they come out with their tits exposed and he's there looking.

gunbo13

Did I miss something interesting?
Nope, just normal stuff.
Sekirei Vol 1
I want to like this manga but I honestly can't stand it. The back-story is idiotic, "antagonist" doesn't make sense, most of the females are boring, and the MC sucks. Then the side-story with the sister and the bishounen was worse. The harem is also shitty and the action is usually boring.

Homura is the only good thing about the manga with that
ambiguous gender
. I can't think of anything else even remotely good about Sekirei otherwise. Maybe some of the contests setup are alright...but those are mostly stupid as well. Oh and the whole awakening/love stuff is worse then Negima's playing card crap.

scy

I want to like this manga but I honestly can't stand it. The back-story is idiotic, "antagonist" doesn't make sense, most of the females are boring, and the MC sucks. Then the side-story with the sister and the bishounen was worse. The harem is also shitty and the action is usually boring.

Homura is the only good thing about the manga with that
ambiguous gender
. I can't think of anything else even remotely good about Sekirei otherwise. Maybe some of the contests setup are alright...but those are mostly stupid as well. Oh and the whole awakening/love stuff is worse then Negima's playing card crap.

There's too much breasts.

It's ridiculous.

lead girl is least interesting girl too

Aad

Finished watching Berserk, it was glorious although the ending left a lot to be desired.

How is the manga? Is it worth me spending $300+ on the manga?

El Sloth

Banned
Finished watching Berserk, it was glorious although the ending left a lot to be desired.

How is the manga?
It's pretty amazing until you get to the point where you have to wait for new chapters. Then it becomes painful.

Regardless, it's still one of my very favorite comics of all time.

gunbo13

lead girl is least interesting girl too
Yea and she's got that dark Samus thing going on as well. Except her normal version is painfully terrible and her dark version is a carrot to chase (at least up to where I stopped reading). Then you have all the big useless boobs girls and Ms. hospital yuri. Which leave Homura being the only remotely interesting character. Well, along with the trope tsundere enemy just cause of my soft spot.

I'm waiting impatiently for Lain to provide some positives. Though the shameless breastfest has already been covered in post 1.
Regardless, it's still one of my very favorite comics of all time.
Errrr...I mean OK but errrr...

gunbo13

You should use the sacred nihon word instead of tarnishing it with americanisms.
No need for multi-functioning labels when we have a purely identifiable one. Unless you consider seafood and sushi to mean the same.
Ah.

Does this mean I should commit suicide or seppuku?
Both. And then post what happened.

retcon:
OT - Every time I see Lawrance get mad at Holo for asking him to "mate with her" just boggles the mind.

Solune

Yea and she's got that dark Samus thing going on as well. Except her normal version is painfully terrible and her dark version is a carrot to chase (at least up to where I stopped reading). Then you have all the big useless boobs girls and Ms. hospital yuri. Which leave Homura being the only remotely interesting character. Well, along with the trope tsundere enemy just cause of my soft spot.

I'm waiting impatiently for Lain to provide some positives. Though the shameless breastfest has already been covered in post 1.

Errrr...I mean OK but errrr...
Personally I'm geared towards Kuu-chan
Because secretly she might have some weird transformation with her brother that enables them to become adults.. or something otherwise I'd be a lolicon

gunbo13

Personally I'm geared towards Kuu-chan
Because secretly she might have some weird transformation with her brother that enables them to become adults.. or something otherwise I'd be a lolicon
Child -> adult transformations disturb me greatly when the mental doesn't go with it. Merupuri is disgusting as a prime example. I don't recall any child to adult transformations where the mental goes with it though... Usually it is a child form with an adult mind (usually magically) or the child mind remains moving to adult form (awful).

Lain

Yeah, well, hummm... the only positives for me are the tits and the naked girls with no shame + what seems as a decent foundation for a senseless "108 beautiful girls have to fight each other until only one is left". I was hoping for more action/battle time but I guess I'll have to see what the next volumes hold on that aspect, though you and scy aren't filling me with confidence in this one.

I do agree that the main girl doesn't seem that interesting. None of the character shown seem really interesting though, except for Homura (another agreement here? lol) and maybe the MC's sister (because she being a bit of an ass to her brother was lightly amusing) but I'm giving it the benefit of doubt because hey, I want to believe!
and boobies

Durarara!! Vol.3

And we reach the end of novel volume one. Not a bad adaptation of the series. It seems much more lively than the anime and there's a lot more focus on Mikado's character especially the little things that I probably didn't pick up watching.

gunbo13

I was hoping for more action/battle time but I guess I'll have to see what the next volumes hold on that aspect, though you and scy aren't filling me with confidence in this one.
I believe both scy and I are a fickle sort. Also known as having evolving issues with basically everything in manga except finding best girl. Though I can only validate for myself...Homura best girl(?). Yea, we'll go with that.

You probably have a better chance of getting enjoyment out of the battles and comedy(?). I think we have already established an agreement on the boobs though. Well unless we want to quantify it...I'm with scy and that there is too much useless meat.

PS: Sister will annoy you later. I'm pretty damn confident on that one.
I do. Sushi is seafood.
I can't trust you anymore.

scy

Yeah, well, hummm... the only positives for me are the tits and the naked girls with no shame + what seems as a decent foundation for a senseless "108 beautiful girls have to fight each other until only one is left". I was hoping for more action/battle time but I guess I'll have to see what the next volumes hold on that aspect, though you and scy aren't filling me with confidence in this one.

I do agree that the main girl doesn't seem that interesting. None of the character shown seem really interesting though, except for Homura (another agreement here? lol) and maybe the MC's sister (because she being a bit of an ass to her brother was lightly amusing) but I'm giving it the benefit of doubt because hey, I want to believe!
and boobies

I'm just commenting that the amount of fanservice is ridiculous. But most my disdain is the fact I dislike the main girl enough to not care about keeping up-to-date with the series.

Jinzou Shoujo 1-END

A short, not-very-shoujo shoujo series in which a scientist transplants a guy's brain into a girl's body. Should've been awesome, but it wasn't, largely due to the plot being badly executed / squeezed into too few chapters. Also my lingering memories of suicidal clowns are making it hard to get into anything new.

Hayate 371

Daigo got nothing on that counterattack.

Hayate no Gotoku

I'll just go ahead and save you the trouble Luka. Unless your name is Athena Tennousu, the answer is "no".

LOL at Hamster getting blindsided though.

survivor

Banned
Ever since the link to that Japanese manga sales was posted by Akito, I started compiling an easy to read chart for myself so I can easily pull out sales for any series I want without navigating through weekly charts. I thought it might be of some use to some people so I decided to post it.

Spreadsheet link

Right now it only has series that I like or I wanted to know their sales. I'm still adding more titles everyday, but for now I'm ignoring all the long running ones. Not gonna waste time adding 50 volumes of the big 3

Also few things to note:
- I used the MU/MAL names to be consistent. So TWGOK is Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai and so on.
- The Weeks columns don't always correspond to consecutive weeks. It's just the order of the numbers appearing
- The Total column is more accurate than adding up the weekly sales due to end of year figures
- Some manga have special editions which I think Oricon counts separately, so I decided to add them to the total instead.

Taruranto

Eden: It's an Endless World! - 10

Suddenly,
blowjob
out of fucking nowhere! The manga had violence and sex before, but this time it felt kinda gratuitous and out-of-place.

flawfuls

Ever since the link to that Japanese manga sales was posted by Akito, I started compiling an easy to read chart for myself so I can easily pull out sales for any series I want without navigating through weekly charts. I thought it might be of some use to some people so I decided to post it.

Spreadsheet link

Right now it only has series that I like or I wanted to know their sales. I'm still adding more titles everyday, but for now I'm ignoring all the long running ones. Not gonna waste time adding 50 volumes of the big 3

Also few things to note:
- I used the MU/MAL names to be consistent. So TWGOK is Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai and so on.
- The Weeks columns don't always correspond to consecutive weeks. It's just the order of the numbers appearing
- The Total column is more accurate than adding up the weekly sales due to end of year figures
- Some manga have special editions which I think Oricon counts separately, so I decided to add them to the total instead.

This is fantastic.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I really don't understand sales-AGE in the context of anything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Something something $$$ something $$$

I'm just saying, why would you need to know how many volumes of X Manga sold in Y month or how many copies of some game sold in Timbuktu. I don't understand the GAF-wide obsession with it. I mean, sure its interesting to mention since you're like "wow Silver Spoon is really popular," but I don't get why you'd want to go out of your way to track down long term sales performance.

I'm just saying, why would you need to know how many volumes of X Manga sold in Y month or how many copies of some game sold in Timbuktu. I don't understand the GAF-wide obsession with it. I mean, sure its interesting to mention since you're like "wow Silver Spoon is really popular," but I don't get why you'd want to go out of your way to track down long term sales performance.
some people like things that other people dont.

life man.

gunbo13

People enjoy different things. To qualify it even if I don't put much thought into it myself, you can use sales to track market health. Some people find that information interesting while others might just like to track the health of their favorite franchise to see a bit into of its future.

Those who obsess are a different story. But that pretty much goes for any interest.

Psyren v 5 (36 - 44)

Melzez Door versus Explosure (chp 43) was the best one yet. Poor Dolkey getting destroyed by Ageha's unpolished attack. But it looked amazing. I hope theres more and the rest of the commanders are this strong or stronger, especially Shiner. Now I want them to just stay in the Psyren future world instead of the past.

I hate when one buys manga volumes and there is a smudge in a panel :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom