• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes, hahaha.

Come on, you can't say you are not curious as to what will happen, for example, if:
- Zombie outbreaks really happening.
- Alien invasion going hostile to our world.
- Etc etc.

Speaking of alien invasion, is there any good alien invasion manga besides Gantz?

Infinite Justice, I am retracting my previous statement. Please ignore it. Please consider I have never said it.

...Hell, a real zombie outbreak seems more appealing right now.

LOLOLOLOL

ZoddGutts gets credit for first mention on mangagaf.

Blame him too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just move this thread to NarutoFan.com already.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hey guys, I've been busy all day, but I was just reading this new man....

WTF YAOI FANART IN THE MANGA THREAD

I'm out.

Zekes!

Good Ending 120

I hope Seiji ends up with
Shou. Logically (I know why am I trying to bring logic in to a (romance) manga) it just seems like a potentially better relationship than anything he could have with Yuki. It helps a shit ton that Shou has been honest and straight forward with her feelings.

I dunno why I typed that all out

dumbyugi

So I just finsihed reading whats available of Kongou Banchou and holy crap is this a great series. Everything about it is great, the characters are great, the art is fantastic and the story is pretty good as well. This has some of the best double page spreads I've ever seen, like the one from the first chapter everyone seems to post when they read this. I never would have read this if it wasn't for this thread so thanks everyone who posted about it.

I need another series to read and I was thinking of trying to read Bleach. I've only ever read a few chapters and that was years ago so I don't really have an opinion on it one way or another. So should I bother, or just forget it and read something else?

So I just finsihed reading whats available of Kongou Banchou and holy crap is this a great series. Everything about it is great, the characters are great, the art is fantastic and the story is pretty good as well. This has some of the best double page spreads I've ever seen, like the one from the first chapter everyone seems to post when they read this. I never would have read this if it wasn't for this thread so thanks everyone who posted about it.

I need another series to read and I was thinking of trying to read Bleach. I've only ever read a few chapters and that was years ago so I don't really have an opinion on it one way or another. So should I bother, or just forget it and read something else?

If you like something as great as Kongou Banchou you're better off not reading Bleach.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's worth a shot. I recommend it, it's a very quick read. Sometimes the pacing can be slow but that won''t be a problem for you if you're reading it all in bunches. When Kubo is being slow (which is quite a bit), Bleach can be a pain week by week, but in bunches, it's great.

A good alternative is also the Bleach anime. It is a really good adaptation of the source material. But if anime isn't your thing, I still say Bleach is worth a shot.

dumbyugi

It's worth a shot. I recommend it, it's a very quick read. Sometimes the pacing can be slow but that won''t be a problem for you if you're reading it all in bunches. When Kubo is being slow (which is quite a bit), Bleach can be a pain week by week, but in bunches, it's great.

A good alternative is also the Bleach anime. It is a really good adaptation of the source material. But if anime isn't your thing, I still say Bleach is worth a shot.

I would have watched the anime if it was a shorter series but reading the manga would be far quicker. I read harem series so slow pacing is nothing new to me. Are the characters good? I don't mind stereotyped characters as long as they're not boring.

Is it really that bad? I read and enjoy alot of series mangaf would say is complete trash so I'm actually really curious.

Nah, I'm just laying out the bait for the Bleach fanatics in this thread.

As someone who hasn't enjoyed Bleach in a long long time I gotta agree with Stat Flow. I think the anime format fits Bleach much better because IMO the only thing worth checking out are the fights.

dumbyugi

I suppose I'll give the manga a shot and if I like it enough I'll check out the anime. I'll be sure to post what I think as I go.

Edit: My first thought from just the colour spread is that the art is really bad. God I hope it gets better.

Big One

Banned
Just be warned that Bleach goes downhill once all the effeminate characters get introduced. It's best to stick to manly man manga
with superior black muskulls.

Big One

Banned
Yes, it gets better. Kubo stops drawing shit entirely and just makes sketches of characters in cool positions that he later inks and places into random panels with the help of photoshop.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Someone should really pick up Ryuuroden.

Goddamn the fights, the human dramas, the intrigues, the strategies... and did I mention THE FIGHTS?

Not to mention that the art is very capable as well.

dumbyugi

Bleach

Chapter 1 was about as standard as shonen opeing chapters get. The art is bad though servicable so it's good to hear it gets better. Ichigo seems like your standard protag and rukia seem like your standard tough girl.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just be warned that Bleach goes downhill once all the effeminate characters get introduced. It's best to stick to manly man manga
with superior black muskulls.

I wonder how many people actually understand which recent manga was most famous for using this catchphrase (although its been used a few times in various manga)

dumbyugi

Bleach Volume 1

It's kinda generic so far but it's just started and the story hasn't even really started so that's fairly normal. The art is bad, as i said, though it's mostly Ichigo, Rukia & Orihime who are drawn badly. Chad is actually quite nicely designed though he's barely been in it so far. I've been doing other things between chapters but it seems to be a pretty quick read so far, I imagine it will get even faster when there's less information and introduction.

Zekes!

I finally got around to reading Uzumaki. Why the fuck does anyone decide to keep living in that town? It makes no sense

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I finally got around to reading Uzumaki. Why the fuck does anyone decide to keep living in that town? It makes no sense

Its Junji Ito.... the guy who made a manga about a house full of grease, hahaha.

The Enigma of Amigara Fault is a masterclass though.

Also love Splatter Film

18cXL.jpg

I also really enjoyed Hellstar Remina.

...Man, come to think of it, I do enjoy many of his work despite his often tendency to just ending them abruptly.

Suashi no Meteorite 1-3

So there's this guy that wishes on a star for things. Then a meteor destroys his house, but the meteor is actually God in the form of a loli and she grants him other wishes like using a special technique that he didn't have time to think up a name for, so he just screams "dammit" and that becomes the name of the attack. To top it all off the price of the wishes is explosive diarrhea, and using dammit takes up a lot of energy, so he's on the toilet for the whole day afterwards. Then God decides to live with him and they go on wacky adventures while also battling monsters!

In other words, this is amazing.

Dresden

Its Junji Ito.... the guy who made a manga about a house full of grease, hahaha.

The Enigma of Amigara Fault is a masterclass though.

Also love Splatter Film

18cXL.jpg

I also really enjoyed Hellstar Remina.

...Man, come to think of it, I do enjoy many of his work despite his often tendency to just ending them abruptly.

lol, I love that page.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Not even Junji Ito makes horror manga like Junji Ito anymore. Junji Ito only makes comedy manga disguised as horror nowadays.

Many of his concepts are fascinating to me. I mean:

- A monstrous, god-like plant that will smack you like a pancake if you dare eating its honey.
- A massive, nightmare fuel planet-like being from another dimension that devours planets.
- Mysterious human shaped holes that fits a person's figure perfectly and invites people to enter it only to transform them into unimaginable monstrosity.
- (That last picture above) A girl that got nurtured by her dead mother's ghost and in turn eating ghosts to survive (what the fuck?)
- Mechanical-organical monstrosity from the ocean a.k.a. "the ocean takes revenge upon humanity" end-of-the-world scenario.
- Floating heads that hang people with similar face imprinted on those heads (this one is very creative)
- A family staying in a house filled with grease.
- "Circular curse" (this one is unique too)

And many others. None of them has happy ending though.... well, Hellstar Remina has a "happy" ending but then again the entire solar system is gone and the good guys are stuck in a floating capsule that can sustain life for only one year, hahaha.

You have a favorite horror author/manga that you'd like to recommend, flawfuls?

flawfuls

You have a favorite horror author/manga that you'd like to recommend, flawfuls?

Well there is always Waldo Kazuo Umezu

kPHZZ.jpg

The guy lives in a funhouse, basically invented the horror manga genre, is supposedly literally crazy and most importantly made Fourteen. Junji Ito was very clearly inspired by him so their manga are very similar, but Umezu's are like 3 order's of magnitude more crazy.

Bleach Volume 1

It's kinda generic so far but it's just started and the story hasn't even really started so that's fairly normal. The art is bad, as i said, though it's mostly Ichigo, Rukia & Orihime who are drawn badly. Chad is actually quite nicely designed though he's barely been in it so far. I've been doing other things between chapters but it seems to be a pretty quick read so far, I imagine it will get even faster when there's less information and introduction.

I was surprise their design was also quite bad back then for the anime too. However, Ichigo especially improved I think even by the end of that first major arc. Though in marathoning many arcs in the anime three times, there were still a few badly drawn moments even after for a few other characters I think yet to be introduced.

I have up to v3 in the manga, and then also v22-two volumes behind current, really like that saga.

survivor

Banned
Well there is always Waldo Kazuo Umezu

kPHZZ.jpg

The guy lives in a funhouse, basically invented the horror manga genre, is supposedly literally crazy and most importantly made Fourteen. Junji Ito was very clearly inspired by him so their manga are very similar, but Umezu's are like 3 order's of magnitude more crazy.

This dude made Fourteen? Mad respect for him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom