• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
were gunna reboot this itt so y'all better get started on hagio before august begins

2FTMYY7.png
<- all credit to Haly for this beauty

Welcome to the NeoGAF Manga Reading Club for the month of MayJuly! What began as an effort by a bunch of nerds to force each other to read certain titles has expanded into a reading club that anyone can participate in, with a focus on picking a variety of lesser-known quality titles from all periods and genres of Japanese comic book history.

We've selected a series of authors to highlight each month, with occasional months dedicated to a certain topic or genre. This month's subject is Moto Hagio, famed and influential early author of shoujo, shounen ai, and science fiction-themed manga. We will pick one series each week by the author of the month or befitting that month's topic, and talk about that series during that week.

A bit about the author courtesy of this interview with Matt Thorn, who has translated several of her works into English:

For shojo manga fans, comics creator and innovator Moto Hagio needs no introduction. Since her professional debut at age 20 in 1969, Hagio-sensei has been creating stories that transcend the label "comics for girls." Gender-bending science fiction, wistful romances, thought-provoking tragedies touching on taboos like incest and fratricide, and even a comic about a mischievous cat - topics like this and more have been touched by her pen. In Japan, she has won numerous awards for her work, and her stories have been adapted into live-action films and stage plays. Meanwhile, in North America, Moto Hagio's work hasn't quite reached the level of recognition that other manga pioneers like Osamu Tezuka and Yoshihiro Tatsumi now enjoy.

Heart of Thomas
Licensed in English: Y
Purchase: here

They Were 11

Marginal
Licensed in English: N

A, A Prime (also written A, A')

Future Months Planned (tentative)

Furuya Usamaru
Japanese Culture
Taiyo Matsumoto
Osamu Tezuka
Horror
LGBT (yaoi/yuri/shounen ai/shoujo ai/etc.)

Thanks to icarus for puttin in the hard yards on the original OP.

wonzo

Banned
Heart of Thomas

I tend not to care much for how most "older" queer romance manga usually end up in tragedy so it was nice to have it front loaded with everything developing and unwinding off of it. Watching Juli come to terms with everything over 450 densely written pages was far more engrossing than I ever expected it to be, doubly so for the art which is just stupendously good. My only complaint is the ending felt somewhat abrupt but the little storybook vignette at the end helped make it all the less bitter. A must read.

-

deff gunna get a lotta mileage outta this

heartofthomasa.png

They Were 11

This felt like a really cool prototype version of 7Seeds set in Space only without all the dead kids and despair. You only get a brief glimpse into all the different races, their customs, their myths, and most importantly their way of life but it was more than enough to be such an utterly captivating Sci-Fi read that I want more! Will watch the anime film made by the (younger) Dezaki ASAP.

Dresden

just a reminder that starting in august, anyone who doesn't read one of the fine choices from Usamaru Furuya's works will be dealt with harshly.

I read Heart of Thomas and They Were Eleven. Cool, but I don't really think Moto's manga are my kind of thing. I will at least attempt to follow the other stuff in the following months, it's a good way to try out some new genres and stuff. I don't really think I've ever read anything as old as Heart of Thomas, except for sold old Nagai stuff, for example. Oh I don't think I've ever read any BL stuff before Heart of Thomas either.

Droplet

Oh wait shit I read Marginal for the reading club but forgot to post impressions on it. Guess I'm reading it and Heart of Thomas again!

Zweizer

Banned
I already read everything from the Hagio Moto month per the other thread and overall I enjoyed them, though I must say I never really found the characters endearing.

Definitely do give them a read for the story and themes. Marginal is probably the best one of the lot, though I'd suggest to start with They Were 11.

dumbyugi

Yuri na Watashi to Akuma na Kanojo(?) 1

This is kind of a yuri series but not really. The MC is a lesbian who is in love with a girl she was friends with in the past. She's also scared of guys as is normal in this type of story. The girl from the past transfers into the MC's class and they walk around the school together. This would be a generic yuri series but then the end of chapter twist hits. It's nothing super original but it does leave the story open for a straight or lesbian ending. At the very least there is promises of the main "girls" kissing every chapter.

Shingeki no Kyojin 71

That's a really nice chapter in terms of character's development, it explained the rise and fall of Shadis and his personality pretty well, and it does it with some denouement in the end. Obviously it doesn't advance a lot the plot, it just gives a new tidbit of info:
Grisha was from outside the walls.
Now, his memory loss...

1)Was he lying about that, was it just a way to explain others why he didn't know about human society inside the walls?
2)Was he being honest, and in that case
2.a) the memory loss comes from being a brainless titan a lot of time, until he eat by chance a shifter.
2.b) he is a shifter from the shifter titan village and somehow fought MT for something, and he was exiled and his memory erased.

fake edit: no, he knew about the Reiss family titan's secrets, so it has to be 1)

The comment of "at least there is peace inside the walls" was interesting. It teases that maybe outside the walls, even for shifter titans, there is a state of permanent war and conflict. Maybe there are multiple titan villages continuing the conflict that it started all this hundreds of years ago.

Averon

One Piece 793

I absolutely adore these world building chapters. It is a shame they only come about every 3-4 years, immediately after a huge story arc just ended.

Shengar

It's tempting due to stuffs shown this week, but I'll better wait than taking a chance to sanity my my common sense from bad translation.

Fujiyama san wa Shishunki 46

now the serious sensei...lol

Its slowly getting out there on its own at least.

Fujiyama san wa Shishunki 47

Even the friend's big sister can see it and she haven't seen them interact yet.

Maki looked great and that comment Kanba made was very apt imo. Too bad the image was destroyed at the end due to her actions lol.

LeleSocho

Banned
Dammit, again???

What a crazy picture you chose, too!

I just searched for Etrian Odyssey Shishou and your GAF picture popped up ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Toriko 330
I'm still not sure if these underwater chefs are bad guys or not

One Piece 793
Aaaah finally good chapters :D
Also lol apparently Alabasta's saga was only two years ago in OP's time, that means that between Crocodile and Marineford's incident only few months passed.

Boku no Hero Academia 50 SPOILERS
R.I.P.

Zweizer

Banned
If any of y'all hasn't heard of Usamaru Furuya, it's high time y'all read The Music of Marie and Genkaku Picasso.

I just searched for Etrian Odyssey Shishou and your GAF picture popped up ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

I guess I should feel honored about that lol

Pachael

That face Minori made at the end made me laugh hard. I really enjoy the author bringing back one of the best characters despite dropping her from AKB, lol.

I do like the development of her character through the series. Long term vision indeed.

Usobuko

Banned
If any of y'all hasn't heard of Usamaru Furuya, it's high time y'all read The Music of Marie and Genkaku Picasso.

Out of all the manga I read from him, these 2 are the stand outs. I should give Litchi&#9734;Hikari Club another shot some day though.

Zweizer

Banned
Out of all the manga I read from him, these 2 are the stand outs. I should give Litchi&#9734;Hikari Club another shot some day though.

I haven't read enough of Furuya to judge. I still need to read Garden, among others, though if Short Cuts and Wsamarus are any indication, I expect plenty of weirdness.

Shengar

One Piece 793
Akainu have intense argument with the Gorousei and Fujitora
this is one hell of a intense chapter

Usobuko

Banned
I haven't read enough of Furuya to judge. I still need to read Garden, among others, though if Short Cuts and Wsamarus are any indication, I expect plenty of weirdness.

In terms of breadth of variations and creativity in his work, he is ahead of his counterpart, Furuya Minoru. But I kinda adore the latter take on the life of aimless youths/salary-man. Just look at the synopsis of his newest manga.

31 year old Nakamaru Takehiko has trained all his life to never be disturbed by anything that the world throws at him. Whether dog poop begins to rain down from the heavens, or a human shaped strawberry monster shows up in front of him, his will never faltered. But when he realized that his existence in the house inhibits his sister from getting married, he panicked. In his panicked state, he left the house for Tokyo. Now homeless, he must find ways to survive in this world with only his iron will and the companions he finds along the way.

7wzXmzo.jpg

Yea, I will read that.

Shengar

In terms of breadth of variations and creativity in his work, he is ahead of his counterpart, Furuya Minoru. But I kinda adore the latter take on the life of aimless youths/salary-man. Just look at the synopsis of his newest manga.

Yea, I will read that.

"Now homeless, he must find ways to survive in this world with only his iron will and the companions he finds along the way."

wVe3utO.gif

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch793

These world-spanning chapters never disappoint. Nice to see how everyone's reacting to Doflamingo's downfall. Definitely liking Issho and his sense of justice.

Arabesque

Now we got magic on Arslan.
Is this still based on the source, or is Mrs. Arakawa going off on her own now.

Still in line with the source. Magic was a present force in the world (I can recall how it was in the OVA's at the moment).

Magi 273

Time for sinbad's group to rejoin the stage.

Haha, I was legit smiling when Hakuryuu revealed what his original plan was. Get fucked Kouen. This is now Hakuryuu's victory more or less (though he's probably going to need to tone down his plans from now on).

I was sort of hoping we stay on the civil war stage more, but since Judar isn't around that wouldn't have been possible. Guess world war it is then.

Jump Rankings this week (since my previous post was for last weeks) Devilyman debuts anything with CP or Cover has no official rank.

Best Blue (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
Boku no Hero Academia
One Piece
Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Black Clover
Sesuji wo Pin! to (CP)
Hinomaru Zumou
Gintama
Haikyuu!!
Devilyman
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan