• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

So I finally finished catching up to One Piece and I have to say it was much better reading the whole Dressrosa arc in one go, rather than reading it weekly in the beginning. However it did have a few issues with spreading screentime between characters a bit thin and having half the straw hats being neglected. Although I could see the reason why this occurred as Oda was trying to lead all these new characters to form a Pirate Alliance like Whitebeard for instance. While the arc did have its misses it did have its hits such as God Ussop, Bartolemeo, Doflamingo, and Ishho.

As a arc it was pretty weak compared to say Alabasta which the theme was kinda of similar to Dressrossa. The reason I say this is because the fights weren't spread thin and the overall pace and direction was consistent. All in all the arc wasn't terrible because it did have its highlights.

I was confident that there'd be a chapter dedicated to different characters giving their own spin on the "I'm eternally grateful to you, Luffy! If ever ypu need help..." speech we've seen more than a few times before. But this goes way beyond, especially considering that they were motivated enough to do it on their own accord. Oda needed to to give the Straw Hats an armada if they were to remain a legitimate threat to Emperors or even to the rest of the Supernova/Worst Generation, who all have much bigger crews. Eventually you reach a point whereit would be impractical that nobody had simply chosen to sink the Thousand Sunny through overwhelming naval might otherwise.

I mentioned the parallels last week and Alabasta is definitely the better arc looking at thd Straw Hats as a whole. This has definitely been a Luffy arc, with Usopp and Franky getting a couple moments for themselves. I can only hope that the final arc of this saga vs Kaido has a solid, fleshed out battle for every Single crewmember.

Kyou, Curry! 1-6 (END)
9iv7J2l.jpg
Yotsuba + supernatural + curry = greatness. I'm not usually a fan of either culinary stories or child-centric slice-of-life, but the characters, setting, humour and paranormal elements all blended together to make a short series that was both charming and interesting, with the extraordinary compensating for the otherwise mundane nature of the cast's daily activities. Not entirely sure why it ended so early, but it was probably because of some dastardly anti-curry conspiracy. Real shame, since there was clearly much more to be told here.

Please save my Earth volume 3

Twists start to happen!

-The dreams aren't from the future, but from the past, they are aliens!
-their civilization died, and they were diseased and died one by one.
-Rin confess already he is one of them. He isn't Shion but Shuukaido, he is younger than the rest because this is his second reincarnation.
-Haruiko looks like Shion in looks, and has some confusing memories.
-Several characters start to develop ESP.
-Fucking Suukaido, he vaccined Shion but not Mokuren, just in spite?

It's very interesting to see how they were trapped in the base, quarrelling over what to do, who knows what shit went between them as they felt more and more despair, and in the end they all died. Meanwhile, their past lives start to meddle in the present, with Issei that don't want for the past life to chain him, always looking back (though in truth we know it's because he starts developing feelings for Jinpachi) and with Jinpachi falling in love with Alice, without knowing it's because Alice, or because Mokuren.

The last twist reminds me of one of the Sunshine's characters.

Seraph of the End 37
COU_fi9WIAAhJHO.png

YuuMika driving on this roadtrip and Mika wanting to just run off somewhere with Yuu is the best thing. I loved these past two chapters. Weve been waiting years for this and it is delivering well. Now if Mika can try to keep convincing Yuu that the army is bad, I will be glad. Always figured that was the cast with them

Though that would be an interesting setup if they could both be immortal beings, Mika as a vampire, and Yuu as some seraphim.

phaze

Please save my Earth volume 3

Twists start to happen!

-The dreams aren't from the future, but from the past, they are aliens!
-their civilization died, and they were diseased and died one by one.
-Rin confess already he is one of them. He isn't Shion but Shuukaido, he is younger than the rest because this is his second reincarnation.
-Haruiko looks like Shion in looks, and has some confusing memories.
-Several characters start to develop ESP.
-Fucking Suukaido, he vaccined Shion but not Mokuren, just in spite?

It's very interesting to see how they were trapped in the base, quarrelling over what to do, who knows what shit went between them as they felt more and more despair, and in the end they all died. Meanwhile, their past lives start to meddle in the present, with Issei that don't want for the past life to chain him, always looking back (though in truth we know it's because he starts developing feelings for Jinpachi) and with Jinpachi falling in love with Alice, without knowing it's because Alice, or because Mokuren.

The last twist reminds me of one of the Sunshine's characters.

Is the scene in the pic some deliberate Saint Seiya spoof ? The chains and the shape of his armor seem like to much of a coincidence.

Ore ga Ojou-sama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Rachirareta Ken 45 -- Man I love this manga so much. And I love how they've been building up Eri's debut, making her introduction in this chapter just so frightening. Such a great manga.

I started reading this at random and wasn't expecting much thanks to such a silly premise (and more Japanese...groan-inducing treatment of homosexuality) but it's actually pretty good. They're getting a lot of mileage out of some of these jokes but holy crap the chapter where they cross-dress him and their reactions to it is pretty hilarious, especially Aika's. Kirishima's "Lean back and let it happen, try focusing on the chandelier in the ceiling" got me REAL bad. I rarely laugh out loud at manga but that line got me good.

Stulaw

Hayate the Combat Butler 505

Today I learned that Hata has another manga called Ad Astra Per Aspera and is doing both at once. Fumi chapters are great.
The "Sex Appeal" got me haha
Every manga needs Robots and Mysterious Women.

Ad Astra Per Aspera Ch1 part 1

Yeah, I say part 1 because according to HNG this was supposed to be 83 pages but it was too big to fit into 1 week so the author split it in two, only to fall ill so it won't be out until next month or something.

Anyway, this looks interesting, 100 years ago the Earth was invaded and taken over by an alien empire and solve all of Earth's problems, so there's no more war, famine, poverty, global warming, whale hunting etc. But our protagonists best friend thinks this is a net bad thing because everyone has become lazy and won't finish anything and the human race has stagnated as a result, so he decides to take on the alien overlords. Our protagonist is a 15 year old boy who was raised by a robot he calls his mum, since his real mum died when he was 1, and he can fix electronic things easily, but was bullied for having a robot mum.
This ended on quite a cliffhanger, and we haven't even met the female protagonist on the cover yet, and yes, Hata using HnG as an advert worked.

Revo

Hayate no Gotoku! 505

Meta chapters are something
think i'll hold out on reading other series till part 2 comes out

Sweetness and Lightning 1-17
Really cute father and daughter cooking manga, there are some possible romance elements (no, not between the father and daughter) in the manga as well. Also after each chapter there is a recipe of the meal they cooked (Not Soma level but still good looking food).

Gun-Ota ga Mahou Sekai ni Tensei shitara, Gendai Heiki de Guntai Harem wo Tsukucchaimashita!? 02-03

I'm enjoying the world building here and how he's going to make a gun now

but there's also a lot of petting lol

bobohoro

Tokyo Ghoul: Re 42

As someone who adored Tokyo Ghoul I have no reason why right from the very start of RE I just have been so confused and lost and not understood a single second of what's been going on. I don't know who any of the characters are, what is happening, nothing. They'll reveal a character and 9 times out of 10 I'm just like "Who the fuck is this?" It's really weird but I just find it incredibly hard to follow for some reason. I'll see characters I know show up and it's all cool but then shit goes down and I just get lost again. I don't even have a decent explanation like the art or plot or anything, it just is like some weird...thing that I just never understand what's going on.

Pretty much exactly mirrors my experience with :Re, just not a very fun read for me right now.

Hayate No Gotoku 505

These chapters are both worrying and entertaining.

Food Wars! 133

Is Erina going to be so paralyzed by fear and disappointment that Soma will have to fix the dish for her dad? I hope so, I cant wait to see his scene of explosion from Soma's food.

I was confident that there'd be a chapter dedicated to different characters giving their own spin on the "I'm eternally grateful to you, Luffy! If ever ypu need help..." speech we've seen more than a few times before. But this goes way beyond, especially considering that they were motivated enough to do it on their own accord. Oda needed to to give the Straw Hats an armada if they were to remain a legitimate threat to Emperors or even to the rest of the Supernova/Worst Generation, who all have much bigger crews. Eventually you reach a point whereit would be impractical that nobody had simply chosen to sink the Thousand Sunny through overwhelming naval might otherwise.

I mentioned the parallels last week and Alabasta is definitely the better arc looking at thd Straw Hats as a whole. This has definitely been a Luffy arc, with Usopp and Franky getting a couple moments for themselves. I can only hope that the final arc of this saga vs Kaido has a solid, fleshed out battle for every Single crewmember.

Hopefully with the reveal of Kaido the narrative becomes much more fleshed and consistent. I really do want every straw hat to get their time to shine especially Sanji. Though I do appreciate Oda doing the Pirate alliance with the straw hats.

Pretty much exactly mirrors my experience with :Re, just not a very fun read for me right now.

I understand it's opinions and all but what's so confusing about Re? Is it the plot or what because it's been developing the same as the original Tokyo Ghoul. Or is because of the gradual pace? I mean I don't find anything confusing.

As for the art it's gotten much better because the author doesn't have to do deal with the Anime illustration, Calendar, 500 page outline for a videogame, and anime outline. He had a really busy schedule.

I understand it's opinions and all but what's so confusing about Re? Is it the plot or what because it's been developing the same as the original Tokyo Ghoul. Or is because of the gradual pace? I mean I don't find anything confusin

there are like 5,000 fucking characters when i only care about a dozen, same problem as dressrosa really

all this ghoul agency stuff could just disappear and I would suddenly care a lot more

And I agree, nine times out of 10 when a character is revealed I just go "Who?" They change designs so much and there are already too many characters, it's nearly impossible to keep track of.

there are like 5,000 fucking characters when i only care about a dozen

all this ghoul agency stuff could just disappear and I would suddenly care a lot more

Let's be realistic here there's only been a few new important characters introduced and the others were in the original. And even then the other non important characters are used to emphasis how the CCG work in groups/squads. The investigators in the Auction arc don't count because they were mostly from a CCG contest drawn by fans. Plus the CCG is necessary for the narrative because Haise needs to experience the life as an investigator to be the bridge between Ghouls and Humans. I know some people don't enjoy the CCG and prefer Ghoul's but if the author just threw away the CCG organization then it would completely destroy the whole theme and story development. Like it or not the investigators are needed to give the organization a personality, a face.

I mean I don't see so many people complain about a series like HXH for example having too many characters. At least the characters in Tokyo Ghoul Re are recurring and support the narrative.

Oh well hopefully the next chapter will satisfy the people who don't like CCG since the undercover Ghoul operation has been accepted. Anyways it's opinions and I can understand why but still.

One Piece

SO MUCH HYPE

I knew that these characters were going to become Straw Hat affiliates, but I didn’t think it'd be so explicit. Odds are Luffy will initially refuse to lead them, but I can totally see him allowing to sail under his flag, calling him boss and meeting up for a party or two.

SUPER HYPE THO

Seraph of the End

I only read it because it's there, but it's reaching the point where I'm struggling to justify taking the time to read something I'm not enjoying. I'll give a another few chapters since it looks like things are starting to pick up.

Does anyone actually enjoy this?

I like Seraph of the End, its dumb shlock but I enjoy it

I should point out I've only seen the s1 anime so it could get much worse after that, but I enjoyed the s1 anime enough to pick up the manga once the s2 anime ends.

Okay I finally bit the bullet and subbed for a year to Viz's WSJ, my current plan is to catch up on every series they serialize including *sigh* Nisekoi. The series they currently translate that I'm not caught up on are Nisekoi, World Trigger, Blue Exorcist, One Punch Man, YGO Arc V, and Seraph of the End.

Has there only been one chapter of ygo arc v released I can't find it anywhere :X

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Okay I finally bit the bullet and subbed for a year to Viz's WSJ, my current plan is to catch up on every series they serialize including *sigh* Nisekoi. The series they currently translate that I'm not caught up on are Nisekoi, World Trigger, Blue Exorcist, One Punch Man, YGO Arc V, and Seraph of the End.

Has there only been one chapter of ygo arc v released I can't find it anywhere :X

Yeah, just one.
It's monthly as well so it will be a long read.

The Tower of Mysterion 5-10

Don't like the reasoning behind the murders at all. Was hoping it'd be something more interesting. Story had such a strong first chapter and the follow ups were pretty good but interest has been waning once the explanation started to set in.

Anteater

Prison School 188

seriously Hana should end up with Kiyoshi at the end, they went through so much, more than any couples in other mangas I've read

wonzo

Banned
2FTMYY7.png
<- all credit to Haly for this beauty

Welcome to the (late) NeoGAF Manga Reading Club for the month of September! What began as an effort by a bunch of nerds to force each other to read certain titles has expanded into a reading club that anyone can participate in, with a focus on picking a variety of lesser-known quality titles from all periods and genres of Japanese comic book history.

We've selected a series of authors to highlight each month, with occasional months dedicated to a certain topic or genre. This month's subject is Usamaru Furuya, a world renowned and critically acclaimed author. We will pick one series each week by the author of the month or befitting that month's topic, and talk about that series during that week.

Short Cuts

Lychee Light Club

Music of Marie

Genkaku Picasso

BIG REMINDER
just a reminder that starting in august, anyone who doesn't read one of the fine choices from Usamaru Furuya's works will be dealt with harshly.

Future Months Planned (tentative)

Horror
Japanese "Culture"
Fantasy
Taiyo Matsumoto
Osamu Tezuka
LGBT (yaoi/yuri/shounen ai/shoujo ai/etc.)

Previous Reading Clubs:

Moto Hagio

Kvik

Prison School 188

seriously Hana should end up with Kiyoshi at the end, they went through so much, more than any couples in other mangas I've read

Prison School #178 practically sold the idea for me. Sadly Kiyoshi still a bit hung up on Chiyo-chan.

I want a Tokyo Ghoul :Re slice of life spinoff manga where it's just the Quinxes fucking around and doing shit and being a family, but really I just want to know how Saiko's spaceship is developing in Kerbal Space Program.

Hayate the Combat Butler 505

Today I learned that Hata has another manga called Ad Astra Per Aspera and is doing both at once. Fumi chapters are great.
The "Sex Appeal" got me haha
Every manga needs Robots and Mysterious Women.

Ad Astra Per Aspera Ch1 part 1

Yeah, I say part 1 because according to HNG this was supposed to be 83 pages but it was too big to fit into 1 week so the author split it in two, only to fall ill so it won't be out until next month or something.

Anyway, this looks interesting, 100 years ago the Earth was invaded and taken over by an alien empire and solve all of Earth's problems, so there's no more war, famine, poverty, global warming, whale hunting etc. But our protagonists best friend thinks this is a net bad thing because everyone has become lazy and won't finish anything and the human race has stagnated as a result, so he decides to take on the alien overlords. Our protagonist is a 15 year old boy who was raised by a robot he calls his mum, since his real mum died when he was 1, and he can fix electronic things easily, but was bullied for having a robot mum.

This ended on quite a cliffhanger, and we haven't even met the female protagonist on the cover yet, and yes, Hata using HnG as an advert worked.
Ad Astra Per Aspera is a monthly series.

What the butt I've already read 3 of those series. Lychee Light Club is pretty much the best.

Also, this is just a random aside, but I've read like...a couple series and seen 3 anime now that have switched characters saying "no way!" to "Norway!"

Is this a translator in joke or is this a trend in manga and anime? It's real fucking bizarre whatever it is.

Ore ga Ojou Yada Yada

Welp, I caught up to the current stuff.

What a fun little series. I'm really surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did, probably because there's actually some decent small writing going on underneath the surface. Pretty darn funny too.

I absolutely ADORE that it took 45 chapters of them building up Eri with these brief flashes of how she is and how she was searching out the MC and so when she finally shows up it's like a demon ascending.

Jintor

now that i got a shiny new tablet i guess i'll try and join you bastards

ps i was thinking about hinamatsuri and how it owns. Anybody know the publisher? I'll go pick up trades when I'm down the other end of town later i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom