• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Went to the San Fransisco one, though I've passed by the NYC one multiple times during my many trips into the city (since I live above it). Need to one day remember to go in, also visit Nintendo World.
Also went to Nintendo world. Pretty cool spot although most of the stuff was kinda tourist-y. Definitely a good spot for kids. I lit up random people at smash bros in the second floor. That was cool.

OPM Murata

mmm seems there is a bunch of new mini chapters/stories added to this Hero Hunter arc compared to One's original work.... oh well as long as it is entertaining I don't really mind since it is more content for me.

Fox318

Soma 133

2PMTWC5.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My guess is that if Erina's dad didn't show up she would have ended up serving Soma anyways to prove how much better she is than him (since she would have known he beat Kuga one or two days ((but actually because 'omg soma dokidoki'))

My guess is that if Erina's dad didn't show up she would have ended up serving Soma anyways to prove how much better she is than him (since she would have known he beat Kuga one or two days ((but actually because 'omg soma dokidoki'))

do you guys really think she loves him?

she didn't even know what love was a few chapters back and had to read some Shojo books

Umibozu

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga 52
Shut it down.
Hime-chan :'(
It's strange, with this turn I do not care to learn about those agents or their organization. I kind of want this series to move towards its conclusion. That's all if she stays dead, and I understand I'm being a little selfish.

Tomo-chan 138

There's people who realize Carol is the best character and then there are people who are wrong.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga 52

Dropped.

I wonder if they will ever make Soma themed restaurant with all the recipes of the manga...

I've actually made 4 of the dishes that they made in the manga. They all turned out pretty fucking good.

Tokyo Ghoul:re 42

wTwefSt.jpg

Damn I'm loving smug Touka.😎

This chapter contained lots of dialogue that was pretty important to the overall narrative. I have to say while I can understand why Tsukiyama wants to bring back Kaneki, Touka and Nishiki's decision logically makes sense. They can't just force Kaneki to come back because that would lead to severe consequences. Like Touka said if Kaneki finds himself nowhere to go, Re is here to welcome him openly. It's not like Touka doesn't understand Tsukiyama's feelings.

I forgot to mention but is seems like Nishiki is trying to be like L from Death Note.

miIlK7L.jpg

Character development.

Well Shirazu is looking like a Yakuza. I do like his new look though. It's nice to see some good Worldbuilding and info about a new disease. It seems like the new disease is basically RC Cancer. Shirazu's character development was pretty sweet in this chapter and made me like his character even more. It's pretty sad to see his sister with a huge ass Kagune stuck in her eyes. It reminds me of something from Silent Hill. Anyway we get the reason for why Shirazu became a Ghoul investigator and why he has PTSD issues with Nutcracker. It was to buy RC inhibitors to help his sister's disease and plus his sister said something about being beautiful. The talk between Fura and Shirazu was pretty nice. Fura is a pretty entertaining character, I can see why he's tired of Arima's bullshit especially from Tokyo Ghoul Jack.

It seems like the Qs are going undercover as Ghoul's next chapter.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! ch.135 - 137
Oh come on, Tomo, can't be THAT hard to come up with normal activities for a date.

Prison School ch.189
I'm kind of disappointed as the rest of the boys that the cardboard tank wasn't exactly what they hoped for.

Also Kiyoshi and Hana continue to have the greatest and most convoluted fucking relationship ever. No task is impossible for either of them (except maybe putting panties on someone)

So I'm bored and out of stuff to read and feel like torturing myself, so I'm thinking about getting into HunterXHunter because I keep hearing how good it is.

What about it, specifically, makes it so good? All I ever hear are generalized things about it and I was wondering if I could get a range of opinions before I start.

So I'm bored and out of stuff to read and feel like torturing myself, so I'm thinking about getting into HunterXHunter because I keep hearing how good it is.

What about it, specifically, makes it so good? All I ever hear are generalized things about it and I was wondering if I could get a range of opinions before I start.

Well if you read/watched Yu Yu Hakusho, same guy. HxH is one of the better long running shonen series. Nen is a very complex and interesting powerset, characters are great and well developed and it has Hisoka in it.

But only read it if you can handle the fact that it will probably never be finished.

it'll never end

dani_dc

Prison School ch.189
I'm kind of disappointed as the rest of the boys that the cardboard tank wasn't exactly what they hoped for.

Also Kiyoshi and Hana continue to have the greatest and most convoluted fucking relationship ever. No task is impossible for either of them (except maybe putting panties on someone)

To be fair, why would you ever to put panties on someone else?

Droplet

I never made it through the ant arc because the art got scratchy I couldn't follow it (and it was also kind of gross), but York Shin is great and worth reading the prior parts for.

They look for errors and typos as well as make sure that the script is consistent and has a good flow.

Oh, in my woefully uneducated mind that sounds kind of fun.

Rhapsody

Banned
Domestic na Kanojo 63

She should've feigned ignorance. Say they weren't kissing and that Natsuo is her brother. That they're mistaken from the photo angle.

For a moment, that second half looked ominous. Almost thought she was going to suicide or something.
do you guys really think she loves him?

she didn't even know what love was a few chapters back and had to read some Shojo books

Nope, I don't think she has any feelings for him. Not yet anyways. If Souma can save her and she realizes that he's the son of the guy she had a crush on, then she will.

Imitating shoujo manga would have Erina shipping Hisako and Souma out of a misunderstanding of her friend's feelings, only to realise she fell in love with him instead.

:p

Gakumon! School of Monsters 01-02

Shushu becomes a student at monster academy to become a great wolfman to support his deadbeat father. Expect he's actually a girl and can't let anyone find out.

Haruhara Robinson's series are always the best at comedy.

Goodnight Punpin 13-34

Lots of things hit a little close to home here. The general paranoia that occurs with crushes in grade school is real. I love how you see Punpun in his room in various positions and whatnot after his days just kinda going insane. It's kinda sad seeing him basically lose his innocence, even this early on. I really dig the stuff with Punpun's uncle too. I'm a big fan of how Asano writes adults. They all express lots of feelings of uncertainty and it just feels incredibly sincere. As someone in their 20s, it's something I can really relate to.

It's also amazing how expressive Punpun is despite not being able to make traditional facial expressions. This panel speaks to me-- I know this feeling too well:
iMfSVGZ.png

phaze

-Togashi can't draw
-Terrible world building. Whatever outline Togashi had at the beginning it didn't extend beyond Greed Island or even Yorkshin Arc.
-Gon (mc) sucks
-Most arcs throw 20 to 50 new people at you and very few of them ever return for a meaningful appearance.
-Whether it's a plus or minus depends on you but there's little in the way of overarching story and the arcs are mostly self-contained.

-Yorkshin arc is good
-Ending of Chimera Ant arc is good/great.
-Killua (second mc) is a decent character with good arc.

Tokyo Ghoul 42

"I have faith that he will return to Anteiku ..."

"... but I don't want him to. " That's Touka alright. /s

This RC disease feels like it came out of nowhere, especially should it prove more important other than just being back story for Shirazu. Maybe Ghouls are just people who just have this disease in more manageable but hereditary form.

Glad to see some ripples coming off from Batmon appearance. We still haven't been shown anything regarding Akira's or even CCG's reaction to Takizawa so I'm glad to have this little bit at least.

dani_dc

-Togashi can't draw
-Terrible world building. Whatever outline Togashi had at the beginning it didn't extend beyond Greed Island or even Yorkshin Arc.
-Gon (mc) sucks
-Most arcs throw 20 to 50 new people at you and very few of them ever return for a meaningful appearance.
-Whether it's a plus or minus depends on you but there's little in the way of overarching story and the arcs are mostly self-contained.

-Yorkshin arc is good

Oh wow, someone whose opinion of HxH matches my own!

I would say that Yorkshin arc while good, is dragged down whenever Gon's on scene.

Droplet

Well if you have some spare time and want to make the second volume happen (faster), feel free to shoot me or panda a PM for more details.

I'll see how well I get through this weekend then. I'm not doing too hot on these katakana and matlab things.

-Togashi can't draw

Togashi totally can draw though. For whatever reason his art gets much more sketchy to the point where it's hard to tell what's happening, but it's not really his lack of skill that's a problem.

Gon's not really a bad main character. From the admittedly not much I remember from the series, he's more of a complementary main character that exists to help other characters grow and magnifies their character traits over his own. His simplicity makes the other characters more complex, for lack of a better way to describe it, and more importantly helps to drive the plot forward with little in the way of personal drama.

Zweizer

Banned
Love Death

Huh, so that's what happens when you make 2 yanderes attracted to each other.

The best kind of love~

T-REX na Kanojo

Why am I reading this? Why do I wanna bone these dinosaurs? Why hast thou forsaken me, god?

Monster girls go well with everything!

Goodnight Punpin 13-34

It's also amazing how expressive Punpun is despite not being able to make traditional facial expressions. This panel speaks to me-- I know this feeling too well:
iMfSVGZ.png

Yeah, this aspect of the manga is pretty unique and outstanding. You can easily guess what he's going through through his deliberately crude design.

upandaway

HxH scratches is like 5 chapters out of 349, and some of it was fixed in volumes. It's one of the most overrated problems people point out about it

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
-Togashi can't draw
-Gon (mc) sucks

-Yorkshin arc is good

Tokyo Ghoul 42

"I have faith that he will return to Anteiku ..."

"... but I don't want him to. " That's Touka alright. /s

This RC disease feels like it came out of nowhere, especially should it prove more important other than just being back story for Shirazu. Maybe Ghouls are just people who just have this disease in more manageable but hereditary form.

Glad to see some ripples coming off from Batmon appearance. We still haven't been shown anything regarding Akira's or even CCG's reaction to Suzuya so I'm glad to have this little bit at least.

Opinions and all, but this is a pretty bad one. Especially as a response to someone trying to get into HxH.

The art is fine.
Constantly subverting tropes, including who the MC is.
2 of the best arcs in manga (the others arcs are really damn good still, but the best arcs combine to be over half of th actual manga)
Smart and concise action scenes, things don't drag, for the most part
It basically switches genres every arc, but everything flows very well together.
The writing and the overall storyline is top freaking notch.

The manga is an absolute charm. If you want, also try the HxH 2011 anime afterwards.

Kurita

Just read it brah, that Yorkshin City arc is the most tense I've ever been reading a manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom