• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No but seriously, Saiko's adorable as fuck.

dnfevzE.jpg

You gotta love her reaction face.

Akito

now that i got a shiny new tablet i guess i'll try and join you bastards

ps i was thinking about hinamatsuri and how it owns. Anybody know the publisher? I'll go pick up trades when I'm down the other end of town later i guess
Enterbrain

Re:Marina 27-34

I'm glad he's starting to shape up and stop being so whiny. Until something happens and he goes back.

Manager is quite a catch though~

Lain

2FTMYY7.png
<- all credit to Haly for this beauty

Welcome to the (late) NeoGAF Manga Reading Club for the month of September! What began as an effort by a bunch of nerds to force each other to read certain titles has expanded into a reading club that anyone can participate in, with a focus on picking a variety of lesser-known quality titles from all periods and genres of Japanese comic book history.

We've selected a series of authors to highlight each month, with occasional months dedicated to a certain topic or genre. This month's subject is Usamaru Furuya, a world renowned and critically acclaimed author. We will pick one series each week by the author of the month or befitting that month's topic, and talk about that series during that week.

Short Cuts

Lychee Light Club

Music of Marie

Genkaku Picasso

BIG REMINDER

Future Months Planned (tentative)

Horror
Japanese "Culture"
Fantasy
Taiyo Matsumoto
Osamu Tezuka
LGBT (yaoi/yuri/shounen ai/shoujo ai/etc.)

Previous Reading Clubs:

Moto Hagio

Only one I haven't read yet is Music of Marie, so I'll read that. When is Mohiro Kitoh getting added to the list though?!

Zweizer

Banned
2FTMYY7.png
<- all credit to Haly for this beauty

Welcome to the (late) NeoGAF Manga Reading Club for the month of September! What began as an effort by a bunch of nerds to force each other to read certain titles has expanded into a reading club that anyone can participate in, with a focus on picking a variety of lesser-known quality titles from all periods and genres of Japanese comic book history.

We've selected a series of authors to highlight each month, with occasional months dedicated to a certain topic or genre. This month's subject is Usamaru Furuya, a world renowned and critically acclaimed author. We will pick one series each week by the author of the month or befitting that month's topic, and talk about that series during that week.

Short Cuts

Lychee Light Club

Music of Marie

Genkaku Picasso

The only one I haven't read yet is Lychee Light Club. Guess I'll do that next.

Holy Crap, I love Short Cuts! With only like a dozen chapters it's a tiny time investment and I'm confident anyone will be happy that they did.

Short Cuts is great fun and relatively short, but it's pretty different from the rest of Usamaru Furuya's works.

Please save my Earth vol 4

The 4th wall breaking is strong in this one.

Here we have one of the less good parts of the series, Alice negating she is Mokuren, even if us the readers know she totally is, AND she has hard concrete evidence of her dream being real, as she was the only one who could draw their faces.
It's interesting how Shion is biased against himself (he hates himself?) and therefore he presents biased comments of how Alices likes him because she still hasn't remembered all that happened. It makes the reader expect a twist down the road, and
the twist is that he wasn't right, she really loves him, and you can't trust everything he says.
The play of Shion-Shukaido being swapped because what it went between them in the base is great.

Usobuko

Banned
Poor Hina. She's the main character, yet she seems to be by far the least liked of the trio (or quartet), lol.

It's cool. My favorite brat in manga is Hina who is always seeking for some sort of fatherly affection from Nitta. Love it when she constantly shows irk at Nitta obsession with chinese vases.

phaze

It seems the translators screwed up on translating the scene with Shirazu and his sister.

Here's what it really says

That line is really significant to Shirazu's character and it connects way back to Nutcracker's last words of I want to be beautiful.

Well that certainly makes his reaction to her death more understandable.

Yeah, deliberate. It seems the author was a fan.

Here, have another one
http://i.imgur.com/0IKB3Ks.png

Why, thank you ! Hyouga too lewd.

Why, thank you ! Hyouga too lewd.

A curious thing is that the manga started in 1987. Despite the jokes, it usually treats homosexuality like a perverted thing, something to avoid and be ashamed, so it shows the age (and nation of origin, as Japan isn't exactly progressive). In 2015 in the western world there would be negativity from the public if a mainstream series would do the same.

Usobuko

Banned
Genkaku Picasso > Music of Marie >>> Short Cuts

This probably doesn't come as a surprise because I tend to favour episodic story with themes that are emotionally poignant. See my undying love for all things Mushishi.

Revo

Tsuyokute Kakkoii Joshi wa Suki desu ka? 9

lol, out of it just carrying the weights
gonna need strength training asap

Seraph of the End 1-15

This basically covered the same material the anime did, and for the most part the anime was fairly faithful. The only noticeable things the series dropped were Mika telling Yu his parents abused him before he was given for adoption, along with the little girl's father berating Yuu for saving them the latter of which made that whole series of events make a lot more sense. I dunno if its just the scans I'm reading or of it was toned down in the anime but there is this running gag about Yuu being a virgin that kind of caught me off guard.

Seraph of the End is still dumb shonen shlock, but its entertaining enough to keep me reading.

Usobuko

Banned
Where would you rank Lychee Light Club? I haven't read this one yet.

I stumble upon this when I look into his works. To be honest though, I just can't get into it. It's pretty similar to Suehiro Maruo's works except those are more of my jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom