• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm bored and out of stuff to read and feel like torturing myself, so I'm thinking about getting into HunterXHunter because I keep hearing how good it is.

What about it, specifically, makes it so good? All I ever hear are generalized things about it and I was wondering if I could get a range of opinions before I start.

Well, it's just good writing.

It's a mix of the author writing stuff that
- makes sense in a sensible, logical manner in the world
- is able to do powerful narrative beats with unexpected twists, sacrifices, great suspense, stories of vengeance, friendship or love, etc
- a big attention to the little details, from how the "magic" system works to how a election develops to the political situation in a third world country.
- a particular taste by the author of wanting to do something slightly different, unexpected, to surprise the reader and engage with him with mind games

Nanatsu no taizai - 139

Poor Jericho lol

Next chapter we'll know Ban's history time.

Tokyo Ghoul:re - 42

The opening exchange with Tsukiyama and Touka was interesting. I wasn't expecting them to be rational about it. Shirazu is finally going to up his game! Operation Masks...I wodner if it'll stir up some kaneki memories in Haise.

Fairy Tail 451

Does Natsu realize he's the "end" yet or is his proclamation that he'll beat Zeref with a new secret technique just shonen mc doing generic shonen mc stuff?

thenexus6

Anyone familar with the manga Inuyashiki? A guy I watch on youtube had it in his latest manga haul video. Never read anything else the creator has done in the past. But the premise seems interesting, plus only one volume has been released in the UK.

Numb

Anyone familar with the manga Inuyashiki? A guy I watch on youtube had it in his latest manga haul video. Never read anything else the creator has done in the past. But the premise seems interesting, plus only one volume has been released in the UK.

Gantz dude made it i believe. The premise is nice and having an older dude as the MC in this sort of manga is rare. Wish it was better pulled off tho. Check it out if curious enough.

phaze

Oh wow, someone whose opinion of HxH matches my own!

I would say that Yorkshin arc while good, is dragged down whenever Gon's on scene.

It's hostile world out there for us, HxH greatness deniers. ;)

Togashi totally can draw though. For whatever reason his art gets much more sketchy to the point where it's hard to tell what's happening, but it's not really his lack of skill that's a problem.

Gon's not really a bad main character. From the admittedly not much I remember from the series, he's more of a complementary main character that exists to help other characters grow and magnifies their character traits over his own. His simplicity makes the other characters more complex, for lack of a better way to describe it, and more importantly helps to drive the plot forward with little in the way of personal drama.

I mean, sure yes he can draw. But even if you exclude his more egregious chapters I find his art in HxH subpar to say; Naruto, One Piece, Bleach. Not fond of his character designs either.

Opinions and all, but this is a pretty bad one. Especially as a response to someone trying to get into HxH.

But he wanted "a range of opinions.":>

Usobuko

Banned
For what it's worth, even the HxH deniers opinions shown some positive reception towards the manga. That makes it worthy of a read in my eyes. This is coming from someone in between both camps, leaning towards the notion that HxH is more good than great.

I would say the best part of HxH is it doesn't exactly follow a stylistic narrative pattern many Battle Shounen can be guilty of.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well I think she has feelings she doesn't understand.

She's a tsundere ojou, of course she does. I'd like to think she's not going to be copying Nikumi anytime soon.

Fairy Tail 451

Does Natsu realize he's the "end" yet or is his proclamation that he'll beat Zeref with a new secret technique just shonen mc doing generic shonen mc stuff?

Natsu has no idea he's Zeref's brother. This seems to be actually heading towards a last arc though, which is weird.

Witchcraft Works Vol.06

3AHgJDP.png

whew and so ends the weekend

reading this in volume form actually makes this long arc not feel that long, sure it did take up like two volumes but I guess not having to wait 1.5 months for a new chapter eases the length

also maybe he'll finally kiss her on the lips the third time she dies wwwwwwwww

Zweizer

Banned
Ore ga Ojou-sama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Rachirareta Ken ch45

It's not easy to be a loner.

Still, gotta get the popcorn ready.

"I have faith that he will return to Anteiku ..."

"... but I don't want him to. " That's Touka alright. /s

This RC disease feels like it came out of nowhere, especially should it prove more important other than just being back story for Shirazu. Maybe Ghouls are just people who just have this disease in more manageable but hereditary form.

Glad to see some ripples coming off from Batmon appearance. We still haven't been shown anything regarding Akira's or even CCG's reaction to Suzuya so I'm glad to have this little bit at least.

It seems the translators screwed up on translating the scene with Shirazu and his sister.

Here's what it really says
The original Japanese text is like this:

ギン…に…ちゃ…
…おに…ん……に……たい…
…おひ…ま…み…いに…
…レイ…に…

The gaps have to be filled like this:
ギンシお兄ちゃん...
お兄ちゃん... キレイになりたい...
おひめさまみたいに...
キレイに...

Translates to:
Ginshi-oniichan...
Oniichan... I want to be beautiful...
As beautiful as...
A princess...

That's the reason why Nutcracker's last line hit him so much. It's the same thing his sister is always saying.

That line is really significant to Shirazu's character and it connects way back to Nutcracker's last words of I want to be beautiful.

T-Rex Kanajo ch.11 - 13
Trica is one clever girl. And poor Churio, being so lonely (and easily flattered).

Love/Death ch.6 - 7 END
I'd say these two have their love figured out pretty well and don't need any guidance.

Pretty good short series.

Nukoduke! ch.62 - 64
Huh. Small world indeed.

Also dammit Inori chapters never fail to make feel sad. Just the sweetest girl ever and she's a ghost.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! ch.138
I always believed Carol-chan was best girl. This chapter is further proof of that.

Please save my Earth vol 2

It was all fun and games, but they start confusing their dream lives with the real lives.

The number of characters start to grow, and the web of relationships also extend. Let's see if I do a little compilation, even if it's just for myself.

Alice -> Mokuren, botanist, in relation with Shion
Jinpachi -> Gyokuran, archeologist, likes Mokuren, old friend of Shion
Issei -> Enju, palenteologist, likes Gyokuran
Rin, aka S-Kun -> Shion, engineer
Daisuke -> Hiiragi, linguist and Leader of the mission
? -> Shuukaidou, doctor
Sakura -> Shusran, chemist, friend of Enju

Takashi, bike gang leader, blackmailed by S-Kun, son of powerful business guy
Tamura-san, assisant of the Takashi's family, "Takashi's mom"
Haruiko / Haru-chan, sick guy helped by Tamura before, the father is doing the design for Tokyo's tower

Natsu has no idea he's Zeref's brother. This seems to be actually heading towards a last arc though, which is weird.

Yeah it seemed like things were maybe 60% done now it's at the 90% marker. It's weird. Guess readership must have tanked. Which sucks because despite how awful the characters are and how mediocre the world building is (seriously there's this WHOLE OTHER CONTINENT that just go brought up now?), the powers and fights are really nicely done and the art is great.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah it seemed like things were maybe 60% done now it's at the 90% marker. It's weird. Guess readership must have tanked. Which sucks because despite how awful the characters are and how mediocre the world building is (seriously there's this WHOLE OTHER CONTINENT that just go brought up now?), the powers and fights are really nicely done and the art is great.

I think he actually came up with a plot; there was a story that he had really bad writer's block for a while and just made up mini-boss squads to pad it out.

I think he actually came up with a plot; there was a story that he had really bad writer's block for a while and just made up mini-boss squads to pad it out.

Which is great but throwing all this plot at you for what I am going to assume is the last arc (where do you go from here if it's not?) just seems contrived. Stretch it out a little more ya know? Build things a bit don't just throw all that ZEREF ZEREF ZEREF ZEREF at me all at once.

Chikotan, Kowareru 01-02

A quiet girl who never talks to anyone and always wears a scarf and headphones, a guy with a voice fetish and a really annoying girl takes part in this romantic comedy.

lol, two chapters and the guy has been traumatized twice already

Shokugeki no Soma 132-133

First seat is so cool~

Will be really nice and awesome if Tadokoro follows his footsteps~

Oh and whatever about whatsherface's dad

Yeah chalk me up to the lonely camp of people who don't like HxH. I think there are certain sections of the manga that are done incredibly well (for instance, the arc everyone mentions) but I also think that a lot of things people point out as the great parts of it in total never are and so the summation isn't at the level that a lot of people claim it's at. Don't really feel like getting into it tho, I know it's not a popular opinion and it's rarely fun to ever actually engage in discussion about it.

Tokyo Ghoul: Re 42

As someone who adored Tokyo Ghoul I have no reason why right from the very start of RE I just have been so confused and lost and not understood a single second of what's been going on. I don't know who any of the characters are, what is happening, nothing. They'll reveal a character and 9 times out of 10 I'm just like "Who the fuck is this?" It's really weird but I just find it incredibly hard to follow for some reason. I'll see characters I know show up and it's all cool but then shit goes down and I just get lost again. I don't even have a decent explanation like the art or plot or anything, it just is like some weird...thing that I just never understand what's going on.

Nanatsu no Taizai 139

I really liked this manga when it started out but oh my god did power levels bullshit ruin the potential this manga had. Straight up made it incredibly unenjoyable. So when there are chapters like this that are more plot focused and put away that annoying bullshit it's back to being entertaining. Unless that plot centers around characters who died in very emotional or massive ways coming back from not really dead, by which I mean every single person who has died. Ugh. This manga had such potential.

Rikidou 31

Riki gon put another person in the morgue. Waiting for the fight he loses. We already have a manga where the rookie boxer never loses.

Assassination Classroom 154

Nice, exam stuff is always good. Hopefully it washes the bad taste of the last couple chapters and where the plot's heading out of my mouth.

I also was throwing around random ideas while I was reading and thought it'd be a mindfuck of incredible proportions if Sensei was in this for the long con and in the end he has to actually be assassinated or like was looking for a replacement God of Death or some shit. Incredibly unlikely but the thought amused me.

Ana no Satsujin, everything up to current chapter

What a weird manga. I have to say when
Ana died
I flipped out because the fact that the manga CONTINUES after that was real fucking risky. Like...damn yo. That's a real interesting place to take this manga.

Dungeon no Hestia Boobies 42

Something that's bugged me the whole time about this amazing and awesome part of the manga/anime is that...does no one see this isn't a normal minotaur. Like, it was trained up specifically to be fucking ridiculously strong and given a sword and no one points out that this is sorta weird? That minotaurs aren't normally this strong or carry those weapons? That it even LOOKS significantly different than a normal minotaur? No one put 1 and 1 together? The audience he gets and he himself have literally seen minotaurs before and everyone just is like (spoiler about the next couple chapters)
"Wow, he beat a minotaur that was intense." instead of "He put a minotaur that is WAY stronger than a normal one, that's pretty much impossible."
It was a small thing that bugged me because no one seeing or pointing it out destroys the entire plot point of making it stronger in the first place.

Sekai Oni 89

rip side chars

Gas Mask Legless-chan was the only side character worth keeping around.

Kinda really dislike it when mangaka create a really interesting character, either in design or...uh, character, then have them do nothing but die. Like what's the fucking point?

Revo

Gas Mask Legless-chan was the only side character worth keeping around.

Kinda really dislike it when mangaka create a really interesting character, either in design or...uh, character, then have them do nothing but die. Like what's the fucking point?

death tolls are super important in series with death
plus it makes the mc more important

Tokyo Ghoul: Re 42

As someone who adored Tokyo Ghoul I have no reason why right from the very start of RE I just have been so confused and lost and not understood a single second of what's been going on. I don't know who any of the characters are, what is happening, nothing. They'll reveal a character and 9 times out of 10 I'm just like "Who the fuck is this?" It's really weird but I just find it incredibly hard to follow for some reason. I'll see characters I know show up and it's all cool but then shit goes down and I just get lost again. I don't even have a decent explanation like the art or plot or anything, it just is like some weird...thing that I just never understand what's going on.

I can see where you are coming from, but I still don't find the plot or characters hard to understand. About the too many characters in CCG, it really isn't that many characters especially when Tokyo Ghoul had just as much. All those CCG investigators in the Auction Arc were mostly fodder characters, they weren't supposed to be remembered. Most of those characters were from a CCG Contest the Author did. Where people would draw characters and write about there favorite hobbies and etc. And out of all those characters only one individual's drawn character would survive.

Other than that most of the Investigators were in Tokyo Ghoul as well like Ui, Hirako, Kuramoto, Akira, Fura (from Tokyo Ghoul Jack), and etc. The only new investigators in Re is Kijima, Ihei, Shimoguchi, Kuriowa, and Matsuri. The Investigators are there to give CCG a personality.

As for the plot I really don't see anything confusing and Ishida has been connecting plot points in the very beginning. The narrative seems to be heading to a interesting direction. I guess there's a difference between reading Weekly and binge reading. Re is probably better read in one go rather than reading it weekly considering the author develops the series gradually. However for me reading Weekly is enjoyable and the plot has not been confusing for me. Though I can see why this chapter may have been confusing as it was dialogue heavy.

Inferno 01

The story of a butler who goes out to obtain the illegal ingredients in a lawless world.

First chapter was a bit all over the place. Mostly in trying to set up how the world is, dunno if it gets better though

Wiseblade

One Piece

SO MUCH HYPE

I knew that these characters were going to become Straw Hat affiliates, but I didn’t think it'd be so explicit. Odds are Luffy will initially refuse to lead them, but I can totally see him allowing to sail under his flag, calling him boss and meeting up for a party or two.

SUPER HYPE THO

Seraph of the End

I only read it because it's there, but it's reaching the point where I'm struggling to justify taking the time to read something I'm not enjoying. I'll give a another few chapters since it looks like things are starting to pick up.

Does anyone actually enjoy this?

So I finally finished catching up to One Piece and I have to say it was much better reading the whole Dressrosa arc in one go, rather than reading it weekly in the beginning. However it did have a few issues with spreading screentime between characters a bit thin and having half the straw hats being neglected. Although I could see the reason why this occurred as Oda was trying to lead all these new characters to form a Pirate Alliance like Whitebeard for instance. While the arc did have its misses it did have its hits such as God Ussop, Bartolemeo, Doflamingo, and Ishho.

As a arc it was pretty weak compared to say Alabasta which the theme was kinda of similar to Dressrossa. The reason I say this is because the fights weren't spread thin and the overall pace and direction was consistent. All in all the arc wasn't terrible because it did have its highlights.

Ore ga Ojou-sama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Rachirareta Ken 45 -- Man I love this manga so much. And I love how they've been building up Eri's debut, making her introduction in this chapter just so frightening. Such a great manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom